• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT3| How's That? Owned, Suckah!

Caladrius

I finally got around to my Y playthrough, otherwise known as "Fuck You Yveltal Get In the Damn Ball and Have the Right IV/Nature Combination for Once."

I'm sitting on a Calm one with 31 IVs in HP, Sp. Atk and Speed with a 26 in Sp Def. I'm looking to make a specially defensive tank. Should I bother keeping it?

You can't get flying gem at the moment until pokebank so if you're fine waiting a few days then why not. I prefer toxic orb/poison heal set.

Pokebank doesn't let you transfer Items

Usobuko

Banned
What's the best way to make money in the postgame?

Battle Chateau + Writ of Invitation, Fine-Dining Restaurant in Luminose City.

Remember to always use an Amulet Coin + O Powers for maximum effect.

Ughhh did i just screw up?

I bred a flawless Gligar with the nature and hidden ability i wanted. I then leveled it to 100 without holding a razor fang, thinking that when i give it a razor fang it would evolve like other pokemons do with a stone. Is my Gligar unable to evolve now?

I feel sorry for you :(

Usobuko

Banned
Don't you have to pay 100,000 to battle at Le Wow? Is the winnings from there enough to cover the cost and profit?

IIRC, if you do everything right in Le WoW as in obey the specific instruction to beat their pokemon in the number of turns, you get like $440K in Value of Big Mushroom to sell.

Usobuko

Banned
can you improve upon ivs? ie, att is 25, and you improve it to 31?

You can by breeding with Ditto / Spouse that has specific 31 IVs. They are very common and available in Friend Safari should you have access to them thanks to people's FC.

If you meant simply using any items/methods to increase to 31 for a Pokemon with 25 atk, you can't.

can you improve upon ivs? ie, att is 25, and you improve it to 31?

Nope, the IVs a Pokemon is born with are the ones it is stuck with.
No. The only way to get better IVs is to breed the pokemon for a child with better IVs.

Hopefully the DNA splicers and Sinnoh held items are available. I need my Kyurem W and Giratina O.

The Sinnoh stones are already in the game, they are hidden in the room you catch Zygarde in and the DNA Splicer is given to you by an NPC when you show them Kyurem. I want two DNA Splicers in one game though, not so I can use both Kyurem Black and White, but just so I can have them both in the PC next to each other.

Caladrius

Isn't that kind of what they did with that Slowbro set though?

I think the rationale behind it was that it was an extremely specific set that wasn't used for anything else besides forcing a quit, something that wouldn't arbitrarily cripple a pokemon if it was unable to use it.

PK Gaming

Why would people follow unofficial rules?
The alternative is following VGC's rules to a T, which bans every event Pokemon (such as Mew, Celebi, Keldeo) in addition to arbitrarily banning certain legendary Pokemon(Zyguarde, Kyurem). They also implement an item clause (every Pokemon must have a unique item) and there's no limit to Sleep (so you can spam it to your hearts content). It's an okay ruleset that works well for 3v3 & 4v4, but it's not really suited for 6v6 (which admittedly is an unofficial format)

Either that, or "anything goes."
Isn't that kind of what they did with that Slowbro set though?
Slowbro wasn't the only Pokemon that could abuse that strategy.

Usobuko

Banned
The alternative is following VGC's rules to a T, which bans every event Pokemon (such as Mew, Celebi, Keldeo) in addition to arbitrarily banning certain legendary Pokemon(Zyguarde, Kyurem). They also implement an item clause (every Pokemon must have a unique item) and there's no limit to Sleep (so you can spam it to your hearts content). It's an okay ruleset that works well for 3v3 & 4v4, but it's not really suited for 6v6 (which admittedly is an unofficial format).

Is there a reason why there's no Sleep clause for 3v3? How about Evasion moves for VGC?

Spinluck

I guess I'll ask again and hope I get lucky.

My Xatu and Sigilyph don't like each other, and it's making it hard to pass down Stored Power.

Anyone have a Sigilyph with Stored Power, it'll make breeding what I want easier.

PK Gaming

Is there a reason why there's no Sleep clause for 3v3? How about Evasion moves for VGC?

It's not really a problem in 3v3 Actually focus sash sleep powder quiver dance Vivilion is infuriating especially with the nerfs to Spore & Sleep Powder. You can prepare for it by using anti-sleep Pokemon before the battle starts.

Though earlier this year, TPCi (The Pokémon Company International) contacted Smogon in regards to hosting a side tournament involving 3v3 for BW2, and one of the proposed rules was Sleep clause. (Things didn't pan out due to the DDoS attacks the site suffered)

As for evasion, it isn't a problem in VGC. Though even if it was, I doubt it would be banned since the playerbase doesn't really care about it.

