• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT3| How's That? Owned, Suckah!

EMT0

Banned
you don't happen to have one of those left by any chance ? :p

got a few adamant gale wings fletchlings, immunity gligars, wish/curse evees, and bold Klefkis with 4-5 IV's if you're interested in one of those.

I can hook you up if he's traded all of them. I'd be interested in a Klefki(if you still need one, anyways).

Sigmaah

Just because it boosts your chances doesn't meant that you're guaranteed one early.

Lol I know but I'm shocked that he stuck with it and went over 1000 eggs.... You hear people getting shiny's at around 40-100+ eggs and this guys is going 1000+ congrats for him and he has amazing patience lmao.

Its got HP/Def/SpDef IVs, so it's not bad at all.

Got your defenses up, word I'd be happy as fuck with getting them iv's and getting a shiny after that long. Congrats once again!

you don't happen to have one of those left by any chance ? :p

got a few adamant gale wings fletchlings, immunity gligars, wish/curse evees, and bold Klefkis with 4-5 IV's if you're interested in one of those.

Holy crap I have so many. No spare 4iv ones yet, tho.

I think I'd like fletchling or Gilgar. Fletchling especially. My FC is in my profile.

Edit: aww I was too slow. It's cool.

Morokh

Holy crap I have so many. No spare 4iv ones yet, tho.

I think I'd like fletchling or Gilgar. Fletchling especially. My FC is in my profile.

Edit: aww I was too slow. It's cool.

still can drop you a fletchling for nothing, they are not stellar and I'm starting to need space :p

Anyone up for helping me get Rhyperior in my dex after I eat lunch? I have it and Wynaut left to see in Coastal. Wynaut will take like 10 minutes but Rhyperior is making me cry.

MicH

Decided to revered my Scyther. Got a Japanese Adamant one off GTS and took me 12 eggs to get my new perfect one. Awesome!

I'm slowly completing my Dex using GTS. Using my leftover Togepi to get EVERYTHING I need. Nothing has failed. Rhyme riot, Scizor, Gliscor, Gorebyss... Got everything I need. I now only need a few basic stage Pokemon now

Amneisac

So if Pokemon Y is my first Pokemon game, where's a good place to get started? Most of the info. in the OT was way over my head. I have plenty of RPG experience, but there's a lot to learn here.. like almost too much, should I worry about any of that or just play through the game and try to figure stuff out as I go? Is this something where I can just 'beat' the game and then worry about all this crazy min/maxing stuff if I want?

So if Pokemon Y is my first Pokemon game, where's a good place to get started? Most of the info. in the OT was way over my head. I have plenty of RPG experience, but there's a lot to learn here.. like almost too much, should I worry about any of that or just play through the game and try to figure stuff out as I go? Is this something where I can just 'beat' the game and then worry about all this crazy min/maxing stuff if I want?

You can absolutely beat the main game easily without worrying about anything beyond catching the things you think look coolest and using those. The OP of this thread is biased towards crazy bastards because in the month since release most people have beaten the main game. If you don't want to min/max, don't.

Just play through the game normally, and then expand on your knowledge once you beat the Elite Four.

Just play through and don't even worry about it - most of the info in the current OP is for more indepth postgame play.

Amneisac

You can absolutely beat the main game easily without worrying about anything beyond catching the things you think look coolest and using those. The OP of this thread is biased towards crazy bastards because in the month since release most people have beaten the main game. If you don't want to min/max, don't.

Just play through and don't even worry about it - most of the info in the current OP is for more indepth postgame play.

Okay, thanks! I was kind of hoping it wouldn't be necessary right off the bat. I'm at the skate park, so just getting started, but I am kind of freaking out that I'm picking the wrong pokemon for my team and stuff, but I'll try to just put all that aside for now.

Any general advice as far as should you keep the levels on all your pokemon in your team about the same or just steamroll with one or two and let the rest stay decently leveled via XP share?

weevles

Good advice. I'm planning to do some post-game play, but nothing any where near the depth of what is going on in the OP.

Okay, thanks! I was kind of hoping it wouldn't be necessary right off the bat. I'm at the skate park, so just getting started, but I am kind of freaking out that I'm picking the wrong pokemon for my team and stuff, but I'll try to just put all that aside for now.

Any general advice as far as should you keep the levels on all your pokemon in your team about the same or just steamroll with one or two and let the rest stay decently leveled via XP share?
I always find that it's more fun to try and keep your team balanced. With the exp mechanic not reverting back to B/W style, steamrolling with one or two Pokémon will make this game cake. (More so than it already is)

Just grab the Pokémon you like, and go from there. It's all up to you.

