• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT4| Don't Bank On It

Chopper

So I finally finished the main game after getting it last month and now I'm looking to get into breeding and competitive battling. I understand how ev's and iv's work, but I have no idea where to start as far as team composition and movesets. Anyone have any tips or any resources I can look at?

Also, if someone has a friend safari with Ditto and wouldn't mind sharing FC's with me it would be greatly appreciated.
Just quoting this, cos I'm in a similar boat. I really enjoy breeding perfect Pokemon (I find it therapeutic), but really have no idea how to put them to good use. Is there a glossary for beginners that might tell me about common battle tactics and items? Every time someone mentions a Choice Scarf Scraggy, or whatever, I can't quite put the pieces together.

Saw my first X/Y shiny today. It was a shiny Vanilite. It was in a horde battle. I accidentally killed it. I don't mind. Vanilite needs to be wiped out from existence.

Saw my first X/Y shiny today. It was a shiny Vanilite. It was in a horde battle. I accidentally killed it. I don't mind. Vanilite needs to be wiped out from existence.

You monster! How can you do that to the amazingness that is Vanilite!

ee5b268c4f0f50039f1db4f18c3c19c7-d5b65wv.png

Sounds good. If you get a baby female Modest Gooey Goomy that is better than the mom, then yes, replace the mom. Though, why the Goomy dad? You could use a Ditto or anything else within it's egg group(s). Unless you're passing the move down first. But this generation female and male can pass down egg moves. If for IVs because he has really good ones, then that's cool. But if you get a male one that's better than the dad, you'll want to replace the dad too.

I'm going for the Masuda Method, and the dad is Japanese, and my game/the mum is English. I didn't have a foreign Ditto, and the dads IVs are good enough for me.

Seibmoz

So I'm doing an all fire type play through and I can't decided between my pure fire type. It's between Growlithe and Magmar. You pick Gaf!

Griss

So in my 6th generation of pokemon I finally tried breeding other than as a way to fill out the pokedex.

After a couple of hours I had my first 6IV pokemon! An Adamant Gale Wings Fletchling. Soon I had a 5IV Timid Protean Froakie, too. I can actually do this!

Would never have attempted it in the past because it took too long. But with the Oval Charm and Hatching Power you can get a set of 5 babies made in about 5 minutes. That's a huge improvement from Game Freak.

Of course, then you run into the brick wall of how hard it is to change and test builds. Every move a pokemon has learned should really just be in a list that you can switch in and out of the 4 main move slots. Drives me crazy that this isn't the case, and kills my desire to keep making good pokemon. I don't want to have to look up some website to see what good builds are because it takes too long to test them myself. I don't want to have to farm Heart Scales etc. It's a shame, because X hugely improved things almost everywhere else.

And you people who Masuda's Method for shinies? You are straight up crazy or unemployed. How long does it take on average to get one? 8 hours? More?

L.O.R.D

So in my 6th generation of pokemon I finally tried breeding other than as a way to fill out the pokedex.

After a couple of hours I had my first 6IV pokemon! An Adamant Gale Wings Fletchling. Soon I had a 5IV Timid Protean Froakie, too. I can actually do this!

Would never have attempted it in the past because it took too long. But with the Oval Charm and Hatching Power you can get a set of 5 babies made in about 5 minutes. That's a huge improvement from Game Freak.

Of course, then you run into the brick wall of how hard it is to change and test builds. Every move a pokemon has learned should really just be in a list that you can switch in and out of the 4 main move slots. Drives me crazy that this isn't the case, and kills my desire to keep making good pokemon. I don't want to have to look up some website to see what good builds are because it takes too long to test them myself. I don't want to have to farm Heart Scales etc. It's a shame, because X hugely improved things almost everywhere else.

And you people who Matsuda's Method for shinies? You are straight up crazy or unemployed. How long does it take on average to get one? 8 hours? More?
you could say...a week or longer

Wichu

And you people who Masuda's Method for shinies? You are straight up crazy or unemployed. How long does it take on average to get one? 8 hours? More?

