• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT4| Don't Bank On It

Mega Kang hits twice, once at full power, again at half.

Parental Bond increases the damage of a move by an extra 50%. =P

I use Mega Kanga a lot for that very reason. I love Mega Kanga. What I'm asking is: 40 bp that raises attack by one stage, followed by 30 bp (Maybe? I think this calculation isn't tested but baby kanga hits for half, but since PuP just boosted attack by one stage its now a base 60 power.) that also raises the attack again by one stage.

OR

75 base power that gains health back, followed by 37.5 bp that gains health.

It sounds like most people prefer PuP.

Aggrotek

I use Mega Kanga a lot for that very reason. I love Mega Kanga. What I'm asking is: 40 bp that raises attack by one stage, followed by 30 bp (Maybe? I think this calculation isn't tested but baby kanga hits for half, but since PuP just boosted attack by one stage its now a base 60 power.) that also raises the attack again by one stage.

OR

75 base power that gains health back, followed by 37.5 bp that gains health.

It sounds like most people prefer PuP.

Doesn't really matter much unless you are playing VGC or Battle Spot as most people use the Smogon rules. And as per Smogon rules Kanga is bant.

Why is it annoying and a shame to use Smogon rules?

Also, Mega Kanga is broken. I hope it gets nerfed in future games.

For me, it's because they're sure to ban Mega Lucario and I want to use him because he's one of my favourites. Now if I want to play a 6 on 6 with someone using the actual game I'll get yelled at for using an "uber".

Smogon has good movesets but I don't give a damn about their rules at all. I hear that there might be talks about banning the Swagger and Prankster combination. Give me a break.

one_kill

For me, it's because they're sure to ban Mega Lucario and I want to use him because he's one of my favourites. Now if I want to play a 6 on 6 with someone using the actual game I'll get yelled at for using an "uber".

Smogon has good movesets but I don't give a damn about their rules at all. I hear that there might be talks about banning the Swagger and Prankster combination. Give me a break.
There are always going to be people like that. Not everyone plays under Smogon rules anyway, but I don't think it's annoying nor a shame that a particular group of people want to play under a rule set that they've collaborated on. It's annoying if they expect it from others though... unless, of course, it was agreed that the match would be under Smogon rules.

Right now, four of the six Pokemon I'm using are legendaries, with three being ubers. That's only because, with bank out, a lot of people are using their legendaries. Now if I was versing someone from GAF that isn't using legendaries or ubers, I'd probably switch those four/three out to make the match more balanced.

one_kill

Zapdos, moltres, Dialga, Giratina are top of my list. The beast and weather trios could wait I guess.
Zapdos and Moltres are easy to get so long as you can trade for Milotic.

atm, I'm using my Gligar rejects. Before that I've used Vullaby, Elekid, Elgyem, and Baltoy. If you get a pretty high level Pokemon (70+), you can offer them for the mascot legendaries. The Groudon I gave you was acquired by offering a level 78 Milotic which I got for a Vullaby breeding reject.

JoeM86

I never thought it would, but Malamar is quickly becoming my favourite Gen VI Pokémon. Mine has swept many teams now.

Anyone play showdown and gets a little bug where the Togekiss doesn't take Super effective moves from Ice Beam sometimes?

Is it using Roost from time to time?

spiritfox

*Googled*

I see. I thought it was just a normal 50% healing move.

That's why Roost can be dangerous to use sometimes. Suddenly you're taking Ground damage or SE damage from your secondary type, killing you. OTOH, you can use it to dodge SE against Flying moves.

one_kill

Some dude rq'd on me, only to say "CheatingAnnoysMe". I was using my Eviolite Porygon2 against his Xerneas!

I battled him again. He chose to fight me using only his Victini. So I sent out my Porygon2 to do the same thing. He rq'd again, lol.

Some dude rq'd on me, only to say "CheatingAnnoysMe". I was using my Eviolite Porygon2 against his Xerneas!

