• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT3| How's That? Owned, Suckah!

PK Gaming

Damn, I forgot about Defog. It's an egg move for Crobat, so it can get it before Pokebank.
I think I am going to use a Defog Crobat. Would infiltrator be the best ability for it? And if I did use defog, what would be the best moveset for it?
Infiltrator is strictly better than Inner Focus now, so you should always use it on Crobat. Anyway, i'm assuming this is for 6v6. In that case, you'd probably want to run a moveset consisting of Defog / Taunt / Roost / Brave Bird.* Between Taunt, Roost & Defog you can pretty much dismantle any stall team on your own.

If you're not a Taunt guy, then you could maybe run U-turn over it.

Um, so I'm about 7 hours into this game. I've played Pokemon a bit before but this is the first one I'm planning to put serious time into.

Can someone please explain what exactly Super Training does and why to use it? Or Pokemon-Amie? Or the Player Search System? Actually, come to think of it, I really don't understand anything that's happening on the bottom screen. Is it just weird minigames or should I actually care about this stuff?

PSS - makeshift MMO functionability tied together with duct tape
Super Training - Increases stats you train in (more than you would need for single player and isn't even the fastest method of doing so so you can just ignore it)
Pokemon Amie - Tamagotchi simulator

Korosenai

Damn, I forgot about Defog. It's an egg move for Crobat, so it can get it before Pokebank.

Infiltrator is strictly better than Inner Focus now, so you should always use it on Crobat. Anyway, i'm assuming this is for 6v6. In that case, you'd probably want to run a moveset consisting of Defog / Taunt / Roost / Brave Bird.* Between Taunt, Roost & Defog you can pretty much dismantle any stall team on your own.

If you're not a Taunt guy, then you could maybe run U-turn over it.
cool, thanks! Ill keep both movesets in mind. I play mainly 3v3, so I probably wont need Defog.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I love my Vivillon even though I got the ugly Modern pattern instead of the pretty Meadow pattern because apparently Illinois = Chicago.

onslack

looking to build a team ( my first one ever lol) around charizard y and a chlorophyll venusaur could anyone recommend any other pokemon i could breed and ev train?

good question, this being my first team i'm a little noobish at this

what would you suggest?
I would suggest Pokemon that play nicely with the Sun but don't rely on it. A lot of the time the sun isn't going to be up and if your team is incapable of functioning in the sun then you're going to run into serious consistency issues.

EDIT: *outside the sun what the hell am I on

onslack

I would suggest Pokemon that play nicely with the Sun but don't rely on it. A lot of the time the sun isn't going to be up and if your team is incapable of functioning in the sun then you're going to run into serious consistency issues.

EDIT: *outside the sun what the hell am I on

that's a very good point, can you recommend any that i should breed ?

NEO0MJ

You might want a bulky Volcarona/Archanine. Both can function on their own, take a lot of hits and set up Sunny Day. You'll have to breed Morning Sun on Archanine, though. Volcarona can make due with roost.
You'll also want a spinner/defogger to take out entry hazards as they really eat into fire pokemon, especially Charizard and Volcarona. Excadrill/Foretress/Donphan/Hitmontop and Crobat/Mandibuzz are solid pokemon for this role, though they won't benefit from the Sun. Rapid Spinners can't hit ghost while pokemon that use defog can, but they will also remove your own entry hazards.

NEO0MJ

Thinking about it more you might want to skip using Excadrill and Foretress. If they're out during Sunny day then you're putting them in extreme risk due to their weakness to fire attacks, especially Foretress. This is why I didn't suggest any water-type spinners, though that's because water attacks become weaker in sunlight.

Well, I finally tried the Battle Maison, and...

...I'm going to have to breed myself another Togepi. I can't go through with this. Goddamn it, Game Freak.

Kinokou

Breeding is getting on my nerves right now. Why are all the 5 useful Skrelps I've had today born with the wrong ability, just why!

onslack

Thinking about it more you might want to skip using Excadrill and Foretress. If they're out during Sunny day then you're putting them in extreme risk due to their weakness to fire attacks, especially Foretress. This is why I didn't suggest any water-type spinners, though that's because water attacks become weaker in sunlight.

would crobat/mandibuzz be a better bet?

Looking for an HP ice jolteon. Will give you a xerneas or yvelel with an ability capsule item in return

Holy crap. I need an ability capsule...

I looked through my Wonder Trade results and I have 2 Eevees with HP Ice.

According to the IV checker, one has superior potential with 31 in Defense, Special Attack and Special Defense.

The other one is outstanding with HP, Attack, Defense, Special Attack and Special Defense, but the Speed is extremely low. I'm not sure how its type could be Ice, but that's what the Hidden Power checker says...

quabba

If you get a heat rock it'll make the sun last 8 turns instead of 5 but you won't be able to use that with mega charizard.

I built a bit of a doubles sun team with ninetales and venasaur carbink and talonflame/chandelure (because I already had the last two sitting around). Its worked OK so far but definitely needs improvements.

Those Pokemon are going to die to fire with or without the sun, though.

Hitmontop, Donphan (it's in the game, right?), and Starmie make good spinners. Try raising one of them.

