• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT4| Don't Bank On It

CrimsonN0

It would be a good idea to lock down the challenger's teams, or to allow a limited number of changes, before they challenge the gyms. If they want to overhaul their team, they'll have to start their challenge over.

Yeah, its kinda troublesome.
I'd like the gyms to keep to their type, but still it'd be trouble if the challenger brought all Ground pokemon to fight the Electric Gym, etc.
Mabye lock in 4 Pokemon and allow 2 to be changed out between Gyms.

Muku

Haha, she is a little golden nugget. Should name her Goldie Locks. ;)

So, first time in AGES I've gotten something off of Wonder Trade that is of any interest. Was getting rid of some excessive breeding reject Porygons and got a 5IV Pichu. 31/x/31/31/31/31. Only thing is the nature is Hardy which makes me go "WTF?" Lightning Rod ability which is nice. Thunder Shock/Charm/Encore/Volt Tackle. Wasn't intending to breed any of the line, but might now. One with a nature that actually does something. And preferably male. Dislike female Pikachu/Raichu tails. :(

Edit: Starwolf, oh wow! That's crazy.

Speaking of Hardy I got a 6x31IV Mudkip with that through Wonder Trade. Would not have checked the IVs but it was level 90 with PP Max used on all moves and no EV training.

El_Chino

Hey Guys, noob question: what do they shapes mean on the stats page? For example, if I have 5 out of six filled what does that mean?

Hey Guys, noob question: what do they shapes mean on the stats page? For example, if I have 5 out of six filled what does that mean?
They are called markings generally. Touch them with your styluss and they'll chang. Some people use them for organisational purposes, given there are 6 of them a good example is using them to mark the perfect IVs a Pokemon has. But not all players do this.

The red star and purple slimy face are special though. The former is a shiny Pokemon and the latter means cured of Pokerus but still gets effects.

El_Chino

They are called markings generally. Touch them with your styluss and they'll chang. Some people use them for organisational purposes, given there are 6 of them a good example is using them to mark the perfect IVs a Pokemon has. But not all players do this.

The red star and purple slimy face are special though. The former is a shiny Pokemon and the latter means cured of Pokerus but still gets effects.

They mean whatever, but most people seem to use them to mark 31IV stats.
Oh okay, I just checked it out with the IV judge and got an "outstanding" out of him for a lvl 1 Eevee with 5/6 markings filled.

Edit: Also checked my lvl 91 Kyorge with all markings filled and got an "outstanding" and also two "equally good" comments.

Quest1

So if I'm dragon, can I use the Lati twins? Mega chomp is a given. Dragonite, too. And someone to crush weavile's soul. Can I use gyarados? MegaZardX? Hmm, lots of things to discuss.

I think the challenge should be at the leaders discretion. 6v6 smogon standard or vgc doubles or 6v6 doubles or rotation 6v6 or whatever and that teams should be locked from the beginning. To me it's funner that way and prevents counter picking from being too strong. The leaders are already at a disadvantage for being monotype, so it's only fair for the challengers to be locked in. As for type, I think the gyms have to be monotype. It's part of the fun on our end, to build a mono team that can handle counters. As dragon tamer, I dunno how to beat ice punch though haha.

Just throwing ideas out. However we do this, I'm def in.

Muku

Just found this video on YouTube theorizing that Humans are Pokemon. And you know, after reading Dex entries over the years (they never seem to get less creepy).. that is so disturbing. Especially when we're trying to breed perfect ones.

The link if anyone wants to watch: Game Theory - Humans are Pokemon

teeny

Ugh. I love hunting for shinies but I hate shiny chaining. I have only managed to do it successfully once (love my Shelmet) and the chain always breaks for a stupid reason. I have even had the music change but then the chain breaks and I want to launch my 3DS out of my office window. I have had much better results with every other method, I don't know why I persist.

Another oddity I saw on the PGL battle stats page. Some Pokemon have none in the moves breakdown (as in a player used them with less than 4 moves).

The stat breakdown for each season will become interesting in the long run if some Pokemon have their roles changing. Gothitelle seems to heading more towards support for instance.

Usobuko

Banned
Yay, shiny Furfrou finally appeared! Took about 250 eggs, but I'm happy to have him now. :)

EDIT: AND he's close to perfect in IVs, too, with 31/31/31/xx/31/31. I will treasure this dude.

