• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT4| Don't Bank On It

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Just got done watching Cybertron's latest video; I feel like a nerd because I watch the anime to learn Pokemon pronunciations.

LaNaranja

I just got challenged by this random passerby for some 2 on 2 which I accepted. The dude was running a team of legendaries so of course I lose although I put a fairly good fight. I then change up my team to include all legendaries and proceed to one shot all his shiny legendaries and so he disconnects. Made me feel pretty good :)

Anyway I have been working on the Pokedex and am at 625. So close……yet so far. Once I get done with this I think I am going to make sure I have at least one of everyone and just put them all in the bank so that I never have to do this again. I should be able to immediately get the Shiny Charm in Ruby and Sapphire like this right?

I just got challenged by this random passerby for some 2 on 2 which I accepted. The dude was running a team of legendaries so of course I lose although I put a fairly good fight. I then change up my team to include all legendaries and proceed to one shot all his shiny legendaries and so he disconnects. Made me feel pretty good :)

Anyway I have been working on the Pokedex and am at 625. So close……yet so far. Once I get done with this I think I am going to make sure I have at least one of everyone and just put them all in the bank so that I never have to do this again. I should be able to immediately get the Shiny Charm in Ruby and Sapphire like this right?

Yup, a living dex is whats going to make getting shiny charms in the future much easier to get.

edit: Or you can be crazy as me as get a living dex of kalos born when possible, just to make sure they will transfer lol.

Alchemy

29-11 after day two. Crits and misses are starting to take their toll on my psyche, but at least I'm still in the positive range.

Muku

Man... The find Zapdos/etc 10 times sure is annoying. Who's bright idea was that?

The guys who probably thought it was a good idea in past to have running wild dogs in G/S and the like. I'd rather it be a runner and just put Wobbuffet in and catch it first time. The 10 time thing ughh. ;_;

fek

Currently 21-6 in the may competition, just fought against two perish song teams, kinda annoying to go against and the second one was hard to tell from the team preview.

Finally a 6IV feebas with oblivious. I'll make it into a Milotic later, now to work on snorunts.

Now to start researching what eggmoves I want on it.

Syntsui

Have they ever specified why the hell include the team preview thing? It just destroys some specific strategies if the opponent it knowledgeable enough. It is so stupid.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Is anyone on right now with the following legendaries?

Deoxys
Giratina
Manaphy
Arceus
Victini
Keldeo
Genesect

I'd love to see them for Pokedex completion if anyone is willing. I'm up to 633 now. :)

HawthorneKitty

Have they ever specified why the hell include the team preview thing? It just destroys some specific strategies if the opponent it knowledgeable enough. It is so stupid.
Knowledge is power in Pokemon.
Hopefully the Think Fast competition comes to America too...

Firestorm

Still trying out a load of new double combos in case I decide to participate at the UK Nationals next week.

To hell with what "works", I love my gimmicky strategies.
If you don't care if your gimmicky strats work you don't need to test them out!

Everyone should make it out to their Nationals if they can :) So much fun to be around in a Pokemon environment. Birmingham, Milan, Sydney, Johannesburg, Indianapolis, Tokyo, and hopefully Seoul still left for the video game!

Syntsui

Everyone should make it out to their Nationals if they can :) So much fun to be around in a Pokemon environment. Birmingham, Milan, Sydney, Johannesburg, Indianapolis, Tokyo, and hopefully Seoul still left for the video game!
If only São Paulo could ever get any Pokemon event besides useless TGC tournaments... ):

JoeM86

Well I still want them to work a bit. I just mean to hell with what works as in to hell with the standards of Rotom-W, Talonflame, Aegislash, Kangaskhan, Amoonguss etc. of which practically every VGC team rotates a few.

Several of my random strategies have worked well on paper but are nigh-on impossible to execute.

Kyzer

Banned
Well I still want them to work a bit. I just mean to hell with what works as in to hell with the standards of Rotom-W, Talonflame, Aegislash, Kangaskhan, Amoonguss etc. of which practically every VGC team rotates a few.

