• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT4| Don't Bank On It

one_kill

Has anyone bred an Impish Overcoat Vullaby with Foul Play and have spare rejects? I want to train a Mandibuzz.

Hey, sorry. Maybe 1-2hr max?
If you're sitll looking for someone to hold Pokemon for you, PM me. You can take as long as you want.

I only asked because I was headed for bed... which I ultimately did lol

Kirlia

Banned
Does anyone have any legendaries? If so, I'd be very grateful if we could do a data trade. I wouldn't keep them; I'd just need the data in order to help complete the National Dex. Of course, if anyone had any spare legendaries, I would not be complaining, but again, data only is fine for now.

one_kill

Does anyone have any legendaries? If so, I'd be very grateful if we could do a data trade. I wouldn't keep them; I'd just need the data in order to help complete the National Dex. Of course, if anyone had any spare legendaries, I would not be complaining, but again, data only is fine for now.
Which ones do you need?

Shouta

Now that my moving is done, I can get back to breeding the teem I want for the Regionals up here in Seattle in April. Just gotta decide on my Pokemon. I definitely want to use a Gradevoir or Gallade, I think. Then a Fire and Water starter from Gen I or VI. Gotta figure out what else from there. Some suggestions would be welcome from the list that would be usable at that event.

one_kill

Hahaha...pretty much all of them that aren't Xerneas, Yveltal, Zapdos, Phione (if that one counts as a legendary) or Zygarde. Any for data are appreciated! Also, if you have an Unown for data as well, that'd be rad. :)
I can maybe help you out later. I should be doing work atm lol :p

I'm willing to do most of the legendaries. Just send me a PM and I'll reply when I'm available.

For the time being, why not try to get Articuno and Moltres?
1. Breed Elekid, Elygem, Koffing, or Baltoy
2. Offer on GTS for Rhyperior
3. Offer Rhyperior for Milotic
4. Offer Milotic for Xerneas or Yveltal
5. Offer Xerneas or Yveltal for Articuno or Moltres

I haven't done it since last week as I'm trying to collect untouched Xerneas, Yveltal and Zygarde atm, but I think it should still work.

Now that my moving is done, I can get back to breeding the teem I want for the Regionals up here in Seattle in April. Just gotta decide on my Pokemon. I definitely want to use a Gradevoir or Gallade, I think. Then a Fire and Water starter from Gen I or VI. Gotta figure out what else from there. Some suggestions would be welcome from the list that would be usable at that event.
Are mega evolutions allowed? If so, what Pokemon are you planning to mega evolve?

Kirlia

Banned

I'm willing to do most of the legendaries. Just send me a PM and I'll reply when I'm available.

I haven't done it since last week as I'm trying to collect untouched Xerneas, Yveltal and Zygarde atm, but I think it should still work.

All righty, thanks a bunch! :) I will try to get Articuno, I think, since I'll be able to get Moltres via Y.

Shouta

Are mega evolutions allowed? If so, what Pokemon are you planning to mega evolve?

I don't know if they're allowed. If they are, I have 3 potential choices of the ones I already want, Gen I starters and Gardevoir. The Gen 6 starters and Gallade don't have them but I wouldn't mind using them either so...

Use Scrafty. DO IT FOR GREAT JUSTICE!

Jolly with Moxie as its ability and Hi-Jump Kick, Crunch, Dragon Dance and Poison Jab or Careful with Shed Skin and Drain Punch, Bulk Up, Rest and Dragon Tail work really well with the right items and setup.

Sigmaah

Does anyone have a good tutorial for cloning?

My post from ot3

Here's my cloning guide. It's a lot faster than the Jay video one since you're not waiting for the black screen to pop up.

Do whatever the guy said in the video about what ds to trade/turn off. Now once you trade and once the communicating screen pops up, count to 4 mississIP.

So like this, 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi, 3 Mississippi, 4 mississIP turn off. Then immeadietly start counting again and turn off the next ds at 4 mississIP. Don't finish the 4th Mississippi, stop it at mississIP. Count at a normal pace, not too fast and not too slow. Once you mess around with the counting timing, you'll find a pace which works best for you and gets you good results.

