• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT4| Don't Bank On It

Boogiepop

It's a nice idea! I'd say challengers should submit the six pokémon they'll be using (just the 'mons, not their movesets) to the leaders, who could then choose the six pokémon they'll be using, as a way to avoid getting owned by teams tailor-made to counter the leader's type or party.

For types that are particularily contested, we could always run short swiss or single-elimination tournaments to decide who gets to be the leader of a particular type.

Actually, I think we could run a swiss tournament where all players have to use a single type in their teams, and decide the leaders based on overall performance compared to the other players who chose the same type as them.

Another idea we could use would be having each user ally him or herself with a type, and use monotype teams to take on other players of different types. That way, we wouldn't have a limited number of priviledged player slots.

Any way we end up doing it, I'm all for it. I'd probably go for Bug or Poison-type if given the chance.

Yeah, getting things setup is the definitely a bit of a roadblock in my mind. Right now I'm thinking of maybe creating an initial thread to call for gym leaders applications and see what kind of data I can gather and see if I can work something out without getting too fancy. Like, ask people their top 3 preferred types and what types they absolutely wouldn't want to have. But yeah, we may have to run some sort of mini-tournament if interest is high enough. The idea of a monotype tournament is cool too, but I really want to try to use the whole "gym leader+Pokemon League" idea. Just feels like it could be really fun.

I guess I'll probably think something up and start working on a thread to call for gym leaders soon. And again, if anyone wants to take over administratively feel free, because I absolutely don't have any experience organizing events or anything like this.

OceanBlue

so, finally start EV train my shiny Honeedge ( Adamant )
i finished attack states
i am thinking speed because he so slow , what do you think ?
or maybe 126 HP , 126 Speed

You don't want Aegislash to be fast because you want Aegislash to go second. If Aegislash goes first, it will take a hit in its sword form, which has no defense stats. If Aegislash goes second, it will take a hit in its shield form, which has very high defensive stats.

L.O.R.D

You don't want Aegislash to be fast because you want Aegislash to go second. If Aegislash goes first, it will take a hit in its sword form, which has no defense stats. If Aegislash goes second, it will take a hit in its shield form, which has very high defensive stats.

i was thinking to not evolve him to the final form
i was thinking ti keep it on Doublade and attach evolite to him

Alchemy

No. Eviolite Doublade isn't as good as Aegislash.

Just invest in HP and attack.

Eviolite Doublade is a completely different Pokemon if you want to use it correctly, so its a tad hard to compare. Doublade has trouble in singles, but in Doubles he does some interesting things with No Guard. Swords Dance first turn, partner uses Sky Drop. Shadow Sneak Turn 2, hopefully killing your target with Shadow Sneak + Sky Drop. He also gets access to Swagger, so you can do some shenanigans using Swagger on a Sky Dropped opponent or even your partner for an Attack boost.

Doublade is definitely more situational then Aegislash.

You know you've hit a rut once you have a lot of competitive ready Pokemon in your plate, yet, you don't know what to work on next. Perhaps I should start working on the Masuda Method and see how long it takes for me to get a good Shiny.

Wichu

I'd definitely be up for a GAF Gym League :)

I'd really like to play a Poison team, since my 5th gen mono-Poison team was pretty awesome - looks like I'll have to compete with JulianImp for that (so much for Poison not being popular).

Dark and Ghost seem like they could be fun, too. If we decide on doing doubles/triples, then I'd like to try Grass.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Got a shiny level 100 Lucario in a Wonder Trade. It's hacked, isn't it? How would I know?

Alchemy

I'd be up for trying to build a mono-type Gym team if we're doing level 50 rules and not letting people over level for Gym battles like they can in game. Could even work in a Gym that does doubles, triples, or rotation as well.

Got a shiny level 100 Lucario in a Wonder Trade. It's hacked, isn't it? How would I know?

If it is hacked and in X and Y, it is a "legit" hack. Meaning it can exist in the game and could be obtained legitimately. No real way to know.

one_kill

Eviolite Doublade is a completely different Pokemon if you want to use it correctly, so its a tad hard to compare. Doublade has trouble in singles, but in Doubles he does some interesting things with No Guard. Swords Dance first turn, partner uses Sky Drop. Shadow Sneak Turn 2, hopefully killing your target with Shadow Sneak + Sky Drop. He also gets access to Swagger, so you can do some shenanigans using Swagger on a Sky Dropped opponent or even your partner for an Attack boost.

Doublade is definitely more situational then Aegislash.
It's not viable in the current meta unless you're doing UU.

You can compare Aegislash and Doublade like night and day since one is better than the other.

