• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT4| Don't Bank On It

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Can challenging leaders use their own team or are they limited to their gym team? Would be cool if they can challenge as a trainer or as a gym leader.

Would our teams be limited to pokemon with that single type? Because I've got one hell of a hail team but it only uses two ice types out of the four. I only ask because there are certain types that don't offer a lot of choice as far as secondary typings go. Like ice is bad, but goddamn is fire worse.

Wichu

I don't think we should have too many rules variations to keep it simple. Maybe let Gym Leaders pick from a couple of rulesets? For example:
Battle Spot singles (3v3, item clause, no sleep clause)
Battle Spot doubles (4v4, item clause, no sleep clause)
Smogon singles (6v6, no item clause, sleep clause)
That way challengers don't need to have too many teams.

We can hold a vote on whether to allow Banked mons (pretty much only affects tutor moves if we're banning legendaries - nobody's going to use Unown anyway).

OceanBlue

Seems that quite a few people don't want Kalos-bred only, so I guess we should allow Bank mons (too bad if you don't own B/W/B2/W2, though I'm sure you could find someone to help you with getting tutor moves etc).

Dark has so many physical attacking Pokemon anyway that it's not a big deal to me lol. If you guys want Kalos-bred Pokemon, I wouldn't object to it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
OK, here are the assignments that are forced given people's choices:

Normal: macklelol
Fighting: Alchemy
Flying: one_kill
Poison:
Ground: Spiritfox
Rock: Boogiepop
Bug:
Ghost: Usobuko
Steel: KiraFA37
Fire: El_Chino
Water: Professor Beef
Grass: PreyingShark
Electric: fek
Psychic: Aggrotek
Ice: B-Dubs
Dragon: Quest1
Dark:
Fairy: SeZMehK

The only unassigned people are myself and JulianImp - since we both want Poison and one other unassigned type, there isn't currently a 'correct' assignment. I suggest waiting for a final leader to choose their preferred type of the three:

Last leader chooses Poison: I go Dark, JulianImp goes Bug
Last leader chooses Bug: I go Dark, JulianImp goes Poison
Last leader chooses Dark: I go Poison, JulianImp goes Bug

EDIT: Gets a bit problematic if that person is OK with both Bug and Dark... In that case, we'll have to settle it with a battle >:D

Actually if neither of you want dark, can I take it instead of ice? Any of the leftovers would be ok. I'd rather not recycle part of my tournament team into this. I'd just rather take something fresh that I have no experience with.

Wichu

Ah, bug then? Or poison?

Including OceanBlue's Dark claim, then Ice is the only free type. You'll have to find someone to swap with (OceanBlue, Ice is free now if you want that over Dark?)

If nobody else wants Ice, then I could probably put together an Ice team - in that case, I'd take Ice, JulianImp would get Poison, and you'd get Bug.

OceanBlue

Including OceanBlue's Dark claim, then Ice is the only free type. You'll have to find someone to swap with (OceanBlue, Ice is free now if you want that over Dark?)

If nobody else wants Ice, then I could probably put together an Ice team - in that case, I'd take Ice, JulianImp would get Poison, and you'd get Bug.

I don't really want Ice. :<

Wichu

Eh it's ok, I'll take it. I'll just get more creative than Abomasnow + Glaceon = win. Which it does by the way.

I love fighting teams that lead with Abomasnow and another Ice-type. It's just a free turn for my Wide Guard user's partner :p

just checked and there are no Poison-types that learn Wide Guard or Quick Guard :(

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That's all I've ever seen Hail teams do in doubles - if I can force them to stop using their most powerful move, then that's already a big advantage :)

People aren't creative enough with hail, there's a lot of room for being clever. It got me to the final rounds of our tournament after all.

OceanBlue

Eh it's ok, I'll take it. I'll just get more creative than Abomasnow + Glaceon = win. Which it does by the way.

Lol, if I were to use Ice, it'd just be for Hail Glaceon. Glaceon is so cute, but I don't particularly want to use any other Pokemon on an Ice team lol.

