• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT4| Don't Bank On It

DaBoss

What were the chances in X/Y again without the shiny charm? 1/683 right? That's still higher than BW2 with the shiny charm lol. I think it was 1/1024?
Well, just searched it up and saw Wichu's thread on Smogon (nice job btw): http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/shiny-charm-and-masuda-method-volunteers-needed.3496464/

Shiny rate without the Shiny Charm is 12/8192. For the 5th Gen, the shiny rate without the Shiny Charm is 6/8192 and 8/8192 with one. That is a 33% increase.

So assuming that the Shiny Charm will increase the shiny rate by 33%, it would be 16/8192 with the Shiny Charm which I see on the spreadsheet as one of the possibilities? If the Shiny Charm does increase the Masuda Method's shiny rate, my guess would be it is increased by 33%.

Delio

Hmm can Staraptor be defensive and annoying at all? I kinda want to run it just tossing intimidates around and being a pain.

spiritfox

Hmm can Staraptor be defensive and annoying at all? I kinda want to run it just tossing intimidates around and being a pain.

Non-mega Mawile's better in that role. Best defensive typing and has access to better support moves. Plus you can fake out those who are expecting a Mega.

macklelol

Thanks Daedalos!

Mack, you don't have to breed one now.

Yeah, I pretty much stopped once Daedalos offered to trade away his Arons.

You lose a lot of damage without Reckless, and Staraptor's bulk is pretty mediocre. Staraptor can already be pretty annoying by just killing all your opponent's Pokemon.

Granbull is a pretty decent Pokemon with Intimidate. Has access to decent attacking options, can cure status ailments with Heal Bell, and can spread status with Thunder Wave or Toxic. I've used it a few times and it works out well.

Aggrotek

I really want a shiny Noibat... :(

shiny_noibat_global_link_art_by_trainerparshen-d6wejza.png

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
I currently have 252 HP/6 Special Attack/252 Speed on my Rotom-W. Should I reset the EVs and train for 252 HP/252 Special Attack/6 Speed? Right now my Rotom is pretty ineffective without a high Special Attack. I'm mainly battling in Doubles right now.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I currently have 252 HP/6 Special Attack/252 Speed on my Rotom-W. Should I reset the EVs and train for 252 HP/252 Special Attack/6 Speed? Right now my Rotom is pretty ineffective without a high Special Attack. I'm mainly battling in Doubles right now.

You can split the HP EVs into HP and Spd, but yea SpAtk needs to be maxed.

Delio

Yeah, I pretty much stopped once Daedalos offered to trade away his Arons.

You lose a lot of damage without Reckless, and Staraptor's bulk is pretty mediocre. Staraptor can already be pretty annoying by just killing all your opponent's Pokemon.

Granbull is a pretty decent Pokemon with Intimidate. Has access to decent attacking options, can cure status ailments with Heal Bell, and can spread status with Thunder Wave or Toxic. I've used it a few times and it works out well.

thanks guys. Heal bell Granbull might be what I'm missing to help out my team. Going to make one.

Delio

Well that was a fun match. Cradily tanked Mega Mewtwo X's Aura Sphere with one hp left then Mirror coat killed it after that. Already putting in work.

ugoo18

Alright, i just hatched a Shiny 5IV Rough skin Gible but it was missing it's attack IV.

So it gave me a chance to test out something i was wondering before, if a pokemon egg's shiny value can be changed by SR.

Tried it out and yes it can. Not sure if i'll keep trying with the SR method or the normal hatching method, probably the hatching method.

I'm on a lucky streak today, i've hatched 3 shinies in the last 158 eggs. Last shiny came on egg 4153.

Kirlia

Banned
Alright, i just hatched a Shiny 5IV Rough skin Gible but it was missing it's attack IV.

So it gave me a chance to test out something i was wondering before, if a pokemon egg's shiny value can be changed by SR.

Tried it out and yes it can. Not sure if i'll keep trying with the SR method or the normal hatching method, probably the hatching method.

I'm on a lucky streak today, i've hatched 3 shinies in the last 158 eggs. Last shiny came on egg 4153.

Man, I want your luck. I've been trying to get shiny Phantump for around 500 eggs now. Someday...

macklelol

SR method? Are you just saving before grabbing and hatching eggs, then soft resetting if none of them are shiny?

ugoo18

SR method? Are you just saving before grabbing and hatching eggs, then soft resetting if none of them are shiny?

I hatch in batches of 5.

I tested the soft reset by saving before receiving the first egg and then once a shiny hatched, depending if it was what i wanted or not i would reset. The shiny child was from the 2nd egg out of the batch of 5.

That was the first time i tried the soft reset to see if what i thought was possible.

Muku

You guys are making me want a blue Tyrantrum. Thank Heaven I have a 6IV Tyrunt with egg moves to pair with God Ditto.