You won't always get a clone, sometimes it'll take more then 5 tries to get one. But that happens with any method so don't get discouraged because of it. But this method is quicker than the black screen one and has been pretty good to me.

If you have questions, ask away!

Another good point is, sometimes one communicating screen comes before the other. Start your count whenever you see the communicating screen come. Doesn't matter what ds it comes on. Just start counting whenever you see the blue screen pop up.

I use 2 3dsXL's btw. So this method is for 2 3dsXL's. Ppl claim that the regular 3ds has different timing.

I said exactly what to do about the counting speed in the post lol. Start by counting at a normal pace, just regularly say 1 Mississippi. don't zip the words and don't say them like a sloth. Once you do this and get a clone, you've found your pace to go by.

And like I said even if you go by your normal pace that's been working well. You sometimes still won't get a clone. It's based on luck too.

Last night I was cloning a Skarmory and elecktrike for myself and someone and my regular pace wasn't working at the start. It would trade the pokemon over and over again and of course I got annoyed but it is what it is. What did I do though? Stuck at it and eventually the clones came. Cloning is more of luck than skill. You gotta have a sense of the timing but that's it. It can work 5 times in a row and then the next 10 could be duds. Thats cloning for ya!

Tiamant

Use Marowak to obliterate everything that isn't Tangrowth.

We talked about this a little before. I got a Xerneas and an Yvetal from this method. (Elgyem > Milotic > Xerneas/Yvetal) Xerneas and Yvetal DO NOT trade for shit. Haha. However, what I did do was make about 5 Porygon2s and put a dubious disc on them. Those traded out fast as all hell. You can get virtually anything for Porygon-Z. I used my 5 Porygon2/Zs to get every single legendary I could get on the GTS, using trade chaining. That's just my experience with GTS as of late.

Kirlia

Banned
We talked about this a little before. I got a Xerneas and an Yvetal from this method. (Elgyem > Milotic > Xerneas/Yvetal) Xerneas and Yvetal DO NOT trade for shit. Haha. However, what I did do was make about 5 Porygon2s and put a dubious disc on them. Those traded out fast as all hell. You can get virtually anything for Porygon-Z. I used my 5 Porygon2/Zs to get every single legendary I could get on the GTS, using trade chaining. That's just my experience with GTS as of late.

Interesting. Aren't the Dubious Disc and Up-Grade only available through the Battle Maison, though?

one_kill

I don't know if they're allowed. If they are, I have 3 potential choices of the ones I already want, Gen I starters and Gardevoir. The Gen 6 starters and Gallade don't have them but I wouldn't mind using them either so...
Between Charizard and Blastoise, Charizard has the better mega evolutions. X is better, but Y isn't too far off.

I'm not sure how Gardevoir or Gallade perform because I haven't used them, but I think Gallade would do well if trick room was set up.

As for other Pokemon, you need to have a counter for Aegislash, Talonflame, and Mega Lucario. An earthquake and rock slide sweeper would be good I think.

Maybe consider Azumarill. Aqua Jet and Play Rough are excellent moves. It usually can't tank more than one hit, but it usually OHKOs a lot of threats.

Use Scrafty. DO IT FOR GREAT JUSTICE!

Jolly with Moxie as its ability and Hi-Jump Kick, Crunch, Dragon Dance and Poison Jab or Careful with Shed Skin and Drain Punch, Bulk Up, Rest and Dragon Tail work really well with the right items and setup.
Talonflame would destroy Scrafty

I think the added work of getting those items is not worth it when you could get a Porygon-Z by chain trading anyway.
My guide isn't law. It's just a guide and you're free to be as flexible with it. I just posted what works/worked for me.

If you want me to show you all the legendaries I got through my method, I can take a picture and put it up here. There's no need to "Haha" what I suggested, especially if you consider that I started from 0 and ended up with all 718.

DaBoss

They are allowed, here are the rules: http://support.pokemon.com/FileManagement/Download/07294296edc545bca57c76266cef60fe

Should be noted that the tournament is using a Doubles format, so for anyone that is recommending Pokemon, keep that in mind.
Between Charizard and Blastoise, Charizard has the better mega evolutions. X is better, but Y isn't too far off.
Y is better. Drought is too good. Even if the weather nerf exists. Though you may have said that with a Singles format in mind, I would still say Y is better lol.

