• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT4| Don't Bank On It

Usobuko

Banned
The shiny is really gross though.
Spr_5b_429_s.png

Haha, I got one through breeding when I was giving Misdreavus away here. It has the perfect stats/nature too but yea, it doesn't look as good as the original.

macklelol

GG's Mack... should have probably just went for the hydro pump on T-Tar, though i'm pretty sure it still wouldn't have killed it.

GGs. That last battle ended up being pretty close. I think if you managed to kill Tyranitar, I would lost because I mega evolved Kangaskhan, leaving your Sableye to do whatever it wants.

That thread title, lol.

I'm a Ditto Safari willing to help gaffers, send a PM if you want it (although you're probably transferring your last gen perfect Dittos now (assuming you have those)).

Korosenai

GGs. That last battle ended up being pretty close. I think if you managed to kill Tyranitar, I would lost because I mega evolved Kangaskhan, leaving your Sableye to do whatever it wants.
T-Tar was just too bulky. I think if I would have attacked it, even with hydro pump, it would have lived unless I got a crit. It was just a good game on your part.

Want to play some more tomorrow?

macklelol

T-Tar was just too bulky. I think if I would have attacked it, even with hydro pump, it would have lived unless I got a crit. It was just a good game on your part.

Want to play some more tomorrow?

Sure thing. Just let me know when you want to. I think I'm gonna seriously put some more work on my doubles team now. I've been mostly using some of my singles Pokemon with some typical doubles moves.

Korosenai

Sure thing. Just let me know when you want to. I think I'm gonna seriously put some more work on my doubles team now. I've been mostly using some of my singles Pokemon with some typical doubles moves.

Your team is actually really solid. The only thing that I think you should change is Granbull. It just seems like a better pokemon could go in that slot.

Alchemy

Screwing around with building some VGC Tyranitar counters (my team desperately needs a solid one), and I came up with this goofy troll Barbacle. Not the most reliable build, but freaking hilarious when it works.

Barbaracle @ White Herb
Ability: Pickpocket
EVs: 124 HP / 180 Atk / 204 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Cross Chop
- Rock Slide
- Switcheroo
- Protect

He has just enough Attack to OHKO 8 HP Tyranitar with a Cross Chop, outspeeds Timid 252 Speed by one point, rest of the EVs go into HP for bulk. Rock Slide is obvious, as is Protect.

The goofy part is the White Herb - Pickpocket - Switcheroo part. With how common Intimidate is in doubles, White Herb is fantastic for maintaining momentum. If the White Herb is consumed by an Intimidate, whatever get hit by Cross Chop (if the Tyranitar switched out) will end up losing its item (Scarfmence is extremely common). If the item is potentially crippling, Switcheroo it off.

This is almost as fun and dumb as my Anti-Salamence Wigglytuff.

macklelol

Man, Exploud's Boomburst is really strong even through my Light Screen.

...whoa, I forgot about Light Screen being up when I brought out Exploud. That's crazy. Well, my Exploud does have choice specs on it, but damn, that's crazy damage from a spread move with light screen up.

Battle maison super multi. Made it to battle 40 this time before losing due to deciding to gamble on Arcanine not having flash fire (a dumb play on my part). In other news my Ninetales really needs a non Grass or Fire attacking move so I've had to go with psyshock (I scarfed it as Aerodactyl was giving troubles...of course now that my team isn't mega weak to rock; not a single one showed up).

It was a tricky situation, both arcanine and blastoise were red so a heat wave could have taken both out and the blastoise had used yawn (the heat wave missed). In hindsight I should have slain the arcanine and then medicham could clean up rather than lose in 2v1.

Daemul

Man, it's been years since I last played a pokemon game, my last being Platinum, which I adored. I didn't like the look of BW at all, so I skipped it, but XY looks interesting, especially with the inclusion of a new pokemon type. I have a 12 man pokemon team built up of my favourite pokemon from Gen 1, 2 and 4(I'm not a fan of Gen 3 and 5 pokemon), and I need a 13th member, preferably a Fairy type, since I have every other type(except Rock) covered.

