• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT4| Don't Bank On It

JulianImp

:eek:! How many
human souls
it would cost me? I'll get the X version later in the day.

Don't worry about that,
it'll only take one... yours

I'll be home in about seven and a half hours from now, so if you happen to get the game before that, remember to add my FC from my profile and send me yours by PM or whatever.

By the way, you can get one of the Gen 1 legendary birds on the late-game depending on which Kalos starter you chose. I got Moltres for choosing Froakie, so I guess you'd have to choose Chespin to get Zapdos, and Fennekin to get Articuno.

Also, Sana (don't know her US name) gives you the starter the one you picked is strong against once you become the champion, so it's a nice bonus.

Edit: @Corvo: I think you won't get Houndoomite, and there might be a fourth Y-exclusive megastone. Charizardite of your opposite version is being distributed in japan, so we could end up getting that as well.

Don't worry about that,
it'll only take one... yours

I'll be home in about seven and a half hours from now, so if you happen to get the game before that, remember to add my FC from my profile and send me yours by PM or whatever.

By the way, you can get one of the Gen 1 legendary birds on the late-game depending on which Kalos starter you chose. I got Moltres for choosing Froakie, so I guess you'd have to choose Chespin to get Zapdos, and Fennekin to get Articuno.

Also, Sana (don't know her US name) gives you the starter the one you picked is strong against once you become the champion, so it's a nice bonus.

Edit: @Corvo: I think you won't get Houndoomite, and there might be a fourth Y-exclusive megastone. Charizardite of your opposite version is being distributed in japan, so we could end up getting that as well.

Sweet!! Thanks! As soon as I get the game I'll add you :D!

JulianImp

By the way, does anyone know if buying and selling items repeatedly in that central city gets me style points? Using that 50% off O-power I could basically keep buying and selling stuff forever. The megastone salesman's offering me stones for 50K, so I guess I'm really close to hitting the higest possible style value.

Also, once I do hit max style, who am I supposed to talk to to get the egg-hatching o-power?

Oh, and a note to new X/Y players: Use your o-powers as often as possible to level them up (using them on others is cheaper if you don't need the effects yourself), since you could help you a fair bit (mostly the shop discounts, extra battle money and extra experience ones, I guess). I only realized this in the late-game, so I ended up wasting lots of money on expensive TMs I could've saved by waiting until I had the level 3 shop discount o-power. D:

Wichu

So if I'm playing X, the only stones I cannot get are Charizardite Y and Mewtwonite Y?

The exclusive stones are:
X:
Charizardite X
Mewtwonite X
Manectite
Pinsirite
Tyranitarite

Y:
Charizardite Y
Mewtwonite Y
Houndoominite
Heracronite
Aggronite

KiraFA37

So if I'm playing X, the only stones I cannot get are Charizardite Y and Mewtwonite Y?

Nope, there are some more that are locked to a specific version, I was only referring to the 1st generation starters megastones. To undue any confusion: there are some stones that are version exclusive, like Charizardite, Mewtwonite X/Y and others. All the stones for the 1st generation starters are available, you'll get the one for your starter through the story, the other 2 you will have to buy in Lumiose. (Eg: picked Bulbasaur, receive Venusarite through story, buy Blastiosinite and Charizardite in Lumoise). Other megastones you'll get from random people or postgame.

Here's a list of mega evolutions and their stones from Serebii.

FleenerW

Anyone wants a Shiny 5IV Adamant / Intimidate Lv.1 Mawile? It's bred in Kalo too. The catch is due to my negligence, it has been cured of Pokérus so if you are planning to EV train this girl, it will be much more tedious than usual.

I should be able to go online 12 hours later as of this post.
Is there something specific you want for it? I don't have any shinies, but I don't mind hunting something else for you.

Chespin is Articuno.

By the way, does anyone know if buying and selling items repeatedly in that central city gets me style points? Using that 50% off O-power I could basically keep buying and selling stuff forever. The megastone salesman's offering me stones for 50K, so I guess I'm really close to hitting the higest possible style value.

