• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT4| Don't Bank On It

Your Pokemon will not be levelled up to 50 but will be lowered to 50.

Ffff... that's mean. Wait a sec, is that for these tournaments only? I could have sworn my Level 40ish Kingdra was levelled to 50 for the April Friendly. Will have to check the Battle Video to make sure.

I'm breeding your love ball Buneary btw.

Ooh, this might sound weird, but if you have any spares could you spare me one? Been wanting to breed my own Buneary/Lopunny and that Love Ball sounds ace.

I recently started a new save file with the intent of getting some Kalos certified legendaries. I hadn't SR'ed for anything in my first playthrough.

After 3 days of SRing I can present my final Xerneas:

Xerneas
Modest
31/4/31/31/31/30
In a Luxury ball.

I recently started a new save file with the intent of getting some Kalos certified legendaries. I hadn't SR'ed for anything in my first playthrough.

After 3 days of SRing I can present my final Xerneas:

Xerneas
Modest
31/4/31/31/31/30
In a Luxury ball.

Nice, I'm quite jealous.

When I get around to restarting X, I'm hoping to SR for a HP Fire Xerneas. It's going to be annoying to keep having to fight
Lysandre
though to check the HP type.

JoeM86

The Battle Competitions I posted yesterday have been confirmed for the west

Players have the opportunity to earn Championship Points toward a possible invitation to the 2014 Pokémon World Championships by participating in the 2014 International Challenge May or June tournaments.
The Think Fast Competition: Single Battle will test players’ quick thinking. Each round is limited to one 10-minute Single Battle, with a 30-second preview of the opponent’s Pokémon and 15 seconds to choose a move each turn.
Only Eevee and its many evolved forms can participate in the Eevee Friendly Match [Name TBD]. The Rotation Battle format adds a fun component to this competition.
The July All Star Battle [Name TBD] will use the Double Battle format. Up to two Legendary and Mythical Pokémon can be included on a team, a rare occurrence in Pokémon Online Competitions!
In August, the Think Fast Competition: Double Battle will require players to go into battle without seeing a preview of their opponent’s Pokémon team, and each player can have only one Pokémon in reserve, for a total of three Pokémon per side in each battle.
Look forward to the Fairy-type Cup [Name TBD] this fall, a competition where entry will be limited to Fairy-type Pokémon. The battle format is to be determined.
In a special competition for the Halloween season, the Halloween Party [Name TBD] will have a special Single Battle competition for Ghost-type Pokémon only. Also, every contestant’s Battle Box must include Gourgeist!

lupinko

Ffff... that's mean. Wait a sec, is that for these tournaments only? I could have sworn my Level 40ish Kingdra was levelled to 50 for the April Friendly. Will have to check the Battle Video to make sure.

Ooh, this might sound weird, but if you have any spares could you spare me one? Been wanting to breed my own Buneary/Lopunny and that Love Ball sounds ace.

You got it chief.

GulAtiCa

I just beat the Elite 4 and such. Where are some good places to level up and battle high level pokemon battles? Other than the Elite 4 again.
Talking about experience points, so this excludes those battle towers that don't give exp.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I just beat the Elite 4 and such. Where are some good places to level up and battle high level pokemon battles? Other than the Elite 4 again.
Talking about experience points, so this excludes those battle towers that don't give exp.
I use Le Wow and Battle Chateau coupled with O-powers to level up things quickly.

Alchemy

The May International hates me. Sitting at 23-7, but I've been getting crit and missed hax to death. So many games too close for comfort. Almost lost a match to a critical Hyper Voice that nearly killed my Mega Kang and Rotom-W, after the Rotom-W was crit twice in a row by Mienshao Drain Punches.

Pulling my hair out.

Finally gotten all the Vivillon patterns...

Now to work on getting a full kalos born kalos dex, and then breeding my battle teams. Luckily sending all these 5IV feebas in wonder trade is getting a ton of lvl 1 pokemon with 4 egg moves.

I used to think ya'll were nuts breeding for shinies and specific ball types. But once you've mastered breeding for stats, you kind of get the urge to take it even further. lol. I really want a shiny Diggersby called Bugs, but I don't know if I'm ready for this undertaking.

maxresdefault.jpg

Kyzer

Banned
Been really getting into breeding for the first time thanks to XYs infinitely improved mechanics. Just got a 23 streak in my first super multi battle run with a friend, stayed up super late. Really cool. Its like a whole new game again and its rekindled my love for pokemon...i never cared too mucb for the post game battle factories and stuff because i couldnt be bothered to breed, and similarly, was a major smogon lurker, loving to learn and dabble in theorymon but never quite getting the hang of it. Can't wait to try competitive with a better grip on everything.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Been really getting into breeding for the first time thanks to XYs infinitely improved mechanics. Just got a 23 streak in my first super multi battle run with a friend, stayed up super late. Really cool. Its like a whole new game again and its rekindled my love for pokemon...i never cared too mucb for the post game battle factories and stuff because i couldnt be bothered to breed, and similarly, was a major smogon lurker, loving to learn and dabble in theorymon but never quite getting the hang of it. Can't wait to try competitive with a better grip on everything.
You should get ready for the June International; the May one rekindled my interest in Pokemon.