I prefer Dark because there's a pretty good variety of Pokemon to choose from. Sorry. :(

Muku

Okay guys... I'm in a bit of a pickle here. I was going to clone a few Ditto's today. Before I got online and traded with someone, I was able to see my other 3DS just fine. My character showed up and was lit up and all the normal stuff. I hopped online to give someone something before I started cloning. We had an error while trying to trade but eh it happens from time to time. Got back on and traded no problem.

Now though, when I go offline to connect to my copy of Y... my character on Y will show up in Passerby section but will not be lit up. However, my X character is lit up on my copy of Y. Allows me to send a trade request and all of that fun stuff. But because my 3DS with X in it does not recognize my OG 3DS with Y in it as being on, I never receive it. I'm guessing it's my 3DS XL that is borked now or something? I'm lost and frustrated now.

Wichu

People aren't creative enough with hail, there's a lot of room for being clever. It got me to the final rounds of our tournament after all.
Hmm... I've never really put that much thought into it. If it's as interesting as you make it out to be, I'll be looking forward to challenging your gym :)

Okay guys... I'm in a bit of a pickle here. I was going to clone a few Ditto's today. Before I got online and traded with someone, I was able to see my other 3DS just fine. My character showed up and was lit up and all the normal stuff. I hopped online to give someone something before I started cloning. We had an error while trying to trade but eh it happens from time to time. Got back on and traded no problem.

Now though, when I go offline to connect to my copy of Y... my character on Y will show up in Passerby section but will not be lit up. However, my X character is lit up on my copy of Y. Allows me to send a trade request and all of that fun stuff. But because my 3DS with X in it does not recognize my OG 3DS with Y in it as being on, I never receive it. I'm guessing it's my 3DS XL that is borked now or something? I'm lost and frustrated now.
Have you tried turning them both off and on again? That usually solves computer/electronics problems.

Otherwise, try swapping the cartridges (assuming they're both physical) - that will let you determine whether it's a hardware problem.

It sounds like it's just a minor bug that's easily fixed, though.

Muku

Hmm... I've never really put that much thought into it. If it's as interesting as you make it out to be, I'll be looking forward to challenging your gym :)

Have you tried turning them both off and on again? That usually solves computer/electronics problems.

Otherwise, try swapping the cartridges (assuming they're both physical) - that will let you determine whether it's a hardware problem.

It sounds like it's just a minor bug that's easily fixed, though.

I've turned them both off. I've turned off communications for a bit on both as well. I'll try the swapping to see how that goes in a moment. Thankfully both are physical. (Though I wanted Y as digital but didn't work out quite like that. In some way thankful now.)

Edit: Okay, now that I've swapped them in 3DS's.. no one shows as being on but both show in passerby.

Edit 2: Nevermind. Figured out somehow on X Passerby trades were disabled. Not sure how that happened since I enabled that again while ago (quite a few days ago), plus was able to connect to my other version before getting online. Oo

Usobuko

Banned
Battle Spot singles (3v3, item clause, no sleep clause)

Very simple for my gym. It's more up to chances since a crit/secondary effect/accuracy matters. Just look at these clowns, I'm sure they'll agree to it.

images

images

images

Wichu

Think of it this way: Normal gets Choice Scarf Dark Void Smeargle. :3

That's going to be a pain, but far from unbeatable. A good doubles team should be prepared for Dark Void anyway, e.g. with Wide Guard or Lum Berry.

I think I'll start on my team tomorrow; got to think of a good doubles strategy for Poison. I already have a singles team ready (more or less).

JulianImp

I really need a crash course on doubles team building, though, since from looking at the available bug-types I've been unable to see anything that'd be okay for doubles... I guess Volcarona gets Heat Wave to attack multiple opponents, but after that it looks like none of them have abilities or attacks that work well with each other. D:

Welp, seems like I put myself into a corner... It seems like it'll be impossibly hard to cover my weaknesses, even more so with two pokémon out at a time. It feels like a rock type and a fire type out would probably wreck my whole team, regardless of my party configuration...