Interesting. Aren't the Dubious Disc and Up-Grade only available through the Battle Maison, though?

Yep, 32 BP each. It's not cheap. But you technically can just make one Porygon-Z, trade for a legendary, then continue trade chaining till you fill your dex. It only took me a few hours when I did it. Worst part is, there are a lot of idiots trying to GTS special pokemon. Luckily the GTS sorts by time so those trades are all in the back.

I think the added work of getting those items is not worth it when you could get a Porygon-Z by chain trading anyway.
My guide isn't law. It's just a guide and you're free to be as flexible with it. I just posted what works for me.

If you want me to show you all the legendaries I got, I can take a picture and put it up here. There's no need to "Haha" what I suggested, especially if you consider that I started from 0 and ended up with all 718.

I meant no disrespect. :-( I know Xerneas used to get you anything you wanted but now with Bank open, and all this cloning, it seems like everyone either has him or has his dex entry.

Shouta

I'm not sure how Gardevoir or Gallade perform because I haven't used them, but I think Gallade would do well if trick room was set up.

As for other Pokemon, it's tyou have a counter for Aegislash, Talonflame, and Mega Lucario. An earthquake and rock slide sweeper would be good I think.

Maybe consider Azumarill. Aqua Jet and Play Rough are excellent moves. It usually can't tank more than one hit, but it usually OHKOs a lot of threats.

Charizard X would be fun. I'd swap to Greninja for my Water starter then. I may go with either Gallade or Gardevoir depending on which gender gets the IVs I want first.

They are allowed, here are the rules: http://support.pokemon.com/FileManagement/Download/07294296edc545bca57c76266cef60fe

Should be noted that the tournament is using a Doubles format, so for anyone that is recommending Pokemon, keep that in mind.

Ah, Doubles and Megas allowed eh. I'll have to consider that and work some synergy in with my combinations.

I just thought of another one I wanted to use. Snorlax. I'll name it after myself too. lol Tyrantrum and Haxorus were on the list too but dunno.

PK Gaming

You might want to take a look at http://nuggetbridge.com. It has tons of coverage and reports fromn players who have competed in some of the Regionals thus far. Reading through them should give you an idea of what kind of Pokemon are used in high level play.

I strongly recommend reading through this regional report by Ray Rizzo (3 time VGC champion). It's damn a good read.

Kirlia

Banned
Yep, 32 BP each. It's not cheap. But you technically can just make one Porygon-Z, trade for a legendary, then continue trade chaining till you fill your dex. It only took me a few hours when I did it. Worst part is, there are a lot of idiots trying to GTS special pokemon. Luckily the GTS sorts by time so those trades are all in the back.

I meant no disrespect. :-( I know Xerneas used to get you anything you wanted but now with Bank open, and all this cloning, it seems like everyone either has him or has his dex entry.

Both of your guys' advice is good, honestly. I'm going to try both, despite being a pretty awful competitive battler. Still, I only need to do 64 battles for a Porygon-Z. I'll probably just try to grind for the discs while Elekid awaits trade.

Actually, it seems like a Milotic is worth more than Xerneas/Yveltal now. And Prism Scales CAN be obtained through the Pick Up ability (sure, it's only a 1% chance Level 50 and up, but still, unlimited). I'll just move my shiny Phantump breeding to my Y game and commence getting them all via X.

Also, if anyone has an extra 5IV/6IV Ditto, I can try to get a spare UpGrade/Dubious Disc in exchange. I don't care if the Ditto is foreign or shiny.

Shouta

You might want to take a look at http://nuggetbridge.com. It has tons of coverage and reports fromn players who have competed in some of the Regionals thus far. Reading through them should give you an idea of what kind of Pokemon are used in high level play.

I strongly recommend reading through this regional report by Ray Rizzo (3 time VGC champion). It's damn a good read.

Neat. I'll have a more detailed read when I have a spare minute or two at work.

Both of your guys' advice is good, honestly. I'm going to try both, despite being a pretty awful competitive battler. Still, I only need to do 64 battles for a Porygon-Z. I'll probably just try to grind for the discs while Elekid awaits trade.

