• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT3| How's That? Owned, Suckah!

GamerSoul

Just wait until you hatch your first 6IV pokemon with perfect stats, it's an addiction.

yea i believe you. I'm getting happy over three! I might go for 6 but i'll settle for 4-5.

>.> hopefully...adamant nature is a good nature for it because thats what im using,

Pumpkaboo is such a fun word to say.

True, I can't come up with a better nickname than that. lol

edit: those challenge playthroughs sound intense. I might need to try that eventually becuase yea this game is fairly easy. I went back to play Black and the difference in difficulty is very noticeable imo. It also reminded me of the hate i have for emolga.

macklelol

yea i believe you. I'm getting happy over three! I might go for 6 but i'll settle for 4-5.

>.> hopefully...adamant nature is a good nature for it because thats what im using,

True, I can't come up with a better nickname than that. lol

Should try to go for a defensive nature (Impish) for Pumkaboo/Gourgeist if you're gonna use a Super sized one, or Jolly if you were gonna use a Small size.

Spinluck

I believe the only thing that speeds up breeding is an item? The only O-Power that helps is Hatching? I could be wrong.

Ohhh yeah, that's what I meant. speeds up the hatching. multiple flame body pokemon wont stack. so i'm trying to get that level 3 hatching o-power.

macklelol

.-. so the size effects the over defensive stats? .-.

The size affects its HP, Attack, and Speed. The Small sized has the least amount of Attack and HP, but has a decent 99 base speed. It can use a pretty quick Will-o-Wisp to weaken physical attackers, and can use Pain Split effectively with its lower base HP.

Huge or super sized has the most HP and Attack compared to the other forms, but has a much lower speed. The huge sized pumpkin functions pretty well as a physical tank, soaking lots of hits, and can threaten physical attackers with Will-o-Wisp and recover using Leech Seed. I personally use the supersized Gourgeist a lot.

So you would use Impish for huge sized to maximize its defensive bulk, and use Jolly for small size to outspeed physical threats and burn them. If you really wanted to use Adamant, you could, but Gourgeist's attack stat is pretty mediocre, and the form with the highest attack also has the lowest speed.

GamerSoul

The size affects its HP, Attack, and Speed. The Small sized has the least amount of Attack and HP, but has a decent 99 base speed. It can use a pretty quick Will-o-Wisp to weaken physical attackers, and can use Pain Split effectively with its lower base HP.

Huge or super sized has the most HP and Attack compared to the other forms, but has a much lower speed. The huge sized pumpkin functions pretty well as a physical tank, soaking lots of hits, and can threaten physical attackers with Will-o-Wisp and recover using Leech Seed. I personally use the supersized Gourgeist a lot.

So you would use Impish for huge sized to maximize its defensive bulk, and use Jolly for small size to outspeed physical threats and burn them. If you really wanted to use Adamant, you could, but Gourgeist's attack stat is pretty mediocre, and the form with the highest attack also has the lowest speed.

oohh snap. lol back to the drawing board but now I have some with better IVs to work with. thank for the info.

joelseph

Ohhh yeah, that's what I meant. speeds up the hatching. multiple flame body pokemon wont stack. so i'm trying to get that level 3 hatching o-power.

Fly to all hotel and other locations and get all the other o-powers. Then fly to the city and buy promo balls one at a time. After you buy 75~ you will be cool enough to get the last o-power. If you are getting the 50% cab discount you are good to go. The dude will be in Cafe introvert. Enjoy!

I have been thinking about a Battle Mansion team and how to get around the game's hexy BS...

Can anyone tell me if this is a good set up?

Lead with Ninjask for the Speed Boosting.
Have him use Protect-> Swords Dance-> Protect-> Baton Pass
He either Baton Passes to my Talonflame or Mawile so that they can blow through the AI team.

I wanna lead with him to bait the rock move from the AI's lead so that Mawile can Safely get Baton passed into the battle and Mega Evolve. I hear Scolipede is better at this ... but Scolipede would attract fire attacks from the hex AI which would make M Mawile a bad switch in (But COULD make Talonflame a better switch in).

That's what I'm doing on my second copy. Wonderlocke. Catch 5 pokemon and trade them and your starter over Wonder Trade until you have 6 level 1 pokemon.

The game is still incredibly easy. I'm going to have to do a challenge with no exp share and limited pokemon centers next time.
Oh. I think I received a Zigzagoon named "Wonderlocke."

This makes sense now. I gave that person a great IV'd Eevee with Wish and Curse.

Tiamant

I have been thinking about a Battle Mansion team and how to get around the game's hexy BS...

