• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT3| How's That? Owned, Suckah!

Usobuko said:
Can Togekiss learn Defog Pre Bank?

It can learn it in DPPt as far as I know. Thankfully, pokes with Defog can be transfered over to HGSS and whatnot because Defog technically isn't an HM in any of the future games - I think the same applies to, say, Whirlpool in DPPt.

That being said, I don't know if it can transfer to babies, meaning you'd have to get your near-perfect toge (wow such hard very breed) in Gen 4.

Can someone test and see if HMs pass to the kids like TMs? Defunct HMs, too? Like, something with whirlpool, for example.

Tiamant

Does anyone have a bug egg group with good IV's? (preferably male)

I can give good grass, field and flying types in exchange!

Diggersby tho?

It's actually a bannable offense now. :lol

I have the handle "diggerby says:" taken on Showdown for mid-morning trolling thanks to the /me command. Example:

"diggerby says: need a special wall? try Assault Vest Avalugg!"

EDIT: I really hope there are Defog or Rapid Spin tutors in Z. There aren't nearly enough to make use of as-is. Is Tentacruel any good this gen? I'm considering trying to run an Assault Vest set with Rapid Spin for it but I don't know if it's actually any fun to use.

Same with Forretress - he's neat but dreadfully overused. Any gimmick sets available for him not named Sturdy Custap?

Also, they really better give Articuno and Empoleon megas in the future - Articuno has a crazy awesome movepool including Tailwind and Defog and a pretty neat typing, despite all the weaknesses. Its stats are just so awful. Maybe Mega Articuno with Snow Warning could work.

Empoleon needs one too. Defog support in addition to countering Fairies now is awesome, but once again his stats are holding him back.

DaBoss

I just hatched a shiny froakie but it has the wrong ability........... I'm just shocked and appalled. Goddammit.
Welcome to my world. In Gen 5, whenever I bred for shinies, I only bred just to get a shiny, didn't really care about the abilities, but this gen I want to get competitive shinies that I like. It killed me that my first MM (Froakie) for Gen 6 had terrible IVs and the wrong ability.

Usobuko

Banned
I'm pretty sure if Pokemon Z has B/W + B2/W2 move tutors, I will buy it. Some new Mega Evolutions ( bound to happen ) would be icing on the cake. After X and Y, I find it hard to go back to the previous iterations.

What are the common solutions to stats boosting pokemons? With priority moves being much more readily distributed than previous generations, I'm usually more concerned with defensively set ups.

Besides, roaring/whirlwinding, unaware Clefable/Quagsire? Wearing them down with status doesn't help as most run rest. What else?

Wichu

Yeah, they've banned it under the support clause (it makes it too easy for the rest of your team to sweep by trapping and taking out their counters).

I haven't used it or played against it much, but I can see where they're coming from.

I'm pretty sure if Pokemon Z has B/W + B2/W2 move tutors, I will buy it. Some new Mega Evolutions ( bound to happen ) would be icing on the cake. After X and Y, I find it hard to go back to the previous iterations.

What are the common solutions to stats boosting pokemons? With priority moves being much more readily distributed than previous generations, I'm usually more concerned with defensively set ups.

Besides, roaring/whirlwinding, unaware Clefable/Quagsire?

There's Malamar, whose attack Topsy-Turvy inverts stat changes. Clear Smog is a base power 50 move with limited availability, but hits everything but Steels and negates stat changes just like Haze.

A new one working its way into the metagame is Sniper "Ragecrit" Kingdra, who uses Scope Lens and Focus Energy to bring its crit rate to 3x (100%), as crits not only ignore the opponent's stat changes, but your stat drops, as well. Crits got nerfed to do 1.5x but Sniper ups them back to 2x. Additionally, since the guaranteed crit ratio is linked to the items and not the high critical hit rate of a given move, Kingdra's entire remaining movepool is consistently doing double damage and ignoring stat changes on top of STAB.

