• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT3| How's That? Owned, Suckah!

Holmes

Unless someone wants to convince me otherwise, I've decided on Swift Swim for Omastar. I feel like Weak Armor is too risky, especially in conjunction with Shell Smash. Omastar's defense is great but its HP is barely decent, so if I can get a Timid Omastar to survive a Shell Smash in the rain, he'll be a force.

Firestorm

Cool battles. Looks like Tyranitar gave you a lot of trouble. Do you think running Focus Blast on Charizard could be a good idea?
No, I like his moveset as is. Honestly the problem is my team just isn't too well balanced. Garchomp for example wrecks it. I'd probably want to replace Trevenant with something more useful against Tyranitars and Garchomps. My Zapdos was also useless as it had a horrible moveset. Thankfully a friend just caught a 31/x/31/31/31/30 HP Ice Bold Zapdos that I'll be able to play around with soon!

I've been thinking of another one to start again from scratch or maybe using a team my friend developed that centres around Charizard and Venusaur using the Pledge moves.

Kinokou

I have decided to speed up my breeding by obtaning the oval charm and making a 6v\0v magikarp breeding couple. I have the 6V one, but can you RNG with a 6V and imperfect 0V as long as it has five zeroes?

Firestorm

Thank you, R Inanimate, for having something resembling actual fashion sense and not just slapping your girl in a trench coat. :) Seriously, in real life you pair trench coats with khakis to look decent but AFAIK you can't do that in this game.
I was so mad when I found out females got scarves and we didn't :mad:

Infinite

We also got shafted as far as hairstyle choices go.

Z version better have some better options, for real.
Yeah it should be like animal crossing where can cross dress and design your own styles. I also want the option of looking like the trainers from every pass gen.

Videoneon

PokeGAF -

I'm trying to create a new team and getting lost with Venusaur. I want to run regular Venusaur with something like Toxic, Leech Seed, Mega Drain. Probably @Leftovers?

What nature is good for something like this? Is Venusaur defensive enough to pull this off competently? Or is this so terrible that I should reconsider (barring the part where I don't want to use Megasaur, as my team has another Mega already.) I understand that type-wise the defense is not all that great, but I wondered if I could mitigate this with poison/drain moveset.

Holmes

Why not run Giga Drain instead of Mega Drain?

Have it also run Synthesis with Bold or Calm nature, depending on whether or not you want it to be a special or a physical wall. You can then allocate EVs according to the nature and wall type you chose.

I was so mad when I found out females got scarves and we didn't :mad:
It's just part of a shirt, but yes, it's very nice. Confession: I'm switching my main file to my JPN file simply because that's my female one and females have way better customization.
Females could also take off hats right? :/
No. That's for your rival only.
We also got shafted as far as hairstyle choices go.
Guys have 4, girls have 6 with the option to have bangs or not. And out of the guys' 4 hairstyles, Short makes you look like a noob, Medium makes you look like a 5 year old, Long makes you look like a bum, and Perm is... a perm. In contrast, the only girl haircut that isn't awesome is the default one because of the whole hair tying thing.

So yeah, I agree, but more because of quality than quantity. Ponytail master race

Videoneon

Why not run Giga Drain instead of Mega Drain?

Have it also run Synthesis with Bold or Calm nature, depending on whether or not you want it to be a special or a physical wall. You can then allocate EVs according to the nature and wall type you chose.

hehehe looks like another pokemon I have to set up an egg move for. Breeding isn't that bad, at least.

Right now its companions are something like:

Greninja (special, not mixed, except maybe + U-turn if I'm unsure of the defensive capabilities of my team)
Mawile (Intimidate, thinking of giving it Fire Fang. This is the Mega.)
Gliscor (Poison Heal, or w/e tf it's called)

And on the fence with
Espeon (possibly baton passing, at least one screen)

Though I'm fairly convinced Espeon would be helpful. The thing right now is I assume the Venusaur build would impact the Gliscor build, since Gliscor does Toxic-stalling better than Venusaur except Gliscor's physical, and I don't want two Pokemon doing the same thing.

Thanks though. Should definitely slap a Giga Drain on the monster.

hehehe looks like another pokemon I have to set up an egg move for. Breeding isn't that bad, at least.

Right now it's companions are something like:

Greninja (special, not mixed, except maybe + U-turn if I'm unsure of the defensive capabilities of my team)
Mawile (Intimidate, thinking of giving it Fire Fang. This is the Mega.)
Gliscor (Poison Heal, or w/e tf it's called)

And on the fence with

Though I'm fairly convinced Espeon would be helpful. The thing right now is I assume the Venusaur build would impact the Gliscor build, since Gliscor does Toxic-stalling better than Venusaur except Gliscor's physical, and I don't want two Pokemon doing the same thing.

I've got Giga Drain/Amnesia Bulbasaur if you'd like one.

Videoneon

I've got Giga Drain/Amnesia Bulbasaur if you'd like one.

