• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT4| Don't Bank On It

Drago

I only found my first wild shiny a week or so ago, several weeks after completing the National Dex and getting the Shiny Charm. And today I reached 500 hours of play- (and idle) time. So yeah, it really isn't that easy to find one
Hah, I remember back around release it seemed like every other person found a shiny and people started theories IIRC that the shiny rate was increased or something because everyone was finding them. Made me feel like I had really awful luck. I guess it could be worse though, 500 hours sounds rough :(

Usobuko

Banned
You're a good man, thanks Daedalos42.

I think they should revamped Battlespot for the next game. Give you an option to save the video even if the other guy disconnect as well as a default win. That way, it would be clear whether he dc because of rage quitting or dc because of bad connection.

Quest1

I only found my first wild shiny a week or so ago, several weeks after completing the National Dex and getting the Shiny Charm. And today I reached 500 hours of play- (and idle) time. So yeah, it really isn't that easy to find one

If you don't count RNG abuse, then I haven't seen a wild shiny in 14+ years of playtime across every game, hahaha! :(

Kirlia

Banned
If you don't count RNG abuse, then I haven't seen a wild shiny in 14+ years of playtime across every game, hahaha! :(

Dear God...I feel really lucky. Nine caught shinies from generations three to five, not including one that exploded (Graveler) and one that fled (Venonat in SZ) AND the time that Professor Juniper's Minccino was shiny when she showed me how to catch Pokemon in Black.

MicH

Woah :( I've found wild shinies in total, funnily enough I found two in third gen and two in sixth gen, but none in 4th or 5th gen:

Tentacool in Sapphire
Wobbuffet in Ruby (In safari zone no less!)

Furfrou in my German Y (within the first 2 hours too!!)
Scraggy in a horde in X

So yeah, it's pretty cool. Too bad I'm so used to competitvely viable shinies now that I find them completely useful, but they're fun to look back on

Muku

Dear God...I feel really lucky. Nine caught shinies from generations three to five, not including one that exploded (Graveler) and one that fled (Venonat in SZ) AND the time that Professor Juniper's Minccino was shiny when she showed me how to catch Pokemon in Black.

Wow. Some of us really get the shit end of the stick haha. I've never found a wild shiny ever. And I've been playing since day 1 of Pokemon. But that's okay, because this generation I am finding it fun getting them through breeding.

Shiny #19 since getting the charm. I was trying to chain it, but I ended up getting it from the very first Radar shake. Lucky~

IkKarvB.jpg

Korosenai

Aegislash is my first shiny ever in a Pokemon game, besides red gyarados. Until i hatched it, I've never seen a shiny in the wild or bred one.

Kirlia

Banned
Woah :( I've found wild shinies in total, funnily enough I found two in third gen and two in sixth gen, but none in 4th or 5th gen:

Tentacool in Sapphire
Wobbuffet in Ruby (In safari zone no less!)

Furfrou in my German Y (within the first 2 hours too!!)
Scraggy in a horde in X

So yeah, it's pretty cool. Too bad I'm so used to competitvely viable shinies now that I find them completely useful, but they're fun to look back on

I'm trying to hatch a shiny Furfrou right now. Generally, the Masuda method in X and Y has favored me: I got shiny Espurr in 60 eggs, Pumpkaboo in 6 eggs, Phantump in about 400-500 eggs and Hawlucha in about 150 eggs. This makes up for the fact that, despite finding and catching quite a few shinies in the third through fifth generations, none of them were hatched. All of them were caught.

Drago

Only shines I've ever found myself were a shiny Zubat in HG and a shiny Tailow in Emerald (also got Pokerus that same day, which I still find crazy)

I've amassed many more shinies through events, trades, and such but only two I've found on my own. I'm hoping I get at least one shiny in Y before I fall out of the game again... I have Bravely Default waiting for me but Pokémon is holding me back >_>

Off the top of my head, the only shinies I've encountered in the wild are:

Rhydon - Pokemon Gold
Was the first time outside of Gyarados that I saw a shiny Pokemon. I thought only Gyarados could be shiny, so I assumed my game was glitched and turned it off. :/

Kricketune - Pokemon Diamond
Was chaining Pokemon someplace, and had it broken by this. Traded it for a shiny Ninetales.