Also, once I do hit max style, who am I supposed to talk to to get the egg-hatching o-power?

Oh, and a note to new X/Y players: Use your o-powers as often as possible to level them up (using them on others is cheaper if you don't need the effects yourself), since you could help you a fair bit (mostly the shop discounts, extra battle money and extra experience ones, I guess). I only realized this in the late-game, so I ended up wasting lots of money on expensive TMs I could've saved by waiting until I had the level 3 shop discount o-power. D:
I think 10k is max style. Just buy premier balls one at a time (mash A) to reach it.

Another thing to remember about the O-powers is the meter takes 30 minutes to fully recharge normally but by walking with your 3DS you can make this up to 4 times faster.

Dandalf

Neo Member
I need some motivation here, people.

Since obtaining the Shiny Charm and using the Masuda Method I've bred three shinies:

Honedge: 181 eggs
Fletchling (2): 231 eggs and another at 193 eggs.

Now I'm trying to hatch a shiny Noibat, using the Shiny Charm and the Masuda Method. My Noibat is English, and I'm using the same Ditto that hatched the other three shinies with.

I've read that the believed odds of MM and the Shiny Charm are around 1:683.

I hatched 1,660 Noibat eggs - no shiny.

This is really wearing on me. Someone tell me a tale of your over-the-odds shiny hunt and how you overcame it. I'm approaching three times the probability, and my patience is starting to wear thin!

I need some motivation here, people.

Since obtaining the Shiny Charm and using the Masuda Method I've bred three shinies:

Honedge: 181 eggs
Fletchling (2): 231 eggs and another at 193 eggs.

Now I'm trying to hatch a shiny Noibat, using the Shiny Charm and the Masuda Method. My Noibat is English, and I'm using the same Ditto that hatched the other three shinies with.

I've read that the believed odds of MM and the Shiny Charm are around 1:683.

I hatched 1,660 Noibat eggs - no shiny.

This is really wearing on me. Someone tell me a tale of your over-the-odds shiny hunt and how you overcame it. I'm approaching three times the probability, and my patience is starting to wear thin!
While my own Noibat didn't take that long, I can only say to keep at it! Though sometimes I do switch out to a different pokemon to give it a break.

Rating Battles on the PGL. They added the ability to check the Top 12 Pokémon. This includes details on data on what moves they use, abilities, items etc.

They are RIDICULOUSLY in-depth

BhUgrPcCcAARPce.png:large

Shows what they were used, what moves they used that took out Pokémon, what moves were used to take them out most. You can search for ANY Pokémon. It's astonishing. It's a game changer.
Okay, they definitely are taking competitive play seriously this gen. Hooray!

EDIT: They had something like this last gen but IIRC it was more limited.

Rating Battles on the PGL. They added the ability to check the Top 12 Pokémon. This includes details on data on what moves they use, abilities, items etc.

They are RIDICULOUSLY in-depth

BhUgrPcCcAARPce.png:large

Shows what they were used, what moves they used that took out Pokémon, what moves were used to take them out most. You can search for ANY Pokémon. It's astonishing. It's a game changer.

Not just top 12, but you can search ANY Pokemon and view its complete breakdown.

Looking at the data, it's close to the amount of info provided by the average simulator breakdown, which is what I expected them to be able to do from when the GBU first came into being :)

Boogiepop

So, UltimateIke mentioned the idea of a gym challenge in the tournament thread, and it got my brain rolling: Would people be up for trying a gym/league tournament?

I figure we could take the anime system a bit and make something really fun. I was thinking something like we get a gym leader for each type (Normal may not be able to hold up on its own, though, and Fairy's still a little underdeveloped, but I think it can hold its own). Gym leaders would presumably be volunteers with decent battling experience (IV Breeding, EV Training, doubles experience, etc) with enough time to take on challengers at a reasonable rate. We'd also have to figure out how to distribute types, since I'd assume some will be more desirable than others. And then once a challenger beats a leader they get their badge (with rematches allowed, of course), and people with at least 8 of the badges can enter a "pokemon league" tournament that starts, say, a month or two after the gyms open.