So, (mega) Scizor, Heracross, Forretress, Volcarona, Yanmega, Shuckle? >_<

Aggrotek

I really need a crash course on doubles team building, though, since from looking at the available bug-types I've been unable to see anything that'd be okay for doubles... I guess Volcarona gets Heat Wave to attack multiple opponents, but after that it looks like none of them have abilities or attacks that work well with each other. D:

Welp, seems like I put myself into a corner... It seems like it'll be impossibly hard to cover my weaknesses, even more so with two pokémon out at a time. It feels like a rock type and a fire type out would probably wreck my whole team, regardless of my party configuration...

You aren't forced into doing doubles. :p

Wichu

OK, current plan is that Gym Leaders can specify one or more battle formats to accept challenges in. Each Gym Leader has to accept challenges in at least one of:
Battle Spot Singles
Battle Spot Doubles
Smogon Singles
You can accept challenges in other formats too, as long as you offer one of the above standard formats. If you want to do Rotation, Triples, or even Inverse (on Showdown), then go ahead, but make sure you have a standard format too so challengers aren't forced into building for a crazy format if they don't want to.

OceanBlue

That's going to be a pain, but far from unbeatable. A good doubles team should be prepared for Dark Void anyway, e.g. with Wide Guard or Lum Berry.

I think I'll start on my team tomorrow; got to think of a good doubles strategy for Poison. I already have a singles team ready (more or less).
There are a lot more Prankster Pokemon so you could probably dedicate a Pokemon for priority Taunt or Safeguard. I heard Safeguard Meowstic is pretty popular lol.

Wichu

There are a lot more Prankster Pokemon so you could probably dedicate a Pokemon for priority Taunt or Safeguard. I heard Safeguard Meowstic is pretty popular lol.

Oh yeah, forgot about Prankster. Meowstic is (rather surprisingly) one of the better doubles Pokémon; I really want to train one at some point.

JulianImp

Oh, I forgot about that part. I guess it's going to be easier on me, then.

Anyway, I'm now looking for the following HA pokémon, in case anybody has them for trade or on their friend safari: Venipede, Larvesta and Pineco.

spiritfox

Alright, I'll do doubles. More quakes, more fun!

Battle Spot Doubles 4v4, Normal Doubles 6v6.

Btw if you can't catch me online, it's probably because I'm Team Rocketing working. :p

Aggrotek

In the OT for the League we should have all the leaders and such with times to reach them, maybe Skype handles as well?

Alchemy

Oh yeah, forgot about Prankster. Meowstic is (rather surprisingly) one of the better doubles Pokémon; I really want to train one at some point.

Prankster Meowstic and Klefki both have priority Safeguard, which is both useful for shutting down Dark Void and Spore but also setting up offense by allowing you to Swagger your partner.

Battle Spot Singles sounds like the way to go for a Fighting Gym.

JulianImp

I'll probably do either 3v3 or 6v6 singles using battle spot rules.

I honestly thought there'd be more type and moveset variety with 719 pokémon out there, though.
So much salt.

CrimsonN0

My mono-Bug team is MegaHeracross, Scizor, Volcarona, Shuckle, Forrestress, Galvantula.

It wasn't really made for Doubles, but it does okayish in it.
Heres a Doubles and Singles battle of it:
7DMW-WWWW-WWW2-TC7G
6SSG-WWWW-WWW2-LMKN

Well, they were only ones I already had uploaded, I don't really want to go over all the battles I've saved.

I think someone suggested a Prankster Illumise/Volbeat for Rain Dance/Light Screen.

Boogiepop

Rock looks like it has some fun options to look into. Now to decide how I want to build this...

BTW, anyone have any extra Tyranitarite in case I want to go that route? (I'm also looking for the other X exclusive stones, but those aren't really related to the gym leader stuff at all!)

KiraFA37

Done some primary research for my Steel Gym, there are 2-3 strategies that might work... More research is needed especially since it is 4.30AM here and this will be my first serious thought out team.

Any hints in how to deal with fire? Rock turns it into neutral damage but this increases my risk from fighting types, looks like Empoleon is the only viable way.

WonderPup

Does anyone have a HA Swirlix / Slurpuff. I'm looking for one with Unburden. If anyone can help out, that would be awesome. I only have one Fairy safari, and it doesn't have what I'm looking for.

Top Bottom