Silcoon - Pokemon Diamond
Randomly ran into it in Eterna Forest. Traded it to a friend.

Tentacool - Pokemon SoulSilver
Randomly ran into this while surfing. Some friends of mine suggested the nickname Murderfish, but when I transferred it over to X, they censored the name back to Tentacool. :(

Ariados - Pokemon X
Was checking out what SeZMehK had in his safari. This was the first thing I ran into, heh.

Boogiepop

Dang. Don't give up hope, though, it'll happen eventually. I didn't see a single wild shiny in my thousands of hours since Blue up until fate decided to be kind to me and give me a shiny Mawile in White 2. I since ran into a few in Y, though that's definitely in part from the rate changes (Got a completely random shiny Ursaring, and then a Minccino, Lillipup, Venomoth, and Metang out of Friend Safari. What exactly were the Friend Safari rates again?)

Plus there's always chaining if you really want a shiny. And the shiny charm helps (though I have yet to get any new shinies since getting it).

MicH

Shiny Zoroark is sick as fuck

I'm trying to hatch a shiny Furfrou right now. Generally, the Masuda method in X and Y has favored me: I got shiny Espurr in 60 eggs, Pumpkaboo in 6 eggs, Phantump in about 400-500 eggs and Hawlucha in about 150 eggs. This makes up for the fact that, despite finding and catching quite a few shinies in the third through fifth generations, none of them were hatched. All of them were caught.
Shiny Furfrou is one of the best shinies, especially since you can customize him with the different designs and what not. Pretty cool. I may want to Masuda one later as well, but Masuda hasn't been kind to me this gen :( I got a shiny Ralts fairly quick, shiny Nidoran never happened, but I did get a shiny Roselia unexpectedly (near-perfect too! AND with Hp Fire!) within like.. 30 eggs. I may want to try it again later.

Drago

I know in B2W2 the shiny charm lowered the rate to 1/~2000 and Masuda Method to 1/~1000 right? And XY makes the normal rate 1/~1000. Is the Masuda Method rate the same as it was in B2W2 or was that raised even more as well? (do we know?)

Son Of D

Shinies I've found:

2 Shiny Houndours from egg hatching
Shiny Lugia from GTS
Shiny Regigigas from GTS
Shiny Ariados in Friend Safari

Pre Gen VI was a shiny Growlithe in Gold.

SeZMehK

Off the top of my head, the only shinies I've encountered in the wild are:

Rhydon - Pokemon Gold
Was the first time outside of Gyarados that I saw a shiny Pokemon. I thought only Gyarados could be shiny, so I assumed my game was glitched and turned it off. :/

Kricketune - Pokemon Diamond
Was chaining Pokemon someplace, and had it broken by this. Traded it for a shiny Ninetales.

Silcoon - Pokemon Diamond
Randomly ran into it in Eterna Forest. Traded it to a friend.

Tentacool - Pokemon SoulSilver
Randomly ran into this while surfing. Some friends of mine suggested the nickname Murderfish, but when I transferred it over to X, they censored the name back to Tentacool. :(

Ariados - Pokemon X
Was checking out what SeZMehK had in his safari. This was the first thing I ran into, heh.

I guess my luck is spreading. XD

Chopper

I chained a shiny Girafarig in Diamond, and Masuda'd a shiny Absol, with some tasty IVs, in X a couple of months ago. That's it. I'm this close to getting my Shiny Charm though, so I'm looking forward to getting some more.

Edit: Got a load of shiny legendaries and stuff on the GTS in Diamond, but they don't count. Despite the fact they transferred successfully, I imagine they're hacked to fuck.

