• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT4| Don't Bank On It

one_kill

I've gotten some pokes with really good IVs from Wonder Trade. As I'm still new to competitive battlings, I was hoping you guys could judge their viability for me.

pokemon

Also, does anyone have an HA Chimchar?
They seem good

If you don't get one by tomorrow, I'll breed you an HA Chimchar

Edit: Happy Birthday btw! Are you looking for any Pokemon Gen I to Gen V? Shinies? Legendaries? I'll give you one since it's your bday!

Korosenai

Mackelol, I have you Carbink ready, but i'm playing Bravely Default (i'm about to beat it). So if I don't get time to trade tonight, i'll be free tomorrow to give it back to you.

Sadly, I don't. Used them up to finish my National and living Dex. If you Super Train one of your Pokemon though through all the crap in the super training stuff, you'll get to point you unlock additional training that is great for getting more stones. If you unlock An Opening of Lightning-Quick Attacks!, that's the one that yields shiny stones. It's RNG based though so it could take you a great many play throughs to get it. Ugh.

Still need the ability capsule? I actually do have an extra Phione that I could attach it to.

Okay, thanks for the advice! And yes that Phione would be great! Are you able to trade now?

Muku

Okay, thanks for the advice! And yes that Phione would be great! Are you able to trade now?

Sure. On for a few mins before I jump into Xenoblade for a bit.

Edit: IGN is Muku

You're most welcome. :) Thank you for shiny Weepinbell!! I saw it coming over and I was like "That looks a lot paler than I remember." Haha! :D

ReiGun

They seem good

If you don't get one by tomorrow, I'll breed you an HA Chimchar

Edit: Happy Birthday btw! Are you looking for any Pokemon Gen I to Gen V? Shinies? Legendaries? I'll give you one since it's your bday!

Thanks! A Shiny Piplup would be cool if you could. :)

Frost_Ace

Ah, all right! Glad I checked this thread; I was thinking no one wanted a Spritzee. I don't believe I have you on my 3DS; my IGN is Aimee and my FC is in my profile. I'll add you later and we can trade tomorrow evening, okay?
Can I have one too?

LaNaranja

Hey dudes I haven't posted here in a while but I wanted to give you guys a heads up that the Giant Bomb forum is having a little tournament and you are all more than welcome to join. The skill level of people is pretty well mixed so by all means don't be discouraged from joining. For example, I am just using a team of Pokemon I like (that aren't necessarily good) including a Delphox and a Pikachu so you should be fine with whatever team you put together. The rules are pretty flexible, the people there are pretty cool and no one really exploits any OP stuff although there is no actual rule against it.

http://www.giantbomb.com/pokemon-xy/3030-41088/forums/pokemon-league-season-5-sign-up-now-1473766/#11

If you want to see some of the matches and get a feel for the play style of the duders over there from our last tournament just go through this thread and watch some of replay codes posted.

Forkball

Thinking about doing all all-bug run on Pokemon Y. Could I transfer some level 1 bug Pokemon into a new game from the start? Has anyone done a run like this before? I think it sounds interesting but it may get boring after a while.

Thinking about doing all all-bug run on Pokemon Y. Could I transfer some level 1 bug Pokemon into a new game from the start? Has anyone done a run like this before? I think it sounds interesting but it may get boring after a while.

Yeah, in fact, Pokemon Bank makes it quite easy. Instead of being limited in funds and PokeBalls at the beginning of the game, hatch all the Pokemon you want and put them online. Start your new game and transfer them back to your boxes. No catching/trading with others required. There are catches to this process. You lose your Game Sync ID for the PGL, any and all items are lost (they can't be stored in bank) and you probably lose Friend Safari information. There may be more drawbacks than I can think of here.