Actually, it seems like a Milotic is worth more than Xerneas/Yveltal now. And Prism Scales CAN be obtained through the Pick Up ability (sure, it's only a 1% chance Level 50 and up, but still, unlimited). I'll just move my shiny Phantump breeding to my Y game and commence getting them all via X.

Also, if anyone has an extra 5IV/6IV Ditto, I can try to get a spare UpGrade/Dubious Disc in exchange. I don't care if the Ditto is foreign or shiny.

Use a lead with Compound Eyes ability and I'm pretty sure your chances go up.

Edit: You get 20 BP when you beat the 20th battle in Battle Maison. Then you unlock supers which starts you at 2 BP. so you don't quite have 64 battles to do.

PK Gaming

Mother of god, their teams are so BORING. Garchomp, Garchomp, Rotom, Kangaskhan, Garchomp, Salamence, Rotom, Kangaskhan, Kangaskhan, Tyranitar, Tyranitar, Tyranitar, Salamence, Garchomp, Rotom...

Ray Rizzo said:
I only say this because I see so many people complaining on places like Nugget Bridge or Showdown! chat about how “there are only 6 viable Pokémon” because “everyone uses the same team”. I think this is far from the truth, and I think this metagame has a lot more variety than VGC 13 did. People just need to be willing to experiment. Look at Enosh, who is an excellent player and an extremely consistent tournament finisher, Toler, a former World Champion, and Wolfe, a 2-time National Champion and Worlds runner-up. They all used some crazy stuff, much crazier than I did, and they all had a very successful regional. Hopefully, this regional encourages people to be more creative, because I think that makes the game more fun for everyone playing. If you manage to think of something that’s creative yet actually good, you’re going to have much more success. Just think of it mathematically. If you consider yourself a good player but maybe not one of the best, and are aiming for not just top cut, but a really high finish, would you rather be one of the hundreds using the same exact team and just hoping you get better luck than those who are also of an equal skill level to you, whether it’s by lucky pairings or actual luck during battles? Or would you rather try and work to find something creative that can help break down the metagame and separate yourself from all of your competitors using the standard team and even compete with the top tier players? It’s more difficult absolutely, but if you have aspirations to finish really highly at the more challenging tournaments, I think that’s the way to go. Enough of that rant, inspired by that drama filled thread on Nugget Bridge, back to the team. Also Talonflame sucks.

!!!

Kirlia

Banned
I can't seem to wonder trade. It says that the server is under maintenance once in a while.

I can only hope that's a sign that Pokemon Bank is coming out soon. I mean, it came out in Japan, technically, despite being pulled from the market, so there's no way it's going to never be released here, right? Right?

Korosenai

GG Tiamant. You use some weird Pokemon that actually go together pretty well.

We can play again in a bit if you want to, I have some homework I need to do now.

Tiamant

Damn it, I thought you'd switch Magnezone out.

And I need a rapid spinner on my team asap! lol

I got really lucky there, entry hazards did half the job.

And dammit, I haven't got the chance to try my Xatu, I always send him to die so stupidly...

Korosenai

I got really lucky there, entry hazards did half the job.

And dammit, I haven't got the chance to try my Xatu, I always send him to die so stupidly...

Yea, I saw Xatu in your Box and knew you would probably lead with it so I sent out Greninja.

Want to play again later?

mylasthope

Neo Member
Does anyone have a spare mega stone Y for charizard? I lost mine when I released my starter (forgot he still had it). I'd also appreciate a mega stone X for charizard! :)

I can offer the blastoise / venusaur y stones or any other stones available in Y. I believe they're buyable in Lumoise, right?

Oh man, I'm just going to have to start over to get another charizardite y, huh? =(

Talonflame would destroy Scrafty.

Ray Rizzo said:
Talonflame sucks

See, even the pros think so!

In all seriousness though, that's what I mean by "with proper setup." Scrafty's a cleanup sweeper meant to be sent out and wreck the opposing team once anything that can threaten him is dead. Only a fool with a deathwish would call on him while Talonflame and the Lame Bros. are still out and about.

Top Bottom