Honestly, it's all about aesthetics for me, and the only one which looks decent is the Eevee evolution. Pokemon are getting uglier man. I still have to buy a 3DS anyway, maybe they'll add more Pokemon by the time I have one.

Also, quick question, I've been reading the thread and I want to ask, who the hell is Smogon and why are they banning Pokemon from being used? The everything but Legendaries rule that Nintendo and Game Freak employ seems fair enough to me.

one_kill

Man, it's been years since I last played a pokemon game, my last being Platinum, which I adored. I didn't like the look of BW at all, so I skipped it, but XY looks interesting, especially with the inclusion of a new pokemon type. I have a 12 man pokemon team built up of my favourite pokemon from Gen 1, 2 and 4(I'm not a fan of Gen 3 and 5 pokemon), and I need a 13th member, preferably a Fairy type, since I have every other type(except Rock) covered.

Honestly, it's all about aesthetics for me, and the only one which looks decent is the Eevee evolution. Pokemon are getting uglier man. I still have to buy a 3DS anyway, maybe they'll add more Pokemon by the time I have one.

Also, quick question, I've been reading the thread and I want to ask, who the hell is Smogon and why are they banning Pokemon from being used? The everything but Legendaries rule that Nintendo and Game Freak employ seems fair enough to me.
Smogon is like GAF except it's very much focused on the competitive aspect of Pokemon. They theory craft, battle, breed, etc. With regards to bans and particular rule sets, it's all done by consensus amongst Smogon goers. Pokemon, items, and particular abilities in conjunction with moves are banned because Smogon goers have deemed them to be unfair in light of particular categories (which they've also come up with).

Smogon rules aren't universal, but they're there for a particular group of people who want to play in a particular way.

Also, Carbink would be a nice fit for your team since it's Rock/Fariy. Hit two birds with one stone :D

ugoo18

Survive and beat 3 veteran teams back to back and the bulkiest Nintetales i've ever seen only to go down because of a damm quick attack Talonflame, another maison streak ruined -_-

So the TwitchPlaysPokemon stream made me want to fire up some Pokemon Red again but the game is a bit too easy for my taste. Anyone here know about any hacked versions that improve the difficulty and maybe the AI? I don't know if it's even allowed for me to ask.

I'm pretty sure you can ask about hacks as long as nothing but patches are linked. The only "hard mode" hacks I know of are for Gens 3 through 5. It may not be the same as the original but there's a hack of FireRed called FireRed Omega that may be to your liking. If it absolutely has to be a Gen 1 playtrhough you could try a challenge run like Monotype or Nuzlocke.

So the TwitchPlaysPokemon stream made me want to fire up some Pokemon Red again but the game is a bit too easy for my taste. Anyone here know about any hacked versions that improve the difficulty and maybe the AI? I don't know if it's even allowed for me to ask.
I can't think of anything for Gen 1. Pokemon Brown is a pretty well made mod though (new world and everything those goes with it). Fire Red Omega is a challenge sort of thing for Gen 3 but is a bit of the crazy and grindy side (IIRC pretty much all gen 1-3 Pokemon are catchable in Kanto, some Pokemon get base stat boosts such a Togtic who has Togekiss stats and
Misty has one
).

As for ways to make gen 1 harder. Try to use a weaker team I suppose of things they you rarely use (e.g. Meowth, Tangela).

spiritfox

Or you can let Twitch play it for you =P

Daemul

Smogon is like GAF except it's very much focused on the competitive aspect of Pokemon. They theory craft, battle, breed, etc. With regards to bans and particular rule sets, it's all done by consensus amongst Smogon goers. Pokemon, items, and particular abilities in conjunction with moves are banned because Smogon goers have deemed them to be unfair in light of particular categories (which they've also come up with).

Smogon rules aren't universal, but they're there for a particular group of people who want to play in a particular way.

Also, Carbink would be a nice fit for your team since it's Rock/Fariy. Hit two birds with one stone :D

Hmm, so they're hardcore battlers then. Sounds interesting, I might give their scene a try out. It seems they've just banned a couple of pokemon, Mega Lucario and Genesect, some people don't seem happy with it. I've never used any of them so I can't give an opinion. How are the voter's picked? Is it the top ranked players?

