• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT3| How's That? Owned, Suckah!

spiritfox

So, I need more tips for my mono team. In general when building a monoteam should you have a move to hit every type super effectively or is it enough to cover weaknesses and common types?

The second is better, especially if you're sacrificing power to cover types that will not do well against your type to begin with. Neutral STAB moves will hit harder if you are going that route.

Wichu

I should make a monotype team again.

I have a mono-Poison team in White 2, though that will need a bit of tweaking with the arrival of Speed Boost Scolipede (currently running Swarm and Swords Dance/Megahorn/Earthquake/Rock Slide, so I'll want to replace one with Baton Pass). Maybe I should get Dragalge on it as well... Dunno what I'd replace though. Maybe Venomoth, since I have two Bug/Poison types?

I also want to try mono-Fairy. Azumarill/Klefki/Gardevoir/Whimsicott/Togekiss/Sylveon. TEAM CUTE.

Jaeger

About to head to work shortly. I'll be offline until around 4.

I got alot of Non Kalos Pokemon from GTS last night. I'll share the spoils and breed some more. I'll post an image of what I have new in a few hours.

Guys best place to grind for exp?
Usually to farm exp and force evolve pokemon i use the elite four, but i waste a LOT of exp, since after 2-3 tops the carriere monster are fully evolved...

ugoo18

Electivire, Magmortar, Porygon2 and Porygon-Z seem to be testing the trading powers of Elgyem.

I've got Electivire and Magmortar but Porygon2 is proving to be a bit harder, might have to breed my Porygon and go to the battle maison for a bit to get 2 and -Z.

I've got Electivire and Magmortar but Porygon2 is proving to be a bit harder, might have to breed my Porygon and go to the battle maison for a bit to get 2 and -Z.
I used a Kricketot holding a rare can PP max for Porygon 2...both times (I need to go for a 4th time too for a living Porygon 2 and Z to GTS help people evolving theirs...and I'm down to my last Kricketot but breeding Tepigs still). It took a long time for a bit. Longer than Zapdos and Moltres (and I didn't even bother with the PP max there).

Yieks these orphan Porygon w/up-grade for Porygon 2 GTS trades go back far in the pages (I'm finding them on page 5 of the GTS...but I've got to go deeper). I'm reminded of the Swirlix w/whipped dream for Slurpuff all over again (I think that situation has largely subsided now). There are loads of Stantler and Kricketot offers too...

One of my hobbies is GTS trading, especially finding the oldest trades I can. Oldest so far is a Bulbasaur that was hatched 10/29, player added to acquaintances, playtime was like 4 hours or something low...its more interesting if they're still active...

one_kill

Electivire, Magmortar, Porygon2 and Porygon-Z seem to be testing the trading powers of Elgyem.

Elgyem is done

I thought Milotic would've been good, but it's limited. I was planning to do Elgyem -> Milotic -> Legendary
but that only worked twice

My old method for getting Kalos legendary Pokemon still works... but, apart from the Birds, no one wants them anymore

ugoo18

Elgyem is done

I thought Milotic would've been good, but it's limited. I was planning to do Elgyem -> Milotic -> Legendary
but that only worked twice

My old method for getting Kalos legendary Pokemon still works... but, apart from the Birds, no one wants them anymore

Not quite, apart from those ones i mentioned Elgyem is still flying out of my box as fast as i can breed them.

SeZMehK

Oh yeah, I was only referring to legendaries

I'm in the same boat as you and I haven't figured out how to get Porygon2 and -Z
I'm still waiting for PokeBank to get most of the legendaries

I checked my W/B2 carts and I see that I am missing only Lati@s, Articuno and Reshiram. I've got all the other legendaries. :/

Edit: Oh and Moeletta.

joelseph

Have a gift card to spend and want to waste it on frivolous Pokemon crap, couple questions:

1. Recommend me a 3DS cart container that can hold my games!

2. I see the post-game strategy guide on Amazon for presale in February and on sale-sale from a few vendors here. Was it released in Europe early or are they just omitting the "presale" in the description?

Jaeger

I'm going through the dex one pokemon at a time and getting anything i haven't caught yet.