The key move of the set is Draco Meteor - even though it harshly drops special attack, Kingdra doesn't give a fuck because it's still landing consistently Unaware, double-power hits on virtually everything in the metagame. Surf / Hydro Pump hits all fairies hard with the exception of Whimsicott, and Hidden Power Fire can be used for type coverage against it and potential Ice or Steel-type opponents.

To put it in perspective, a guy over on Smogon ran some damage calculations against some of the premiere special walls of this gen and Draco Meteor / Hydro Pump bare minimum 2HKOs just about everything in the metagame, save for 3HKOing Blissey.

The main problem is that Kingdra's defensive stats aren't great, nor is its speed, thanks to using Sniper over Swift Swim. I've been mitigating that with Focus Sash Combusken running Protect / Reversal / Focus Energy / Baton Pass. You gain speed boosts, use Sash to get pumped, and then I pass it to Assault Vest Kingdra with Draco Meteor / Hydro Pump / Hidden Power Fire / Clear Smog (to handle Azumarill and potentially lower stat changes from Belly Drum). Just make sure you kill off any potential priority spammers before Combusken is out.

Come to think of it, has any set like this flown under the radar in previously-viable gens before? Kingdra's had the Draco Meteor / Sniper option available since HGSS, iirc.

FSLink

Banned
Yeah, seriously, Mega Gengar is amazing when used right. Just use it to practically guarantee taking out any of your team's counters and you're good to go.

Growlie19

Oh wow, they're (well, Smogon) actually banning Mega Gengar? I don't even think he's THAT good...

Wait, not Mega Kangaskhan?! I've had way more casualties to her than Mega Gengar. Talonflame and Greninja give me more problems than Gengar could ever dream.

There's Malamar, whose attack Topsy-Turvy inverts stat changes. Clear Smog is a base power 50 move with limited availability, but hits everything but Steels and negates stat changes just like Haze.

A new one working its way into the metagame is Sniper "Ragecrit" Kingdra, who uses Scope Lens and Focus Energy to bring its crit rate to 3x (100%), as crits not only ignore the opponent's stat changes, but your stat drops, as well. Crits got nerfed to do 1.5x but Sniper ups them back to 2x. Additionally, since the guaranteed crit ratio is linked to the items and not the high critical hit rate of a given move, Kingdra's entire remaining movepool is consistently doing double damage and ignoring stat changes on top of STAB.

The key move of the set is Draco Meteor - even though it harshly drops special attack, Kingdra doesn't give a fuck because it's still landing consistently Unaware, double-power hits on virtually everything in the metagame. Surf / Hydro Pump hits all fairies hard with the exception of Whimsicott, and Hidden Power Fire can be used for type coverage against it and potential Ice or Steel-type opponents.

To put it in perspective, a guy over on Smogon ran some damage calculations against some of the premiere special walls of this gen and Draco Meteor / Hydro Pump bare minimum 2HKOs just about everything in the metagame, save for 3HKOing Blissey.

The main problem is that Kingdra's defensive stats aren't great, nor is its speed, thanks to using Sniper over Swift Swim. I've been mitigating that with Focus Sash Combusken running Protect / Reversal / Focus Energy / Baton Pass. You gain speed boosts, use Sash to get pumped, and then I pass it to Assault Vest Kingdra with Draco Meteor / Hydro Pump / Hidden Power Fire / Clear Smog (to handle Azumarill and potentially lower stat changes from Belly Drum). Just make sure you kill off any potential priority spammers before Combusken is out.

Come to think of it, has any set like this flown under the radar in previously-viable gens before? Kingdra's had the Draco Meteor / Sniper option available since HGSS, iirc.

Shhh...don't inform the masses! :D

Usobuko

Banned

Pretty informative, especially the tibits on Kingdra. Thank You,

If this happens I would seriously give thought to quitting this gen right there and then. Its ridiculous to go on the air about they won't do DLC as they would have to make something that is worth $1 and yet charge $40 for some move tutors you'll most likely need to stay competitive (welcome to trading cards 101)...until next gen they pull this classic tournament rule out "raised in Gen 7 only...no more prankster parting shot, stealth rock everything or whatever other semi-broken tutors we add".
its going to be Dazzling glean that get removed from TMs and egg moves. right?

