• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT4| Don't Bank On It

Been plotting out teams for the Inverse Battle Special Battle mode later this month. It's really tricky as it's hard to say what will work in this completely new metagame.

I'm loving it. Any of you guys doing it?
I am, although I'm still mostly on the process of picking out a team.

Exuro

So I just beat the elite four and am kind of confused by the safari. I need to add people, and each person has a pokemon type for their safari? How do I tell what type mine is? And for adding people is that through pokemon or through the 3ds? I've had mine for less than a month so I'm pretty new to this.

PBalfredo

Be the Ghost gym leader. It's still empty now.

That's kinda what I'm thinking. But I don't want to just assume the position by sheer virtue of being the first guy at the door. After all, the only ghost I currently use is Sableye, though I love the lil scamp. I'm thinking about making a team and testing it against the gym leaders I already beat. Once I get a few wins to prove my team is legit, then I'll apply for gym leadership.

spiritfox

That's kinda what I'm thinking. But I don't want to just assume the position by sheer virtue of being the first guy at the door. After all, the only ghost I currently use is Sableye, though I love the lil scamp. I'm thinking about making a team and testing it against the gym leaders I already beat. Once I get a few wins to prove my team is legit, then I'll apply for gym leadership.

Ghosts have a lot of status effects to play around with, especially WOW, which can shut down most sweepers. You'll have to do something about Dark moves, though, since they're quite common and can come from non-Dark types, especially Pursuit and Sucker Punch.
MGengar is your go-to Mega in this case, since MBanette kinda sucks unless you want priority Destiny Bond. But mono-Ghost has a lot of good Pokemon, including Jellicent, Chandelure, Gengar, Sableye, Froslass, Aegislash, Cofagrigus, and Shedinja (lol). Too bad Rotom-W does not keep its Ghost typing, or you can use that.

JulianImp

Ghosts have a lot of status effects to play around with, especially WOW, which can shut down most sweepers. You'll have to do something about Dark moves, though, since they're quite common and can come from non-Dark types, especially Pursuit and Sucker Punch.
MGengar is your go-to Mega in this case, since MBanette kinda sucks unless you want priority Destiny Bond. But mono-Ghost has a lot of good Pokemon, including Jellicent, Chandelure, Gengar, Sableye, Froslass, Aegislash, Cofagrigus, and Shedinja (lol). Too bad Rotom-W does not keep its Ghost typing, or you can use that.

Except that mega gengar's off-limits if he sticks to the default smogon rules.

I did a mono-ghost run in White 2, trading a Golett egg from my copy of White and eventually catching a Jellicent, Drifblim, Banette, Chandelure and Cofagrigus, and beat the league once with it. It was the first time I did a monotype run as my first run of a pokémon game, and it was certainly interesting.

You also can't forget Dusknoir, Mismagius, Trevenant and the pumpkin, on top of Golurk, Drifblim, Cofagrigus and the ghosts other have mentioned before. All in all, I'd say ghosts have some decent variety in both types and playstyles.

I've just finished breeding a Diglett for my regular team after lots of on-and-off breeding, and that makes the third pokémon I've got. Now I should probably look into countering ice types and adding some tanks and better damage-dealers, since Dugtrio, Jumpluff and Crobat are all weak to ice on top of sporting below-average defenses.

PBalfredo

Yeah, Dark is going to be a pain, especially when dark type attacks can come out of anywhere. As for threatening actual Dark types, I guess Golurk and Aegislash know Fighting types moves, and Gengar and Jellicent has access to Dazzling Gleam. Anything I'm missing?

I run a dedicated switcheroo klefki on showdown just for him, give the guy a scarf and then hit him as hard as I can with whatever pokemon.

:eek: that's devious

Except that mega gengar's off-limits if he sticks to the default smogon rules.

I did a mono-ghost run in White 2, trading a Golett egg from my copy of White and eventually catching a Jellicent, Drifblim, Banette, Chandelure and Cofagrigus, and beat the league once with it. It was the first time I did a monotype run as my first run of a pokémon game, and it was certainly interesting.

You also can't forget Dusknoir, Mismagius, Trevenant and the pumpkin, on top of Golurk, Drifblim, Cofagrigus and the ghosts other have mentioned before. All in all, I'd say ghosts have some decent variety in both types and playstyles.