Muku

Trying to help folks out, bypassers and all, on GTS, but I'll be damned if GameFreak didn't make this the most frustrating thing ever. If other person didn't plan ahead and name Pokemon with questions of Pokemon they're looking for, they're SOL. I'm not trading good Pokemon for shit Pokemon and I'd love to give a frown like before. I know it won't get fixed for this, but man... really hope they get their act together and get a decent online system together to communicate with other person. Still don't see how we moved backwards.

Forkball

Japanese guy just challenged me on PSS.

His team is Xernas, Darkrai, Cressalia, Groudon, Kyogre, and Manaphy.

He. Got. WRECKED. Venusaur sweeped his entire team. GET GIGA DRAINED.

one_kill

He doesn't know how to play lol

But, apart from the glaring weakness to ice and grass, his team taken at face value isn't bad.

Frost_Ace

I beat one of these guys too, with Bisharp.

Sword Dance + Sucker Punch is god tier against noobs.

RoySFNR

After checking out Global Link, I was shocked...

Bh-JkpnIUAA8k_3.jpg

I guess my country doesn't like Pokemon at all.

Wichu

After checking out Global Link, I was shocked...

Bh-JkpnIUAA8k_3.jpg

I guess my country doesn't like Pokemon at all.

It's interesting how the top couple of hundred players are all Japanese. I scrolled through quite a few pages of the global rankings without seeing a single non-JPN player.

So I did an experiment with Dark Void Smeargles. Asked for Doublade. Why that? Well it is not found in the wild but is still popular so I wanted to see what I would get. The results:
-A level 61 Kalos Champion
-A level 81 one with false swipe, you can guess its former life (maybe the owner discovered catching power level 3+quick balls)
^These two were what I expected, basically spring cleaning. The rest were a surprise that should not have been one:
-4 level 30-ish Doublade, 2 with lucky eggs, 2 rare candied up to the required level (all had very few EVs suggest few/no battles to reach these goals).
In other words these people saw my offer and scrambled to get a Doublade ASAP, the lucky egg ones did not even take the time to open the menu and remove the item; that is how quickly they felt the offer would vanish (I can't get a good finger on when the offers actually vanished, unless the PGL GTS timeline says when the offer happened and not when I logged in...) but if this kind of offer did vanish that quickly lucky egg is not a fast enough method anyway...

It also makes me wonder if there are now a group of people stuck with Doublades they don't really want now...
Next time maybe I should ask for level 91+ Honedge and get trolled by receiving level 100s who I can then throw terrible TMs onto and wonder trade.

Got a shiny Elekid. Problem is, I was just randomly breeding for GTS trades, so no everstone, no destiny knot, no luxury ball, just a few egg moves and it's pretty hard to notice it's a shiny too.
I know what it is to get a shiny when randomly breeding too. Mine was a 1IV, non-HA Volbeat (if it had the HA; Prankster it could have some novelty, the Shiny is easy to notice too) to get Scyther Baton pass and IVs (Meinifoo was my best IVs), ah pre-Ditto safari and pre-God Ditto breeding.

I've gotten some pokes with really good IVs from Wonder Trade. As I'm still new to competitive battlings, I was hoping you guys could judge their viability for me.

Spiritomb w/ Pressure
Calm
31/31/31/31/31/xx
Moves: Pursuit, Confuse Ray, Spite, Shadow Sneak
*shrugs* Not familiar with Spiritomb, its low HP makes it hard to play. Having a glance at its egg moves it gets pain split as one and as for ability, the hidden one infiltrator is used a lot more (will-o-wisp is a fairly common use so being able to hit through sub helps).

Fletchling w/ Gale Wings
Adamant
31/31/31/xx/31/31
Moves: Tackle, Growl
Talonflame is very good, IVs are spot on. Only flaw with this one is lack of egg moves. Tailwind (egg move) can be handy for when you know your Talonflame is finished (double speed for your side for 4 turns) and quick guard can be good in doubles (more situational). Talonflame generally plays Brave Bird, Flare Blitz and then the other two slots are debatable, roost can work surprisingly well (priority recover and lose flying type for that turn) and people also do things like U-turn, taunt, will-o-wisp and more (guess it is what your team needs).