Several of my random strategies have worked well on paper but are nigh-on impossible to execute.

This is the story of my life. I think I'm just now starting to make breakthroughs with strategies that are refined enough to work though and its pretty exhilarating.

lupinko

I did pretty decent I think today, 11-4. Those loses usually came with my lack of pokexperience or miscalculation. Like missing knockoffs and screwing up with choice band trick.

I'm taking a break from trying to breed shiny 6iv Axew, and now I'm trying to breed 6iv shiny Starly (jolly/reckless/astonish/roost/double edge/steel wing).

Like all those reject 5iv Axews that I have, the rejects for Starly will be available too for gaf.

I'm trying to get a viable list of pokes ready for June since my team of Genies and Pixies can't be used. And my team of Adamant Mew, Jolly Mewtwo X, Eon twins and double Deoxys are not legal in any sense of the imagination.

HawthorneKitty

I did pretty decent I think today, 11-4. Those loses usually came with my lack of pokexperience or miscalculation. Like missing knockoffs and screwing up with choice band trick.

I'm taking a break from trying to breed shiny 6iv Axew, and now I'm trying to breed 6iv shiny Starly (jolly/reckless/astonish/roost/double edge/steel wing).

Like all those reject 5iv Axews that I have, the rejects for Starly will be available too for gaf.

I'm trying to get a viable list of pokes ready for June since my team of Genies and Pixies can't be used. And my team of Adamant Mew, Jolly Mewtwo X, Eon twins and double Deoxys are not legal in any sense of the imagination.
Yessss VGC is the only way to play; join us.

JoeM86

This is the story of my life. I think I'm just now starting to make breakthroughs with strategies that are refined enough to work though and its pretty exhilarating.

This is why I'm so excited for Battle Spot Season 6. People will actually have to be imaginative with their teams if they want to compete. No more relying on Rotom, or Aegislash, or Talonflame, or Kangaskhan, or any of the standards.

It'll be glorious, and I can't wait to see the results. My current team doesn't use these standards, and so I'm happy. Sure, it doesn't always win, but I keep catching people off-guard.

Firestorm

If you'd like to have a better chance of coming up with strategies, I'd concentrate more on the strategy than trying to be a unique snowflake with Pokemon. Pokemon aren't just about the sprites. Competitive battling means a combination of six characters who have different base stats, effort values, individual values, natures, items, and attacks. It's about seeing unique ways of solving problems. Just because five of Ray's last team had Pokemon you seen on most teams doesn't mean he didn't have something innovating there with Wigglytuff. Even the team before that was interesting in that nobody seemed to be using Mawile with a Careful nature and he showed why that was effected and set a new standard. Players like Tony and Nemanja also have come up with really amazing strategies that work with lesser seen Pokemon like Raichu, Gengar, Vivillon, etc. but nonetheless support them with standard Pokemon who are the best at what they do.

Usually your team should probably have 3 to 4 of the top Pokemon seen most often as they're usually super useful tools to help execute the strategy you want. The other two or three might be the crux of your team, but there's a reason some of the Pokemon are the most used and that's because of how versatile they are!

lupinko

Yessss VGC is the only way to play; join us.

It's only Kalos dex right? So no Mismagius?

Right now it looks like only Haxorus and Staraptor.

Potentially Lucario and Garchomp as well.

Still coming up with fun teams that are competitive legal.

So that also invalidates Pokemon from the FS? I wanted to use Metagross and Ninetales. :/

Edit:

Thinking of Gardevoir / Staraptor / Haxorus / Garchomp.

Dunno who to use for the last two and I don't know if I should go Mega Gardevoir or Mega Garchomp.

JoeM86

If you'd like to have a better chance of coming up with strategies, I'd concentrate more on the strategy than trying to be a unique snowflake with Pokemon. Pokemon aren't just about the sprites. Competitive battling means a combination of six characters who have different base stats, effort values, individual values, natures, items, and attacks. It's about seeing unique ways of solving problems. Just because five of Ray's last team had Pokemon you seen on most teams doesn't mean he didn't have something innovating there with Wigglytuff. Even the team before that was interesting in that nobody seemed to be using Mawile with a Careful nature and he showed why that was effected and set a new standard. Players like Tony and Nemanja also have come up with really amazing strategies that work with lesser seen Pokemon like Raichu, Gengar, Vivillon, etc. but nonetheless support them with standard Pokemon who are the best at what they do.

