• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT4| Don't Bank On It

Alchemy

Probably just causal wifi singles. He won't be perfectly bred but I like him and wanna see how he works

3v3 or 6v6? Battle Spot singles is only 3v3, which I'm not a big fan of.

If its 6v6, I'd roll something like:

Sylveon@Leftovers
Cute Charm
Modest
252 HP / 60 Def / 196 SpAtt
-Moonblast
-Heal Bell / Toxic
-Wish
-Protect

Pixelate is weird since Sylveon is a Special Attacker. You can flip the 196 SpAtt EVs into Sylveon's other stats as desired, but the 60 Def EVs and 252 Evs are to force Garchomp Earthquake's to 3HKO Sylveon with Leftovers recovery. Wish is for team support and self recovery, as is Heal Bell. Flip Heal Bell for Toxic if needed to break certain walls. Moonblast for decent damage.

Not super impressed with Sylveon's movepool though.

JulianImp

Hey, Paras evolved!

Aaaaand he's still slow and soft as fuck. God dammit.

I always loved how some dex entry I read mentioned the crab/bug basically becomes a zombie under the parasite mushroom's control. Now, that reminds me of all the other creepy 'dex entries, such as Kabutops using its scythes to drain its victim's fluids, Cofagrigus absorbing unsuspecting grave robbers who get close to it, people's souls being sucked out of them if they look into Shedinja's back, or Difloon basically taking children to the netherworld (same as Dusknoir)...

KiraFA37

I always loved how some dex entry I read mentioned the crab/bug basically becomes a zombie under the parasite mushroom's control. Now, that reminds me of all the other creepy 'dex entries, such as Kabutops using its scythes to drain its victim's fluids, Cofagrigus absorbing unsuspecting grave robbers who get close to it, people's souls being sucked out of them if they look into Shedinja's back, or Difloon basically taking children to the netherworld (same as Dusknoir)...

Pokedex entries are amazing, shows how deep the world is. It is one of the few places where the game gets "harsh" as I would put it. If you combine the dexentries for Bandette and Phantump you get this *COMIC LINK*, quite touching.

Zeppeli

Banned
Parasect's slash has suddenly become based and the harbringer of doom

Is this guy even managable in competitive if I wanted to use him

JulianImp

Pokedex entries are amazing, shows how deep the world is. It is one of the few places where the game gets "harsh" as I would put it. If you combine the dexentries for Bandette and Phantump you get this *COMIC LINK*, quite touching.

It's one of the reasons I like Pokémon Special more than any other portrayal of the game world. There, the evil team rocket (among others) actually attacks trainers with their pokémon, and attacks are shown to have a variety of uses.

Managed to get my first shiny since Diamond today: a Poliwhirl! He has the nature that raises Sp Def at the expense of Sp Atk, which isn't great, but it could have been worse. I think I'm going to turn him into a Politoed w/ Belly Drum, Hypnosis, Waterfall, and Wake-up Slap.

So many of the Pokemon in X and Y are so charming in 3D. The idle animation of Poliwhirl is so adorable.

JulianImp

Managed to get my first shiny since Diamond today: a Poliwhirl! He has the nature that raises Sp Def at the expense of Sp Atk, which isn't great, but it could have been worse. I think I'm going to turn him into a Politoed w/ Belly Drum, Hypnosis, Waterfall, and Wake-up Slap.

So many of the Pokemon in X and Y are so charming in 3D. The idle animation of Poliwhirl is so adorable.

Congrats! 3D models also made me appreciate many pokémon a lot more than before. Yamask's ghost body is actually adorable in 3D, and its evolved form looks a lot more menacing. On the other hand, the amazing Tangela model with its fully modelled vines loses most of them as it evolves into Tangrowth...

CrimsonN0

Parasect's slash has suddenly become based and the harbringer of doom

Is this guy even managable in competitive if I wanted to use him

Someone on GAF used one in a Trick Room/Rain Dance Doubles team.
Trick Room to make it go faster than most pokemon and Rain to activate its Ability Dry Skin which restores HP in Rain or when hit with Water in which case its partner should be using Surf.

