• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT3| How's That? Owned, Suckah!

FYI, guys, the Target next to the HQ had the 2DS bundle out yesterday.

It's actually really dumb because Target only gets the X bundle while Toys-R-Us only gets the Y bundle. Nintendo of America, what the fuck are you doing? ._.

It's actually really dumb because Target only gets the X bundle while Toys-R-Us only gets the Y bundle. Nintendo of America, what the fuck are you doing? ._.

I'm considering getting another 3DS with X to help with trades and stuff and my girlfriend could use it but I hate the idea of splitting my game library.

Tirael

What's even worse, the red 2DS has X, and the blue 2DS has Y. OCD Power, Activate!

I'm Wonder Trading off breeding leftovers right now. Getting a lot of different breeding leftovers in exchange. Interesting stuff.

I literally just finished the game a couple of hours ago, and I'm itching to start making progress into competitive online battles.

I have no idea how to breed, but I do have some guides nearby. As for "teams", where do I start? I have zero knowledge of team composition...so I'm kinda stuck, since I want to start breeding / making competitive pokemon, but no clue as to what to breed specifically.

Any helpful resources for an easy / recommended team to put together for beginners?

Tirael

I literally just finished the game a couple of hours ago, and I'm itching to start making progress into competitive online battles.

I have no idea how to breed, but I do have some guides nearby. As for "teams", where do I start? I have zero knowledge of team composition...so I'm kinda stuck, since I want to start breeding / making competitive pokemon, but no clue as to what to breed specifically.

Any helpful resources for an easy / recommended team to put together for beginners?

The first and foremost thing I think I should tell you is that once you do know enough to make a tentative team, don't breed IVs for it yet. Just raise Pokemon normally, you need to make sure that these are Pokemon you're going to use in a team. EV train them with Hordes, then Pokemon that feel right and perform well in battle, IV breed them.

It's a gigantic pain to IV breed and EV train a Pokemon, then it do badly in battle or not fit your team.

Edit: Catch a crapton of Dittos and get the right Nature. That only takes a second.

Azure J

OK, so where do I go to input/check shiny values? I finally got InstaCheck working, have a consistent 4-5IV Scyther production going on and want to hatch a shiny Scizor. Is anyone around that can help me out a bit later?

upandaway

To get a quick and dirty template up:
- Choose a Pokemon you like
- Choose a Pokemon bad against the Pokemon you chose above (a bit easier than figuring out a Pokemon strong against the Pokemon the first one is bad against)
- Between those two, look at type coverage in terms of offense, and choose a Pokemon that can help cover blind spots, Ghost or Dark types usually do great here
- Same as above, only with defense, Steel or Dragon types will probably rock this spot
- Look at the offense:defense:support ratio of the above 4, pick 2 more to balance out the ratio evenly.

It helps to think about the set you'll run on the Pokemon the second you think about adding him, in terms of the item and role it'll have, because some Pokemon can have different roles depending on their set.

Always start with the format you want to play - even 3v3 and 6v6 singles are a bit different. Then you attempt to put in mons with the roles and coverage you need and then play.

Then you lose and learn from your losses why, exactly, you're losing and mess around with your team.

RomanceDawn

The first and foremost thing I think I should tell you is that once you do know enough to make a tentative team, don't breed IVs for it yet. Just raise Pokemon normally, you need to make sure that these are Pokemon you're going to use in a team. EV train them with Hordes, then Pokemon that feel right and perform well in battle, IV breed them.

It's a gigantic pain to IV breed and EV train a Pokemon, then it do badly in battle or not fit your team.

I go just the opposite way. IV breed any and ALL Pokemon that interests you first. Otherwise you will sit around and waist your time. You never know when a Pokemon you like and bred very well but doesn't perform well gets a brand new move to turn things around.

If a Pokemon catches my eye, I figure out what egg moves to give it first(if any) then breed the heck out of it. If it doesn't fit with other team members now doesn't mean it won't later.

Tiamant

KlUKKjT.gif

And now that I've got your attention I'll b̶̷e̶̷g̶̷ ask again for a decent IV bug group pokémon. I can give nice things in exchange, I promise!

Tirael

I go just the opposite way. IV breed any and ALL Pokemon that interests you first. Otherwise you will sit around and waist your time. You never know when a Pokemon you like and bred very well but doesn't perform well gets a brand new move to turn things around.

If a Pokemon catches my eye, I figure out what egg moves to give it first(if any) then breed the heck out of it. If it doesn't fit with other team members now doesn't mean it won't later.

This method certainly has merit as well. It really depends on how much patience a person has. Because if someone is inexperienced, they may not know how much time investment is required, and I don't want them getting discouraged.

To get a quick and dirty template up:
- Choose a Pokemon you like
- Choose a Pokemon bad against the Pokemon you chose above (a bit easier than figuring out a Pokemon strong against the Pokemon the first one is bad against)
- Between those two, look at type coverage in terms of offense, and choose a Pokemon that can help cover blind spots, Ghost or Dark types usually do great here
- Same as above, only with defense, Steel or Dragon types will probably rock this spot
- Look at the offense:defense:support ratio of the above 4, pick 2 more to balance out the ratio evenly.

It helps to think about the set you'll run on the Pokemon the second you think about adding him, in terms of the item and role it'll have, because some Pokemon can have different roles depending on their set.

How serious / important are tier lists?

Whilst I'm not one to obsess over tier list and optimal play...I don't want to severely hamper myself either.

upandaway

Whilst I'm not one to obsess over tier list and optimal play...I don't want to severely hamper myself either.
There are definitely some Pokemon that, even though I love them and think will fit well with my other Pokemon, I know deep down they're just too weak to be usable.