If it's bred in Kalos, it's legit. Check its stats too. If it's 6IV, it's possible that it's hacked.

Alchemy

You can compare Aegislash and Doublade like night and day since one is better than the other.

I was speaking VGC Doubles, I'd agree that Doublade isn't very viable in any/most singles format. Doublade has no real way to abuse No Guard on his own.

Aggrotek

Made a list.

B-Dubs: Ice/Water
JulianImp: Bug/Poison (Doubles)
PreyingShark: Grass (Doubles)
KiraFA37: Steel (Doubles)
one_kill: Flying
Wichu: Poison/Dark/Ghost
Aggrotek: Electric/Psychic
Professor Beef: Water
El_Chino: Fire?

That leaves us with Ground, Rock, Fighting, Normal, Fire?, Dragon, Fairy.

JulianImp

Made a list.

JulianImp: Bug/Poison
Aggrotek: Electric/Poison/Psychic

That leaves us with Ground, Rock, Fighting, Normal, Fire, Dragon, Fairy.

I'd be fine with doubles as well. Perhaps that could lead to more interesting teams, since we'll have to make sure the 'mons have good synergy with each other.

El_Chino

Made a list.

JulianImp: Bug/Poison
Aggrotek: Electric/Poison/Psychic

That leaves us with Ground, Rock, Fighting, Normal, Fire, Dragon, Fairy.
Would love to sign up for the Fire gym but unfortunately I don't think my team would be quite ready yet.

Aggrotek

I'll drop out of the poison race, so someone else can have a shot at it. 2 people already want it lol

Alchemy: Fighting

That leaves us with Ground, Rock, Normal, Fire?, Dragon, Fairy.

After spending all day yesterday hatching Pinsirs I finally got my shiny today. Except it's got a spread of 31/31/31/31/31/12. I just gotta ask the RNG how come it didn't swap spots with Sp.A >.<

JulianImp

I've decided to go poison-type, so I'll begin breeding my stuff now. Gotta do a three-step breeding process to get two different egg moves into a Croagunk (thank the Helix that females also pass down egg moves in this gen).

By the way, does anyone have a HA Grimer, Tentacool, Zubat and Nidoran(f), or a safari that has them?

Also, talking about Nidorans... is it that only Nidoqueen and King can breed, or am I just making things up?

Sweet!! Thanks! As soon as I get the game I'll add you :D!

Okay, your Chikorita egg is ready! It's probably about to hatch, so you won't have to run around for hours on end. I'll use my newly acquired egg hatching o-power on you so it hatches even faster once we're done trading.

We using any rules for these teams, like OU, Item Clause, bans? I'm assuming no Legendaries?

I'd say item clause, species clause, no legendaries. Some types will be at an inherent disadvantage compared to others due to having fewer OU-viable pokémon, but I think intentionally nerfing the stronger teams would be kind of bad. Besides, it'd be a bit more realistic, with some leaders having stronger teams than others due to the type they specialize in.

I may try to create a badge for myself.

Perhaps we could ask Neorice to lend us a hand with that? Even if we end up doing them ourselves, I think having mini-badges people could stick into their avatars could be a nice touch.

My mind is already forming cheesy gym leader introductions.

That reminds me... how did Koga's E4 one go in G/S? I remember it being something along the lines of "I live in the shadows, a ninja! Something something confound and destroy you".

Quest1

I'll drop out of the poison race, so someone else can have a shot at it. 2 people already want it lol

That leaves us with Ground, Rock, Normal, Fire?, Dragon, Fairy.

I'd like fire, but if it's taken, Dragon? I just got in this conversation, so I dunno what this all entails, but if it gets me playing again, I am in.

Also, in a couple weeks, I might start a singles/smogon standard double elim tournament. Is there enough interest for it?

spiritfox

I'll love to be Ground. I'll be the Giovanni I guess. Muahahaha.

BTW is there a Ground Mega?

Edit: oh MegaChomp. Meh I guess I won't be using a Mega.

Aggrotek

Aggrotek: Psychic
Quest1: Fire/Dragon
Spiritfox: Ground

That leaves us with Electric, Rock, Normal, Fairy.

I have chosen Psychic, Electric is now open.

I've decided to go poison-type, so I'll begin breeding my stuff now. Gotta do a three-step breeding process to get two different egg moves into a Croagunk (thank the Helix that females also pass down egg moves in this gen).

I would talk with Wichu and decide between you who wants to do Poison.

L.O.R.D

If it's bred in Kalos, it's legit. Check its stats too. If it's 6IV, it's possible that it's hacked.

unless , its a clone

====

soo, what the best level to evolve to Aegislash ?
40 ?