Can anyone tell me if this is a good set up?

Lead with Ninjask for the Speed Boosting.
Have him use Protect-> Swords Dance-> Protect-> Baton Pass
He either Baton Passes to my Talonflame or Mawile so that they can blow through the AI team.

I wanna lead with him to bait the rock move from the AI's lead so that Mawile can Safely get Baton passed into the battle and Mega Evolve. I hear Scolipede is better at this ... but Scolipede would attract fire attacks from the hex AI which would make M Mawile a bad switch in (But COULD make Talonflame a better switch in).

Seems good, but you know, eventually the AI is going to find a way to annihilate that.

I made a troll build for super doubles consisting of a Focus Sash Parasect with Rage Powder and IV's oriented into sp.def and HP so he could take all hits away from my Belly Drum Linoone. It worked pretty well until everyone and his mother started to carry Rock Blast -_-

fek

Hey Tiamant, do you still need that Slowpoke? I'm online now, just send Hibi a trade request if you still need it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So, though choice. Yanmega or vivilion for my bug flying?

I really like vivilion's compound eyes hurricane shenanigans but yanmega is so much more cooler.

Tiamant

I really like vivilion's compound eyes hurricane shenanigans but yanmega is so much more cooler.

I'm just gonna say that Venomoth wrecks shit badly with Tinted Lens and 90 base sp.at, just imagine Yanmegas 119 sp.at going wild with that ability.

Seems good, but you know, eventually the AI is going to find a way to annihilate that.

I made a troll build for super doubles consisting of a Focus Sash Parasect with Rage Powder and IV's oriented into sp.def and HP so he could take all hits away from my Belly Drum Linoone. It worked pretty well until everyone and his mother started to carry Rock Blast -_-

AI will easily ruin your best laid boosting plans. You have to think on their level, straight up strats will not work for long. =)

Yup, you need to know what can counter your plan and bring the counter to that counter.

Anyone know of a booster plan that has a counter for it's counter?

With those 3 leading with Ninjask should allow for a Baton Pass that's immune to toxic AND burn (mawile can't be poisoned and talonflame can't be burnt even if Ninjask is burnt or poisoned correct?). Main thing to look out for would be a lead that just straight taunts off the bat (happened to Talonflame when she lead ... she's been able to pop off her SD before getting taunted so the AI just started putting out bulky water/ rock/ steel types as leads >_>;).

Managed to get an Electrike from a friend that had 31/x/30/31/31/31 (the x needs to be an even number to get HP Ice if I'm right...) IVs and thankfully he was in the same egg group as Pikachu. Took me a long while, but once I decided to bother evolving one of the female Pichu offsprings with good IVs, I let her breed with my Electrike, and then eventually got a HP Ice Pikachu.

Ahh, okay. That's one hell of an amazing Electrike. I hope I'll get lucky and it won't take long, but who am I kidding? I'm just glad Hidden Power breeding isn't as nightmareish as it was before...

Holmes

Hmm, true enough, though speed boost is hella nice too.
I bred a 5 IV Speed Boost Yanma, and it holds Choice Specs. I'm thinking of using the Ability Capsule, it's worthless because you lose the speed boosts upon switching out anyway (which I do a lot with the specs).

You can run Speed Boost Yanmega without Choice Specs and use Protect to get a free boost, but without Tinted Lens or Choice Specs, your damage output might not be significant enough. It's not like Yanmega's base speed is horrible or anything.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

With those 3 leading with Ninjask should allow for a Baton Pass that's immune to toxic AND burn (mawile can't be poisoned and talonflame can't be burnt even if Ninjask is burnt or poisoned correct?). Main thing to look out for would be a lead that just straight taunts off the bat (happened to Talonflame when she lead ... she's been able to pop off her SD before getting taunted so the AI just started putting out bulky water/ rock/ steel types as leads >_>;).

Well depending on the move sets of your sweepers, you'll be stopped by either a taunter or a bulky water. So you'll want something along that can counter both, like a Starmie running boltbeam and surf/hydro pump.

Basically plan for:

a) a taunt

b) a bulky water

c) a physical wall

Just be sure to plan for your boost to fail or get walled.

Holmes

Oooh yes, just rebred HP Ice Jolteon, Sylveon and Vaporeon, all with their regular (superior) abilities now and in Luxury Balls. Was totally worth it.

joelseph

Pass truant from Durant. You can then setup using protect - boost - protect - boost - etc

Well depending on the move sets of your sweepers, you'll be stopped by either a taunter or a bulky water. So you'll want something along that can counter both, like a Starmie running boltbeam and surf/hydro pump.