Accelgor w/ Sticky Hold
Timid
xx/31/31/31/31/31
Moves: Pursuit, Guard Split, Power Swap, Final Gambit
Imperfect HP IVs and Final Gambit is not ideal (move does damage=HP) as I understand it is standard but I'm not sure.

Inkay w/ Contrary
Jolly
31/31/31/xx/31/31
Moves: Psycho Cut, Slash, Night Slash, Superpower
There is usually a Jolly vs. Adamant question for physical attackers.That moveset is just the last 4 level up moves, Slash should be replaced with something else (it gets lots of good support options). 4x Bug weakness is not fun with U-turn being quite the common thing though.

Swinub w/ Thick Fat
Adamant
31/31/31/xx/31/xx
Moves: Freeze-Dry, Icicle Crash, Icicle Spear, Stealth Rock
What I said for Inkay applies here too. Freeze-Dry feels like egg move filler or gimmick surprise (Mamoswine is physical). Stealth Rock has less use outside of 6v6 singles as shorter matches mean less switching, it is good egg move filler but probably not something to bring to battle.
Comments in bold. I'm terrible at competitive battling though (I'm okay at individual sets but fall apart in making an effective team). For reference the PGL battle stats site is good to see what others do (process the information though as you see many Pokemon don't have a consensus on moveset*) but doing the same thing can be boring to play as or against.

*-the total is 400% for moves. Some moves are clearly options with the same purpose (e.g. Rock slide vs. Stone Edge), others not so...

RedShift

I got Y about a week ago, been slowly doing a blind nuzlocke run.

This game is too good. Just got the badge from the Electric gym, now I'm off to explore a haunted house or something.

Wichu

Comments in bold. I'm terrible at competitive battling though (I'm okay at individual sets but fall apart in making an effective team). For reference the PGL battle stats site is good to see what others do (process the information though as you see many Pokemon don't have a consensus on moveset*) but doing the same thing can be boring to play as or against.

Talonflame learns Tailwind by level up as well, so not having egg moves isn't a big loss.

RoySFNR

It's interesting how the top couple of hundred players are all Japanese. I scrolled through quite a few pages of the global rankings without seeing a single non-JPN player.

They do have some amazing tactics whenever I encounter them. I found a way to play around all of the top used Pokemon but most of those highly ranked players don't even use them. Yesterday, I fought a dude with a rating with the 1800's who used Ferrothorn, Mega Heracross and Chandelure. He would be rated second on the American leaderboards and he doesn't even use any of the 'OP' Pokemon.

rawk

I apologize if this has been asked a million times. I want to start a new Pokémon game soon, but at this point I'm wondering if I should just wait for Pokémon Z, assuming it exists. Anyone has a guess as to whether a third version will come out, and if so, when?

Harpuia

Does anyone have an adamant anything with synchronize? I've tried for weeks now on my off time and I've yet to find something.

Also an Arceus and a Cresselia. In exchange, I have a Darkrai and can part with my one of a million Regigigas'.

Wichu

I apologize if this has been asked a million times. I want to start a new Pokémon game soon, but at this point I'm wondering if I should just wait for Pokémon Z, assuming it exists. Anyone has a guess as to whether a third version will come out, and if so, when?

The next Pokémon game won't be out for at least a year.

Korosenai

Finally got around to getting my Pokebank Celebi and its adamant, lol. What kind of legendaries can I get off gts for Celebi? If I cant get anything good im just going to wonder trade it.

Dandalf

Neo Member
I've hatched two shinies lately - a shiny Noibat on the 1,707th egg, and a shiny Inkay on the 69th egg.

I've moved on to hatching Protean Froakies, and am trying to hatch a 6 IV Protean female. I have a 6 IV Protean male in the day care now with my RNG'd, Japanese 6 IV Ditto, but no 6 IV female Protean Froakie yet.

That's after 625 eggs.

