• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT4| Don't Bank On It

Mmm... finished training my competitive Vivillons donated by everybody.

Now I have a Level 50 Monsoon, Meadow, Marine, Polar, Ocean and Icy Snow; enough for a battle team lol.

Still hoping for a Tundra one day though.

I wish the different patterns had different types or at least learned (more) moves of those types. For example:

Meadow - Psychic/Fairy
Sandstorm - Ground/Rock
Polar - Ice/Water
Tundra/IcySnow - Ice
Modern - Fire
Sun - Fire/Electric
Ocean - Water/Fire
Marine - Water
River - Water/Ground
Jungle - Grass/Rock
Garden - Grass
Elegant - Poison/Ghost
Continental - Electric/Ground
Savanna - Grass/Electric
Archipelago/HighPlains - Rock/Fighting
Monsoon - Steel/Dark

Macka

Yeah. I've slowed down a bit, though, working on another project, but need to get back into the Vivillon trading lol. The pattern is based on the game they come from. So, a scatterbug from my X will become Icy Snow no matter where it evolves. No matter what pattern the parents, if a game has Garden pattern, all Scatterbug born there will be Garden Vivillon.

The region setting is taken from your 3DS when the save is first started, so it gets locked in, but it's possible to manipulate your pattern by changing your 3DS's region before starting a game. Sadly, the regions you can select are decided to an extent by the actual region of the device. So some patterns are off limits for some regions, Monsoon is an example of an impossible pattern for NA 3DS's I believe.
Thanks for the info. Just evolved a Spewpa and I have the Modern pattern. I'm going to get to work on 5IV Female Timer Ball Moderns with the egg moves. What's the preferred ability? Compoundeyes is the best, but I know some people like to have the HA just because...

I can jump on, yeah. What did you want in exchange? I've only got 5IV in luxury balls to spare atm. I can breed another premier, but don't have time to do that right now.

I don't need anything right now. Maybe later : P

Also, IGN is GamerGuides in case it confuses anyone.

EDIT

Oh, I forgot one thing, although it's a bit too late now. Both Scatterbugs have Friend Guard as opposed to Compound Eyes.

Macka

If anyone has 5IV (-Atk) Timid/Modest Scatterbugs in fitting balls that they can keep in-egg, I'd love to trade. I have a LOT of stuff that I can breed. My spreadsheet is here.

I'm specifically after:

Female Modest Elegant (Compoundeyes) in Luxury Ball with Rage Powder.
Female Modest Meadow (Compoundeyes) in Heal Ball with Rage Powder.
Female Timid Garden (Compoundeyes) in Dusk Ball with Rage Powder.
Male Timid Icy Snow (Compoundeyes) in Premier Ball with Rage Powder.
Male Modest Marine (Compoundeyes) in Net Ball with Rage Powder.
Male Modest Tundra (Compoundeyes) in Dive Ball with Rage Powder.
Male Modest Jungle (Compoundeyes) in Nest Ball with Rage Powder.

By the way - Aveyn Knight. I'm sorry I never got back to you re; the Eevee! I got so busy and completely forgot. I'm still kind of traumatized when it comes to breeding Eevee's lol, but if you still want it I'll work on getting you one over the next day?

Seil

I don't need anything right now. Maybe later : P

Also, IGN is GamerGuides in case it confuses anyone.

EDIT

Oh, I forgot one thing, although it's a bit too late now. Both Scatterbugs have Friend Guard as opposed to Compound Eyes.

The 5IV one actually has Compound Eyes, but yeah I saw that. Thanks though.

By the way - Aveyn Knight. I'm sorry I never got back to you re; the Eevee! I got so busy and completely forgot. I'm still kind of traumatized when it comes to breeding Eevee's lol, but if you still want it I'll work on getting you one over the next day?

No worries; thanks for remembering at least ^^

Yup, I'm still interested as long as your sanity remains XD

I can still do female Yamask and male Feebas as you requested. I can add a male Chikorita too if you'd like (in a Nest Ball).