JulianImp

Oh god, I was just wonder traded a female protean Froakie with three perfect IVs! I hadn't known about the whole "using the mark system to write down perfect IVs" thing until I read about it in this thread, and have been doing it ever since, since it seems like an amazing way to let others know what they're getting.

Needless to say, if anyone wants one of them, let me know and I'll get you one once I get around to breeding it. It being an english pokémon means I could even try to masuda method a shiny, but I'll probably hold off of that until I get my hands on a shiny charm.

Talking about the charms, could anyone trade me Xerneas and Articuno? I only want their 'dex entries, so I'd promise to give them back within the same trade.
EDIT: Got them, thanks!

Even if they're marked it's usually a good idea to double check their stats because i've gotten some that had like 4-5 markings and in truth they had 0 perfect iv's.

Hindl

3v3 or 6v6? Battle Spot singles is only 3v3, which I'm not a big fan of.

If its 6v6, I'd roll something like:

Sylveon@Leftovers
Cute Charm
Modest
252 HP / 60 Def / 196 SpAtt
-Moonblast
-Heal Bell / Toxic
-Wish
-Protect

Pixelate is weird since Sylveon is a Special Attacker. You can flip the 196 SpAtt EVs into Sylveon's other stats as desired, but the 60 Def EVs and 252 Evs are to force Garchomp Earthquake's to 3HKO Sylveon with Leftovers recovery. Wish is for team support and self recovery, as is Heal Bell. Flip Heal Bell for Toxic if needed to break certain walls. Moonblast for decent damage.

Not super impressed with Sylveon's movepool though.

Yeah movepool isn't the best but he has enough to play around with a few different sets. And I feel like Moonblast might be better on a special wall sylveon, since you get that 30% chance to lower Special Attack. Wish/Protect combo is great, and with Toxic that's a great stall set

Alchemy

Yeah movepool isn't the best but he has enough to play around with a few different sets. And I feel like Moonblast might be better on a special wall sylveon, since you get that 30% chance to lower Special Attack. Wish/Protect combo is great, and with Toxic that's a great stall set

Sylveon is going to absorb most special attacks thrown its way just with its base special defense, so Moonblast works for either set. Plus it gets STAB and fires off Sylveons much better Special Attack. Most Dragons have really great move pools and stats, so the extra defense is really crucial for switching in on non-Dragon physical attacks.

Really the biggest thing I'd be worried about is running into Mega-Venusaur, Sylveon has to get the hell out of there in that case. Not seeing any reasonable answer there other than switching.

DaBoss

I remember my naive self thinking Arbok can evolve into a Seviper just because they were poisonous snakes with a snake like name.

Zeppeli

Banned
I remember my naive self thinking Arbok can evolve into a Seviper just because they were poisonous snakes with a snake like name.

Not like the show helped at all with questions like this

hqdefault.jpg

Yes, it said Arbok evolved into Seviper

Muku

Oh god, I was just wonder traded a female protean Froakie with three perfect IVs! I hadn't known about the whole "using the mark system to write down perfect IVs" thing until I read about it in this thread, and have been doing it ever since, since it seems like an amazing way to let others know what they're getting.

Needless to say, if anyone wants one of them, let me know and I'll get you one once I get around to breeding it. It being an english pokémon means I could even try to masuda method a shiny, but I'll probably hold off of that until I get my hands on a shiny charm.

Talking about the charms, could anyone trade me Xerneas and Articuno? I only want their 'dex entries, so I'd promise to give them back within the same trade.
EDIT: Got them, thanks!

Can't always trust the markings off GTS though. I've had some that are awful and wrong and had nothing that should have been marked. Some folks use it for different things, or because they like the icon or whatever. I'd always recommend double checking at the IV dude.

It's rare, but gotten a few nice things off it. Though I've gotten tired of giving decent things out and getting 99% of time junk in return. So haven't really dabbled in WT lately.

A question for you guys. I just hatched a shiny timid Noibat who has a IV spread of 31/31/31/31/0/31. Is that 0 gonna sink me later on or should I keep on breeding for one that doesn't have a 0?

one_kill

A question for you guys. I just hatched a shiny timid Noibat who has a IV spread of 31/31/31/31/0/31. Is that 0 gonna sink me later on or should I keep on breeding for one that doesn't have a 0?
Most Noiverns die from one Ice Beam so it doesn't really matter imo.