Basically plan for:

a) a taunt

b) a bulky water

c) a physical wall

Just be sure to plan for your boost to fail or get walled.
Taunts the main bitch here ... (And TWave I guess ... )
Mainly cause a Mega Mawile with one SD and 2 speed boost under it's belt don't have much to worry about ... things are going down without a study or focus.

Too bad Ninjask can't learn taunt :/
It's so fast it could shut down a taunter before them ...taunt.

Pass truant from Durant. You can then setup using protect - boost - protect - boost - etc

Why would a Durant with Truant help?

I'm fed up with Rating Battles right now. In an hour of play, I ran into the same team five times: Greninja, Talonflame and Mega Gardevoir. Christ, people; how about a little originality?

NEO0MJ

Oooh yes, just rebred HP Ice Jolteon, Sylveon and Vaporeon, all with their regular (superior) abilities now and in Luxury Balls. Was totally worth it.

Can I borrow your Jolteon later? I really want a HP Ice one, but I'm too lazy to go through the effort :(

PK Gaming

It depends on what type of Pokemon you want. Yanmega can either be played a strong Choice Specs user that has limited amount of counters with Tinted Lens, or a special attacker than can potentially sweep with Speed boost. I personally prefer to former; It's easier to use, and there are plenty of ways to stop a Yanmega +1 Speed.

Vivilion on the other hand, primarily abuses its compoundeyes boosted Sleep Powder to setup Quiver Dances, and sweep with Hurricane (which is also boosted by compoundeyes). I personally despise facing this thing, and it's incredibly strong in the 3v3 format.

Spinluck

does anyone have a sigilyph with stored power?

my xatu and sigilyph just don't wanna hit it up -__-.

it sucks cause i got the nature i wanted, and most of the ivs too (all i needed was for xatu to pass down speed).

Good god. Took like an hour and a half to get a Sylveon.

Do these things actually go for asking on GTS? probably won't give it away anyways (read: I won't), but if they do, I might evolve another.

GamerSoul

Still haven't gotten my Shiny Taillow.
I think it's been 4 days and over 1000 eggs, I will persist!

Im not even close to that but trying to get this 4iv pumpkaboo is taking some time @.@ I started so well too

edit: I think i got one with 5IVs. Everything but special defense is perfect. :0 yesss.

What the hell wonder trade? I just got a Happiny nicknamed "No thanks" in a heal ball. It is shiny and Jolly nature. Probably junk IVs but still...
I was right IVs are x/x/0/31/0/x Jolly nature so the 31 doesn't matter. The 0 def is horrible as Blissey has such low defence it gets quite a significant amount from the IV.

Yup, you need to know what can counter your plan and bring the counter to that counter.
Multi battle is the worst for this. I wound up against Tyranitars (would be fine if I didn't lead with Ninetales...maybe I should give it sunny day rather than nasty plot or just lead with Charizard and put up with the evolution animation every battle) and eventually lost to Honchkrow (spelling?) while burned sucker punch did over 50% to Charizard-Y and about a third to Ninetales.

I got lucky as once as a T-tar wiped everything out but AI Venusaur. The trainer had another Pokemon...the 'krow. It used sucker punch, AI Venusaur down to 40%...did not use sucker punch again for some reason...thanks AI (I'm guessing it went for taunt).

I'm fed up with Rating Battles right now. In an hour of play, I ran into the same team five times: Greninja, Talonflame and Mega Gardevoir. Christ, people; how about a little originality?
People want to win so they go with the easiest to effectively use. I'm guessing you had good Agieslash counters as I thought that was another common one.

Good god. Took like an hour and a half to get a Sylveon.
From the time taken I'm guessing finding a Level 19 Eevee (for fairy move) and you did Amie up to 5 heart affection...you only need 2 heart affection and the fairy move you might as well use the move reminder (finding Luvdisc holding a heart scale will take less time)

Holmes

Can I borrow your Jolteon later? I really want a HP Ice one, but I'm too lazy to go through the effort :(
How about I give you my other HP Ice Eevee? It has 30 Def IVs and you can keep it for other HP Ice projects you might have in that egg group. I just rebred it because it has the wrong ability, and its IVs are about 13/xx/30/31/31/31.

DaBoss

I got out of the hell-hole known as the 1400s in Ratings for Double Battle (I dropped from 16XX to 1436 or something a few days ago), that really deflated my motivation lol, but now I'm at 15XX and I'm not sure if I want to try to go for 16XX.

Top Bottom