Oh yeah, I was only referring to legendaries

I'm in the same boat as you and I haven't figured out how to get Porygon2 and -Z
I'm still waiting for PokeBank to get most of the legendaries

That damn Porygon2/-Z, though. Going through the Maison is the most tedious thing ever for me. I'm still getting trades for most Non-Legendary Pokemon with Porygon, and Elgyem.

I checked my W/B2 carts and I see that I am missing only Lati@s, Articuno and Reshiram. I've got all the other legendaries. :/

Edit: Oh and Moeletta.

I can get you Articuno later. I really only want a handful of the Legendaries, myself (Beasts in Particular). I don't care for most of the Legendary Pokemon. Once the Bank opens, it will complete itself. I literally have like, everything on my copy of Black 2. Everything up until the new Gen VI Pokemon, at least.

Wichu

Have a gift card to spend and want to waste it on frivolous Pokemon crap, couple questions:

1. Recommend me a 3DS cart container that can hold my games!

2. I see the post-game strategy guide on Amazon for presale in February and on sale-sale from a few vendors here. Was it released in Europe early or are they just omitting the "presale" in the description?

I recently got the 'Nintendo Game Card Case' from European Club Nintendo, and it's awesome. Same size as a regular 3DS case, but holds 18 games. I've also got the Poké Ball game card holder that was a preorder bonus for X/Y here. No idea if either of those are available in the US, though...

Also, I have nearly all the old legendaries spread around my copies of Emerald, Pearl, and White. If anyone wants anything cloned once Bank is out, let me know; I'm looking for a Meloetta since I missed that event.

I recently got the 'Nintendo Game Card Case' from European Club Nintendo, and it's awesome. Same size as a regular 3DS case, but holds 18 games. I've also got the Poké Ball game card holder that was a preorder bonus for X/Y here. No idea if either of those are available in the US, though...

Also, I have nearly all the old legendaries spread around my copies of Emerald, Pearl, and White. If anyone wants anything cloned once Bank is out, let me know; I'm looking for a Meloetta since I missed that event.
Being that it was for B/W/B2/W2, I should have 4 Meloetta. I think I only taught Relic Song to one of them though.

ugoo18

Finally got Porygon2 and Porygon-Z (-Z is Shiny as well).

Had to offer Elgyem + Pokerus + Decent IVs + An Ability Capsule to get Porygon2

For Porygon-Z i traded Groudon, i initially refused to trade any legendaries but since it was shiny i buckled lol. I traded my spare Ho-Oh for another Groudon.

I'm not quite sure if i profited or lost out on that entire exchange but i'm happy for now lol.

one_kill

Is a Contrary Shuckle is any good?

Had to offer Elgyem + Pokerus + Decent IVs + An Ability Capsule to get Porygon2

For Porygon-Z i traded Groudon, i initially refused to trade any legendaries but since it was shiny i buckled lol. I traded my spare Ho-Oh for another Groudon.

I'm not quite sure if i profited or lost out on that entire exchange but i'm happy for now lol.
At least it's shiny haha
Well done ugoo!

There've been some shiny Mewtwo on the GTS asking for Victini, Genesect, etc. I'm not sure those are possible GTS trades but the green Mewtwo is pretty sweet, not gonna lie.

Korosenai

I'm trying to decide on a build for Malamar. Should I do Adamant with 252 hp and 252 Atk or should I do Careful with 252 hp and 252 Sp Def?

Wichu

There've been some shiny Mewtwo on the GTS asking for Victini, Genesect, etc. I'm not sure those are possible GTS trades but the green Mewtwo is pretty sweet, not gonna lie.

I need to RNG my Mewtwo in HeartGold. I have a perfect Jolly shiny spread that was kinda useless before, but now that Mega Mewtwo X is a thing... Too bad it still doesn't learn any good Fighting moves.

Usobuko

Banned
I'm trying to decide on a build for Malamar. Should I do Adamant with 252 hp and 252 Atk or should I do Careful with 252 hp and 252 Sp Def?

You're going bulky with something like Rest + Chesto/Sleep Talk for Careful nature? Primary attack for Malamar is Super Power and Night Slash so I don't think it suffers from 4MSS.

