• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT4| Don't Bank On It

Sleepwalker

I feel like I'm taking advantage of you with all these trades, but I'll gladly accept both Hotsuma and perfect Ditto! I'm taking very good care of Piplup too. Carefully EV Training.

Now... whats the problem with pokerus and ev training?
And how the hell you got a perfect shiny giratina!? lol

Your friend safari has Pupitar and dwebble, amazing for attack EV training, if you ever need one i'll catch one for ya since larvitar/pupitar are not available in X.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Oh wow, I was just breeding and I got a shiny Scyther. It has Swarm instead of Technician and its Special Defense is only 28-29, though. Will the couple points make a huge difference in competitive battling? It sucks that I'll have to grind at the Battle Maison to change its ability, though.

v1perz53

Oh wow, I was just breeding and I got a shiny Scyther. It has Swarm instead of Technician and its Special Defense is only 28-29, though. Will the couple points make a huge difference in competitive battling? It sucks that I'll have to grind at the Battle Maison to change its ability, though.

Each point increase in IV gives one extra point in a stat at level 100, so a difference of, say 200 S. Def at 31 IV vs 198 S. Def at 29 IV, so not that big of a deal at all. Even less of a difference at level 50. But if you ever get hit for just over half HP from a special attack so you get 2 shot instead of 3 shot you can blame that IV!

Also, just bred a ferrothorn with stealth rocks and spikes, god that was annoying. If anyone wants the rejects for the egg moves, I will have extras tomorrow. Wonder why bulbapedia doesn't list stealth rocks as an egg move for ferrothorn, worked perfectly fine for me.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Each point increase in IV gives one extra point in a stat at level 100, so a difference of, say 200 S. Def at 31 IV vs 198 S. Def at 29 IV, so not that big of a deal at all. Even less of a difference at level 50. But if you ever get hit for just over half HP from a special attack so you get 2 shot instead of 3 shot you can blame that IV!

Also, just bred a ferrothorn with stealth rocks and spikes, god that was annoying. If anyone wants the rejects for the egg moves, I will have extras tomorrow. Wonder why bulbapedia doesn't list stealth rocks as an egg move for ferrothorn, worked perfectly fine for me.

Well, that doesn't seem too bad. I'll definitely be using it to battle, then. Getting an Ability Capsule is going to take a long time, though. :/

Also, Serebii is probably a better resource than Bulbapedia for egg moves and such.

macklelol

Well, that doesn't seem too bad. I'll definitely be using it to battle, then. Getting an Ability Capsule is going to take a long time, though. :/

Also, Serebii is probably a better resource than Bulbapedia for egg moves and such.

If you need an Ability Capsule, I can get you one. Just jump online and I'll send one your way.

Muku

Awesome, glad to see you get an Ability Capsule. Was going to say I have extas when I get back in but problem solved. It is the one item I clone a lot for a healthy stock.

Awesome, glad to see you get an Ability Capsule. Was going to say I have extas when I get back in but problem solved. It is the one item I clone a lot for a healthy stock.

When you send a Ditto to someone, do you include a Destiny Knot? I would have so many more Ability Capsules of I cloned it instead.

Muku

When you send a Ditto to someone, do you include a Destiny Knot? I would have so many more Ability Capsules of I cloned it instead.

For a while, I did. Then I said screw that and attached an Ability Capsule. Stocked up on a bunch for a while, but have close to 30 now so just leave that one on the Ditto and clone capsules when I clone it.

Finally gave myself a reason to use my JP 3DS. Picked up Pokemon X for it. What can I say.. round 3 here I come. Still trying to figure out region I should set it too, for Vivillon goodness. Gotta transfer my breeding reject team to it to steamroll it.

one_kill, whenever you get a ENG 6IV Ditto, let me know! :D Won't be breeding quite yet in it, but soon.

If you guys don't mind, I can generate 6IV Dittos like there is no tomorrow. Not this weekend though since I'm not at home and don't have my Black 2 copy around.

one_kill

For a while, I did. Then I said screw that and attached an Ability Capsule. Stocked up on a bunch for a while, but have close to 30 now so just leave that one on the Ditto and clone capsules when I clone it.