I battled him again. He chose to fight me using only his Victini. So I sent out my Porygon2 to do the same thing. He rq'd again, lol.

He's probably in the mindset that legendaries of any sort can't be beat by regular Pokémon or something.

one_kill

He's probably in the mindset that legendaries of any sort can't be beat by regular Pokémon or something.
Funny thing is, he only needed to do one more Moonblast to KO my Porygon2. Of course it would've lost more than half its life, but that's just how toxic stall goes.

It's just annoying how he thinks it's cheating. Then again, he's probably just some kid lol

Edit:
Anyone curious to see a Speed Boost Porygon2 destroy an entire team?
X9YG-WWWW-WWW5-Y6G7

It was against a random passerby who wasn't very smart, but it's just fun to see that a little rubber duck can take on all these big legendaries.
I also made a mistake near the end when I selected Discharge instead of Ice Beam, but I wasn't paying attention haha

RoySFNR

Then explain to me how someone consistently beats a mixture of Swagger, Thunder Wave and Substitute coming off of a Prankster. If the first coin flip fails, your pokemon is pretty much useless and swtching out only nets the opponent another turn to set up a sub or induce confusion or paralysis on the switch in.

Not trying to hate, but I'm just confused about the thought process of people who support that 'tactic'.

What'd be a better moveset for my Venusaur?

Leech Seed
Sleep Powder
Petal Dance
Petal Blizzard

or

Leech Seed
Toxic
Venochock
Petal Dance

one_kill

What'd be a better moveset for my Venusaur?

Leech Seed
Sleep Powder
Petal Dance
Petal Blizzard

or

Leech Seed
Toxic
Venochock
Petal Dance
Is it going mega? Will it be in a sun team?
If you aren't going mega nor use a sun team, Venusaur is just wasted space imo.

For Mega Venusaur, I recommend:
- Synthesis
- Leech Seed
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain/Slude Bomb

Mega is where it's at. Venusaur under a sun team is ok versus the right Pokemon, but you should really go Mega Venusaur.

Is it going mega? Will it be in a sun team?
If you aren't going mega nor use a sun team, Venusaur is just wasted space imo.

For Mega Venusaur, I recommend:
- Synthesis
- Leech Seed
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain/Slude Bomb

Mega is where it's at. Venusaur under a sun team is ok versus the right Pokemon, but you should really go Mega Venusaur.

Mega, and not really competitive. Just for the in game/Battle Maison and occasional casual online fights.

Forgot about Synthesis actually, may relearn that. I sadly don't have Giga Drain, although I do have a wonder trade Bulbasaur with it. Hopefully the next game'll add a Giga Drain tutor again.

Thanks.

Usobuko

Banned
Mine's this.

- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Power

It's similar to one_kill. There are threats which he can handle far better thanks to Sleep Powder/ Leech Seed/ Synthesis.

For example, Sp.Atk Genesect. Take a hit then proceed to Sleep Powder the foe and Leech Seed/Synthesis the next turn. The gist is to get back to near HP level where you can take at least 2 hits and then spamming Sleep Powder over and over. Even on the turn when it's clearly sleeping so that it goes back to sleep asap and you can recover next turn. Leech Seed would do the job of slowly killing it.

Sludge Bomb is for pesky fairies / grass and allows you to beat other M.Venusaur 1 v 1.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll probably go
Sleep Powder
Synthesis
Leech Seed
Sludge Bomb/Petal Dance

That's actually pretty damn close to my Leaf Green Venusaur anyway ha ha.

SeZMehK

I have completed my living dex up to the beginning of Unova. Almost there! :D Taking a break and playing a little bit of Bravely Default.

one_kill

Mine's this.

- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Power

It's similar to one_kill. There are threats which he can handle far better thanks to Sleep Powder/ Leech Seed/ Synthesis.