Macka

No worries; thanks for remembering at least ^^

Yup, I'm still interested as long as your sanity remains XD

I can still do female Yamask and male Feebas as you requested. I can add a male Chikorita too if you'd like (in a Nest Ball).
Sure, Nest Ball Chikorita sounds awesome :) I'll start working on the Eevee when I get home tonight. It's 7am here now so that's like 12 hours away. Once I start it *hopefully* won't take longer than a few hours.

Sure, Nest Ball Chikorita sounds awesome :) I'll start working on the Eevee when I get home tonight. It's 7am here now so that's like 12 hours away. Once I start it *hopefully* won't take longer than a few hours.

Awesome!

Just one thing: are you aiming for normal ability or hidden ability? I'm looking for normal ability for Volt Absorb ^^

Quick question, does anyone have any of these Pokemon?

Treecko/Grovyle/Sceptile
Seedot/Nuzleaf/Shiftry
Shroomish/Breloom
Anorith/Armaldo
Castform
Spheal/Sealeo/Walrein

If so, I'd love to trade for them. I can pull out virtually any Pokemon, though stats obviously are a crapshoot.

Treecko/Grovyle/Sceptile
Seedot/Nuzleaf/Shiftry
Shroomish/Breloom
Anorith/Armaldo
Castform
Spheal/Sealeo/Walrein

If so, I'd love to trade for them. I can pull out virtually any Pokemon, though stats obviously are a crapshoot.

I can catch you a Spheal real quick
*edit* I can give it a Claw Fossil to hold so you can revive an Anorith

Zing

Banned
I don't know what this signifies, but I am about 20 hours into the game and pretty much everything everyone has posted since I started reading this thread a couple weeks ago means nothing to me. It may as well be in a different language.

My FC is in my profile. Any specific gender/Pokeball for Spheal?

Already registered you. And nah, just gonna breed it out, evolve it, and toss it in the Bank until hell freezes over.

EDIT:
I don't know what this signifies, but I am about 20 hours into the game and pretty much everything everyone has posted since I started reading this thread a couple weeks ago means nothing to me. It may as well be in a different language.
From what I see, the only thing you need to know is all here:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Vivillon

Yes, PokeGAF has become flawless 5IV/perfect 6IV Vivillon crazy.

"Crazy" is the correct word.

Tell you what, playing in Japanese can sometimes throw me for a loop. I know some of the game from just knowing the words (like the stats, "kougeki" and "tokukou", etc), and some of it only by the kanji, which I've just learned to recognize, but don't -actually- know what the word itself is. This results in my having to switch the game back and forth from kana and kanji depending on what I'm doing.

Like for example, I knew the kanji for trade, but not that it was "koukan", so it took me a second to make sure that's what was going on haha.

Anyway, thank you very much NintendoPlaystation! That cuts quite a bit out of my list.

Treecko/Grovyle/Sceptile
Seedot/Nuzleaf/Shiftry
Shroomish/Breloom
Anorith/Armaldo
Castform
Spheal/Sealeo/Walrein

I have a Shroomish and Seedot I can spare right now and the rest I can breed.

lupinko

I have Modern!

I also have a spreadsheet of my other Pokemon here.

Yeah I can breed you both, did you want them in specific balls?

And I'd like a modern in a great ball, if you don't have the parent I can provide it for you to get that flawless 5iv timid or perfect 6iv.

Macka

Yeah I can breed you both, did you want them in specific balls?

And I'd like a modern in a great ball, if you don't have the parent I can provide it for you to get that flawless 5iv timid or perfect 6iv.
I don't have a Great Ball Female, so that would be awesome if you could trade a parent over to speed up the process.

As for me...I have some really specific requests that I don't know if you could do?

5IV (-Atk) Female Modest Elegant (Compoundeyes) in Luxury Ball with Rage Powder.
5IV (-Atk) Male Modest/Timid Polar (Compoundeyes) in Dive Ball with Rage Powder.

Is there any chance you could keep them in the egg for me? I want to hatch them under my OT. Also it doesn't seem fair that you give me two while I'm only giving you one so was there anything from my spreadsheet that I posted above that caught your eye?

lupinko

Thats a bit of work to transfer eggs since there's no guarantee that the egg will have the requested stats.