I've just finished breeding a Diglett for my regular team after lots of on-and-off breeding, and that makes the third pokémon I've got. Now I should probably look into countering ice types and adding some tanks and better damage-dealers, since Dugtrio, Jumpluff and Crobat are all weak to ice on top of sporting below-average defenses.

Damn Smogon, cramping my style before it even begun. Is Mega Banette worth using in Smogon singles then? And does Mega Gengar's shadow tag work on both opposing pokemon in doubles?

spiritfox

Yeah, Dark is going to be a pain, especially when dark type attacks can come out of anywhere. As for threatening actual Dark types, I guess Golurk and Aegislash know Fighting types moves, and Gengar and Jellicent has access to Dazzling Gleam. Anything I'm missing?

:eek: that's devious

Damn Smogon, cramping my style before it even begun. Is Mega Banette worth using in Smogon singles then? And does Mega Gengar's shadow tag work on both opposing pokemon in doubles?

Ah forgot about Smogon rules. Shadow Tag affects all opposing Pokemon, even in Doubles and Triples.

MBanette is ok, but no Prankster on the turn he Megas really kills his use, and there are much better Pranksters on the Ghost side. Make sure you run Protect if you want to make use of Prankster. He also has good Attack, but nothing to really use it with. You don't have to use a Mega, I guess.

Edit: Hey guys, I have a bunch of Adamant Swift Swim Anoriths with Aqua Jet, Knock Off, and Rapid Spin egg moves. Most are 4IV males, but I have a 4IV female too. They're in Pokeballs.

Reasons why you should get one:
1. Armaldos have a fucking JET PACK on their backs.
2. HA fossils are a pain in the ass to get.
3. Rapid Spin is a chained egg move, so I did all the hard work for you already.
4. Did I mention the Jet Pack?
5. Jet. Pack.

PBalfredo

On the topic of ghosts, lemme have em'. You got em, I want em. Offload your breeding rejects here.

Speaking of breeding rejects, here's what I got mostly:

Klink w/Clear Body
Kangaskhan
Charmander
Cottonee w/Prankster
Kabuto
Rufflet w/Hustle
Aerodactyl
Magnemite
Absol
Wooper w/Unaware
Tympole w/Swift Swim

spiritfox

On the topic of ghosts, lemme have em'. You got em, I want em. Offload your breeding rejects here.

Klink w/Clear Body
Kangaskhan
Charmander
Cottonee w/Prankster
Kabuto
Rufflet w/Hustle
Aerodactyl
Magnemite
Absol
Wooper w/Unaware
Tympole w/Swift Swim

I have Litwicks and Frillishes. The Litwicks are Flash Fire though.

macklelol

Klink w/Clear Body
Kangaskhan
Charmander
Cottonee w/Prankster
Kabuto
Rufflet w/Hustle
Aerodactyl
Magnemite
Absol
Wooper w/Unaware
Tympole w/Swift Swim

I have Heat Wave Litwick, Toxic Spikes/Nasty Plot Yamask, Shadow Sneak/Pain Split Spiritomb, and Small or Super sized Pumpkaboos. Might have to breed some of them, though.

I'd like one of those Anoriths, spiritfox!

PBalfredo

I have Heat Wave Litwick, Toxic Spikes/Nasty Plot Yamask, Shadow Sneak/Pain Split Spiritomb, and Small or Super sized Pumpkaboos. Might have to breed some of them, though.

I'd like one of those Anoriths, spiritfox!

Rad. Yeah let me have what you got. Let me know if you want anything in particular for them, otherwise send me a trade invite for whatevs.

Sleepwalker

Klink w/Clear Body
Kangaskhan
Charmander
Cottonee w/Prankster
Kabuto
Rufflet w/Hustle
Aerodactyl
Magnemite
Absol
Wooper w/Unaware
Tympole w/Swift Swim

I'd like these if they are spares, need them mostly for my dex.

I have earth power hydreigon, high iv's joltiks but not nature, elemental punches abra and a couple things more.

PBalfredo

Thanks for the ghosts, macklelol

QUOTE=Sleepwalker;110451064]I'd like these if they are spares, need them mostly for my dex.

I have earth power hydreigon, high iv's joltiks but not nature, elemental punches abra and a couple things more.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I got plenty. I'm going to bed now, but PM later if you want to do some trades.

KiraFA37

Anybody interested in Sneasels with egg moves? Did some breeding to switch around some of the moves of the Sneasel I got through WT.