My "need to get shiny list" has increased lately too. Thought my list was good.. and it just keeps getting larger. You guys are showing awesome pictures of their shiny form and I'm like damn, I need that too!

one_kill

Just fighting a match. My Porygon2 went down against a critical Sky Uppercut dealt by Blaziken.

Time to test Jellicent out! He might switch in his Zapdos though. I stall with M.Venusaur as it's going to die from toxic.

Now it's Dusknoir vs Azumarill. He switches out to his Arcanine! Play Rough does over half damage.

His Arcanine is using Wild Charge. I didn't even know it learned it!

I sacrifice my Jellicent and send out Azumarill to start spamming Aqua Jet on his remaining Pokemon.

And it's going to be my win! Aqua Jet takes out Arcanine, Blaziken, and Dusknoir.

I'm so close to completing the dex, but still so far away.

I need:

Magmortar
Electivire
Porygon2
Porygon-Z

Then all the legendaries... ._.

Quest1

So, I want to make a dark void smeargle. Can anyone explain the process to me? My darkrai has dark void, and I know I have to sketch it on through a double battle, but I don't wanna mess up. And will it pass down as an egg move or do I need to breed first?

Dark void smeargle and mega gengar with perish song seems so dirty for doubles haha

macklelol

So, I want to make a dark void smeargle. Can anyone explain the process to me? My darkrai has dark void, and I know I have to sketch it on through a double battle, but I don't wanna mess up. And will it pass down as an egg move or do I need to breed first?

Dark void smeargle and mega gengar with perish song seems so dirty for doubles haha

Breed it first. And yeah, just sketch it during a double battle. If you mess up, you can relearn sketch anyways.

backlot

It won't pass down as an egg move. You should be able to go into a double battle and have Smeargle Sketch Darkrai after it uses Dark Void. If you mess it up just have your Smeargle learn Sketch again.

Quest1

Cool! Thanks guys. Since dark void is fair game for vgc14, I don't mind using it. Anyone wanna hook me up with a good breeding smeargle to start out with? I got a some perfect 5iv hustle nidoran females to part with.

Spinluck

Just fighting a match. My Porygon2 went down against a critical Sky Uppercut dealt by Blaziken.

Time to test Jellicent out! He might switch in his Zapdos though. I stall with M.Venusaur as it's going to die from toxic.

Now it's Dusknoir vs Azumarill. He switches out to his Arcanine! Play Rough does over half damage.

His Arcanine is using Wild Charge. I didn't even know it learned it!

I sacrifice my Jellicent and send out Azumarill to start spamming Aqua Jet on his remaining Pokemon.

And it's going to be my win! Aqua Jet takes out Arcanine, Blaziken, and Dusknoir.

why you no vs record it?

:'/

Hylian7

I need some serious team advice, as I rarely seem to win in ranked and I can't figure out why.

I was too lazy to breed for IVs, but I did do super training.

Delphox with Power Herb
Blaze
252 SpA, 252 Spd, rest in HP
Flamethrower
Solar Beam
Shadow Ball
Psychic

Hawlucha with Yache Berry
Unburden
252 Atk, 252 SPD, rest in HP
Sky Drop
Sky Attack
Roost
Flying Press

Ampharos with Ampharosite
Static
252 SpA, rest split among SpD and HP
Power Gem
Charge
Thunderbolt
signal Beam

Goodra with Damp Rock
Hydration
252 SpD, 252 HP, rest in Def
Infestation
Dragon Tail
Rain Dance
Rest

Blastoise with no item ATM (need to get Leftovers)
Torrent
252 HP, 252 Def, rest in SpD
Toxic
Rapid Spin
Scald
Ice Beam

Aegislash with Shell Bell
Stance Change
252 Def, 252 SpD, rest in HP
King's Shield
Swords Dance
Sacred Sword
Iron Head

My weakest links are easily Hawlucha and Blastoise. I also find that Earthquake and Fairies (namely Mawhile) wreck my team 90% of the time. Even if I think I'm prepared to deal with either of those, the opponent always has some curveball that completely screws me over.

Any ideas?

one_kill

why you no vs record it?

:'/
I rarely record matches lol

Next time I have a good fight, I'll record it and post the ID here

I need some serious team advice, as I rarely seem to win in ranked and I can't figure out why.

I was too lazy to breed for IVs, but I did do super training.

My weakest links are easily Hawlucha and Blastoise. I also find that Earthquake and Fairies (namely Mawhile) wreck my team 90% of the time. Even if I think I'm prepared to deal with either of those, the opponent always has some curveball that completely screws me over.

Any ideas?
Your defence is weak
You could be dominated by sweepers
You'd probably benefit from having a Pokemon with Earthquake

Hylian, do your Pokemon have beneficial natures? Like Modest for Ampharos to boost it's special attack?

If you don't care about natures and IVs it's near impossible to win. People in ranked only use the strongest Pokemon and breed them to be as effective as possible.

Add people on GAF and just have fun.

Top Bottom