I can breed the balls with egg moves, the least amount of work would be all timid since I already have a mass produced line for it.

But if you don't mind waiting I can do your request, it's just going to take longer as opposed to me using all the timid scatters I already have.

I'll look at your list but I already have a completed dex (and iirc a living dex), and in a week or so my dex will hit 719.

Edit: I'll take a tentacool for the egg moves.

Macka

Thats a bit of work to transfer eggs since there's no guarantee that the egg will have the requested stats.

I can breed the balls with egg moves, the least amount of work would be all timid since I already have a mass produced line for it.

But if you don't mind waiting I can do your request, it's just going to take longer as opposed to me using all the timid scatters I already have.
I'm happy to wait!

JoeM86

Look what's live

Br8ADwmIYAAW0th.png:large

Bah, decent at best with good speed...and quiet nature. Can I soft-reset these? (I know it will be nothing outstanding but I can do better than that)

Muku

Bah, decent at best with good speed...and quiet nature. Can I soft-reset these? (I know it will be nothing outstanding but I can do better than that)

Yeah. As long as you saved before getting it. First time trying to get specific nature. I assume you have to save before picking it up, rather than just starting up and trying each time. IVs I don't care about on this thing because they're going to be shit, but I'll be damned I should have taken the Modest one.

Edit: Complain to GAF, get what you want. Next one up is Modest again. xD Going to take it. Least on my JPN copy I got a Timid.

Zing

Banned
I went to holo caster and still just see the same three in-game messages that have been there since the first few hours of the game. Maybe it's under a different menu?

Question:

If I evolve Pikachu, will he stop learning new moves upon levelling up? I was curious what made him evolve, and based on the charts I saw, he gains no new abilities as Raichu. Is this correct?

I went to holo caster and still just see the same three in-game messages that have been there since the first few hours of the game. Maybe it's under a different menu?

Are you checking the Holo Caster from the PSS? That's where you're sent promotional news.

x-drake

Neo Member
Hey guys, has anyone got a froakie with protean, or its evo in your friend safari?

Pm me, if you have one to spare. Just completed the game and I'm starting IV breeding and ev training.

Seil

If I evolve Pikachu, will he stop learning new moves upon levelling up? I was curious what made him evolve, and based on the charts I saw, he gains no new abilities as Raichu. Is this correct?

Correct, no more level up moves for Raichu. Some stone evolutions have this limitation, some don't. Even when they don't, the pre-evolution can often learn some moves the evolution cannot.

Zing

Banned
You don't evolve Pikachu.
What's wrong with you.
I am actually trying to figure out why someone would evolve it if it never learns any new moves. I assume it gains some stat boosts or something? Maybe a different natural ability (or whatever the in-game term is)? I guess this explains why the game (or is it the manual) mentions pressing B during an evolution to cancel the evolution. It vaguely mentions that you may want to keep it un-evolved so it will learn a different moveset. I didn't understand why you would ever not evolve a Pokemon or why you would want an un-evolved moveset. The whole concept of "evolution" is that the creature changes into a superior form.

How do they expect anyone to figure this stuff out? Are they assuming everyone has been playing this same game in an iterative series for 20 years? Or maybe they are okay with someone permanently relegating Raichu to "box 4" after he learns absolutely no new moves despite gaining 30 levels.

I am actually trying to figure out why someone would evolve it if it never learns any new moves. I assume it gains some stat boosts or something? Maybe a different natural ability (or whatever the in-game term is)? I guess this explains why the game (or is it the manual) mentions pressing B during an evolution to cancel the evolution. It vaguely mentions that you may want to keep it un-evolved so it will learn a different moveset. I didn't understand why you would ever not evolve a Pokemon or why you would want an un-evolved moveset. The whole concept of "evolution" is that the creature changes into a superior form.

How do they expect anyone to figure this stuff out? Are they assuming everyone has been playing this same game in an iterative series for 20 years? Or maybe they are okay with someone permanently relegating Raichu to "box 4" after he learns absolutely no new moves despite gaining 30 levels.