For example, Sp.Atk Genesect. Take a hit then proceed to Sleep Powder the foe and Leech Seed/Synthesis the next turn. The gist is to get back to near HP level where you can take at least 2 hits and then spamming Sleep Powder over and over. Even on the turn when it's clearly sleeping so that it goes back to sleep asap and you can recover next turn. Leech Seed would do the job of slowly killing it.

Sludge Bomb is for pesky fairies / grass and allows you to beat other M.Venusaur 1 v 1.
You know what, I'm going to switch Leech Seed for Sludge Bomb. I haven't been using my Mega Venusaur to stall lately so there's really no point in having Leech Seed around.

Usobuko

Banned
You know what, I'm going to switch Leech Seed for Sludge Bomb. I haven't been using my Mega Venusaur to stall lately so there's really no point in having Leech Seed around.

You might consider dropping sleep powder instead/as well. Plenty of Grass types or pokemon with Insomnia / Overcoat / Sap Sipper get a free switch in because of a very predictable sleep powder.

You can always consider :

Earthquake for Lucario, Heatran, Excadrill, Aegislash.
Hp Fire for Scizor, Ferrothorn, Escavalier, Genesect, Skarmory ( all very common switch in ) as well as other Steel types.
HP Ice for Gliscor/Landorus-T/Dragons

Then explain to me how someone consistently beats a mixture of Swagger, Thunder Wave and Substitute coming off of a Prankster. If the first coin flip fails, your pokemon is pretty much useless and swtching out only nets the opponent another turn to set up a sub or induce confusion or paralysis on the switch in.

Not trying to hate, but I'm just confused about the thought process of people who support that 'tactic'.

There are counter measures to this tactic though, and it can backfire on the user as well. Swaggering a physical attacker could give your opponent a boost, you can't thunder wave a ground or electric type, and Lum berries give you that free chance to come back.

Swagger/T-wave/Sub is kind of a cheap tactic, but ultimately that pokemon isn't getting any real damage done on the first 3 turns. They cripple the enemy team. I do kind of wish confusion only lasted 2-3 turns instead of 2-5 though.

Consistency? There is no guarantee of consistency in anything. It seems to me that people just can't accept that luck has an important role to play in Pokemon. One team can't counter everything and you just have to live with that.

If someone relies on such a tactic it's a gamble on their part too.

I'm not a user of this tactic by the way. I just accept the game for what it is.

KiraFA37

Anybody have any tips regarding breeding the perfect baby pokemon, mostly regarding how to increase its happiness the fastest? Trying to get a Pichu with good IV's and Volt Tackle.

Wichu

Anybody have any tips regarding breeding the perfect baby pokemon, mostly regarding how to increase its happiness the fastest? Trying to get a Pichu with good IV's and Volt Tackle.

Soothe Bell + Befriending Power + hold left/right next to Prism Tower.

Also, good luck. Breeding Volt Tackle means you can't use both Everstone and Destiny Knot (I'd use Destiny Knot and try to get lucky with the nature).

Ultimadrago

Been doing more ranking battles lately.

The feeling in a battke when all hope is lost is absolutely terrible.

I got beat by an all-Eeveelution team. Twice. In a row. My shame knows no bounds.

KiraFA37

Happiness grinding... need more shell bells.
Not sure if anyone saw it, but GameInformer did an "afterwords" interview with Masuda.

Pretty cool stuff, they talk about the romance with Shauna, possibly putting Megas in future games, Mega Gengar giving them a lot of trouble in rigging, and that Fennekin is Masuda's favorite new starter

Most imortant part, TIPPING HAS A USE:

Is there any advantage to giving a tip to the camera man, or the story teller? I always offered a good tip, because I didn’t want them to think I was a jerk.

Thanks for the tips! (laughs)

I think we'll be announcing what we wanted to do in regards to tips on the Pokémon Global Link or elsewhere soon.

....they're not gonna ban Mega Lucario lol

JoeM86

My latest shiny. Max IVs in HP and Sp.Atk, the rest are just passable

03054.png

Top Bottom