It needs Sp.Atk? I think it's probably have perfect stats if you are using any - sp.atk nature. Looks pretty good after hair trimming, didn't know it's all black.

L.O.R.D

there are many good moves for Aegislash

King's Shield
Sacred Sword
Swords Dance
Iron Head
Night Slash
Shadow Sneak
Retaliate

i don't know what should i chose

KiraFA37

So if I'm dragon, can I use the Lati twins? Mega chomp is a given. Dragonite, too. And someone to crush weavile's soul. Can I use gyarados? MegaZardX? Hmm, lots of things to discuss.

I think the challenge should be at the leaders discretion. 6v6 smogon standard or vgc doubles or 6v6 doubles or rotation 6v6 or whatever and that teams should be locked from the beginning. To me it's funner that way and prevents counter picking from being too strong. The leaders are already at a disadvantage for being monotype, so it's only fair for the challengers to be locked in. As for type, I think the gyms have to be monotype. It's part of the fun on our end, to build a mono team that can handle counters. As dragon tamer, I dunno how to beat ice punch though haha.

Just throwing ideas out. However we do this, I'm def in.

That would mean I would have in my team Mega Aggron, Registeel, Kling, Klang and KlingKlang. For some types this just ain't viable. If we are using these limitations I would prefer using a certain amount of pokemon with the given type as its primary.I think it might be best to just keep it simple and that you can only use pokemon of your type with 1 exception to balance things.

spiritfox

That would mean I would have in my team Mega Aggron, Registeel, Kling, Klang and KlingKlang. For some types this just ain't viable. If we are using these limitations I would prefer using a certain amount of pokemon with the given type as its primary.I think it might be best to just keep it simple and that you can only use pokemon of your type with 1 exception to balance things.

I think he meant monotype as in Pokemon with that type, not just only that type. Normal will win anything if that's the case, and Flying would be boned.

Quest1

I think he meant monotype as in Pokemon with that type, not just only that type. Normal will win anything if that's the case, and Flying would be boned.

Yeah, monotype as in a team full of pokemon with that type, but they can also have dual types. Example: a dragon gym leader could have latias (dragon psychic), dragalgae (dragon poison) etc. as long as that pkmn has your gym type in it.

Usobuko

Banned
I will just say I am not in favour of locking opponent team because if it hits a roadblock, they might be stuck down there forever. They should always be encouraged to keep trying and/or discover new strats to handle our teams. If not, it's probably a killjoy that only a very small group of people are willing to take up the challenges.

I am also not in favour of gym leaders restricting themselves to just 6 chosen pokemons because it's bit boring to use the same guys over and over again. Especially when you are open to both single and battle format.

Lastly, I am in favour of picking one pokemon that's not within your type as long as it doesn't directly crash with its theme.

That's all.

JulianImp

Vivillon is amazing.

What is it that makes it amazing? I don't know a thing about the newer pokémon yet.

My mono-Bug team is MegaHeracross, Scizor, Volcarona, Shuckle, Forrestress, Galvantula.

It wasn't really made for Doubles, but it does okayish in it.
Heres a Doubles and Singles battle of it:
7DMW-WWWW-WWW2-TC7G
6SSG-WWWW-WWW2-LMKN

Well, they were only ones I already had uploaded, I don't really want to go over all the battles I've saved.

I think someone suggested a Prankster Illumise/Volbeat for Rain Dance/Light Screen.

Thanks for the tips and the videos! I'll definitely take a look at them later.

So there's a prankster rain dancer? That could be a great addition to my team to rain on fire types' parade (rimshot), and possibly combo with Parasect's dry skin ability.

spiritfox

I will just say I am not in favour of locking opponent team because if it hits a roadblock, they might be stuck down there forever. They should always be encouraged to keep trying and/or discover new strats to handle our teams. If not, it's probably a killjoy that only a very small group of people are willing to take up the challenges.

I am also not in favour of gym leaders restricting themselves to just 6 chosen pokemons because it's bit boring to use the same guys over and over again. Especially when you are open to both single and battle format.

Lastly, I am in favour of picking one pokemon that's not within your type as long as it doesn't directly crash with its theme.

That's all.

I think challengers should be able to make changes to their team when needed, but there has to be a limit, lest they just pick the counters to the type they are going against. Make it so that they have a limited number of changes, or must end the challenge with at least half the Pokemon they started with, so that there's still some challenge.

