• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT4| Don't Bank On It

Wichu

My opinion on badge designs:

As JulianImp says, it would be neat to be able to put your badge collection in your avatar if you wanted to.

The best way to do this would be to have two rows of 9 badges; this allows 11 pixels per badge, which is enough to get some detail in. I've whipped up an example for the Poison gym:
iSR415CddgbZT.png

And here's how a badge collection might look in an avatar (obviously all the badges would be different):
iNgbGDWITXAef.png

I also think we should have larger versions of the badge images for leaders to use; that way it's easy for challengers to see who they can beat for a badge (and increases awareness). Would the leaders mind sporting their badge in their avatar, at least for a week or two?

Boogiepop

As JulianImp says, it would be neat to be able to put your badge collection in your avatar if you wanted to.

The best way to do this would be to have two rows of 9 badges; this allows 11 pixels per badge, which is enough to get some detail in. I've whipped up an example for the Poison gym:
iSR415CddgbZT.png

And here's how a badge collection might look in an avatar (obviously all the badges would be different):
iNgbGDWITXAef.png

I also think we should have larger versions of the badge images for leaders to use; that way it's easy for challengers to see who they can beat for a badge (and increases awareness). Would the leaders mind sporting their badge in their avatar, at least for a week or two?
Yeah, that sounds great to me!

Wichu

Also, I'm willing to make the badge sprites (both sizes). If any of the leaders have an idea for their badge, PM me so I can make the sprite.

Design-wise, we need to keep them simple so they're recognisable at a small size; I suggest styling them similarly to the Kanto badges (blocks of colour without the outlines used in newer badges).

SeZMehK

iSR415CddgbZT.png

iNgbGDWITXAef.png

I wouldn't mind at all. :D I was planning on changing my avatar for a while now. Time to get one with space!

Also, I'm willing to make the badge sprites (both sizes). If any of the leaders have an idea for their badge, PM me so I can make the sprite.

Design-wise, we need to keep them simple so they're recognisable at a small size; I suggest styling them similarly to the Kanto badges (blocks of colour without the outlines used in newer badges).
I would need to make use of your services since I suck at drawing/photoshop/sprites, etc. Lol.

Edit: AND DAMMIT. Stupid shiny espurr isn't hatching! I need it to hatch before I can work on my fairy team. Once I have my shiny espurr, I will work my team. Then I will work on a shiny version of them. So much damn work... lol

JulianImp

iSR415CddgbZT.png

iNgbGDWITXAef.png

Looks great! For leaders, we could use 22x22 or 33x33 px badges. I'll start brainstorming ideas, but I guess using a spiderweb for my gym could work (and hasn't been done in the games so far, right?).

Regarding prize pokémon, I could probably breed some 5IV 'mons from my team with god Ditto again so I can give out a random egg to people who beat me.

Also, regarding bug types, how would we handle stuff that drops your gym's type after evolving, such as Drapion? (you traitorous scorpion!)

Also, regarding bug types, how would we handle stuff that drops your gym's type after evolving, such as Drapion? (you traitorous scorpion!)
To me that's pretty much the definition of "if it's tasteful and fits with the gym's theme". Situations like that should really be allowed.

JackHerer

So a code was just released for the Datel Power Saves device that gives you a Diancie wonder card. When you pick it up it triggers a little cutscene as well. I'm gonna check if it's banned on wifi.

Edit: As expected it is banned on battle spot. Untradeable over wifi as well :( The existence of the wonder card means that it should be officially released soonish I guess.

Edit2: Like other hacked unobtainables you can battle with Diancie over wifi just not through matchmaking.

Boogiepop

Being the Rock type leader also caused me to notice that though we are completely lacking a Rock/Ghost Pokemon, for some reason both the Dark/Ghost Pokemon have Rock elements (Sableye eats gems/has an overall gem theme, Spiritomb has the Odd Keystone thing going on). We better actually get one next Gen!

KiraFA37

When is the Pokébank trial over?

I have my money ready and was going to wait it out until the last day.

Just buy the additional year, it gets added to the trail time.

I also noticed I already have 2 pokemon perfect (abilities and egg moves) for my gym, gotten them through wonder trade.

So, UltimateIke mentioned the idea of a gym challenge in the tournament thread...

I didn't even get invited to join. ;~;

We were trying to set this up in the PokeGAF IRC a few months ago, but we never really got anywhere with it, so I guess it is for the best if you guys actually go through with it.

I have a fire team mostly built, but it looks like it won't be needed. :(

Alchemy

iSR415CddgbZT.png

iNgbGDWITXAef.png

I'm down, sounds cool. Running the Fighting Gym, the badge definitely needs to be based off the Pride FC logo.

Just buy the additional year, it gets added to the trail time.

I also noticed I already have 2 pokemon perfect (abilities and egg moves) for my gym, gotten them through wonder trade.
Oh, okay! Thanks.

Last day to begin the free trial is March 14th.
Thanks, dude!

Man, I really haven't played this game in a while. u_u I remember saying so a while ago but Dangan Ronpa as well as me getting slowly back into Animal Crossing took me away. But, I am still determined to finish my living dex: I'll get to that after taking care of Dangan Ronpa at least.