Usually your team should probably have 3 to 4 of the top Pokemon seen most often as they're usually super useful tools to help execute the strategy you want. The other two or three might be the crux of your team, but there's a reason some of the Pokemon are the most used and that's because of how versatile they are!

Yes, there is obviously a reason those Pokémon are the Top 12, but using them is just so blah and lacks both originality and creativity.

And you forget who you're talking to here. I come up with great strategies while being unique with my choices. Just because I don't want to use the same stuff everyone else is does not mean I'm doing things wrong.

Macka

I did this with my friend a few hours ago. Pick five Pokemon from each region that you'd most want to be given a Mega Evolution. Feel free to add in any ideas you have for the designs.

Kanto
Arbok
Dugtrio (Finally reveal his entire body)
Arcanine (Nothing too drastic...maybe a little bigger and some black fur in the mane).
Rapidash (Fire/Fairy Pegasus, wings of fire).
Muk (More solid maybe? There's definitely potential here).

Johto
Lanturn
Steelix (Steel/Fire? Molten steel covering his body).
Magcargo
Kingdra
Donphan (Ground/Steel, hardened plates covering him).

Hoenn
Sharpedo (Water/Steel, play more on the 'torpedo' idea).
Camerupt
Cacturne
Zangoose
Seviper

Sinnoh
Luxray
Spiritomb (Definitely potential here. Spirits breaking free, etc.)
Toxicroak
Gallade
Drapion

Unova
Krookodile
Cofagrigus (Mummy coming out of the sarcophagus).
Reuniclus
Beartic (Quadruped, bigger and more threatening looking.)
Bisharp (Knight? King?)

Kalos
Pangoro
Malamar
Heliolisk (Doesn't look complete, definitely needs one).
Hawlucha
Noivern

lupinko

My adamant thundurus (who is also shiny :D) from my White game currently runs Wild charge / thunder wave / superpower / knock off, I'm debating using an ability capsule on him to give him defiant over prankster, but prankster gives the instant paralyze a boost.

Any opinions?

Also is Florges better for support? I'm thinking about running one for next month's competitions.

I did this with my friend a few hours ago. Pick five Pokemon from each region that you'd most want to be given a Mega Evolution. Feel free to add in any ideas you have for the designs.

Unova
Beartic (Quadruped, bigger and more threatening looking.)

Armored polar bear! Ice/Steel typing with Thick Fat ability.

Believe.

Muku

Asked for a Giratina on GTS earlier today. Unfortunately, I was looking for a normal one and got a shiny one instead. So if anyone is interested in a Shiny Giratina, let me know.

My adamant thundurus (who is also shiny :D) from my White game currently runs Wild charge / thunder wave / superpower / knock off, I'm debating using an ability capsule on him to give him defiant over prankster, but prankster gives the instant paralyze a boost.

Any opinions?

Also is Florges better for support? I'm thinking about running one for next month's competitions.
Defiant is its HA, you can't get it with the ability capsule.

Now that I got my 6IV feebas I need to dump a bazillion of the extras. So here's what I got if people are interested.

All have Haze/Iron Tail/Mirror Coat/Dragon Pulse and all are 5IV. The x meaning which stat is the missing IV

Bold / Oblivious:
Female / x HP
Male / x Def
Female / x Atk
Male / x HP

7 other Feebas with Swift Swim
24 other Feebas with Oblivious

Wichu

Does anyone have (or have access to) a Cacturne Friend Safari?

I'm looking for a female Water Absorb Cacturne in a Dusk Ball to use as a parent, but I seem to have accidentally deleted my Cacturne Safari :(

EDIT: Got one.

lupinko

I'm running a Naive Choice Scarf Landorus T right now with Earthquake/u-turn/grass knot/stone edge. This moveset is usually for the incarnate form, I'm debating whether or not to change this Landorus to Incarnate. Good idea or bad idea? Because it's from dream radar, incarnate will get sheer force.