Boogiepop

Well, since it looks like it's evolved enough without me trying to push it through a separate thread: I can take Rock for sure from what's left. Some interesting options in there for sure...

Edit: Though I could also take Electric if necessary.

JulianImp

If we do the whole swiss tournament thing, then we could decide who keeps what types there. That, or we could split gyms into singles and doubles, and have a leader for each.

I have an unrelated question to all this... earlier today I went to the PGL and got my boutique discount thing, but I logged into PokéBank before I did a game link, and the Bank gave me some pokémiles. Now, I've looked on the bottom of my bag and there's no discount coupon there... have I overwritten the slightly useful coupon for a measly ten pokémiles?

Somebody on my friend list had a HA Muk in his safari and I caught one, I'll quickly breed him if you want.

That'd be great!

Aggrotek

Just brainstorming ideas:

1. Gyms must have 6 Pokemon that all share at least 1 type.
2. Challengers may use any type combinations they so choose.
3. Both the Gym Leader and the Challenger may have a maximum of 1 Mega Evolution.
4. Pokemon that are Listed as Uber via Smogon banlist are prohibited. (This one is debatable.)
5. Gym Leaders may revise their team once every two weeks.
6. Challengers must wait a minimum of 3 days before challenging the same gym a consecutive time.
7. No OHKO Moves.
8. Only one Pokemon may be put to sleep on either team. (Self inflicted sleep does not count.)
9. The ability Moody is not allowed.
10. Each team is only allowed 1 Pokemon of a given Species.

Any other ideas?

fek: Electric
SeZMehK: Fairy
Boogiepop: Rock
macklelol: Ghost/Normal

Those of you with multiple types, try to select one. Please contact the other members with shared types to agree on a type.

one_kill

You need to go to the Pokemon Centre and speak to the lady in red after performing a Game Sync.

3. Both the Gym Leader and the Challenger may have a maximum of 1 Mega Evolution.
4. Pokemon that are Listed as Uber via Smogon banlist are prohibited. (This one is debatable.)
6. Challengers must wait a minimum of 3 days before challenging the same gym a consecutive time.
7. No OHKO Moves.
8. Only one Pokemon may be put to sleep on either team. (Self inflicted sleep does not count.)

Any other ideas?
I'd just go with Battle Maison restrictions.

I want the three forces of nature in my team :x wahahahaha

Wichu

If we do the whole swiss tournament thing, then we could decide who keeps what types there. That, or we could split gyms into singles and doubles, and have a leader for each.

I have an unrelated question to all this... earlier today I went to the PGL and got my boutique discount thing, but I logged into PokéBank before I did a game link, and the Bank gave me some pokémiles. Now, I've looked on the bottom of my bag and there's no discount coupon there... have I overwritten the slightly useful coupon for a measly ten pokémiles?

Hmm... Having both singles and doubles could work, but that would mean 36 badges in total, which seems a bit extreme.

I don't think a tournament will be necessary; I'm pretty sure we can organise ourselves without one. Though I'd love to crush you with my Poison team :p

Anyway, IIRC you need to pick the Discount Coupon up from a delivery person somewhere (Pokémon Center?)

EDIT: Beaten.

Aggrotek

Hmm... Having both singles and doubles could work, but that would mean 36 badges in total, which seems a bit extreme.

I don't think a tournament will be necessary; I'm pretty sure we can organise ourselves without one. Though I'd love to crush you with my Poison team :p

Anyway, IIRC you need to pick the Discount Coupon up from a delivery person somewhere (Pokémon Center?)

EDIT: Beaten.

Yea I don't think this will work as well in a tournament format. I think a leisurely pace is fine. And I think it is fine if it is mixed. We could say that in order to qualify for the E4 (which we would have to find) you have to have a total of 12 badges. Or something over half.

Alchemy

7. No OHKO Moves.

Any other ideas?

I'd favor following the VGC rules closer than Smogons, especially if we're doing this all in game. For in battle rules I'd go:

• Species Clause
  • Item Clause
  • Legendaries/Event Pokemon Banned

Usobuko

Banned

7. No OHKO Moves.

Any other ideas?

fek: Electric
SeZMehK: Fairy
Boogiepop: Rock
macklelol: Ghost/Normal

Those of you with multiple types, try to select one. Please contact the other members with shared types to agree on a type.

Don't play 6v6. Play 3v3, it's better this way. I'll pick Fairy btw, my first choice was ghost though.

Edit: Nvm, which types are left?

Top Bottom