Anyway, bulky one will catch people off guard. I'm not sure if it's feasible enough though but I like it.

Korosenai

You're going bulky with something like Rest + Chesto/Sleep Talk for Careful nature? Primary attack for Malamar is Super Power and Night Slash so I don't think it suffers from 4MSS.

Anyway, bulky one will catch people off guard. I'm not sure if it's feasible enough though but I like it.
I was thinking of just running its normal set, using superpower to bulk up attack and defense, and slapping an assault vest on it for extra sp def bulk.

Adamant. 252 attack / 252 HP / 4 special defense is the way to go. After a Superpower you'll have your defenses boosted enough to keep the party going.

Malamar usually needs at least a little support either way. I generally run Ferrothorn with him so that Ferrothorn can paralyze / leech the enemy, switch malamar in on a fighting / fire hit, and proceed to get a free setup Superpower or two and restore health.

If the opponent uses Sticky Web, make sure to let Malamar enjoy the speed boost before you spin it away.

EDIT: Assault Vest is possible, but not recommended because you lose the ability to Topsy-Turvy and Fighting / Psychic / Dark has insanely versatile (at least neutral) coverage already.

Korosenai

Adamant. 252 attack / 252 HP / 4 special defense is the way to go. After a Superpower you'll have your defenses boosted enough to keep the party going.

Malamar usually needs at least a little support either way. I generally run Ferrothorn with him so that Ferrothorn can paralyze / leech the enemy, switch malamar in on a fighting / fire hit, and proceed to get a free setup Superpower or two and restore health.

If the opponent uses Sticky Web, make sure to let Malamar enjoy the speed boost before you spin it away.

EDIT: Assault Vest is possible, but not recommended because you lose the ability to Topsy-Turvy and Fighting / Psychic / Dark has insanely versatile (at least neutral) coverage already.
Do you use leftovers for its item?

Ryne

Shot in the dark, but would you have a Darkrai by any chance?

I wish the stupid bank would come to the U.S. Due to the daunting number of pokemon I was tracking between SoulSilver, White, and X, I can't really tell if I accounted for them all. My goal was to actually have all 718 and when I was done, gift all of my extra legendaries to my Safari friends who hooked me up earlier this year.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Just got the Up-Grade and Dubious Disc from the Maison. Can anyone please help me evolve my Porygon into Porygon-Z by trading back and forth twice?

FC: 2852-7581-0509

Didn't see anyone reply, so if you still need someone, just let me know here in the thread or pm me.

Elegym has proved useful for getting all of the annoying stone/trade pokemon out of the way, but I haven't been able to get a legendary for it.

The only legendaries I need that I don't have or can't get on any old games are Genesect, Keldeo, Meloetta, and Arceus, but the only one I want is God itself.

Will probably have to rely on someone's generosity with cloning for that, though.

Jaeger

Didn't see anyone reply, so if you still need someone, just let me know here in the thread or pm me.

Elegym has proved useful for getting all of the annoying stone/trade pokemon out of the way, but I haven't been able to get a legendary for it.

The only legendaries I need that I don't have or can't get on any old games are Genesect, Keldeo, Meloetta, and Arceus, but the only one I want is God itself.

Will probably have to rely on someone's generosity with cloning for that, though.

Sent a PM.

Wichu

Shot in the dark, but would you have a Darkrai by any chance?

Yeah, I have two in 4th gen that I can clone. I have a Modest one from the ALAMOS event, and a shiny Timid one from the Platinum Member's Pass event. Pick one, and I'll get it ready for when Bank opens :)

Yeah, I have two in 4th gen that I can clone. I have a Modest one from the ALAMOS event, and a shiny Timid one from the Platinum Member's Pass event. Pick one, and I'll get it ready for when Bank opens :)

Do you know what the IVs on them are? Either way, I would trade you literally whatever you want for a clone of the Timid one. Darkrai's my second-favourite Legendary after Deoxys :)

I just found out (by accident) that having an EV increasing item equipped will give you the 4(8) EVs per kill for that stat even if you kill something that gives a different stat.

I'm gonna start using this to skip the Attack hordes on Routes 14 and 19 because of how much it rains on those routes.

Top Bottom