Or people can just challenge leaders whenever with whatever. It'll be cool to just see how long you can last against a team out to take you out. It'll be more welcoming to the more casual players.

And gym leaders should be able to make changes too, but with similar restrictions (only one Pokemon at a time or only once every few weeks). I still prefer strictly monotype, but if there's a demand for it, I don't mind one off-type Pokemon per team or something. But with 718 (minus legends) to choose from, there should be enough to go around.

That's just my thoughts.

What is it that makes it amazing? I don't know a thing about the newer pokémon yet.

Mostly Compound Eyes Sleep Powder and Hurricane. Also, pretty patterns.

SeZMehK

I think challengers should be able to make changes to their team when needed, but there has to be a limit, lest they just pick the counters to the type they are going against. Make it so that they have a limited number of changes, or must end the challenge with at least half the Pokemon they started with, so that there's still some challenge.

Or people can just challenge leaders whenever with whatever. It'll be cool to just see how long you can last against a team out to take you out. It'll be more welcoming to the more casual players.

And gym leaders should be able to make changes too, but with similar restrictions (only one Pokemon at a time or only once every few weeks). I still prefer strictly monotype, but if there's a demand for it, I don't mind one off-type Pokemon per team or something. But with 718 (minus legends) to choose from, there should be enough to go around.

That's just my thoughts.

Mostly Compound Eyes Sleep Powder and Hurricane. Also, pretty patterns.
I'm running the fairy gym. I got the short end of the stick since it is a new type. Lol. I believe I have the least amount of pokemon. XD

Usobuko

Banned

That's just my thoughts.

I think suggestions work hand-in-hand. If the challenger is limited in some ways to change their team, then I'm okay with only using mono-type. That way, if I get severely counter by this particular team, I know for sure it won't be as effective against the other.

If they are free to use what want, then I would have insist on one off-type pokemon. I did some calculations back then with this particular pokemon, I will get sweep. And rather easily.

spiritfox

I'm running the fairy gym. I got the short end of the stick since it is a new type. Lol. I believe I have the least amount of pokemon. XD

Hmm...

MMawile
Sylveon
Togekiss
Azumarill
Whimsicott
Clefable?

Not the best, but it's workable. It has some of my favorite Pokemon too. Well, off-type Pokemon will be good for me too. I kinda want to use TTar, but he loses his Ground typing from evolution.

SeZMehK

Hmm...

MMawile
Sylveon
Togekiss
Azumarill
Whimsicott
Clefable?

Not the best, but it's workable. It has some of my favorite Pokemon too. Well, off-type Pokemon will be good for me too. I kinda want to use TTar, but he loses his Ground typing from evolution.

Flefki and Carbink can do some fun stuff I'm sure, also Mega Gardevoir and Mega Mawile.

You get to use choice-specs Sylveon with Hyper Beam!

I'm aware of what I have at my disposal but I was just saying that I have the least amount of pokemon to choose from. I've got a crap load of ideas for single and doubles teams. :D

CrimsonN0

Hmm...

MMawile
Sylveon
Togekiss
Azumarill
Whimsicott
Clefable?

Yeah. Just sit there using Follow Me with Clefable/Togekiss and boost using Swords Dance/Belly Drum with MegaMawile/Azumarill.
Then have Togekiss Psych Up the Belly Drum and Extreme Speed everthing.

spiritfox

I'm aware of what I have at my disposal but I was just saying that I have the least amount of pokemon to choose from. I've got a crap load of ideas for single and doubles teams. :D

At least you're not weak to Ice. HP Ice on everyone scares the shit out of me.

lupinko

Well I got two Celebis now off Pokebank, my NA X game got a Docile one and the one I got today for my JP Y game got a Bold one, so going 50/50 ain't so bad.

CrimsonN0

Thanks for the tips and the videos! I'll definitely take a look at them later.

So there's a prankster rain dancer? That could be a great addition to my team to rain on fire types' parade (rimshot), and possibly combo with Parasect's dry skin ability.

Yeah, though, those might not be the best videos, but it looks like I didn't save some of my really good battles.