Hopefully now if egg moves do get added they'll get patched into base XY.

If this happens I would seriously give thought to quitting this gen right there and then. Its ridiculous to go on the air about they won't do DLC as they would have to make something that is worth $1 and yet charge $40 for some move tutors you'll most likely need to stay competitive (welcome to trading cards 101)...until next gen they pull this classic tournament rule out "raised in Gen 7 only...no more prankster parting shot, stealth rock everything or whatever other semi-broken tutors we add".
its going to be Dazzling glean that get removed from TMs and egg moves. right?

Hopefully now if egg moves do get added they'll get patched into base XY.

Egg moves would still work in XY, mind you. With all the generous dudes here in XYGAF it probably wouldn't be too hard to get Defog Scolipede, Draco Meteor Ampharos, etc.

...and while there's still some changes I'd make, I really love how much XY is buffing some of my golden oldies. Togekiss is now immune some of the most prevalent attacking types in the metagame, Kingdra has a consistent way to hit harder than some of the past special attackers combined, Chandelure completely annihilates some of the resident stallers and got re-balanced thanks to the Shadow Tag / Infiltrator switch...

Usobuko

Banned
One thing I don't get is why is SnipCrit Kingdra making its way back to the metagame when crit was nerfed in Gen 6? Was it because it gain new moves this generation?

upandaway

I've been using Crit Kingdra ever since it got Sniper (never knew about crits ignoring draco meteor debuff though), but it's only really viable this gen because of the 100% crit rate.
Feels pretty good, he's one of my favorite Pokemon.

I only stumbled upon this trick by chance too, whippy is witness.

One thing I don't get is why is SnipCrit Kingdra making its way back to the metagame when crit was nerfed in Gen 6? Was it because it gain new moves this generation?

Gen 6 made it so that buffing your critical hate rate 3x will have a 100% chance of a critical. Kingdra can Focus Energy, and wear a Scope Lens, which means all of his attacks will have deal a critical hit.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
He loses his most powerful stab though, and m gardevoir is probably bulky enough to survive one critical, especially mega gard.

upandaway

Today Gengar OHKOd my Kingdra with Dazzling Gleam (and I still haven't switched his HP EVs to speex), so yeah he's still not worth having checks for or anything. Baton Pass Speed Boost could be amazing on him though, or Agility.

edit: Sticky Web I guess

NEO0MJ

Today Gengar OHKOd my Kingdra with Dazzling Gleam (and I still haven't switched his HP EVs to speex), so yeah he's still not worth having checks for or anything. Baton Pass Speed Boost could be amazing on him though, or Agility.

edit: Sticky Web I guess

Sticky Web is a great and non risky way to give your team a speed boost. As awesome as it is baton passing quiver dances to Hydreigon if I loose my Venomoth before that I just wasted an entire pokeslot for nothing.

Morokh

Finally was able to correct my Scyther EV spread ... missed it by 2 points, and had to wait 2 days to get the right berry ...

Now I need a bit of help to evolve it, anyone up ?

Sticky Web is a great and non risky way to give your team a speed boost. As awesome as it is baton passing quiver dances to Hydreigon if I loose my Venomoth before that I just wasted an entire pokeslot for nothing.

Shame that it does nothing to Flying types or Pokemon with Levitate.

Sigmaah

Finally was able to correct my Scyther EV spread ... missed it by 2 points, and had to wait 2 days to get the right berry ...

Now I need a bit of help to evolve it, anyone up ?

I'll be home in like 2 hours or so, if no one gets to you by then, I'll gladly help you out!

Anyone else really disappointed that you can't watch uploaded battle videos by searching for certain pokemon anymore?

One of my favourite things to do back in Black was watch battle videos of people using "crappy" pokemon in interesting and useful ways

Top Bottom