Hobobloke

I'm running a Naive Choice Scarf Landorus T right now with Earthquake/u-turn/grass knot/stone edge. This moveset is usually for the incarnate form, I'm debating whether or not to change this Landorus to Incarnate. Good idea or bad idea? Because it's from dream radar, incarnate will get sheer force.

I used to run a scarfed Lando T in singles and it was great for getting momentum and helped create a strong VoltTurn core with the intimidate support it provides. I'd say keep it but maybe think about getting rid of grass knot and going with an all physical set.

lupinko

I used to run a scarfed Lando T in singles and it was great for getting momentum and helped create a strong VoltTurn core with the intimidate support it provides. I'd say keep it but maybe think about getting rid of grass knot and going with an all physical set.

Good idea, but what can I replace it with? I don't have access to superpower since that's a move tutor move. Grass Knot just gives me coverage really.

Hobobloke

Good idea, but what can I replace it with? I don't have access to superpower since that's a move tutor move. Grass Knot just gives me coverage really.

I was running Knock Off, you can normally spam that if you're unsure of who they'll switch in and don't feel like u-turning, nobody likes losing their item.

EDIT: Also for the speed EV's you won't need max, only need 220 to outspeed +1 Adamant Char X which is pretty important, if you want to go further and outspeed plus speed nature base 90's with a scarf or at +1 you'll need 240 though.

A bit of a delay, since I was busy, but massive thanks to Lupinko for hooking me up with a Jirachi.

jirachi.png

Also managed to trade for a Victini, Keldeo and Meloetta. My legendary collection is finally starting to take shape ^^

Firestorm

Yes, there is obviously a reason those Pokémon are the Top 12, but using them is just so blah and lacks both originality and creativity.

And you forget who you're talking to here. I come up with great strategies while being unique with my choices. Just because I don't want to use the same stuff everyone else is does not mean I'm doing things wrong.
No but calling someone as "lacking originality and creativity" because the sprite is one you've seen a lot is shallow and somewhat insulting to the players who display a great degree of creativity. There's more to a Pokemon than its name and image. That's the beauty of the battle system in this franchise - the level of customization there is past what meets the eye.

Alchemy

So I ended up either 41-19 or 42-18. Had a disconnect win before my final match then forgot my total record. Good (if at times very frustrating) experience, but now I feel like I'm back to square one with my team. Has a low ceiling for success and some bad match ups, but I need to rebuild it completely to make improvements.

Now begins the mental dance of trying to come up with a new strategy.

GulAtiCa

I finally caught Zapdos. Man that was annoying.. Getting the other two via trade is going to be tough. Esp since I'm OCD on always keeping 1 of each Pokemon, at least for more rare Pokemon anyways. Will have to hope someone wants something less than a legendary. heh

Also started the Poke Radar chain stuff today, this is tough! I keep messing up the chain. Getting a shiny pokemon would help a lot in getting those legendaries.

I finally caught Zapdos. Man that was annoying.. Getting the other two via trade is going to be tough. Esp since I'm OCD on always keeping 1 of each Pokemon, at least for more rare Pokemon anyways. Will have to hope someone wants something less than a legendary. heh

Also started the Poke Radar chain stuff today, this is tough! I keep messing up the chain. Getting a shiny pokemon would help a lot in getting those legendaries.

If you don't mind where they come from, you could upload Vivillons or Scatterbugs to GTS. That was what I was recommended and I got my legendary birds (plus Yveltal) this way.

lupinko

I was running Knock Off, you can normally spam that if you're unsure of who they'll switch in and don't feel like u-turning, nobody likes losing their item.

EDIT: Also for the speed EV's you won't need max, only need 220 to outspeed +1 Adamant Char X which is pretty important, if you want to go further and outspeed plus speed nature base 90's with a scarf or at +1 you'll need 240 though.