Hmm, I've just seen that they even have tiers based on usage. I'm guessing that means that pokemon are ranked on how often they appear in battles rather than how good they are, though there will obviously be some crossover. Electivire in RU ;_;.

That Carbink has impressive defensive stats, he would be a good addition.

JulianImp

You could always do a monotype run, a nuzlocke challenge, or simply stick to crappy pokémon, such as those that evolve early but are awful in the late-game. Only catching pokémon until you have six and not using items (other than HMs and the fresh water required to get to Saffron City) would probably make things a lot harder as well.

I can't think of anything for Gen 1. Pokemon Brown is a pretty well made mod though (new world and everything those goes with it). Fire Red Omega is a challenge sort of thing for Gen 3 but is a bit of the crazy and grindy side (IIRC pretty much all gen 1-3 Pokemon are catchable in Kanto, some Pokemon get base stat boosts such a Togtic who has Togekiss stats and
Misty has one
).

As for ways to make gen 1 harder. Try to use a weaker team I suppose of things they you rarely use (e.g. Meowth, Tangela).
I'm playing a fanmade game right now that's supposed to be hard but it's a bit distracting with the amateur story and stuff. I only really want difficulty boosted, not some weird new world with all new story. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Or you can let Twitch play it for you =P
I love watching it but more often than not I want to bash my head into the wall.

Hmm, so they're hardcore battlers then. Sounds interesting, I might give their scene a try out. It seems they've just banned a couple of pokemon, Mega Lucario and Genesect, some people don't seem happy with it. I've never used any of them so I can't give an opinion. How are the voter's picked? Is it the top ranked players?

Hmm, I've just seen that they even have tiers based on usage. I'm guessing that means that pokemon are ranked on how often they appear in battles rather than how good they are, though there will obviously be some crossover. Electivire in RU ;_;.

That Carbink has impressive defensive stats, he would be a good addition.
One thing to keep in mind as well is that every tier is its own metagame and Pokemon in higher tiers can not be used in lower tiers.

Also Electivire used to be extremely overhyped for its synergy with Gyarados but ended up being underwhelming. It does nothing other Pokemon don't do better.
You could always do a monotype run, a nuzlocke challenge, or simply stick to crappy pokémon, such as those that evolve early but are awful in the late-game. Only catching pokémon until you have six and not using items (other than HMs and the fresh water required to get to Saffron City) would probably make things a lot harder as well.
I don't really like imposing upon myself so most of those aren't my cup of tea. I do try to not use items whenever in battle and put the switch settings to "set" but that's as far as I'll go. I like building the most powerful team possible and still have a hard time.

I guess you could say I want the multiplayer experience within the single player story.

Wichu

Usage is really the only viable way to rank over 700 Pokémon. Fortunately, usage is heavily correlated with how good Pokémon are, so it works out quite well. My only problem with the system is that if a Pokémon finds itself in a higher tier due to usage, it can't be used in a lower tier even if its power level would be fine in that tier, but there's not really any way around that (we have to have a cutoff point somewhere).

Electivire just isn't that good.

I don't particularly care about tiers when building teams - I just use Pokémon I like and fit in the team. Fewer top-tier Pokémon = more variety; my current team has Carbink, Florges, Snorlax, and Quagsire representing UU and lower tiers :)

EDIT: Half of my other team is in the bottom half of all Pokémon by usage (including unevolved ones), but then that team's not supposed to be that good (it's a themed team).

JulianImp

I don't really like imposing upon myself so most of those aren't my cup of tea. I do try to not use items whenever in battle and put the switch settings to "set" but that's as far as I'll go. I like building the most powerful team possible and still have a hard time.

I guess you could say I want the multiplayer experience within the single player story.

Well, no Pokémon game ever gives you anything remotely like playing the same game with human opponents, and RBY were particularily bad with how the AI had infinite PP and spammed moves of the types you were weak to, regardless of whether they were damaging or non-damaging moves (ie: spamming Agility against a poison-type).

All Pokémon games (except for RBY, GS and RS) tend to have an easy main game, with some competitive-level post-game challenges thrown in. You'll never ever enjoy a challenge in these games' singe-player modes, even less so if you're min-maxing.