VGC is doubles which is probably why they don't have to implement a bunch of clauses or ban OP mons since there are more holes of vulnerability each turn.

At the same time, since they abandoned 6v6 singles as a format, I don't think they're aware that there are mechanics that need to be changed.

Velcro Fly

Just beat the game for the first time today.

Friend safari is fun! I feel like the whole game has opened up to me now. So many things I want to make!

backlot

VGC is doubles which is probably why they don't have to implement a bunch of clauses or ban OP mons since there are more holes of vulnerability each turn.

At the same time, since they abandoned 6v6 singles as a format, I don't think they're aware that there are mechanics that need to be changed.

But do they really need to change the mechanics for an abandoned format?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
But do they really need to change the mechanics for an abandoned format?

I think he means like boosting moves are really strong in 6v6 but not very much so in doubles.

The entire game up to the metagame is built around 6v6, maybe they should change it to more doubles oriented. A lot of the strategies you learn going through single player are sort of useless once you hit the competitive stuff.

Morokh

I have a 27/2/30/31/31/31 Eevee for you if you didn't get a hook up yet!

Someone offered one after I posted this but my Internet started acting up just after I saw the reply so I couldn't reply myself and make the trade.

So yeah if you're still around I'd be very much interested :)

JoeM86

Banning evasion moves is a bit ridiculous. Evasion is a legitimate core mechanic in the games and banning it just seems a bit ridiculous, at least in my eyes. Sure, there are people who abuse it, but that's on them.

I've faced up against many a trainer who has abused evasion. I still kicked their butts.

Wichu

Banning evasion moves is a bit ridiculous. Evasion is a legitimate core mechanic in the games and banning it just seems a bit ridiculous, at least in my eyes. Sure, there are people who abuse it, but that's on them.

I've faced up against many a trainer who has abused evasion. I still kicked their butts.

Evasiveness isn't banned because it's overpowered, it's that it leads to situations where a less skilled player wins due to luck, by design. I'm fine with evasiveness boosting myself, but I can see why Smogon would ban it in competitive tournament play.

Also, evasiveness boosting is overpowered in 6v6 singles. I don't know how many of the evasiveness-boosters you've faced have been competitive, but I'm pretty sure a team built to take advantage of it could rip an ordinary team apart.

The Adder

Banned
Dear god I'm loving this Sigilyph build of mine in simulators. I need to build it for the real game.

Sigilyph @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 DEF / 252 SDef (Calm)
- Cosmic Power
- Air Slash
- Stored Power
- Roost

No one mon should have all this power.

JoeM86

Evasiveness isn't banned because it's overpowered, it's that it leads to situations where a less skilled player wins due to luck, by design. I'm fine with evasiveness boosting myself, but I can see why Smogon would ban it in competitive tournament play.

Also, evasiveness boosting is overpowered in 6v6 singles. I don't know how many of the evasiveness-boosters you've faced have been competitive, but I'm pretty sure a team built to take advantage of it could rip an ordinary team apart.

True. I don't really play singles anymore. It bores me and ends up being a massive switchathon nearly every time. Doubles and Triples all the way :)

Someone offered one after I posted this but my Internet started acting up just after I saw the reply so I couldn't reply myself and make the trade.

So yeah if you're still around I'd be very much interested :)

Haha, I fell asleep.

I'll be available all day. I'm working but since this is the last day before Christmas vacation, no one is really working lol.

JoeM86

Do a double switch and checkmate them!

Haha. Could work :p

Seriously, I know it's not seen as the way competitive goes, but when I battle, I only switch if I am well and truly screwed if I keep that Pokémon out, otherwise I stand my ground and try to win with honour. Usually do, too, since they expect me to switch out.

Morokh

Haha, I fell asleep.

I'll be available all day. I'm working but since this is the last day before Christmas vacation, no one is really working lol.

Still around ?

Looks like you're already on my friend's list, my code is in my profile if you need it.
I'll hop online, start a trade when you can :)
IGN is Kentsui

PK Gaming

Jesus, you're so damn cocky. It's kind of unnerving how you use your anecdotal evidence to support your claims.

Haha. Could work :p

Seriously, I know it's not seen as the way competitive goes, but when I battle, I only switch if I am well and truly screwed if I keep that Pokémon out, otherwise I stand my ground and try to win with honour. Usually do, too, since they expect me to switch out.

This kid has no idea what he's talking about, guys. Lets move on.

If I were to change evasion mechanics, I would make it a multiplicative thing instead of an additive effect (like it is now). Basically it would modify any existing chance of missing instead of making a chance of miss from nothing.

From one use of Double Team
100% moves are still 100%
90% moves become 87%
80% moves become 73%
70% becomes 60%

And so on. It would be a nerf to making the game too luck based but have a niche in improving chances to avoid a move that's already prone to missing.

Top Bottom