Congrats! How many you have left to fill out your National one? D:

Thanks! Like 300 lol. I think I have 480 total in the national dex and that's like 450 or so from the Kalos dex.

Edit: What would be the easiest way to complete the National dex? Would it be possible for me to complete it by trading or should I give up until I have access to the older games?

Muku

Thanks! Like 300 lol. I think I have 480 total in the national dex and that's like 450 or so from the Kalos dex.

Edit: What would be the easiest way to complete the National dex? Would it be possible for me to complete it by trading or should I give up until I have access to the older games?

Do you not have the older games? Could trade folks for the base Pokemon. Breed it for any additional Pokemon if it has more stages. That's what I did. Then I'd take the one traded to me and go to the highest stage with it if it required leveling. That way you'd have the bonus EXP for not being your own. If you need any help, I'll gladly breed you eggs of stuff.

Boogiepop

Yeah, it's totally doable. Just fill it out bit by bit. The biggest trick is the legendaries, but there's ways to work the GTS to fulfill that, and worst case scenario you could always get someone on here to help you with a quick trade+trade back if you're just looking to fill the dex.

Do you not have the older games? Could trade folks for the base Pokemon. Breed it for any additional Pokemon if it has more stages. That's what I did. Then I'd take the one traded to me and go to the highest stage with it if it required leveling. That way you'd have the bonus EXP for not being your own. If you need any help, I'll gladly breed you eggs of stuff.

This is the only one I have :/ Yea that's what I was thinking about doing. I would love some help! I don't want to make you do to much work though.

How long did it take you to complete yours?

Yeah, it's totally doable. Just fill it out bit by bit. The biggest trick is the legendaries, but there's ways to work the GTS to fulfill that, and worst case scenario you could always get someone on here to help you with a quick trade+trade back if you're just looking to fill the dex.

I was thinking about waiting to get the legendaries last but I should probably go ahead and start working on those too. What are the easiest ways or best things to trade to get the legendaries?

Muku

This is the only one I have :/ Yea that's what I was thinking about doing. I would love some help! I don't want to make you do to much work though.

How long did it take you to complete yours?

I was thinking about waiting to get the legendaries last but I should probably go ahead and start working on those too. What are the easiest ways or best things to trade to get the legendaries?

First day or so I spent just bringing stuff over from Black/Black2. I ended up going back and looking through boxes to fill in spots and all later. I just finished it yesterday completely. Glameow and Baltoy held me back but fortunately Nintendo Playstation helped me get those last couple.

If you compile a list, I'll help with some. If I didn't have older games to rely on it would have taken me a lot longer. Stuff I had in Black was stuff dating all the way back to Ruby. So I had all the old games helping me.

First day or so I spent just bringing stuff over from Black/Black2. I ended up going back and looking through boxes to fill in spots and all later. I just finished it yesterday completely. Glameow and Baltoy held me back but fortunately Nintendo Playstation helped me get those last couple.

If you compile a list, I'll help with some. If I didn't have older games to rely on it would have taken me a lot longer. Stuff I had in Black was stuff dating all the way back to Ruby. So I had all the old games helping me.

I'm going to create a list tomorrow probably. I might start tonight but it's gonna take a while. Thanks for helping me out! Any help I can get is great!

Muku

I'm going to create a list tomorrow probably. I might start tonight but it's gonna take a while. Thanks for helping me out! Any help I can get is great!

No worries. Been there done that, so would like to help others to finish theirs. Even if you need legendaries, let me know. I have some extras I keep around to help folks.

No worries. Been there done that, so would like to help others to finish theirs. Even if you need legendaries, let me know. I have some extras I keep around to help folks.

Awesome! I'll hit you up whenever I get everything ready. I was just looking and I have a few pokemon that I can evolve or breed so I need to finish all that up before I start my list.

Nekki

My team needs more defensive types. I'm eyeing Claydol.. any better ideas?? He has good def stats and some speed, but the rest aren't that good. He doesn't have to rely on attacks though.