Panzon

Holy crap. I need an ability capsule...

I looked through my Wonder Trade results and I have 2 Eevees with HP Ice.

According to the IV checker, one has superior potential with 31 in Defense, Special Attack and Special Defense.

The other one is outstanding with HP, Attack, Defense, Special Attack and Special Defense, but the Speed is extremely low. I'm not sure how its type could be Ice, but that's what the Hidden Power checker says...

I don't think the latter is HP ice and I was hoping all the corresponding IVs were perfect since i don't wanna go through the hassle

I see.

Well, the Eevee is HP Ice. I'll trade it to anyone else here so they can confirm what I'm saying is true. I find it strange as well, but I checked multiple times.

onslack

If you get a heat rock it'll make the sun last 8 turns instead of 5 but you won't be able to use that with mega charizard.

I built a bit of a doubles sun team with ninetales and venasaur carbink and talonflame/chandelure (because I already had the last two sitting around). Its worked OK so far but definitely needs improvements.

cheers for the tip, i have a few heat rock's that i could use

i'd like to try doubles as well, but baby steps first with this team building/iv breeding/ev training lark lol

quabba

Yes exactly! If it's Timid that would be even better but if not it's still ok.

I have a timid HP ice eevee but it also has its ha, I'll have to check its IVs. I also have a box of eevee eggs but I lost the instacheck results on them so can't tell if they are until I hatch.

Checking this has made me realise I have 2 spare 5iv HA eevee (good espeon) and one normal ability (good jolteon). So I might as well trade them off. Unless they will make good other eevees?

Panzon

Did you still need one? Or did you already find someone?

Still neeed it. Just let me know which of the 2 legendaries you want. PM me if you want

BTW guys I want to run a defensive Volcarona for one of my teams. Should I run a calm or bold nature. I usually like to play to the pokemon's strength but I'm stuck with this one. Any advice would be appreciated

Most fire attacks will KO them cleanly, sun or not. It doesn't really matter. Just keep them away from fire-breathing things.

Muku

Just curious, who's on the quest to 718? I'm on the fun quest of trying to have them all, but haven't made it all the way to White yet and am not exactly sure how many I'm currently missing.

I'm going to do it once it comes out. Will be a nice place to store them all too so when next game comes out transfer box over and wham bam got credit for 'em haha.

My problem is I've either lived in areas that didn't really have the events for some of the legendaries... or more recently, I've lived in Japan so I'm like in this odd in between. This is why I prefer Wifi so much more. But looking forward to Celebi. But I know there will easily be a few legendaries that I won't have. :/ Maybe I can find others with it that will want some old legendaries.

I'm going to do it once it comes out. Will be a nice place to store them all too so when next game comes out transfer box over and wham bam got credit for 'em haha.

My problem is I've either lived in areas that didn't really have the events for some of the legendaries... or more recently, I've lived in Japan so I'm like in this odd in between. This is why I prefer Wifi so much more. But looking forward to Celebi. But I know there will easily be a few legendaries that I won't have. :/ Maybe I can find others with it that will want some old legendaries.

Funny enough, I didn't bother going to the Toys R Us's and Gamestops to get them either:

http://www.pkmdb.com/

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So I've been playing around with a Volcanroa in doubles and god damn, this thing is beastly. Entire teams just fall to this thing, it cuts through them like a knife through butter.

PSS - makeshift MMO functionability tied together with duct tape
Super Training - Increases stats you train in (more than you would need for single player and isn't even the fastest method of doing so so you can just ignore it)
Pokemon Amie - Tamagotchi simulator

Okay cool, I feel less bad about ignoring that stuff completely now. There's seems to be plenty to do outside of it anyway.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
What nature you running on it?

The Volcanroa? Timid. One Quiver Dance and it outspeeds pretty much everything I've come up against. The power loss doesn't really seem too bad, everything goes down pretty fast. The only thing I've seen take more than two hits is a Blissey, most things go down in one.

Panzon

The Volcanroa? Timid. One Quiver Dance and it outspeeds pretty much everything I've come up against. The power loss doesn't really seem too bad, everything goes down pretty fast. The only thing I've seen take more than two hits is a Blissey, most things go down in one.

Hmm, I was thinking about running a defensive set on it but it seems most of the internet thinks a speed or special attack set is better

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Hmm, I was thinking about running a defensive set on it but it seems most of the internet thinks a speed or special attack set is better

I could see it working very well. The whole reason I want to use a Greninja alongside him is to get a free Dance off, counter his weakness to rocks and pick off anything that might survive a hit with a priority move. A more defensive set would let you get a dance off a lot easier but you'd lose a lot of the power and speed. He'd tank surfs and special moves better, not that he can't already do that easily after one dance.

onslack

After spending a few hours last night on here and on smogons site reading about sun teams I've picked a few pokemon to try and piece together a team lol

I've got -

Charizard Y
Chlorophyll Venusaur
Arcanine
Donphan
Mamoswine
Zoroark

Do these sound ok? What could be changed?

Next noob questions, (not yet googled anything for these pokemon)what would be good natures and sets for these?

Top Bottom