There was one battle I nearly lost because the opponent had both Stealth Rock and 2 layers of Spikes up, so I couldn't really switch any of my pokemon.
However, my Galvantula did manage to get Sticky Web down which allowed my last pokemon, MegaHeracross to destroy the rest of their team - which was pretty much the full team. But that kinda only worked because none his pokemon were Flying or Levitators.

JulianImp

After nearly sixty hatched Scythers, I finally got the nature, IVs and ability I wanted! I'll have to go on an horde-slaying spree later.

Bug team: 1/6 done!

...Well, actually, I still have to find someone who can help me evolve it to a Scizor by trade, but it's a start.

Dandalf

Neo Member
Finally.

Using the Masuda Method with the Shiny Charm tested my patience recently, but after 1,704 eggs, I finally hatched my shiny Noibat.

It's IV's are: 31/31/31/31/31/X. Kinda bummed I didn't get a 31 in Speed since it's one of its notable stats, but I'll take the 31 in Special Attack any day. She also got Infiltrator, which I'll be using an Ability Capsule on to switch to Frisk, but I'll take her at this point with the length this hunt went.

Pic below!

uRa4cnB.jpg

L.O.R.D

about the gym types ?

i was thinking all in attack type

kill or to be killed

so, because i love my pokemon
i chose those

• all the pokemon are shiny

• have hidden ability

• maximum IVs and EVs

1 -Shiny protean geninja
2- Shiny Aegislash
3- Shiny Blaziken
4- Shiny genesect
5- Shiny Excadrill
6- Darkrai

maybe i change Darkrai with a heavy tank type for a surprise like chansey or Bouffalant

Kirlia

Banned
Finally.

Using the Masuda Method with the Shiny Charm tested my patience recently, but after 1,704 eggs, I finally hatched my shiny Noibat.

It's IV's are: 31/31/31/31/31/X. Kinda bummed I didn't get a 31 in Speed since it's one of its notable stats, but I'll take the 31 in Special Attack any day. She also got Infiltrator, which I'll be using an Ability Capsule on to switch to Frisk, but I'll take her at this point with the length this hunt went.

Pic below!

Congratulations! You must have felt euphoric when she finally appeared. But 1,704 eggs...man, I know you used a foreign Pokemon, but that rate is practically a non-MM level...still, glad that the monotonous terror is over. :)

Wichu

about the gym types ?

kill or to be killed

i chose those

• have hidden ability

• maximum IVs and EVs

1 -Shiny protean geninja
2- Shiny Aegislash
3- Shiny Blaziken
4- Shiny genesect
5- Shiny Excadrill
6- Darkrai

maybe i change Darkrai with a heavy tank type for a surprise like chansey or Bouffalant

Keep in mind you won't be able to use all of these under standard rules - Genesect and Darkrai are banned under Battle Spot rules, and Blaziken and Darkrai are banned under Smogon rules.

JulianImp

about the gym types ?

kill or to be killed

i chose those

• have hidden ability

• maximum IVs and EVs

1 -Shiny protean geninja
2- Shiny Aegislash
3- Shiny Blaziken
4- Shiny genesect
5- Shiny Excadrill
6- Darkrai

For a challenger, you could do that, as long as you abide by the leader's rules (ie: dropping Darkrai and Genesect, and other possible changes depending on further restrictions). I'd say a theme such as "I like perfect, powerful, OU/Uber-level shiny pokémon" is somewhat flimsy for a gym, though.

L.O.R.D

Keep in mind you won't be able to use all of these under standard rules - Genesect and Darkrai are banned under Battle Spot rules, and Blaziken and Darkrai are banned under Smogon rules.

Darkrai dropped for Bouffalant
do you have suggest for a Genesect replacement ?

Boogiepop

Okay, catching up on the thread: I'd personally prefer if we stick purely to our types, because that's a lot of the fun/challenge of it. We don't have to be an unbeatable, but I do agree that we still want to be a challenge. Maybe we could consider the "one off-type but on-theme" Pokemon thing for if a certain gym is consistently getting steamrolled and can't solve it within their type? Also, as for people building counter teams: I'm not sure how much of a problem we should expect. I mean, it takes some effort to build a proper counter team (IVs, EVs, choosing attacks, etc), so hopefully it shouldn't be an issue that comes up too often. And I hope we could take the kind of rough attempt of splashing a team of untrained Pokemon we're weak to against us. Also, I guess we should take a vote on Pokemon that Mega-Evolve into types that they otherwise aren't. I don't think there's any problem if they actually Mega-Evolve. And it looks like the ones this applies to are Mega Charizard (X), Mega Pinsir, Mega Gyarados, (Mega Mewtwo X but he's banned anyway), and Mega Ampharos. I dunno, my opinion is that most of those wouldn't make a dent anyway, but at the very least the Dark Gym probably shouldn't be throwing around a Gyarados without Mega evolving it.