(ie: spamming Agility against a poison-type).
Poisonpowder vs. grass/poison types is another good example here (the poison type makes it immune to be poisoned).

Speraking of which the XY AI has odd things too. In doubles there comes a time when it wants to use will-o-wisp only my side is all fire types (so the move will fail), so what does the AI do? Burn its team mate. I've seen it happen twice and that is the explanation I can think of why it would do that.

JulianImp

Yeah, that Poisonpowder thing just happened on the Twitch Plays Blue stream. God, so many things were broken in Gen 1...

I remember being in quite some trouble against Blue's Gyarados in HeartGold after some of my team was wiped out, so I was forced to switch back and forth between Water Absorb Lapras (to take Waterfalls) and Golem (to tank Return) until it ran out of PP for both attacks. I felt kind of shitty for using such boring tactics, even at the time.

I've been grinding Spinda herds in route 21 to level a Mareep for my team, and I finally proved that keeping a pokémon from evolving grants it a 1.5 experience boost. I now have a level 72 Ampharos after depleting Discharge's PP about eight times (using the level one exp boost o-power a few times)... have I overdone the grinding for the E4?

Daemul

One thing to keep in mind as well is that every tier is its own metagame and Pokemon in higher tiers can not be used in lower tiers.

Also Electivire used to be extremely overhyped for its synergy with Gyarados but ended up being underwhelming. It does nothing other Pokemon don't do better.

Usage is really the only viable way to rank over 700 Pokémon. Fortunately, usage is heavily correlated with how good Pokémon are, so it works out quite well. My only problem with the system is that if a Pokémon finds itself in a higher tier due to usage, it can't be used in a lower tier even if its power level would be fine in that tier, but there's not really any way around that (we have to have a cutoff point somewhere).

Electivire just isn't that good.

But it looks so cool ;_;. Ah well, it's still my main electric Pokemon, I can't be bothered raising another one, I'm too lazy for that now. Even though other Pokemon do it's job better it can still hold it's own in a fight. To use football analogy, It may not be Messi level, but Ibrahimovic level is good enough.

I don't particularly care about tiers when building teams - I just use Pokémon I like and fit in the team. Fewer top-tier Pokémon = more variety; my current team has Carbink, Florges, Snorlax, and Quagsire representing UU and lower tiers :)

EDIT: Half of my other team is in the bottom half of all Pokémon by usage (including unevolved ones), but then that team's not supposed to be that good (it's a themed team).

Having only discovered tiers today I agree, I'll just use my favourites and try and win with them, I would get bored very quickly if I did otherwise. I want to become the best using my favourites not other people's favourites.

Plus, using lower tiered Pokemon in battles with higher tiered Pokemon will catch out quite a lot of players whose entire team(s) have been built around taking on Pokemon in the OU tier. The downside being if people start copying your team, those Pokemen will become OU as well, defeating the entire purpose. Oh well.

Like any other competitive scene I'm going to guess that there's going to be a disproportionate amount of rubbish players, which should make my integration into Smogon easier. Give me time to figure out which Pokemon show up the most and how to deal with them.

JulianImp

Having only discovered tiers today I agree, I'll just use my favourites and try and win with them, I would get bored very quickly if I did otherwise. I want to become the best using my favourites not other people's favourites.

Plus, using lower tiered Pokemon in battles with higher tiered Pokemon will catch out quite a lot of players whose entire team(s) have been built around taking on Pokemon in the OU tier. The downside being if people start copying your team, those Pokemen will become OU as well, defeating the entire purpose. Oh well.

Chances are you built your team because you liked the 'mons, so it wouldn't matter if they became OU or whatever. Even if you managed to catch some people off-guard, it'd be kind of like rogue-decking in Magic the Gathering: if it ever does work and catches on, the metagame will adjust itself and you'll be back to losing.

