• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT4| Don't Bank On It

one_kill

I have three tanks... What should change?
Ah you caught my typo before the edit... *feels embarrassed

You need more bulky Pokemon. Your tanks aren't really tanks. They might be able to take a hit, but they won't be walling much. Legendaries would have a field day against your tanks.

Look into the item Eviolite. Consider Pokemon like Chansey and Porygon2 who benefit from holding it. It's an excellent item.

Also, Pokemon who have access to excellent recovery moves make better tanks. Rest is only good in certain situations and if used by certain Pokemon.

If you want, you can battle me and see how much my Porygon2 and M.Venusaur can tank/stall against your team.

Hylian7

Ah you caught my typo before the edit... *feels embarrassed

You need more bulky Pokemon. Your tanks aren't really tanks. They might be able to take a hit, but they won't be walling much. Legendaries would have a field day against your tanks.

Look into the item Eviolite. Consider Pokemon like Chansey and Porygon2 who benefit from holding it. It's an excellent item.

Also, Pokemon who have access to excellent recovery moves make better tanks. Rest is only good in certain situations and if used by certain Pokemon.

If you want, you can battle me and see how much my Porygon2 and M.Venusaur can tank/stall against your team.
Goodra seems to wall well, but the others don't. The strat with Goodra is Rain Dance and Rest to use Hydration.

I need a new tank that could probably replace Blastoise and can learn Earthquake.

Do I really need Rapid Spin? I have yet to encounter a single Spikes/Stealth Rock strat online.

Hylian7

Hylian, do your Pokemon have beneficial natures? Like Modest for Ampharos to boost it's special attack?

If you don't care about natures and IVs it's near impossible to win. People in ranked only use the strongest Pokemon and breed them to be as effective as possible.

Add people on GAF and just have fun.
No, just neutral ones. I just made sure not to have negative natures.

one_kill

Goodra seems to wall well, but the others don't. The strat with Goodra is Rain Dance and Rest to use Hydration.

I need a new tank that could probably replace Blastoise and can learn Earthquake.

Do I really need Rapid Spin? I have yet to encounter a single Spikes/Stealth Rock strat online.
Have a sweeper learn Earthquake. In my experience, the best kind of tanks stall. They won't be OHKOing in most cases.

You don't need Rapid Spin if you're just going to fight random people.

No, just neutral ones. I just made sure not to have negative natures.
You should really consider having useful natures.

macklelol

You're not gonna see much hazards in stuff like 3v3, you don't get much mileage out of them.

It's really much more useful if you play 6v6 singles.

And for natures, neutral natures are not good. Since most Pokemon have a stat they don't care for (for example Delphox doesn't care for its Attack, so it can use a Modest or Timid nature just fine), there's no reason to ever use a neutral nature. The boost in power or the speed you get from an appropriate nature is too good to give up.

Also, you want to battle one_kill? I wanna see your team in action.

Hylian7

You're not gonna see much hazards in stuff like 3v3, you don't get much mileage out of them.

It's really much more useful if you play 6v6 singles.

And for natures, neutral natures are not good. Since most Pokemon have a stat they don't care for (for example Delphox doesn't care for its Attack, so it can use a Modest or Timid nature just fine), there's no reason to ever use a neutral nature. The boost in power or the speed you get from an appropriate nature is too good to give up.

You probably don't. I just realized my Goodra has a naughty nature. I somehow never caught the.

Operation rebuild my entire team is a go.

one_kill

My wife just came home from work so I'll be having dinner with her. Maybe later if you're still on?

I'm not that confident, but I think I should start having matches with you guys so I can learn more :p

You probably don't. I just realized my Goodra has a naughty nature. I somehow never caught the.

Operation rebuild my entire team is a go.
What kind of Pokemon are you interested in using? People here have been breeding all sorts of Pokemon and they might be able to give you a breeding reject/spare to make work easier.

In any case, good luck and have fun :D If you need help, PokeGAF is awesome! Smogon's a good place too, but it might be overwhelming at first, lol :D

Hylian7

My wife just came home from work so I'll be having dinner with her. Maybe later if you're still on?

I'm not that confident, but I think I should start having matches with you guys so I can learn more :p

What kind of Pokemon are you interested in using? People here have been breeding all sorts of Pokemon and they might be able to give you a breeding reject/spare to make work easier.