Ice punch/Pursuit/Counter/Icicle crash Sneasel
6x Inner Focus - Adamant
2x Keen Eye - Adamant

Ice punch/Pursuit/Fake out/Icicle crash Sneasel
6x Inner Focus - Adamant
2x Inner Focus - Jolly
6x Keen Eye - Jolly

I think most of them have some perfect IVs since they bred with God Ditto but I haven't checked.

Also have some HA (Harvest) Exeggcute lying around.

Sleepwalker

Anybody interested in Sneasels with egg moves? Did some breeding to switch around some of the moves of the Sneasel I got through WT.

Ice punch/Pursuit/Counter/Icicle crash Sneasel
6x Inner Focus - Adamant
2x Keen Eye - Adamant

Ice punch/Pursuit/Fake out/Icicle crash Sneasel
6x Inner Focus - Adamant
2x Inner Focus - Jolly
6x Keen Eye - Jolly

I think most of them have some perfect IVs since they bred with God Ditto but I haven't checked.

Also have some HA (Harvest) Exeggcute lying around.

Is knock off an egg move? Or was it a tutor move? Either way I'd like one of the fake out + adamant ones if possible, an and Exeggcute too for my dex lol.

LaNaranja

Hey you guys after soft reseting several times I have a Timid Articuno w/ HP Ground. 31 IVs in Attack, Defense, and Speed. :/ Should I keep it? Special Attack is 146 at level 70.

Edit: Never mind, found the calculator on Serebii. 20/31/31/12/10/31. :( Looks like I am going to keep trying.

Firestorm

I know I said I'd do it and never really bothered again, but should I hold another GAF tournament? Special Ladder is switching off the Standard ruleset into Inverse so would offer an opportunity for people to practice especially with the next round of events hitting Europe and Australia.

Frost_Ace

I know I said I'd do it and never really bothered again, but should I hold another GAF tournament? Special Ladder is switching off the Standard ruleset into Inverse so would offer an opportunity for people to practice especially with the next round of events hitting Europe and Australia.
The special ladder is basically the rated battles?

They sure are. I was so sure I had a female HA lileep and aerodactyl but I can't find them :(

I have a female weak armor omanyte though.

Type2

Ah forgot about Smogon rules. Shadow Tag affects all opposing Pokemon, even in Doubles and Triples.

MBanette is ok, but no Prankster on the turn he Megas really kills his use, and there are much better Pranksters on the Ghost side. Make sure you run Protect if you want to make use of Prankster. He also has good Attack, but nothing to really use it with. You don't have to use a Mega, I guess.

Edit: Hey guys, I have a bunch of Adamant Swift Swim Anoriths with Aqua Jet, Knock Off, and Rapid Spin egg moves. Most are 4IV males, but I have a 4IV female too. They're in Pokeballs.

Reasons why you should get one:
1. Armaldos have a fucking JET PACK on their backs.
3. Rapid Spin is a chained egg move, so I did all the hard work for you already.
4. Did I mention the Jet Pack?
5. Jet. Pack.
I would love one of these could you send me a pm with what time you'd be available? I'll be home at 4pm pst .

Unicorn

I thought they changed it so males could pass down HA now?

This is like the 15th batch of Bulbas without the HA. Pulled the parents out 3 times now just to make damn sure one of them has the HA.

macklelol

I thought they changed it so males could pass down HA now?

This is like the 15th batch of Bulbas without the HA. Pulled the parents out 3 times now just to make damn sure one of them has the HA.

Males can only pass down HAs when breeding with a Ditto. If you are breeding with a Ditto, maybe you just have some of the worst luck ever.

Ok, got my Dragon Pulse/Mirror Coat on my first Feebas, while breeding a few hoping for perfect IV's I'll start working on getting Iron Tail around. Need to breed a few pokemon to get it into a Feebas. Still considering if I should keep going and add Mud Sport into the breeding and making it a full 4 egg moves.

spiritfox

Ok, got my Dragon Pulse/Mirror Coat on my first Feebas, while breeding a few hoping for perfect IV's I'll start working on getting Iron Tail around. Need to breed a few pokemon to get it into a Feebas. Still considering if I should keep going and add Mud Sport into the breeding and making it a full 4 egg moves.

If you want a 4th egg move go for Hypnosis or Haze, which are much more useful than Mud Sport.

ALM5252

I was playing an online match and came across an opponent with a Diancie. Are those available now? First time I ever saw one and I lost to it. :(

Top Bottom