Knock off is a move tutor move, unlike the other Dream Radar Landoruses I can generate, the current one I'm already using is in XY. So no move tutor moves.

It's already completely EV trained too. I can always do a different Landorus T in the future, this current one is stuck as it is, and Landorus I looks like the only option at the moment for it.

That or I keep it as T with the I's moveset.

Edit: reading about it, sheer force does not have any negative effects on any of my Landorus' moveset. And it's currently not in a weather team so the lost of Sand Force isn't that bad. So I'll give this Naive Incarnate forme a chance unless there are stronger suggestions for the Therian forme with its current move set or moves attainable in XY.

Edit: thanks for the suggestion tho, but I think Id be better off getting another Landorus and giving it move tutor moves in my W2 game. Lol I haven't even caught him in my W1 yet, haha.

Final edit: actually I can salvage this Naive Landorus T choice scarf set. Currently 252 Atk 252 speed with 6 hp.

My options are:

Landorus I / sheer force - u turn / grass knot / earthquake / stone edge. Move the remaining EVs from hp to spA. But a special set benefits more from sheer force and this doesn't have sand force to take advantage of the earth boosts. Also I don't plan on using any sandstorm strats in the near future.

Landorus T / intimidate - u turn / earthquake / stone edge, now because this doesn't have hidden power ice (hopefully my next landoruses do), I'm using grass knot at the moment with the remaining EVs in hp. Now a better suggestion would be to go all physical and I agree definitely. The best being superpower but because this was rushed to X from B2, I don't have access to move tutors (until ORAS that is hopefully).

So the only options are Hammer Arm, Brick Break, Rock Slide or Punishment. That or just keep grass knot as it is great for groudon, swampert, Azumarill.

So either the 6 EVs in hp or spA.

Or leave everything the way it is!

Suggestions?

GulAtiCa

Yup, you'd be surprised what people are willing to give up for scatterbugs and vivillons lol.

People really like those Pokemon? Or, are those used to get the hacked versions? (Assuming X/Y has haxed Pokemon now) Or are they just rare normally? (I've caught them early on, so I forget how common or rare they are)

People really like those Pokemon? Or, are those used to get the hacked versions? (Assuming X/Y has haxed Pokemon now)

The quest for all vivillon patterns fetch for stupidly high prices and a lot of dedication.

As for hacked pokemon, there are probably a few, but nowhere close to the previous gens as the methods used in the old gens don't work in XY. Kalos born pokemon you're like 98% safe it's legit.

If it's not kalos born then it's 50/50. However hacked most probably mean generated instead of being completely illegal. Pokebank shuts out 99% of that, there are some that may leak through but if it was a major problem it would be known by now.

GulAtiCa

The quest for all vivillon patterns fetch for stupidly high prices and a lot of dedication.

As for hacked pokemon, there are probably a few, but nowhere close to the previous gens as the methods used in the old gens don't work in XY. Kalos born pokemon you're like 98% safe it's legit.
Thanks for the notice! I'll start going after the vivillon pokemon. Now that it's mentioned, I do remember vivillon being wanted for a few trades.

Here's hoping my current vivillon is female. Would make things easier. lol

Growlie19

I also was in the May competition, but finals week limited my playtime. I'm 14-6 right now and I might to some more battles later, but I gotta study soon. If you see me online, I run Espeon, Hawlucha, Mega Absol, Rhydon, Roserade, and Chandelure. I almost always use the first 3 with the latter 3 as a wild card depending on the opponents. Rhydon for Talonflame/Trick Room, Roserade for Azumarill or Rotom, and Chandelure for physical attackers and steels. Some interesting things I've seen:

Mow-Rotom
level 15 Mega Lucario and 44 Lapras
Thick Fat Azumarill (I think, its Aqua Jet barely dented Hawlucha)
Garchomp Crunching Hawlucha with Espeon on the field.
Male Meowstic's Swagger missing his partner Bisharp (saved me right there)

Alright, now breeding Snorunts with Avalanche/Hex/Spikes/Disable

So glad one of my confragrius from B2 had Hex and Disable, made life so much easier.

Top Bottom