Finally gave myself a reason to use my JP 3DS. Picked up Pokemon X for it. What can I say.. round 3 here I come. Still trying to figure out region I should set it too, for Vivillon goodness. Gotta transfer my breeding reject team to it to steamroll it.

one_kill, whenever you get a ENG 6IV Ditto, let me know! :D Won't be breeding quite yet in it, but soon.
Ah yeah, tomorrow Muku
sorry T_T

I've been working and haven't had the time and energy to play Pokemon

What's a good movepool for MScizor? Is Bullet Punch/Pursuit/X-Scissor/Swords Dance good? Should I put Wing Attack somewhere?
These things always depend on mode you are playing but Sizor has a lot of options, especially its mega form. Some people like to keep the mega form around for a bit longer so use Roost to achieve this (only really advisable outside of singles though) if I was going down that route pursuit would probably be the move to go.

Looking on PGL I was surprised to see some use of thief. I guess it acts as a poor mans knock off. As for Wing Attack, Aerial Ace right? It is one of those overlooked surprise attacks and is used much less than thief.

I've been having difficulty obtaining the last three berries from the Inverse BattleHouse. All I have left to collect are the Shuca, Coba, and Colbur berries.
You can get these from battles where there are trees in the background provided you use a move such as twister to knock them off. Serebii has a list here:
http://www.serebii.net/xy/wilditems.shtml

v1perz53

You can get these from battles where there are trees in the background provided you use a move such as twister to knock them off. Serebii has a list here:

This is far and away the strangest addition this pokemon generation. "Hey, you see that tree in the background that kind of looks different? Yea if you have one of like three specific moves out of hundreds you get a berry at the end." Like, who thought of that and decided it was worth adding in, or that it couldn't just trigger on any multi target move?

spiritfox

These things always depend on mode you are playing but Sizor has a lot of options, especially its mega form. Some people like to keep the mega form around for a bit longer so use Roost to achieve this (only really advisable outside of singles though) if I was going down that route pursuit would probably be the move to go.

Looking on PGL I was surprised to see some use of thief. I guess it acts as a poor mans knock off. As for Wing Attack, Aerial Ace right? It is one of those overlooked surprise attacks and is used much less than thief.

Wait, how does Thief work with megastones? Being equipped with something means that the item should not be taken, right?

Oh right I forgot about Aerial Ace. I was thinking since Scyther learnt Wing Attack it might be useful.

Muku

Son of a... Why is it that ENG 3DS's you can choose other regions but a JPN 3DS you can only live in Japan? Dafuq? Well, there goes the Vivillon I wanted. Guess also Japanese people are never supposed to leave Japan according to the 3DS.

Wait, how does Thief work with megastones? Being equipped with something means that the item should not be taken, right?

Oh right I forgot about Aerial Ace. I was thinking since Scyther learnt Wing Attack it might be useful.
Guess it used in non-mega sets then. I forgot that thief had to have an item slot free. This makes it an even worse substitute for knock off...

Son of a... Why is it that ENG 3DS's you can choose other regions but a JPN 3DS you can only live in Japan? Dafuq? Well, there goes the Vivillon I wanted. Guess also Japanese people are never supposed to leave Japan according to the 3DS.
Japanese 3DS are only sold in Japan so only need that country in the settings (as it dictates which eShop you connect to). Also, it makes you see why they thought there was no problem making NNID
a piece of shit
limited to one country as the Japanese can only use one country and so there is no thought that the rest of world might need to use more than one. The Club Nintendo account can only be connected to one NNID is probably a similar thing (no family accounts in Japan so no need for more than one NNID to be linked to the same Club Nintendo account).

Muku

Guess it used in non-mega sets then. I forgot that thief had to have an item slot free. This makes it an even worse substitute for knock off...

Japanese 3DS are only sold in Japan so only need that country in the settings (as it dictates which eShop you connect to). Also, it makes you see why they thought there was no problem making NNID
a piece of shit
limited to one country as the Japanese can only use one country and so there is no thought that the rest of world might need to use more than one. The Club Nintendo account can only be connected to one NNID is probably a similar thing (no family accounts in Japan so no need for more than one NNID to be linked to the same Club Nintendo account).

I know but point goes if you move, kinda SOL on changing where you are. But even still, if that were case, 3DS sold in NA should only allow NA places, but if I recall you can choose beyond that. Though I think not everything was available, they do at least keep in mind that you might not be within US itself. Or if god forbid you move you can at least change it to reflect where you are.