If you don't trust yourself with that judgement, just ask here. "Hey guys, how viable is ____ against other peeps?" and you're good to go.

Tier lists denote popularity, not useability. Pick ones you enjoy using or like the designs of, not the ones that are considered to be "OU."

Like, I can destroy entire OU teams online with my Crawdaunt, who's considered to be NU. It's all about how you plan and use your team, not how powerful the individual members are.

Tiamant

Is 4 IV scythers decent?

That'd be VERY decent, yes :)

In exchange I can give you Seedots with 4 IV's and 4 egg-moves, Knock-off Kabutos, Infiltrator Zubats with Whirlwind, Brave Bird and Zen Headbutt, Anticipation Eevees with Wish or Duskulls.

My FC is 1263-5864-8502

Infinite

That'd be VERY decent, yes :)

In exchange I can give you Seedots with 4 IV's and 4 egg-moves, Knock-off Kabutos, Infiltrator Zubats with Whirlwind, Brave Bird and Zen Headbutt, Anticipation Eevees with Wish or Duskulls.

My FC is 1263-5864-8502

Ok my FC is in my profile and my in game name is Aki.

I think I want the Zubat.

PK Gaming

Tier lists denote popularity, not useability. Pick ones you enjoy using or like the designs of, not the ones that are considered to be "OU."

Like, I can destroy entire OU teams online with my Crawdaunt, who's considered to be NU. It's all about how you plan and use your team, not how powerful the individual members are.
Word

Listen to Scrafty on this, tiers aren't a metric for viability whatosever. Crawdaunt is really, really good now. It probably won't ever be common, but there's no real downside to that. I for one, welcome its ability to completely surprise & demolish unsuspecting opponents.

upandaway

Yeah I've been eyeing Crawdaunt for a few days now. I really wanna use that Adaptability Knock-Off.

And crabs are always really cool. Kingler's better but they're all cool.

Whoa, this existed? It sounds amazing, why would they take it out?

Yeah I was amazing. You could search up "Primeape" for example, and filter it to only see videos from Random Matchup Battles. Then it would bring up that most recent 30 battle videos that were uploaded. It was amazing

Smogon's tier lists aren't like tier lists for other games which are usually for ranking characters and viability, they instead observe useage and the different tiers double as banlists for metagames that play at lower tiers.

If you want to play in a Smogon metagame, then it definitely affects you because of their creating artificial metagame environments through their tier lists, but if you're just playing WiFi or intend to do VGC stuff then they're not really important at all (same can be said for any tier list, but Smogon's less so due to their purpose).

You'll more likely get better results preventing yourself from getting hampered by asking for advice on your team.

Holmes

What the heck. Is 4 PM still considered daytime? I've biked around with the Befriend O-Power and Soothe Bell on Budew, with it in the front of the party twice, and still no evolution.

Infinite

Word

Listen to Scrafty on this, tiers aren't a metric for viability whatosever. Crawdaunt is really, really good now. It probably won't ever be common, but there's no real downside to that. I for one, welcome its ability to completely surprise & demolish unsuspecting opponents.

Well didn't Crawdaunt get a buff this gen in receiving aqua jet as an egg move and passive buffs from Knock Off working the way it does now and the type chart changes?

What the heck. Is 4 PM still considered daytime? I've biked around with the Befriend O-Power and Soothe Bell on Budew, with it in the front of the party twice, and still no evolution.

I feel your pain. I caught Togepis in Luxury Balls and gave one of them a Soothe Bell. I'm now at level 42 and it still hasn't evolved from level 30. I hate baby Pokemon. I hate happiness. I hate breeding. >:/

Infinite

I feel your pain. I caught Togepis in Luxury Balls and gave one of them a Soothe Bell. I'm now at level 42 and it still hasn't evolved from level 30. I hate baby Pokemon. I hate happiness. I hate breeding. >:/

Dude give them the soothe bell then ride your bike around the center of Lumioise City for some time.

Is Tentacruel any good this gen? I'm considering trying to run an Assault Vest set with Rapid Spin for it but I don't know if it's actually any fun to use.
My Tentacruel has been a boss for me in this game. He's only weak to Ground, Electric and Psychic but makes up for the Ground weakness with water and ice moves. He naturally resists Fighting, Poison, Bug, Steel, Fire, Water, Ice and Fairy. The only opponents who don't go down that quickly are Steel or Bug but dual types usually make them vulnerable.

I'm running with Surf, Ice Beam, Dazzling Gleam and Sludge Bomb/Wave. I'm in the process of bulking up his physical Defense surfing through hordes of Geodude on Victory Road.

Edit: Clear Body is an amazing ability.

Azure J

Once again, anyone around right now that could let me check some shiny values and get some information down really fast? I have a few 4 and 5IV Scythers to pass on if you want compensation.

Dude give them the soothe bell then ride your bike around the center of Lumioise City for some time.

Thanks for this advice, sir. It's so much better now.

I got my 5IV Togepi, now it's time to try and get a female Serene Grace one...so not looking forward to this...

PK Gaming

Well didn't Crawdaunt get a buff this gen in receiving aqua jet as an egg move and passive buffs from Knock Off working the way it does now and the type chart changes?
Yup.

Crawdaunt is legitimately scary threat now. Between Water & Dark coverage, next to nothing can switch in. Knock Off has the distinction of being fairly powerful AND it has the ability to remove the item of whatever switches in. It basically cripples walls that switch in since they thrive on their item.

(Bisharp is also really, really good now in case you didn't know)

Holmes

Bleh. Got my perfect 5 IV Roselia and it's Hidden Power is Dark. Sure, it's good to use against Psychic types, which Roserade is weak to, but it probably wouldn't put much of a dent in them anyway. Maybe I'll just run Sleep Powder instead.

Top Bottom