On average, I'd say about 15 hours. The variation is pretty high, though. My Fennekin and Chimchar took maybe 4-5 hours each, while my Chespin took over 20.

onslack

Only need to evolve Binacle now for my Oval Charm!

I'd love one! I can give you a shiny Quagsire in return :p
FC: 0259-1589-8138

I'd take one for sure, but I've nothing special to give in return :(
FC: 4124-5406-9804

i would absolutely love one!

My FC is 5086-1416-1787.

Thanks!

I'd love one!!

FC: 4184-2302-3049

I'll add you all now

Could you all pm me your IGN's, mine is Terry

Boogiepop

I wouldn't worry so much about Heart Scales. You can just get them for Pokemiles, and I can't imagine you'd want to change move super often, anyway.

onslack

I'd really want one if you still have!

FC: 4484-9671-5838

I've added you all.

My FC is in my profile and I'm online now

PM'd everyone who's asked for a Mew for their IGN as i have no idea who's asking to trade with me so haven't accepted anyone's request yet haha

I'm just starting out with competitive play and I need some help with my team. So far I have:

Brave 6IV Aegislash with Leftovers
Adamant 6IV Mawile with Mawilite
Adamant 6IV Charizard with Charizardite X for now but I was thinking about changing it since I have Mawile now.

That's pretty much all I have now. I have a couple other decent Pokemon I switch in and out of the fourth slot but I still tend to struggle sometimes. Any help or suggestions? Thanks everybody!

RoySFNR

I'm just starting out with competitive play and I need some help with my team. So far I have:

Adamant 6IV Charizard with Charizardite X for now but I was thinking about changing it since I have Mawile now.

That's pretty much all I have now. I have a couple other decent Pokemon I switch in and out of the fourth slot but I still tend to struggle sometimes. Any help or suggestions? Thanks everybody!

Switch out either Mawile or Charizard since both are useless without mega evolving. What type of battles do you want to play? Doubles?

Firestorm

With two steels you're fairly weak to fire and ground attacks. Have you considered something like a Rotom-Wash or Rotom-Heat?

Switch out either Mawile or Charizard since both are useless without mega evolving. What type of battles do you want to play? Doubles?

Ok I was thinking of doing that. I think I'll keep Mawile and switch out Charizard. Or maybe I should switch out Mawile since I have Aegislash? Yea i play doubles.

With two steels you're fairly weak to fire and ground attacks. Have you considered something like a Rotom-Wash or Rotom-Heat?

I'm currently breeding Rotom-Wash now. We played each other in the tournament right? Do you remember which team I was running then?

Panzon

Idk why I cant seem to bring myself to play doubles. When I watch double battles I enjoy it, but as far as me trying to play it myself, its almost impossible.

I love singles so much

Korosenai

Idk why I cant seem to bring myself to play doubles. When I watch double battles I enjoy it, but as far as me trying to play it myself, its almost impossible.

I love singles so much
This tournament on GAF is my first experience ever with Doubles. I literally threw my team together in like 2 days before the tourney started and i'm having an absolute blast. I don't think i'll ever go back to singles... which sucks because 3/4 of my Pokemon I have were bred for singles lol.

Boogiepop

This tournament on GAF is my first experience ever with Doubles. I literally threw my team together in like 2 days before the tourney started and i'm having an absolute blast. I don't think i'll ever go back to singles... which sucks because 3/4 of my Pokemon I have were bred for singles lol.

I tried doubles properly for the first time in B/W for one of the official online tournaments, and yeah, I haven't looked back since. I think it helps that the games seem to be a lot more balanced towards doubles than singles, at least nowadays...

Do I need to catch or just see all the regional dex Pokemon for the Oval Charm?
It's taking like 15 minutes to breed and hatch 5 Goomy, and I'm gonna go crazy soon.

Now I know the hardships of trying to get a shiny. ._. I've been trying to breed for a Shiny Froakie for a good while. I have the Shiny Charm along with a Japanese Ditto.

Then once I finally get it, i'll be going for a shiny Seismitoad. D:

Top Bottom