NNID issue doesn't bother me, but I know for others it does. Just seems so... limited in thinking, I swear. Feel like as generations go on we're moving BACKWARDS on some of this stuff.

What I find comical is I can choose a language even on JP version of Pokemon. While great, they make hardware backwards (and because region locked now they no longer allow language changes) but in-game you can choose. *facepalm*

Well, didn't get lucky with a used copy. Guess they wipe 'em here. Or maybe I store I got it from does. Was hoping for free legendaries and other stuff, haha. ;)

lupinko

Haha I hear ya. What Vivillon do you have in your JP Y? And random question: what color LL?

Oh I got the blue XY bundle that came with eshop Y, and I haven't checked yet with my Y as I think I'm still in Santalune still since my focus is on breeding egg moves and trying to complete the dex on X. But I'm still hyped for my playthrough with Chespin/Oshawott/Charmander with Celebi and the Dream Radar Legendaries. Lol

Muku

Oh I got the blue XY bundle that came with eshop Y, and I haven't checked yet with my Y as I think I'm still in Santalune still since my focus is on breeding egg moves and trying to complete the dex on X. But I'm still hyped for my playthrough with Chespin/Oshawott/Charmander with Celebi and the Dream Radar Legendaries. Lol

Haha yeah, spent this evening getting other three of my team to put in JP X. Nice LL! I thought they were kind of cool but nothing that made me excited like Pikachu or Charizard though. Woulda killed for the Eevee one too. Though if it were region free I'd have skipped the black XL and gone for that teal one. So awesome.

Edit: Nice. Going ENG makes it change the whole region. Gotta restart in JP. -_-; Least I can get the least shittiest Vivillon in Japan.

lupinko

You shall receive one. Specific nature?

I'll go Timid or if not then modest.

Haha yeah, spent this evening getting other three of my team to put in JP X. Nice LL! I thought they were kind of cool but nothing that made me excited like Pikachu or Charizard though. Woulda killed for the Eevee one too. Though if it were region free I'd have skipped the black XL and gone for that teal one. So awesome.

I was surprised at how good it looks, I was hesitant at first since the box doesn't make it look appealing but I remembered a coworkers' red XY back home (surprised Japan didn't get that xy 3ds XL) and knew it was different from my regular red. If there is a Z game and they do a Z 3ds for NA I'll upgrade to that since my XL while still great is getting up there already.

And the used heart gold I bought (practically still mint with everything intact) still had its save file which I of course pillaged. Extreme speed dragonite is so good.

Muku

I'll go Timid or if not then modest.

I was surprised at how good it looks, I was hesitant at first since the box doesn't make it look appealing but I remembered a coworkers' red XY back home (surprised Japan didn't get that xy 3ds XL) and knew it was different from my regular red. If there is a Z game and they do a Z 3ds for NA I'll upgrade to that since my XL while still great is getting up there already.

And the used heart gold I bought (practically still mint with everything intact) still had its save file which I of course pillaged. Extreme speed dragonite is so good.

Haha nice. You buy that used here?

lupinko

Haha nice. You buy that used here?

Yeah I bought used HG at a book off here in Sendai. Back home in Vancouver you get ripped off for HGSS with Craigslist or ebgames/gamestop outlandish prices for chewed up carts. True story but a ebgamestop sold me a bootleg Pearl cart. I noticed it and took it back immediately, luckily they gave me another actual legit cart. Because I got the cart only I had to buy the game's packaging from ebay which came with an unused Club Nintendo voucher which I used. Lol

The sad part about Jp Club Nintendo is that unlike NA CN the voucher codes actually expire.

I got all the other older games LG/RSE/DPt/SS off craigslist and W/BW2 from retail.

I liked X enough to play through all the older games.

I also bought a new copy of ranger from amazon. Lol

v1perz53

I wish I wasn't going through my "too cool for pokemon" phase when HG/SS came out, I desperately want a copy but used cartridge only copies still go for near $50. It is the only game in the entire series that I don't own at least one of the two versions of. And forget trying to get one with a pokewalker (which I would love to have as well).

Similarly, I wish I didn't decide to clean out my drawers at home one summer in High School and throw out all my old strategy guides. Going back through the RBY or GS strategy guides was awesome.

Sleepwalker

I wish I wasn't going through my "too cool for pokemon" phase when HG/SS came out, I desperately want a copy but used cartridge only copies still go for near $50. It is the only game in the entire series that I don't own at least one of the two versions of. And forget trying to get one with a pokewalker (which I would love to have as well).