In any case, good luck and have fun :D If you need help, PokeGAF is awesome! Smogon's a good place too, but it might be overwhelming at first, lol :D
The same team as before, but useful natures, optimum IVs and replacing Blastoise with a physical tank that can learn Earthquake.

macklelol

I'll probably be up for another hour or two, so if you want to battle, just look for me ingame, ign is Boa Toh.

spiritfox

I've been through ten Fennekins already and not a single modest one... Come on RNG

Do you have a Ditto Safari? They're you best friend for breeding. Keep a Ditto for every useful nature and then use Everstones to pass them down to your eggs. It's hard if you're starting from scratch but it'll get easier as you get more breeding fodder. Also, add me so I can give you a Modest Ditto.

one_kill

Currently fighting a team with five legendaries (Manaphy, Zapdos, Zygarde, Xerneas, and Mewtwo) and a Porygon-Z. Bring it on!

After taking down Porygon-Z, it's not Porygon2 vs Zygarde. I'm stalling atm.

Now it's Mewtwo Y! I sacrifice my Infernape so I safely bring in my Gliscor to test him out. Dude makes a mistake and throws a Thunderbolt.

Dude brings out Zapdos and uses Thunderbolt on my Gliscor. Not sure why, but I'm guesing my opponent is a noob. Yeah, he's a noob.

Bah I thought this would've been a challenging fight :(

Is there anyone super reliable I can trust to hold Pokemon for me whilst I restart my save?
How many?

Would anyone here be kind enough to let me borrow a male Noivern with Boomburst? Just so I can breed that move onto Swellow.

I have 5 IV Bergmite, Frillish and Gible to give as a thanks.

Edit: got it, nvm.

Guts Swellow with Boomburst? I do not want to get hit by that!

Yeah, I thought that sounded interesting and I got the urge to breed one. Swellow looks pretty majestic in this game too!

I know Boom Burst has the same base power as Facade, but Boom Burst is cooler. :p

KNT-Zero

I was just leveling up in a Friend Safari and I got this little thing :p
8c4UwfC.jpg

Now I have 3 owned (caught by me) Shinies! -> Chinchou, Gengar and Aipom.
I also have a Shiny Mew courtesy of onslack :3

Now onto completing the Kanto Dex!

SeZMehK

Well last night I converted to a digital copy of pokemon y. So I gave cloning a shot. I got the black screens but it never cloned. Lol. I gave up and went to bed.lol

lol, just realized Boom Burst is a special attack and I'm breeding Jolly Tailows. And that Swellow has base 50 SpAtk. Well that was a waste of time.

Only 4 Pokemon learn this move, and this is one of them.

image.png

spiritfox

lol, just realized Boom Burst is a special attack and I'm breeding Jolly Tailows. And that Swellow has base 50 SpAtk. Well that was a waste of time.

Only 4 Pokemon learn this move, and this is one of them.

image.png

I think the lack of Boomburst Swellows in the metagame should tell you that to begin with.

Game Freak are master trolls.

Delio

I'm gonna kill myself trying to get this Porygon to get all IVs 31 AND Trace. I guess I can just not care about a 31 in speed as Porygon 2 isnt ment to be outrunning stuff.

Wichu

half my team is super weak to steel so I'm thinking about rebreeding my Steelix. Wild Magnetons hold metal coats, right?

Yep. Apparently Bronzong and Metang hold them too, so if you have access to a Steel Friend Safari, you're (probably) set.

Wichu

That makes things easier, thanks!

Now, sturdy or sheer force...

ed: Dragon Tail + Sheer Force = no GTFO effect?

Sheer Force only affects moves that have a probability of an additional effect after damage, not ones with an effect built in. Off the top of my head, that means only moves with a chance to status, raise/lower stats, or flinch the opponent. Dragon Tail will still work (but not have its damage boosted).

TWILT

Banned
Started a new Wonder Trade playthrough on my X game, because why not. Keeping my Chespin though since this is my first time I'm using him lol.

Didn't allow any duplicate Pokemon or any Pokemon higher than level 10 and got:
Chespin, Mareep, Charmander, Gible, Tyrunt, and Mienfoo. Surprisingly pretty good! Was hoping for a water Pokemon so I can use it for Surf and wish I could nickname them, but oh well. Time to have some fun.

FSLink

Banned
Anyone have a clone of the super Ditto? Was away for the holidays and never got to get one from Sigmaah and kinda want to build a new team. Would help alleviate time for sure, haha.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Wow, I got destroyed by Tiamant. Don't know why I didn't switch my Garchomp out when you had your Weavile out. lol

EDIT: Would Leftovers or Shell Bell be better on a Rotom-W in Doubles? I'm currently using Shell Bell, but I'm thinking Leftovers would be more consistent, and Rotom-W can't deal too much damage anyway. Also, would I be better off retraining my Mamoswine (currently 6 HP/252 Attack/252 Speed)? It isn't fast enough to sweep, and I could always use Ice Shard if I want to hit a faster Pokémon. I'm thinking maybe 252 HP/252 Attack/ 6 Speed or something like that.

Top Bottom