Raichu can still learn TM's. Most of them being moves that Pikachu learns anyways like Light Screen and Thunder....

lupinko

Question:

It's just mystery gift > internet.

When Pokemon evolve, they get stronger. 9 times out of 10, it's at least not terrible to do it when you can, because of both TM's and the fact that by the time you can evolve them, they will have learned most of their moves.

The evolution stones have that weird "limitation" sometimes because the evolution itself is "unnatural", and so the Pokemon, Iunno just can't learn anything else on its own.

You aren't expected to learn all of this. You aren't expected to figure everything out, and know how everything works. You're expected to experiment and try things and discover as you go. And then, once you have a really good idea of how it all works, -then- you start planning and researching and figuring everything out.

EDIT: My advice is to, instead of ever looking up anything ever at all, just play it. Don't overwhelm yourself, don't look up movesets, don't do any of that. Just get from point A, to point B. Maybe an occassional "how does X evolve into Y" here and there, but the game will take care of itself for you, if that makes any sense. Don't sweat over "Should I evolve Pikachu or keep him as is?", because I guarantee you that even if you do evolve him, you'll still be able to use moves as you go. Thunderbolt and Thunder are both TMs IIRC, and those are really the only two you should care about.
Just -play- the game, don't try and research it and catch up. You'll overwhelm yourself, I guarantee it.

lupinko

My JP-Y game has clocked nearly 60 hours already but only one badge. Lol

Whereas my NA-X is at or passed 430 hours. :x

Anyone have a female GTS Fancy Vivillon? Looks like two of the three are males, I haven't checked the third yet, actually I think I should first when I can.

But yeah if that third one is male I'll trade one for a female Timid and I'd trade a male with the nature you prefer.

7/7 or 7/8 date if possible.

Zing

Banned
When Pokemon evolve, they get stronger. 9 times out of 10, it's at least not terrible to do it when you can, because of both TM's and the fact that by the time you can evolve them, they will have learned most of their moves.

The evolution stones have that weird "limitation" sometimes because the evolution itself is "unnatural", and so the Pokemon, Iunno just can't learn anything else on its own.

You aren't expected to learn all of this. You aren't expected to figure everything out, and know how everything works. You're expected to experiment and try things and discover as you go. And then, once you have a really good idea of how it all works, -then- you start planning and researching and figuring everything out.

EDIT: My advice is to, instead of ever looking up anything ever at all, just play it. Don't overwhelm yourself, don't look up movesets, don't do any of that. Just get from point A, to point B. Maybe an occassional "how does X evolve into Y" here and there, but the game will take care of itself for you, if that makes any sense. Don't sweat over "Should I evolve Pikachu or keep him as is?", because I guarantee you that even if you do evolve him, you'll still be able to use moves as you go. Thunderbolt and Thunder are both TMs IIRC, and those are really the only two you should care about.
Just -play- the game, don't try and research it and catch up. You'll overwhelm yourself, I guarantee it.

I agree. I haven't been looking up anything. I did take a peek to see if there was a certain level Pikachu would evolve, because he is level 17 now and hadn't evolved yet like some others had. I have been able to buy the evolution stones (at least I thought that's what they were based on the game text) for quite a while now. It seemed odd that I could evolve Pikachu at level 15 and have him stuck with basically two moves for the whole game. To be honest, I forgot about TMs. I have a bunch, but only a few that give useable attacks and none are electric.

Speaking of that, I dropped 10k poke-dollars (whatever the currency is called) on a ground based attack, and then I discover that none of my ~15 Pokemon crew can learn it. I did eventually find a Litleo that could learn it.

I traded away my only Furfrou, then I discover the styling shop in Luminose, and spent half and hour to catch another one.

So many combinations of my party, that I spend so much time just training and preparing for travel, then I catch something new and want to use that as well. My new favourite is Inkay. Swagger combined with Foul Play kicked my ass so much, it feels good to use it against them now.

Top Bottom