Frustrating to get maybe one female every ten eggs and a little over half the time be Protean. Then I get excited it's THE female, check the stats and see that she's missing one 31 IV.

I'd love a shiny Froakie to hatch with Protean as its ability, and as of now I'm hatching Proteans at about a 60% rate, but I'd love to not stress as much because I've hatched a 6 IV female Protean Froakie.

I hate being a perfectionist.

fek

Finally got around to getting my Pokebank Celebi and its adamant, lol. What kind of legendaries can I get off gts for Celebi? If I cant get anything good im just going to wonder trade it.
I'm interested in any kind of pokebank Celebi, which legendary are you looking for?

Wichu

There is none. Unless you enjoy online play, there's pretty much nothing to do.

That's a bit of an exaggeration. You have the Battle Maison, searching for the Mega Stones, a couple of legendaries, the Looker side-story... But yeah, X/Y's postgame isn't great by Pokémon standards. There's only one new location that opens up in the postgame, unlike past games that had several.

X/Y's postgame is about the same as (the original) Red/Blue/Yellow and Ruby/Sapphire's.

I've hatched two shinies lately - a shiny Noibat on the 1,707th egg, and a shiny Inkay on the 69th egg.

I've moved on to hatching Protean Froakies, and am trying to hatch a 6 IV Protean female. I have a 6 IV Protean male in the day care now with my RNG'd, Japanese 6 IV Ditto, but no 6 IV female Protean Froakie yet.

That's after 625 eggs.

Frustrating to get maybe one female every ten eggs and a little over half the time be Protean. Then I get excited it's THE female, check the stats and see that she's missing one 31 IV.

I'd love a shiny Froakie to hatch with Protean as its ability, and as of now I'm hatching Proteans at about a 60% rate, but I'd love to not stress as much because I've hatched a 6 IV female Protean Froakie.

I hate being a perfectionist.

Congrats on the shiny Pokemon! That's dedication.

I'd say you're getting a pretty high hatch rate for a male Protean. But this is exactly why we need GenderCapsules in Z.

Boogiepop

That's a bit of an exaggeration. You have the Battle Maison, searching for the Mega Stones, a couple of legendaries, the Looker side-story... But yeah, X/Y's postgame isn't great by Pokémon standards. There's only one new location that opens up in the postgame, unlike past games that had several.

X/Y's postgame is about the same as (the original) Red/Blue/Yellow and Ruby/Sapphire's.

In Ruby and Sapphire the legendaries at least felt decently hidden so you could be hunting down Rayquaza and the Regis in the post-game. But yeah, X/Y postgame is seriously barren. I figure that's why getting the mega-stones is so obtuse, just to buff it up a bit.

Also, why are so many people expecting a Z version when B2/W2 happened? I'd be surprised if we regressed back to the old "third version" system, considering those have been getting progressively more content rich each gen.

rawk

In Ruby and Sapphire the legendaries at least felt decently hidden so you could be hunting down Rayquaza and the Regis in the post-game. But yeah, X/Y postgame is seriously barren. I figure that's why getting the mega-stones is so obtuse, just to buff it up a bit.

Also, why are so many people expecting a Z version when B2/W2 happened? I'd be surprised if we regressed back to the old "third version" system, considering those have been getting progressively more content rich each gen.

I think it's probably because Z sounds like a cool title. I was always dubious about them putting about a game called "Gray" because it sounds so drab.

Then again, two games would make them more money. Maybe it'll be Z Red and Z Blue or something.

That's a bit of an exaggeration. You have the Battle Maison, searching for the Mega Stones, a couple of legendaries, the Looker side-story... But yeah, X/Y's postgame isn't great by Pokémon standards. There's only one new location that opens up in the postgame, unlike past games that had several..

Then there's the Friend Safari. Completing a living National Dex was my post-game.

I don't know that people actually expect one "Z" instead of "X2/Y2", for me it's just easier to say than "in the next Pokemon game(s) this generation or next."

Top Bottom