• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT3| How's That? Owned, Suckah!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Oh god, I wish that I had enough space to save this battle, but I just fought an all mewtwo team and swept with just chandelure and honchkrow. :p

Hm, now I have an Impish Grimer with 31/31/31/x/31/x and Curse/Shadow Sneak

Anyone think I should go for that max IV in Speed or is it not as important considering it's Muk?

Hm, now I have an Impish Grimer with 31/31/31/x/31/x and Curse/Shadow Sneak

Anyone think I should go for that max IV in Speed or is it not as important considering it's Muk?

It's not really that important on a tanky Pokémon like Muk, especially since you'll be lowering your Speed with Curse anyways.

Videoneon

Thanks for the input Holmes and Usobuko.

But I have a question on IV's (for anyone):

Use this: http://abload.de/img/breed2iqsdg.png

IVs and EVs are easy to pick up. Think of IVs as something like inherent traits / genes. It's something the Pokemon is born with. Whereas EVs, Effort Values, is something you could 'train' to further enhance that particular stat. Every 4 Effort Value translate to 1 Stat Points ( HP, Atk, Def, Speed etc ) and the maximum Effort Values allow for each Pokemon is 510. However, the cap for each stat is 252, that means you could have 2 max EV'd stat ( 252 x 2 = 504 ) and 6 leftover EV on the third stat. This is just one of common EV distributions employed by competitive players. You can get EVs by killing Pokemon or playing the mini game which is Super Training.

Perfect or ideal IV combination comes from breeding. You can use the link above for more information regarding both breeding and IVs.

As for Venusaur, the Mega version is just so much better at stalling and still hits rather heavily. It's much more bulkier and has thick fat to somewhat eliminate it's fire/ice liability.

I'm pretty sure I understand the concept behind IV's and EV's. The thing in particular I don't understand with IV's is the formatting currently used. i.e.

31/29/31/30/28/10

I understand what they correspond to, but I don't know how people get those numbers.

For example, I just hatched an Eevee
HP - 12
atk - 5
def - 6
sp.a -6
sp.d - 6
speed - 6
Timid, Characteristic is Likes to Fight

How can I convert this into proper numbers? =S

That's probably the best spread for that moveset. What are your other two moves, by the way? Poison Jab and what?

I'm thinking Poison Jab and maybe Brick Break? I'm not sure what else to run on that set that would be decent. Probably that or like, Return.

Also, gonna have to get BP for an Ability Capsule. Stench would be far preferable to Sticky Hold :\

Antiwhippy

Have you finished the E4?

There a person in the pokemon center in kiloude city that will tell you which stats are perfect.

I'm thinking Poison Jab and maybe Brick Break? I'm not sure what else to run on that set that would be decent. Probably that or like, Return.

Also, gonna have to get BP for an Ability Capsule. Stench would be far preferable to Sticky Hold :\

You could go for Toxic in conjuction with your sky-high Defense to make a mean physical wall. Brick Break is definitely another option, as Steel-types are gonna wall you pretty hard otherwise.

Why didn't you go for Poison Touch, btw? It seems like it'd be Muk's most useful ability of the three.

spiritfox

Thanks for the input Holmes and Usobuko.

But I have a question on IV's (for anyone):

I'm pretty sure I understand the concept behind IV's and EV's. The thing in particular I don't understand with IV's is the formatting currently used. i.e.

31/29/31/30/28/10

I understand what they correspond to, but I don't know how people get those numbers.

For example, I just hatched an Eevee
HP - 12
atk - 5
def - 6
sp.a -6
sp.d - 6
speed - 6
Timid, Characteristic is Likes to Fight

How can I convert this into proper numbers? =S

The IV checker in Kiloude City will tell you your best stats, but if you want exact numbers (outside perfect and 0), you need to use an external calc like http://www.metalkid.info/Pokemon/Calculators/IV.aspx.

You could go for Toxic in conjuction with your sky-high Defense to make a mean physical wall. Brick Break is definitely another option, as Steel-types are gonna wall you pretty hard otherwise.

Why didn't you go for Poison Touch, btw? It seems like it'd be Muk's most useful ability of the three.

At this point, I don't think I want to do more egg grinding, lol. I didn't even have a Grimer with Poison Touch in the first place, since the one I got from a trade didn't have it. I'll probably get one with Poison Touch later, but for now I'm fine with what I have.

Growlie19

Same here. I have a shiny Mienshao that has Inner Focus waiting to be transferred come December 27th. It would be much better with Regenerator. I've already got just under 100BP, so halfway there!