I cannot get my head around competetive battling. Just too many moves, abilities, items and tactics to get my head around (maybe it will come in time). But I really enjoy the challenge and satisfaction of breeding and EV training pokemon with perfect IVs. You know...just in case I ever man up and do some battling. But adding the very real possibility of adding some shinies to the mix is gonna be pretty exciting.

I reeeeaaaally want to breed a shiny Spiritomb.

5sqGjMJ.jpg

Haha time to die.

I guess now I can finish working on getting the other Vivillions I still need, and the foreign language Pikachu/Rotoms and Shiny Rotoms I still need.

ezodagrom

Got a 3DS and a bunch of Pokemon games last September, so far got a shiny Rattata in White 2 and a few days ago got a shiny Machop in X (started playing X recently, only got the 2nd badge today). ^^;

Chopper

5sqGjMJ.jpg

Haha time to die.

I guess now I can finish working on getting the other Vivillions I still need, and the foreign language Pikachu/Rotoms and Shiny Rotoms I still need.
That's amazing. Conglaturation. Do you get rewarded for crowning the Kalos Pokedexes?

And excuse my ignorance/nosiness, but what is significant about the Pikachu/Rotoms you're after?

Kirlia

Banned
I have a sun if you want to trade a spare Vivillion for it. Don't care which pattern.

Oh, okay! I have a spare Savannah, if you want. Are we 3DS buddies? If not, my IGN is Aimee and my FC is in my profile.

How have you achieved this? GTS? Don't say Wonder Trade...

Wonder Trade did play a part; it's how I got my two Savannah patterns and the Continental pattern (via evolving Scatterbug I received via WT). I did have to trade some spare non-special legendaries over GTS for patterns like Icy Snow and Sandstorm, but I didn't mind. Others, like Jungle, Ocean and River, were gotten through requests here. There was a person in this thread who said they get Garden pattern naturally, so I'm waiting for them to pop up here eventually.

Chopper

Wonder Trade did play a part; it's how I got my two Savannah patterns and the Continental pattern (via evolving Scatterbug I received via WT). I did have to trade some spare non-special legendaries over GTS for patterns like Icy Snow and Sandstorm, but I didn't mind. Others, like Jungle, Ocean and River, were gotten through requests here. There was a person in this thread who said they get Garden pattern naturally, so I'm waiting for them to pop up here eventually.
Cool. I might join you in your quest once I'm done with the dex.

DaBoss

I don't know if I want crowns in my Pokedex or not. It means having to breed Pokemon just to get them native as Kalos Pokemon.

Is there any indicator in the Pokedex if a Pokemon was registered as Kalos native?

EDIT: Just checked and there is. That's good news.

Chopper

I don't know if I want crowns in my Pokedex or not. It means having to breed Pokemon just to get them native as Kalos Pokemon.

Is there any indicator in the Pokedex if a Pokemon was registered as Kalos native?
If you're asking what I think you're asking, yes. There is a red/white/blue icon instead of a pokeball to signify you're caught it at some point. I guess the ball wasn't in the game before the release of Bank.

Edit: Ah, you got it. :)

And re: breeding just to get them native. Wait til you have the Shiny Charm, use foreign Dittos and use it as an excuse to chance shiny hatches!

Quest1

I should've prefaced that I RNG'd pretty hard in 5th gen and have hella competitive shinies haha. Don't feel too bad for me.

DaBoss

And re: breeding just to get them native. Wait til you have the Shiny Charm, use foreign Dittos and use it as an excuse to chance shiny hatches!
I'm going to be constantly switching out Pokemon, so the chances for one aren't going to be good.

Kirlia

Banned
Bargained with an online passerby for the longest time...finally got a Mewtwo with Mewtwonite X on it in exchange for a spare Keldeo I had (the person said they wanted Keldeo in their status). So if anyone needs a spare Mewtwonite X, let me know. :)

EDIT: Thank you for the Sun Vivillon, Drago! ^_^ Only one pattern left!

Top Bottom