So, do you guys think this sounds doable? I'll keep thinking on the specifics and stuff, and I'm still worried as to whether we have enough of a dedicated battling community to make it work (though I'd like to think so). Also, if anybody else with experience making big threads and organizing things and whatnot wants to step up, PLEASE feel free to steal the idea. I just feel like it would be neat to try being a gym leader!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So, UltimateIke mentioned the idea of a gym challenge in the tournament thread, and it got my brain rolling: Would people be up for trying a gym/league tournament?

I figure we could take the anime system a bit and make something really fun. I was thinking something like we get a gym leader for each type (Normal may not be able to hold up on its own, though, and Fairy's still a little underdeveloped, but I think it can hold its own). Gym leaders would presumably be volunteers with decent battling experience (IV Breeding, EV Training, doubles experience, etc) with enough time to take on challengers at a reasonable rate. We'd also have to figure out how to distribute types, since I'd assume some will be more desirable than others. And then once a challenger beats a leader they get their badge (with rematches allowed, of course), and people with at least 8 of the badges can enter a "pokemon league" tournament that starts, say, a month or two after the gyms open.

So, do you guys think this sounds doable? I'll keep thinking on the specifics and stuff, and I'm still worried as to whether we have enough of a dedicated battling community to make it work (though I'd like to think so). Also, if anybody else with experience making big threads and organizing things and whatnot wants to step up, PLEASE feel free to steal the idea. I just feel like it would be neat to try being a gym leader!

I can already make a decent ice or water team out of my tournament team. I imagine the hard part is going to be replacing my clean-up crew: Mega Charizard Y.

JulianImp

It's a nice idea! I'd say challengers should submit the six pokémon they'll be using (just the 'mons, not their movesets) to the leaders, who could then choose the six pokémon they'll be using, as a way to avoid getting owned by teams tailor-made to counter the leader's type or party.

For types that are particularily contested, we could always run short swiss or single-elimination tournaments to decide who gets to be the leader of a particular type.

Actually, I think we could run a swiss tournament where all players have to use a single type in their teams, and decide the leaders based on overall performance compared to the other players who chose the same type as them.

Another idea we could use would be having each user ally him or herself with a type, and use monotype teams to take on other players of different types. That way, we wouldn't have a limited number of priviledged player slots.

Any way we end up doing it, I'm all for it. I'd probably go for Bug or Poison-type if given the chance.

RoySFNR

Anyone with an extra Charizardite Y around? X is amazing but I really want to unleash Y again after using it for a bit.

I will offer my everlasting gratitude and some breeding projects with the pinnacle being the longest egg chain in the game in the form of Switcheroo Klefki.

JulianImp

I'd love to do that with doubles teams, but I'll need lots of help with migrating from the singles format. I read a few tips you guys gave me, but I'm still not sure what the core changes would end up being.

Say, I'd think having two opponents means all-out offensives aren't as effective, or that perhaps making simple 252 EV spreads won't cut it. There's also the part about there being some abilities that work wonders on doubles that're never even considered for singles teams, and the same goes for some attacks.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'll support this if I can be grass and enforce a doubles format because I have a really good idea for a grass team

Oh, it's gotta be doubles.

I'd love to do that with doubles teams, but I'll need lots of help with migrating from the singles format. I read a few tips you guys gave me, but I'm still not sure what the core changes would end up being.

Say, I'd think having two opponents means all-out offensives aren't as effective, or that perhaps making simple 252 EV spreads won't cut it. There's also the part about there being some abilities that work wonders on doubles that're never even considered for singles teams, and the same goes for some attacks.