Also, I still need a Tyranitarite if anybody has an extra through cloning or whatever. And I realize that we've set things up pretty quick, so maybe to be fair we could stick to Gym Leaders offering normal double battles (with options for other types like Rotation, etc if they want), and then I guess late-comers could double down on the types of people who absolutely don't want to do normal double battles. If everyone agrees to it of course.

JulianImp

Okay, catching up on the thread: I'd personally prefer if we stick purely to our types, because that's a lot of the fun/challenge of it. We don't have to be an unbeatable, but I do agree that we still want to be a challenge. Maybe we could consider the "one off-type but on-theme" Pokemon thing for if a certain gym is consistently getting steamrolled and can't solve it within their type? Also, as for people building counter teams: I'm not sure how much of a problem we should expect. I mean, it takes some effort to build a proper counter team (IVs, EVs, choosing attacks, etc), so hopefully it shouldn't be an issue that comes up too often. And I hope we could take the kind of rough attempt of splashing a team of untrained Pokemon we're weak to against us. Also, I guess we should take a vote on Pokemon that Mega-Evolve into types that they otherwise aren't. I don't think there's any problem if they actually Mega-Evolve. And it looks like the ones this applies to are Mega Charizard (X), Mega Pinsir, Mega Gyarados, (Mega Mewtwo X but he's banned anyway), and Mega Ampharos. I dunno, my opinion is that most of those wouldn't make a dent anyway, but at the very least the Dark Gym probably shouldn't be throwing around a Gyarados without Mega evolving it.

Also, I still need a Tyranitarite if anybody has an extra through cloning or whatever. And I realize that we've set things up pretty quick, so maybe to be fair we could stick to Gym Leaders offering normal double battles (with options for other types like Rotation, etc if they want), and then I guess late-comers could double down on the types of people who absolutely don't want to do normal double battles. If everyone agrees to it of course.

I'd say limiting the challengers' team switches would be for the best, because some types can be countered fairly well without even having to resort to doing some extensive breeding. Say, for my bug-type gym, all it'd take would be a reliable stealth rock user peppered with fire and rock-types, and I'd probably go down with ease.

If we all did doubles, I'd probably have to rethink my team yet again, but I guess I could bear with that. I guess I'll be learning as I go in that case.

By the way, regarding badges, I guess we should make them small in size (say, between 8x8 and 16x16 pixels), so that challengers could attach them to their avatars if they wanted to. I think something like that would be really cool.

L.O.R.D

those pokemon are perfect a champion battle more then a gym battle

I still prefer strictly monotype, but if there's a demand for it, I don't mind one off-type Pokemon per team or something. But with 718 (minus legends) to choose from, there should be enough to go around.
I say let the gym leader use a Pokemon that doesn't have the gym's typing if and only if it's tasteful and fits with the gym's theme.

Boogiepop

I'd say limiting the challengers' team switches would be for the best, because some types can be countered fairly well without even having to resort to doing some extensive breeding. Say, for my bug-type gym, all it'd take would be a reliable stealth rock user peppered with fire and rock-types, and I'd probably go down with ease.

If we all did doubles, I'd probably have to rethink my team yet again, but I guess I could bear with that. I guess I'll be learning as I go in that case.

By the way, regarding badges, I guess we should make them small in size (say, between 8x8 and 16x16 pixels), so that challengers could attach them to their avatars if they wanted to. I think something like that would be really cool.

Definitely agree with the badges. And as for challenger switches, I can see your point, but I also don't think it's right to go full on restrictions on the challengers. Maybe we can somehow deal with this with custom rules where necessary? Like maybe "only one fire and one rock type against the bug gym" in your case? Or maybe the restriction of one of the especially dangerous types, like make the bug gym a "no rock type challenge" or something? I dunno. But yeah, it is unfortunate that Surskit is the only Water/Bug, I see what you mean. Anyone have any preferences on how to solve this fairly?

Top Bottom