Ooh. I might take you up on that! I don't really have anything to offer though, besides Y Mega Stones, Ocean Vivillon (and it's not close to properly competitive), and a Timid Scatterbug with (since I don't understand IV's yet):

11 HP
ATK - 5
DEF - 6
S.ATK - 5
S.DEF - 5
SPD - 5

and Compound Eyes. It has no Egg moves, just tackle and string shot

Ooh. I might take you up on that! I don't really have anything to offer though, besides Y Mega Stones, Ocean Vivillon (and it's not close to properly competitive), and a Timid Scatterbug with (since I don't understand IV's yet):

11 HP
ATK - 5
DEF - 6
S.ATK - 5
S.DEF - 5
SPD - 5

and Compound Eyes. It has no Egg moves, just tackle and string shot
I'll take that Scatterbug! Mega Stones are more valuable than this Bulbasaur.
3523-2245-8198
Andy

SeZMehK

Damn, what to do now... The RNG Gods hate me in Battle Mansion. I still can't get the 50 wins in Super singles. I've changed my teams many times, but RNG screws me over. >.>

Usobuko

Banned
(since I don't understand IV's yet)

Use this: http://abload.de/img/breed2iqsdg.png

IVs and EVs are easy to pick up. Think of IVs as something like inherent traits / genes. It's something the Pokemon is born with. Whereas EVs, Effort Values, is something you could 'train' to further enhance that particular stat. Every 4 Effort Value translate to 1 Stat Points ( HP, Atk, Def, Speed etc ) and the maximum Effort Values allow for each Pokemon is 510. However, the cap for each stat is 252, that means you could have 2 max EV'd stat ( 252 x 2 = 504 ) and 6 leftover EV on the third stat. This is just one of common EV distributions employed by competitive players. You can get EVs by killing Pokemon or playing the mini game which is Super Training.

Perfect or ideal IV combination comes from breeding. You can use the link above for more information regarding both breeding and IVs.

As for Venusaur, the Mega version is just so much better at stalling and still hits rather heavily. It's much more bulkier and has thick fat to somewhat eliminate it's fire/ice liability.

Holmes

And on the fence with

If you don't want two Toxic stallers on your team (which is understandable because Toxic Heal Gliscor is so good at it), then how about switching Toxic for Sludge Bomb, and switching the nature to Modest? And if you want to be adventurous, get Sunny Day in there to work with Chlorophyll (although you might wanna sacrifice Leftovers for a Heat Rock if you decided to give your Leftovers to Venusaur).

And if you want a good Baton Passing Eeveelution, you can also consider Vaporeon with Substitute and Acid Armor and/or Wish. Vaporeon's wishes are crazy and the extra physical defense + substitute can be a big help. Espeon, though, is also really great. Magic Bounce outright stops the opponent from setting entry hazards, it can dual screen, and also pack a punch with its special attack if needed.

Damn, what to do now... The RNG Gods hate me in Battle Mansion. I still can't get the 50 wins in Super singles. I've changed my teams many times, but RNG screws me over. >.>

Game's a asshole.

I keep sweeping with Talonflame ... until the 6-7 match where SUDDENLY all I get are bulky water/ ice/ Rock types as the lead Pokemon for the next 5-6 battles. >_>

Think I'm gonna wait until I have my training worthy Mawile ready and a good Mewtwo before I try again.

Game's a asshole.

I keep sweeping with Talonflame ... until the 6-7 match where SUDDENLY all I get are bulky water/ ice/ Rock types as the lead Pokemon for the next 5-6 battles. >_>

Think I'm gonna wait until I have my training worthy Mawile ready and a good Mewtwo before I try again.

Pretty sure the system changes and adapts to your team to beat it. So it's learning you better each battle. When you see a trend, interrupt and reenter at the same point with different pokemon.

Game's a asshole.

That's what you get for using Talonflame :p

Woo! Finally got my perfect Impish Grimer, 31/31/31/x/31/31!

Just need to figure out EV's, anyone have a good idea?

If you're going for a defensive build, then 252 HP/252 Def is ideal. If you want a bulky attacking set, then invest in Attack instead of Defense.

Did you breed any egg moves onto it? Muk really benefits from Cures and Shadow Sneak.

If you're going for a defensive build, then 252 HP/252 Def is ideal. If you want a bulky attacking set, then invest in Attack instead of Defense.

Did you breed any egg moves onto it? Muk really benefits from Cures and Shadow Sneak.

I need to breed those onto it?

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Holmes

:D Hatched a shiny Venonat! IV Judge says ?/x/31/31/31/31 which is good enough! It's male and has Run Away. I was deciding whether I should go for Tinted Lens or Wonder Skin, and well I guess the game has decided for me. Guess he'll mainly be a Quiver Dancing Baton Passer, which is fine.

I was debating between that or a Quiver Dancer sweeper. I guess he's a bit too frail for that though, even after a Quiver Dance. Even if he can survive a Quiver Dance (with a Focus Sash), he'll probably be easily taken down afterwards anyway. So! I'm good.

daripad

I'm playing Black 1 & 2 to catch the legendary pokemon and OMG they look so bad and they are very slow. X & Y are definitly good editions, framerate drops aside

Holmes

This Venonat batch was literally the best set of 5 eggs I've ever hatched. A 5 IV one with Tinted Lens (which I'll also keep so two Venomoths for me), two 5 IV ones with Run Away, and a shiny one with Run Away. Wow.

I really wish I remember who here gave me the Venonat. I really really want to thank them again.

Top Bottom