Protect is a lot stronger in doubles, not only because it prevents damage but because using it well allows you to control the flow of the match. My hardest matches in the recent GAF tourney have been against people who could use it well.

fek

Actually, I think we could run a swiss tournament where all players have to use a single type in their teams, and decide the leaders based on overall performance compared to the other players who chose the same type as them.
I like this kind of tournament, would participate for sure.

OceanBlue

Normal may not be able to hold up on its own, though

But Normal gets Pokemon like Mega Kangaskhan, Porygon2, Blissey, Scarfed Ditto, Banded Staraptor, Exploud, Ambipom, Cinccino, etc. I feel like Grass and Ice are less capable than Normal. Normal actually seems kinda scary lol.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
But Normal gets Pokemon like Mega Kangaskhan, Porygon2, Blissey, Scarfed Ditto, Banded Staraptor, Exploud, Ambipom, Cinccino, etc. I feel like Grass and Ice are less capable than Normal. Normal actually seems kinda scary lol.

Ice can be straight up beastly if you use it right.

Boogiepop

Yeah, normal has some good pokemon, but I feel like it'd have one of the trickiest times covering its weaknesses (though I did forget about the nice addition of ditto). I mean, pretty much everything worthwhile is either plain Normal or Normal/Flying.

Gym league idea sounds like a lot of fun! I would have killed to participate in something like that a few years ago...still would try to participate!

DaBoss

Ice is the worst type. Cause Game Freak are gonna Game Freak.
Gym league idea sounds like a lot of fun! I would have killed to participate in something like that a few years ago...still would try to participate!
Good thing now you don't want to kill to participate in that kind of thing now.

JulianImp

Poison still exists, though.

Hey, don't badmouth one of the two types I might end up playing!

The pokémon I'm currently considering are Nidoking, Tentacruel, Toxicroak, Venusaur, Crobat, Gengar, Scolipede, Roserade, Drapion, Amoongus and Dralgae; but I'll have to think about it some more to decide on their movesets and how they're going to work as a team.

The other type I'd like, bug, seems way worse; nearly all of them are mauled to death by a single Sealth Rock, the only exceptions being stuff such as Scizor and Forretress.

At least it's interesting how every type has at least one mega evolution available.

ReiGun

Trying to IV Breed for the first time and my stars and stripes, how can people stand this?! I've got 45 Eevee's here and still going. lmao

WonderPup

I won't be home for a few hours, but does anyone have a wayward Honedge / Doublade / Aegislash with Wide Guard that needs a good home? If so, I think I can accommodate.

Just let me know! :D

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Tell me more about this God Ditto. I would like to learn his ways and perhaps subscribe to this faith. I caught a bunch on Friend Safari; are they not good enough?

On the plus side, I'm about to make a bunch of kids on Wonder Trade pretty happy.

God-Ditto has six perfect IVs. Makes breeding easy, toss a Destiny Knot on him and throw him in the day care. Just make sure whatever you throw in there with him has the right nature and God-Ditto does the rest. Just set it and forget it.

Like I said, we have a few guys here who can clone them. Maybe one of them will come on, see this conversation and offer to do one for you.

Hey, don't badmouth one of the two types I might end up playing!

The pokémon I'm currently considering are Nidoking, Tentacruel, Toxicroak, Venusaur, Crobat, Gengar, Scolipede, Roserade, Drapion, Amoongus and Dralgae; but I'll have to think about it some more to decide on their movesets and how they're going to work as a team.
Yeah. I like poison type. By itself, it's nothing special, but it includes a lot of really fun 'mons. Lots of subtypes available. You could field a really versatile team.

macklelol

I won't be home for a few hours, but does anyone have a wayward Honedge / Doublade / Aegislash with Wide Guard that needs a good home? If so, I think I can accommodate.

Just let me know! :D

I'll try my hand at that breeding chain, just give me a few days to do it.

L.O.R.D

so, finally start EV train my shiny Honeedge ( Adamant )
i finished attack states
i am thinking speed because he so slow , what do you think ?
or maybe 126 HP , 126 Speed

Top Bottom