Azure J

That feel when you go to work and suddenly everyone's playing Pokemon the day you don't have a 3DS to play with.

ibtTkv5JXYq68P.gif

That feel when you get home and want to raise new team members but no 3DS nearby.

iQNBhi5bALrBw.gif

Sorry Mark, whoever you are. I'm not sure why we had a communication error, but internet might have cut out on me for a second. Good game though.

Inotti

I have a masterplan! I just bought Y version (already had X played through) if I start the game in German I can can trade with my self diffrent language pokemon and have a better chance at breeding shinies. I could also give my pokemons Finnish nick names with letters Ä and Ö which are not available when playing in English. Only con is that I don't understand German at all. :B

DaBoss

I have a masterplan! I just bought Y version (already had X played through) if I start the game in German I can can trade with my self diffrent language pokemon and have a better chance at breeding shinies. I could also give my pokemons Finnish nick names with letters Ä and Ö which are not available when playing in English. Only con is that I don't understand German at all. :B

I think it uses the 3DS's location (as in the one in the settings). So using a different language may not help. I could be wrong though.

This sounds like a genius plan! I might have to steal this idea if it works.

I'll start the game today so I can report later! :)
Change your 3DS's region to whatever Vivillon pattern you want while you're at it (you can change back after you save the new file). If it's one of the rarer ones then you can get a lot of trades that way. ;P

Inotti

I think it uses the 3DS's location (as in the one in the settings). So using a different language may not help. I could be wrong though.

Masuda is all about using two different language pokemon not from different 3ds location. If it was about location I should be able to use US pokemon and my Finnish pokemon (english language) with masuda but that is not the case. So yes it will work. :) When I traded with my english game the traded pokemon were marked as "GER" which means that they are from German language game.

I have two 3DS's so I would be able to change second 3DS's region to Germany but apparently it's not necessary. :)

Fury Sense

They way I see it, there are two options to keep the game challenging and not being way overleveled

1. Turn off EXP Share and use roughly the same pokemon the whole time (this is pretty traditional due to the way EXP Share used to work)
2. Turn on EXP Share and use lots of pokemon (20+ probably)

I had a great experience with option 2. Basically I would box any pokemon that got too strong and it let me use lots of interesting pokemon I wouldn't otherwise touch. But I think you can just play however you want and you'll figure it out.

DaBoss

Masuda is all about using two different language pokemon not from different 3ds location. If it was about location I should be able to use US pokemon and my Finnish pokemon (english language) with masuda but that is not the case. So yes it will work. :) When I traded with my english game the traded pokemon were marked as "GER" which means that they are from German language game.

I have two 3DS's so I would be able to change second 3DS's region to Germany but apparently it's not necessary. :)

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Masuda_method

"It occurs whenever Pokémon of differing real-world geographical origin are bred."

Hopefully, you're right and it works.

So if I change my language, trade a pokemon to a different 3DS, then change my language back and trade those pokemon back, would I now have a different language pokemon that I caught?

Inotti

So if I change my language, trade a pokemon to a different 3DS, then change my language back and trade those pokemon back, would I now have a different language pokemon that I caught?

You can only change the language when starting a new game. :p So you would need to delete your current saved game if you wanted to change the language.

upandaway

Does anyone have a spare Staryu/Starmie to give out? I don't really care about anything like IVs or whatever.

I only have a bunch of synchronizers since that's where I am in breeding right now (pfft), but I guess that's something to offer.

Just realized you could access HMs outside of battle with one less click by touching the "disk" on the Pokemon directly. Saves me literally seconds while horde EV training. Valuable, valuable seconds.

You can only change the language when starting a new game. :p So you would need to delete your current saved game if you wanted to change the language.

Also, changing the 3DS region setting will NOT affect an existing game file's choice of Vivillion coloration. I tried catching a new scatterbug but my game is polar for life.

There goes that idea. I'm not planning on Masudaing any way. Too much chance and too much breeding. I've stumbled across two shinies in the wild and hatched one (AFTER THREE EGGS!) so I think I'll stick with randomness like that than try for a shiny.

There goes that idea. I'm not planning on Masudaing any way. Too much chance and too much breeding. I've stumbled across two shinies in the wild and hatched one (AFTER THREE EGGS!) so I think I'll stick with randomness like that than try for a shiny.
Multiplying the shiny rate by six is definitely worth it!

Also, breeding Carbink is killing me. They're all in Pokéballs, and there's nothing I can do about it... T-T

Multiplying the shiny rate by six is definitely worth it!

Also, breeding Carbink is killing me. They're all in Pokéballs, and there's nothing I can do about it... T-T

Oh I have plenty of Japanese Dittos. That's how I bred my shiny Inkay. But I'm not going for a shiny on purpose. 1200 eggs... no thanks.

Top Bottom