Boogiepop

Can I be the flying type leader? How much time do I have to make my teams?

I didn't even get invited to join. ;~;

We were trying to set this up in the PokeGAF IRC a few months ago, but we never really got anywhere with it, so I guess it is for the best if you guys actually go through with it.

I have a fire team mostly built, but I it looks like it won't be needed. :(

Sorry, it kind of spiraled. However, like I mentioned earlier, it looks like while the majority wants to do doubles, some want to do singles. So we could still potentially slot people in by doubling down on doubles and singles where applicable.

I guess could everybody sound off on what gym type they currently are in charge of and what type of battles they were planning on doing (if you want to run more than one type personally and think you can handle it, that's cool too). We should probably collect everybody's data so we can start getting organized.

Also, if anybody wants to sound off on the potential issue of counter-teams, that could be good.

To start us off, I've got Rock type, and I plan on plain doubles right now.

Edit: In terms of badges, I was thinking of names/shapes that haven't been used. The best I've got right now is "Ancient Badge," and a shape like, say a pile of stones, in the rough shape of Gigalith (like, three rocks in a pyramid shape or something). I'll keep thinking on it, though.

Alchemy

Sorry, it kind of spiraled. However, like I mentioned earlier, it looks like while the majority wants to do doubles, some want to do singles. So we could still potentially slot people in by doubling down on doubles and singles where applicable.

I guess could everybody sound off on what gym type they currently are in charge of and what type of battles they were planning on doing (if you want to run more than one type personally and think you can handle it, that's cool too). We should probably collect everybody's data so we can start getting organized.

Also, if anybody wants to sound off on the potential issue of counter-teams, that could be good.

To start us off, I've got Rock type, and I plan on plain doubles right now.

Fighting Type, planning on Battlespot Singles.

Boogiepop

Instead of posting randomly in the thread I think it might be better if we make some sort of document, I've taken the liberty to create a google doc.

Good idea.

Also, I think the best solution to the "counter team" problem would probably be to have a rule that challengers can only bring one of each weakness type to the gym battle (IE against my rock gym someone could bring a Ground, Steel, Water, Grass, and Fighting type, but not double down on any of the types). And then if gym leaders welcome the challenge of someone throwing that type of team at them they can choose to waive the rule for their gym. Does that work for everyone?

Alchemy

Good idea.

Also, I think the best solution to the "counter team" problem would probably be to have a rule that challengers can only bring one of each weakness type to the gym battle (IE against my rock gym someone could bring a Ground, Steel, Water, Grass, and Fighting type, but not double down on any of the types). And then if gym leaders welcome the challenge of someone throwing that type of team at them they can choose to waive the rule for their gym. Does that work for everyone?

I'm good with anything, I've been working on my team trying to cover its weaknesses, so I'm game to play against people who just want to bring six flying, psychic, and fairies.

JulianImp

Being the Rock type leader also caused me to notice that though we are completely lacking a Rock/Ghost Pokemon, for some reason both the Dark/Ghost Pokemon have Rock elements (Sableye eats gems/has an overall gem theme, Spiritomb has the Odd Keystone thing going on). We better actually get one next Gen!

I liked that we got a part-grass types this gen, but then I realized we got two of them. They're both cool, but I would've liked to see more diversity.

Talking about mono-ghost teams, I played through Black 2 with a mono-ghost team, and even got the special medal the game gives you for clearing the E4 with a monotype team (I really wish they would've kept those medals for X and Y).

I'm warming up to the idea of doing doubles with battle spot rules (except with all six pokémon, if that's possibe). After thinking about it for a while and double-checking to make sure that it hadn't been done in the game yet, I've settled on the web badge, using a spider web design, since it's both simple and iconic.

Edit: I'm also considering changing my character's look to play the part of a bug-type leader better, but I really wish male clothing options were more varied right now... I want my shorts, not those horrible cargo pants, dammit! D:

SeZMehK

I liked that we got a part-grass types this gen, but then I realized we got two of them. They're both cool, but I would've liked to see more diversity.

Talking about mono-ghost teams, I played through Black 2 with a mono-ghost team, and even got the special medal the game gives you for clearing the E4 with a monotype team (I really wish they would've kept those medals for X and Y).

I'm warming up to the idea of doing doubles with battle spot rules (except with all six pokémon, if that's possibe). After thinking about it for a while and double-checking to make sure that it hadn't been done in the game yet, I've settled on the web badge, using a spider web design, since it's both simple and iconic.

Edit: I'm also considering changing my character's look to play the part of a bug-type leader better, but I really wish male clothing options were more varied right now... I want my shorts, not those horrible cargo pants, dammit! D:

I added my info. I was planning on doing that too. How can I get my male character to be more of a fairy theme... Stupid male options lol.

KiraFA37

Okay, something strange happened: I imported a huge power Marill into my new save from pokebank, the Marill is Kalos bred and had 5 perfect IVs. After a couple of battles I noticed it had thick fat. Okay I got the wrong one, so I get another one. Now after a couple of battles and levels this Marill also has thick fat instead of huge power. Did somebody else had the same issue? I'm scared of bringing over my last huge power Marill.