I'm really happy that two of my favorite pokémon, Aerodactyl and Pinsir, got mega evolutions in X and Y; hopefully, more of them will be coming someday. I'd be thrilled if at least one of the following ever got mega evolutions of their own
Torkoal, Shuckle, Octillery, Dunsparce, Stunfisk, Torterra, Venomoth, Muk, Crobat and/or Cofragrius

Daemul

Chances are you built your team because you liked the 'mons, so it wouldn't matter if they became OU or whatever. Even if you managed to catch some people off-guard, it'd be kind of like rogue-decking in Magic the Gathering: if it ever does work and catches on, the metagame will adjust itself and you'll be back to losing.

I'm really happy that two of my favorite pokémon, Aerodactyl and Pinsir, got mega evolutions in X and Y; hopefully, more of them will be coming someday. I'd be thrilled if at least one of the following ever got mega evolutions of their own
Torkoal, Shuckle, Octillery, Dunsparce, Stunfisk, Torterra, Venomoth, Muk, Crobat and/or Cofragrius

Hah, true, the inevitable cycle, it's going to be a hell of a ride though.

The Mega evolution mechanic should help bring neglected Pokemon to the level of others. Farfetche'd has been neglected too long.

I've been grinding Spinda herds in route 21 to level a Mareep for my team, and I finally proved that keeping a pokémon from evolving grants it a 1.5 experience boost. I now have a level 72 Ampharos after depleting Discharge's PP about eight times (using the level one exp boost o-power a few times)... have I overdone the grinding for the E4?
Interesting. Just read up on it.

It also makes me wonder if 2 or 3 hearts amie boost (20%?) is still worthwhile when I can get a much larger boost form the above. It should mean I can get a foreign medium fast exp curve pokemon up to level 100 in about 10 fights of Chateau level 65 Audino using O-power and lucky egg (if they can lead, honedge is quite good since it'll always use simple beam to give me +4 attack on turn 1).

JulianImp

Interesting. Just read up on it.

It also makes me wonder if 2 or 3 hearts amie boost (20%?) is still worthwhile when I can get a much larger boost form the above. It should mean I can get a foreign medium fast exp curve pokemon up to level 100 in about 10 fights of Chateau level 65 Audino using O-power and lucky egg (if they can lead, honedge is quite good since it'll always use simple beam to give me +4 attack on turn 1).

Yeah, I was getting: 270% base exp (1x base * 1.5 lucky egg * 1.5 unevolved boost * 0.2 exp O-power Lv1). It really helps if your 'mon has a global attack, though. My Flaafy had Discharge, and I also have a Heat Wave Charizard, Surf Greninja and Earthquake Gogoat (steer clear of sturdy Gravellers, though).

Does anyone know a fast and easy way to weed out HA horde pokémon? I got several cloud nine Swablus, but even with a Tyranitar to force some weather it was mostly a gamble of KOing them one by one and seeing whether the rest would begin taking sandstorm damage or not.

MicH

Yeah, I was getting: 270% base exp (1x base * 1.5 lucky egg * 1.5 unevolved boost * 0.2 exp O-power Lv1). It really helps if your 'mon has a global attack, though. My Flaafy had Discharge, and I also have a Heat Wave Charizard, Surf Greninja and Earthquake Gogoat (steer clear of sturdy Gravellers, though).

Does anyone know a fast and easy way to weed out HA horde pokémon? I got several cloud nine Swablus, but even with a Tyranitar to force some weather it was mostly a gamble of KOing them one by one and seeing whether the rest would begin taking sandstorm damage or not.
I use a Durant w/ Entrainment to check their abilities one by one

JulianImp

How do you guys manage to breed competitive gender-less pokes with any consistency?

This got me wondering... I think I heard female pokémon can pass down moves in X and Y. Is that true? I somehow received an adamant female Growlithe with Close Combat and Flare Blitz as egg moves, and was wondering if I'd be able to pass those moves on somehow.

I use a Durant w/ Entrainment to check their abilities one by one

Oh, I didn't know such an attack even existed. Thanks for the tip!

Chopper

Can someone give me a quick run-down of how to best breed Pokemon with hidden abilities? I have a Prankster Riolu to practice with, but assume it'll be a pain in the ass going for a shiny one cos it's a baby.

Ideally, I want to breed for a Protean Froakie, but no-one in my friend safari has one.

Top Bottom