• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT3| How's That? Owned, Suckah!

Sigmaah

Someone I added has growlithe in there safari... FUCK YES, looks like I know what I'm breeding next!

Someone here needed a palpitoad right? Got a safari with them if you still need it!

Hey guys, new player here. I haven't touched Pokemon since Silver (the original, not the remake).

Competitive battling sounds really fun & interesting, but I have no clue how it works and breeding sounds a little tedious. Are there any super simple guides as to how to go about breeding for competitive battles / and how to go about beginning competitive battles?

I've tried google fu, but most of the conversation goes right over my head.

Try YouTube. Or Bulbabedia. Start with understanding IVs, then EVs, then natures, then abilities, then breeding. If you can get those down you'll be alright. It is complicated though.

spiritfox

There's the breeding guide in the OP, which covers all the basics. Then you can try Smogon's strategy dex for some basic movesets and tips for the Pokemon you want to use. They don't have the latest data though, but it's a start.

Hey guys, new player here. I haven't touched Pokemon since Silver (the original, not the remake).

Competitive battling sounds really fun & interesting, but I have no clue how it works and breeding sounds a little tedious. Are there any super simple guides as to how to go about breeding for competitive battles / and how to go about beginning competitive battles?

I've tried google fu, but most of the conversation goes right over my head.

Its actually crazy to me just how in-depth it is I battled Upandaway today just for kicks knowing I'd lose and I still enjoyed the hell out of it, these new version do a good job of streamlining a lot of the tedium though such just read bulbapedia as was said and ask for help here I am sure people will assist if they can.

Try YouTube. Or Bulbabedia. Start with understanding IVs, then EVs, then natures, then abilities, then breeding. If you can get those down you'll be alright. It is complicated though.

There's the breeding guide in the OP, which covers all the basics. Then you can try Smogon for some basic movesets and tips for the Pokemon you want to use.

Its actually crazy to me just how in-depth it is I battled Upandaway today just for kicks knowing I'd lose and I still enjoyed the hell out of it, these new version do a good job of streamlining a lot of the tedium though such just read bulbapedia as was said and ask for help here I am sure people will assist if they can.

Thanks a lot guys, appreciated. So I'll try the OP (didn't realise there was a guide) and Smogon.

Thanks again!

EDIT: I believe Smogon only has info up to Pokemon Black & White 2 only?

EDIT: I believe Smogon only has info up to Pokemon Black & White 2 only?
The details do change from gen to gen, but the general techniques have remained the same throughout the games (teambuilding ideas, standard roles, basic strategy, etc.)

If you're just starting out, you'll do fine.

NEO0MJ

I know this pokemon has been gifted a lot of times, but does anyone want a timid Larvesta with 4 IVs in the right stats? I have 5 males and 5 females.

Also, what are some viable stealth rock/spike planters? I know of Ferrothorn, Skarmory and Forretress but any other viable options?

Question: Does Destiny Knot pass down 5IVs from the parent holding the knot or from both parents mutually?

It passes them on randomly from both parents.

backlot

OK, the other question is, where do I find a second Destiny Knot? Everywhere on the net states to check for some chick in Luminose, but I'm having zero luck.

Yeah, she's in an alley somewhere and she gives you one after you fight her. She isn't always there though so you might have to check back another day.

NEO0MJ

OK, the other question is, where do I find a second Destiny Knot? Everywhere on the net states to check for some chick in Luminose, but I'm having zero luck.

You can find her in an alley between the main city circle and one of the Plazas, the places with a red/blue/etc statue in the middle. Why do you need another one, anyway?

Azure J

You can find her in an alley between the main city circle and one of the Plazas, the places with a red/blue/etc statue in the middle. Why do you need another one, anyway?

I was thinking about shenanigans involving giving both breeding parents a knot to hold if they have multiple IVs to be passed downward.

NEO0MJ

I was thinking about shenanigans involving giving both breeding parents a knot to hold if they have multiple IVs to be passed downward.

Having both of them carry it won't make any difference, the new pokemon will still inherit only 5 of the IVs randomly from both parents. If you want you can either give one of them a power item to guarantee that one of the stats you want will get carried on (such as giving the parent with perfect speed a power anklet to guarantee that its speed stat will be inherited) or an Everstone to guarantee that the offspring will inherit the nature of the parent holding it.

I think in past gens everstone was <100%. Maybe even as low as 50%...

Sylveon's will be great once Pokebank is out and Hyper Voice Eevees are out in the open.
But those will be DW Eevee (unless Hyper Voice is an egg move).

239 hours into Pokemon X and I'm just finding out about wild battle items? I hit a Graveler with surf on Victory Road and a rock in the scenery's background broke open. At the end of the battle it told me I found a Damp Rock. This is awesome!

http://www.serebii.net/xy/wilditems.shtml
I've got nearly all the berries from that but the last few are being a pain (they're all the not very good "raises x when hit by a super effective y type move" too).

Soule

Sooooo I beat the game with my little Fletchinder at level like 75 or so because I wanted to have a really shitty unevolved team the first time I beat the elite 4... but it appears I've lost my chance to learn the 'Brave Bird' attack by keeping him unevolved for so long, is there any chance to recover that move or do I have a gimped birdy :(

Sooooo I beat the game with my little Fletchinder at level like 75 or so because I wanted to have a really shitty unevolved team the first time I beat the elite 4... but it appears I've lost my chance to learn the 'Brave Bird' attack by keeping him unevolved for so long, is there any chance to recover that move or do I have a gimped birdy :(
Move relearner.
Weird. I had a Japanese FS Ditto holding a Destiny Knot breed with an english Gale Wings Fletchling with an Everstone. Out of 21 eggs, 16 were Gale Wings, 5 came out with Big Pecks.
Everstone works on natures not abilities.

But those will be DW Eevee (unless Hyper Voice is an egg move).

I think it's a tut-move like with Gard.

... I HOPE they make tut moves turn into Egg Moves when these Pokemon come over or at least bring over a tut person. I tried really hard to get these 2 shiny Ralts with all-most-prefect IVs ... only to find that the the strongest possible Fairy attack for the one I was gonna make the Mega Gard is a tut move that's stuck in a game I can't go back to. :[

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Moonblast has pretty decent BP already anyway. Being able to hit through subs is great though.

Also goddamn after breeding pokemon who liked each other for awhile, going back to breeding pokemon who don't like each other is a pain.

Still, I'll soon have my roselias with leaf storm, sleep powder and spikes as its egg moves. Not even sure if I want leaf storm or sleep powder, but oh well.

Top Bottom