Firestorm

My team needs more defensive types. I'm eyeing Claydol.. any better ideas?? He has good def stats and some speed, but the rest aren't that good. He doesn't have to rely on attacks though.

man I thought I was still in the olympic hockey thread and i was so confused

Claydol has good, balanced defences, Lots of Pokemon do what Claydol does, but can only take physical attacks (Forretress, Donphan, Skarmory etc). So if you choose one of those, make sure you have a specially defensive wall too.

It also depends on your other Pokemon. If your team already has a bad weakness to ice or something, Claydol probably isn't a good idea.

Hindl

Sylveon is going to absorb most special attacks thrown its way just with its base special defense, so Moonblast works for either set. Plus it gets STAB and fires off Sylveons much better Special Attack. Most Dragons have really great move pools and stats, so the extra defense is really crucial for switching in on non-Dragon physical attacks.

Really the biggest thing I'd be worried about is running into Mega-Venusaur, Sylveon has to get the hell out of there in that case. Not seeing any reasonable answer there other than switching.

Yeah good point. I actually have venusaur as a backup mixed tank to help support Sylveon. I was originally gonna run something like
Calm Mind
Baton Pass
Hyper Voice
Wish

and just be able to pass along those calm mind boosts. But that set up was getting too crazy. I could see running sylveon as a stall could be interesting tho thanks.

JulianImp

Can't always trust the markings off GTS though. I've had some that are awful and wrong and had nothing that should have been marked. Some folks use it for different things, or because they like the icon or whatever. I'd always recommend double checking at the IV dude.

It's rare, but gotten a few nice things off it. Though I've gotten tired of giving decent things out and getting 99% of time junk in return. So haven't really dabbled in WT lately.

I've been using it to dispose of my eight plus boxes full of Zoruas. I even got a shiny Durant earlier! It has awful modest nature, so I'd say it's legit. I also got an Outrage Charmander and two other ones with Dragon Pulse, as well as a second Wish Eevee and some other nice stuff.

I'll be trying to fill out my Kalos 'dex for the next few days, so I'll be spending most of my time evolving stuff. The charm isn't even that good, but it's my first goal before shooting for the full national 'dex.

one_kill

Gliscor? Porygon2?

Those are my main physical stallers. Porygon2 is particularly amazing since Eviolite also lets it be an spd tank. Just keep it away from Pokemon that may know Knock Off.

RoySFNR

Took the battlespot for a spin today and managed to get as high as 1700 which in turn dropped back to 16XX.

I find the only reason I lose is either because of untimely crits/hax or Swampert and Quaqsire. I just have no idea what to do to them while they yawn my set-up sweepers. Anyone with advise?

I run a dual screening Klefki with Garchomp and Mega X as damage dealers. I suppose either of them could be switched out if I see something able to ruin me like that but I have no idea which one. Charizard is more or less my MVP since nothing really stops him after a even a single dragon dance but Garchomp checks almost every dragon with a reflect up in addition to Talonflame who would be a pain in the behind without him. I was thinking of bringing Mega Venusaur but I some second opinions would be welcome! :)

one_kill

Took the battlespot for a spin today and managed to get as high as 1700 which in turn dropped back to 16XX.

I find the only reason I lose is either because of untimely crits/hax or Swampert and Quaqsire. I just have no idea what to do to them while they yawn my set-up sweepers. Anyone with advise?

I run a dual screening Klefki with Garchomp and Mega X as damage dealers. I suppose either of them could be switched out if I see something able to ruin me like that but I have no idea which one. Charizard is more or less my MVP since nothing really stops him after a even a single dragon dance but Garchomp checks almost every dragon with a reflect up in addition to Talonflame who would be a pain in the behind without him. I was thinking of bringing Mega Venusaur but I some second opinions would be welcome! :)
Mega Venusaur is awesome so long as you're not fighting against Pokemon with psychic and/or flying moves. It also counters Swampert and Quagsire. But you'd have to swap out your Charizard, at least its mega, to use it and I don't think that's what you want.

But I think you need a wall. Something that could eat up damage, poison/burn, and recover HP.

Top Bottom