JulianImp

I added my info. I was planning on doing that too. How can I get my male character to be more of a fairy theme... Stupid male options lol.

I dream of TPC adding new clothes through game patches... I think male trainers got severely shafted:
  • Hats: Baseball cap, fedora, a hat like the one used by the Gen IV female protagonist and the hat you begin the game with.
  • Shirts: Short-sleeve T-shirt, V-neck T-shirt, hoodie, shirt with t-shirt underneath, jacket
  • Pants: 3/4 pants and regular pants (jeans, striped, and plain)
  • Socks: One model, five or so colors (you don't even see them unless you're wearing 3/4 pants and sneakers or loafer shoes
  • Shoes: Sneakers, boots
  • Bags: One model, five colors
  • Hat accesories: Glasses, pins (same shape, different color), two colored feathers

Female trainers, on the other hand, get two bag models, more hat shapes and accesories, two extra haircut styles, several different sock models, lots of legwear... ugh, it isn't even fair.

SeZMehK

Okay, something strange happened: I imported a huge power Marill into my new save from pokebank, the Marill is Kalos bred and had 5 perfect IVs. After a couple of battles I noticed it had thick fat. Okay I got the wrong one, so I get another one. Now after a couple of battles and levels this Marill also has thick fat instead of huge power. Did somebody else had the same issue? I'm scared of bringing over my last huge power Marill.

Are you positive they were huge power? >.<

Ultimadrago

Is that shiny Clauncher for me to keep? Thanks.

I can send you the other EV reducing berries if you need. You should plant them and grow many for yourself.

No problem. And yeah, planting them sounds like a good idea. I'll accept if you don't mind. Do I plant them just like normal berries to get more?

Wichu

I think having two Leaders for each type could work, with each taking different formats. It also makes it easier to find someone to challenge that's available at the same time as you (assuming the leaders are in different time zones) - I added an availability column to the spreadsheet (I suggest using GMT so each person only needs to do one timezone conversion).

Also it opens up the possibility of Multi Battle gyms ;)

How is this gym challenge stuff going to work? Is it open to those not as competitively versed? I mean, I don't have much competitive battling experience, but it'd be kinda cool to challenge the GAF League!

I'm assuming leaders stick to their type only? This should be interesting.

SeZMehK

I remember seeing a similar league at pokebeach I believe. I was interested but didn't bother to participate since I didn't want to join just for the league. I love GAF so I would love to compete here. :D I also added my time frame. I worked from 9a-5p est M-F so I am busy during those times. I can go online when I am at work but it is only during my down time or my lunch break. I'm free on weekends.

Wichu

How is this gym challenge stuff going to work? Is it open to those not as competitively versed? I mean, I don't have much competitive battling experience, but it'd be kinda cool to challenge the GAF League!

All the Gym Leaders will be using competitively-trained teams, so it'll be difficult if you're not. PokéGAF's really helpful if you need advice on breeding/training/strategy.

Gym Leaders will generally only use their type (possibly with a couple of on-theme exceptions, such as Drapion in the Bug Gym or Gyarados in the Dragon Gym). Since you know roughly what you'll be up against for each opponent, it should be a bit easier than an ordinary tournament.

JulianImp

How is this gym challenge stuff going to work? Is it open to those not as competitively versed?
You'll be able to challenge us gym leaders using whichever team you choose, even though we're still debating whether we'll have some restrictions in place to make sure people can't, say, bring a team with six water pokémon on it to the fire gym.

This reminds me, we should probably do as in Pokémon Origins, and have some not-so-competitive teams in place for less experienced players. It'll probably take us longer to raise, but at least we won't be mass-hatching for perfect IVs, HAs and all that. It'd be the perfect place for me to use my shiny Venomoth in (<3) without it being ridiculed by way stronger pokémon.

Yeah, we're all monotype, or themed stuff, such as my bug-type gym possibly having bug-type Skorupi's evolution, Drapion, in my team, despite it dropping the bug type once it evolves. We'll all have to get creative with ways to waltz around our glaring type disadvantages, so it's going to be fun for us as well. :D

Team update: Nearly got my second team member, Larvesta, ready! My latest 4IV parent is being ravaged by god ditto as we speak, at least until I get a 31/xx/31/31/31/31 IV spread. Is it me, or does the Everstone also lock a pokémon's ability? I think all the scythers I've hatched previously have technician.

All the Gym Leaders will be using competitively-trained teams, so it'll be difficult if you're not. PokéGAF's really helpful if you need advice on breeding/training/strategy.

Gym Leaders will generally only use their type (possibly with a couple of on-theme exceptions, such as Drapion in the Bug Gym or Gyarados in the Dragon Gym). Since you know roughly what you'll be up against for each opponent, it should be a bit easier than an ordinary tournament.
I see... Well, in that case, I should get on finishing up the game, and breeding/forming a team!

I just had the thought that an Eeveelution gym would be really cool! Though I imagine it could be a bit odd to pull off. >_>

Top Bottom