Similarly, I wish I didn't decide to clean out my drawers at home one summer in High School and throw out all my old strategy guides. Going back through the RBY or GS strategy guides was awesome.

I went through a worse phase, the "I won't ever use this again" one, and sold my Soul Silver with poke walker included (mint condition, never used poke walker) for a measly $25 if I remember correctly.

Sleepwalker

Was on my way to breed myself a perfect scyther for my comp team, started from a crap scyther and god ditto and moved my way up to 4IV scyther, just hatched a Shiny 4IV scyther lol, I want to use him :(, the guy says it has outstanding potential overall.

Has 31,XX,XX,31,31,31.

what do?

MicH

Was on my way to breed myself a perfect scyther for my comp team, started from a crap scyther and god ditto and moved my way up to 4IV scyther, just hatched a Shiny 4IV scyther lol, I want to use him :(, the guy says it has outstanding potential overall.

Has 31,XX,XX,31,31,31.

what do?
Take him to the Battle Test in Lumiose and calculate his exact Attack and Defense IVs

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42

Has 31,XX,XX,31,31,31.

what do?

You should go to the Battle Insitute and use it to battle. It'll level it up to level 50, and you can use a stats calculator to see what its IVs are. It might end up being quite high. I bred a shiny 4IV Scyther last night that turned out to be 31/31/31/x/28-29/31.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Just ran a calc, it's 31,28-29, x,31,31,31.

Not sure what to do lol

Ideally, you should breed a regular perfect one for competitive battling, and use the shiny when you're just battling for fun.

Also, is anyone on right now that can help me evolve my Scyther? I just need to trade and trade back.

FC: 0920-1010-8506

Ideally, you should breed a regular perfect one for competitive battling, and use the shiny when you're just battling for fun.

Also, is anyone on right now that can help me evolve my Scyther? I just need to trade and trade back.

Can't right now.
I can help you tonight if you still need it by then.

ezodagrom

I'm online right now, so I guess I could help with that.
FC: 4957-3327-0953

Wynnebeck

Banned
So after months of having the game, I finally
defeated Lysandre and his secret weapon
. Is there anywhere I can go to start looking up Pokemon to put my team together and moves I need to use for them? It's my first time trying to take Pokemon seriously.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
. Is there anywhere I can go to start looking up Pokemon to put my team together and moves I need to use for them? It's my first time trying to take Pokemon seriously.

You could try reading the Smogon forums, or really any large Pokemon community, since they usually have a section for competitive battling discussions.

This reddit post has a bunch of links to posts you can use to learn about breeding for IVs and EV training, so you should check it out.

Wichu

It really depends on how you want to put your team together. There's quite a few good online Pokédexes with stats/moves etc - I recommend Veekun for its awesome search feature, but Serebii has a clearer layout IMO (plus the owner is on GAF!)

The official Pokémon Global Link website has very detailed statistics on the Battle Spot rated formats; you might find some inspiration for Pokémon and movesets there.

JoeM86

Testing a load of cool Doubles strategies ahead of VGC.

Some are working, others not so much which is a shame. Testing them on Special Battle and my w/l record isn't that good due to the testing haha.

Just wish there was more variety in the teams on Special Battle. It's actually exciting when I see one without the standards of Talonflame, Kangaskhan, Mawile, Rotom etc.

I understand wanting to use something good, but people should try stuff out themselves, create more. May not always work, but it's better that way. I always say, I'd rather lose testing something that could be awesome than win with a standard.

I know some users here are going to have a go at me for that :p

Wynnebeck

Banned
You could try reading the Smogon forums, or really any large Pokemon community, since they usually have a section for competitive battling discussions.

This reddit post has a bunch of links to posts you can use to learn about breeding for IVs and EV training, so you should check it out.

It really depends on how you want to put your team together. There's quite a few good online Pokédexes with stats/moves etc - I recommend Veekun for its awesome search feature, but Serebii has a clearer layout IMO (plus the owner is on GAF!)

The official Pokémon Global Link website has very detailed statistics on the Battle Spot rated formats; you might find some inspiration for Pokémon and movesets there.

Thanks guys. I really wanted to put together a well balanced, hard hitting team that is a threat no matter who I throw out there. Unfortunately, I don't think my poor Delphox is going to make the cut lol.

Top Bottom