Muku

I think X/Y did nothing but help the game. I never got into breeding for stats until this gen either. It was too much of a pain before, but now? I love it. Started off breeding for stats.. but then just got into breeding (for stats) plus shinies.

Haven't jumped much into competition yet. I'm having too much fun breeding still. LOL.

Edit: Though thinking about it, think my major hitch about competitive stuff.. is I just don't play that way. I don't want to have to worry about some crazy Trick Room set up or something. I'm very much a offensive, blow them out of the water quick type of thing.

Wichu

Edit: Though thinking about it, think my major hitch about competitive stuff.. is I just don't play that way. I don't want to have to worry about some crazy Trick Room set up or something. I'm very much a offensive, blow them out of the water quick type of thing.

I don't know where you're getting "all competitive teams have some crazy strategy" from. Your preferred play style works just as well - if you can keep pressure on the opponent, then they won't be able to set up.

Muku

I don't know where you're getting "all competitive teams have some crazy strategy" from. Your preferred play style works just as well - if you can keep pressure on the opponent, then they won't be able to set up.

Never tackled a competition, but from sound of it, sounds like they've all got some kind of set-up strategy rather than brute forcing. I guess maybe that's why I've not really looked beyond bit I've read. I can't say I've read about brute force teams... seems like everything is about some kind of set up.

Though, thinking about restarting my copy of Y for a different Vivillon pattern. Thinking either Ocean or Sandstorm.
Leaning towards Sandstorm even if my preference is to Ocean, even though both feel just as rare as the other.
Is anyone here breeding competitive -- or even interested -- in Sandstorm?

I have lost almost every single battle so far online, but I don't care - having so much fun! Takes me back to the days when me and my friends used to battle each other in the first 3 gen games.

Wichu

Never tackled a competition, but from sound of it, sounds like they've all got some kind of set-up strategy rather than brute forcing. I guess maybe that's why I've not really looked beyond bit I've read. I can't say I've read about brute force teams... seems like everything is about some kind of set up.

Purely offensive teams are more common in single battles (nearly all Battle Spot Singles teams are pure offense in my experience; 3 Pokémon per side makes setting up not worth it).

In doubles disruption such as Fake Out and Encore is much more valuable, but strategies like Trick Room and weather teams are actually less common in high-level play than you might think.

Muku

Purely offensive teams are more common in single battles (nearly all Battle Spot Singles teams are pure offense in my experience; 3 Pokémon per side makes setting up not worth it).

In doubles disruption such as Fake Out and Encore is much more valuable, but strategies like Trick Room and weather teams are actually less common in high-level play than you might think.

That's actually good to know then. Need to get around to making a team and maybe join in June. Though what does the April Friendly and the May tourney go on? Singles, doubles, or triples? I figure singles are more offensive. And while I like singles, I'm wanting to branch out a bit. I tend to like doubles a bit.

Recently beat the E4 and I've been looking to get some dittos with multiple maxed IVs. I've caught about 30 from the friend safari so far and nothing's had more than 2.

Should I just keep at it? I've heard about the chaining method in Pokemon Village, but haven't tried it before and I'm not sure how easy that is to screw up.

Muku

Recently beat the E4 and I've been looking to get some dittos with multiple maxed IVs. I've caught about 30 from the friend safari so far and nothing's had more than 2.

Should I just keep at it? I've heard about the chaining method in Pokemon Village, but haven't tried it before and I'm not sure how easy that is to screw up.

Someone here might have an extra JPN 6IV Ditto for trade. It'd be easier (and a great chance to MM breed at same time).

fek

That's actually good to know then. Need to get around to making a team and maybe join in June. Though what does the April Friendly and the May tourney go on? Singles, doubles, or triples? I figure singles are more offensive. And while I like singles, I'm wanting to branch out a bit. I tend to like doubles a bit.
April friendly was singles 3v3, May and June competition are doubles 4v4.

Can someone explain to me how this makes sense?

A Noivern with -4 Sp.Atk uses Draco Meteor, does about a quarter damage to my Scyther. I proceed to use Sword Dance. Now, with -6 Sp. Atk, Noivern uses Draco Meteor again, and with a critical hit, takes out all of my remaining HP.

WTF?

JoeM86

Still trying out a load of new double combos in case I decide to participate at the UK Nationals next week.

To hell with what "works", I love my gimmicky strategies.

Top Bottom