Videoneon

Have you finished the E4?

There a person in the pokemon center in kiloude city that will tell you which stats are perfect.

I know about the dude with the purple hair, but I wanted to learn about the numbers beyond perfect and terrible. The calculator that spiritfox linked is helpful. Thanks though.

Mike M

Nick N
I just got this last night with TRU's misprinted price on Y. It's my first foray into the series and I have no idea WTF I'm doing.

I just got this last night with TRU's misprinted price on Y. It's my first foray into the series and I have no idea WTF I'm doing.

You picked probably the easiest one in the series, so no worries there. It's when you're trying to make competitive Pokemon that you end up amassing encyclopedic knowledge of the most minute details.

I'm retconning your animal companion into the starter you chose.

spiritfox

Pick Pokemon, beat up little kids. If it gets too easy turn off the Exp Share.

edit: It will also be good to have a rudimentary knowledge of the type chart, so you know not to use Fire against Water, for example. Most Pokemon display their types on their sleeve, but if you don't know what move to use against another Pokemon, you can consult the many Pokemon sites out there.

Mike M

Nick N
Just catch pokemon you like and enjoy the journey.

You picked probably the easiest one in the series, so no worries there. It's when you're trying to make competitive Pokemon that you end up amassing encyclopedic knowledge of the most minute details.

Pick Pokemon, beat up little kids. If it gets too easy turn off the Exp Share.

edit: It will also be good to have a rudimentary knowledge of the type chart, so you know not to use Fire against Water, for example. Most Pokemon display their types on their sleeve, but if you don't know what move to use against another Pokemon, you can consult the many Pokemon sites out there.

I'm 3 1/2 hours in, and I haven't even gotten to any point where I get exp sharing (Or I'm a dunce who doesn't know how to turn it on). Just been obsessively collecting one of everything from each area before moving on. I have no idea the potential or abilities of anything though, so it's difficult to pick pokemon I like for criteria other than aesthetic appeal.

I'm retconning your animal companion into the starter you chose.

Froakie.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
I'm 3 1/2 hours in, and I haven't even gotten to any point where I get exp sharing (Or I'm a dunce who doesn't know how to turn it on). Just been obsessively collecting one of everything from each area before moving on. I have no idea the potential or abilities of anything though, so it's difficult to pick pokemon I like for criteria other than aesthetic appeal.

Froakie.

You get the Exp Share right after the first gym, I think. Have you gotten there yet? I think it's on by default. Also, if you haven't already, you should get the Torchic Mystery Gift (from the menu when you launch the game). The boost in EXP and its speed and power will let you sweep everything.

Antiwhippy

That's fine, the games aren't usually hard enough where you can't just play with the pokemon you like the looks of, though having a variety of types is good too. Just look up at a type chart to see which type is good or bad against other types.

Mike M

Nick N
You get the Exp Share right after the first gym, I think. Have you gotten there yet? I think it's on by default. Also, if you haven't already, you should get the Torchic Mystery Gift (from the menu when you launch the game). The boost in EXP and its speed and power will let you sweep everything.
I got the first badge, but I haven't gone out route 4.

NEO0MJ

GGs Antiwhippy. Man that was brutal, I need to rethink my team. Pinsir is my only real physical attacker. Sure there's Avalugg but it's not mean to fight.

NEO0MJ

Drilburs, Trapinches, Vulpixes, Litwicks, Mawiles. I have some Vullabys and Shroomishes but they don't have good IVs yet.

What are your strategies with Flygon? Looking at Serebii it looks like that a lot of its good offensive moves are tutor moves from BW2.

spiritfox

What are your strategies with Flygon? Looking at Serebii it looks like that a lot of its good offensive moves are tutor moves from BW2.

I'm using it mostly for Choice Scarf U-Turn right now, with Earthquake/Dragon Claw for STAB, and Stone Edge cause Steel Wing is kinda weak and Superpower does not really cover any types other than Ice (but I have Fire types for them). He lacks good setup moves like DD so he can't really be a sweeper, but he can harrass and revenge kill well with his speed, and Levitate is always nice to avoid quakes.

Got the Petilil Spiritfox.
Proof that I have horrible luck with Synchronize on female Pokemon.
Petilil
Brave Outstanding 31/X/31/X/X/X
Hardy Relatively X/31/X/X/31/X
Sassy Relatively X/X/31/X/31/X

Top Bottom