• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT4| Don't Bank On It

JoeM86

superspeeddoublebattlebig.jpg

Region: International
Registration Period: July 31st 2014 - August 7th 2014
Battle Period: August 8th 2014 to August 11th 2014
Battle Type: Double Battle
Pokémon Restrictions: National Pokédex
Banned Pokémon: Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Celebi, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde, and Diancie, Pokémon not captured or hatched in X & Y
Entry Prize: 1000 PokéMiles

The Super Speed Double Battle! is a Double Battle tournament which runs similar to the previous Double Battle competitions, but with a difference: you don't see your opponent's team before the battle. This battle competition also has a specific twist where you only select 3 of the 6 Pokémon in your team. Battles have a time limit of 10 minutes, and a time limit of 15 seconds for each move.

superspeeddoublebattlebig.jpg

Region: International
Registration Period: July 31st 2014 - August 7th 2014
Battle Period: August 8th 2014 to August 11th 2014
Battle Type: Double Battle
Pokémon Restrictions: National Pokédex
Banned Pokémon: Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Celebi, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde, and Diancie, Pokémon not captured or hatched in X & Y
Entry Prize: 1000 PokéMiles

The Super Speed Double Battle! is a Double Battle tournament which runs similar to the previous Double Battle competitions, but with a difference: you don't see your opponent's team before the battle. This battle competition also has a specific twist where you only select 3 of the 6 Pokémon in your team. Battles have a time limit of 10 minutes, and a time limit of 15 seconds for each move.
Huh? So one is picked for you randomly?

Not seeing your opponents pokemon before battle also seems like a big disadvantage.

It's not random. You choose the 3 yourself.

The main reason to bring 6 is so you can change your trio mid-tournament if you feel that your current trio isn't working very well.

oh man I really want to get back into the competitive scene.

what does the metagame look like right now?

also if someone wants to teambuild with me that would be sweet

It's not random. You choose the 3 yourself.

The main reason to bring 6 is so you can change your trio mid-tournament if you feel that your current trio isn't working very well.
No no, I was asking if the fourth pokemon you need the battle is randomly chosen, since Doubles are 4v4. The wording also makes it sound like there are 3 pokemon total, but I doubt that.

oh man I really want to get back into the competitive scene.

what does the metagame look like right now?

also if someone wants to teambuild with me that would be sweet
Overall no big changes from gen V. Some pokemon got hurt from the type chart changes. Some pokemon loved it, Gengar especially. Weather is less prevalent. MGengar, MCharizard Y, MKangaskhan, Talonflame, and Aegislash are some new pokemon you will see a lot, among others.

No no, I was asking if the fourth pokemon you need the battle is randomly chosen, since Doubles are 4v4. The wording also makes it sound like there are 3 pokemon total, but I doubt that.

Overall no big changes from gen V. Some pokemon got hurt from the type chart changes. Some pokemon loved it, Gengar especially. Weather is less prevalent. MGengar, MCharizard Y, MKangaskhan, Talonflame, and Aegislash are some new pokemon you will see a lot, among others.

yeah, I was into it earlier in the year but I slipped from it. Is there like a list somewhere of viable pokemon other than the ones you listed?

? They said it was 3 Pokemon total when this was initially announced a while ago. Why would they change it back to 4v4?

You can also go to the Pokemon Global Link which will show you past battle competitions and the top 12 pokemon that were used in them. Has stats on a particular pokemon's moves that were used, abilities, top pokemon it was paired with, top pokemon that defeated it etc.
? They said it was 3 Pokemon total when this was initially announced a while ago. Why would they change it back to 4v4?
I must've missed it or forgotten about it completely because I thought this was new.

Anyone who's around: the Hong Kong Charizard Facebook event is now open!

The first 1000 people to message Nintendo HK with the right answer AND posts a Pokemon-related insight or memory on the event wall will receive a serial code for Charizard with its Mega Stone (only redeemable on a Japanese game).

X players get Charizard Y and vice versa. Basically GAME Charizard or Corocoro Charizard, but extra limited.

Instructions can be found here (and in more detail here).

Obviously, a Facebook account is required.

Disclaimer: I don't actually know if the first 1000 people definitely get a code or everyone has a chance of a code and only 1000 people get them.

Muku

Would be great, but guess it's all in Chinese. So I dunno what question is or how to answer it LOL.

Edit: Okay, used FBs (Bings) horrible translation. I'm assuming the silhouette of the Pokemon is the question we're to be answering...

JoeM86

Shiny Jirachi is only in Tohoku

====

New Battle Competitions

Pikachu Tournamentchu: August - This Battle Competition is a Triple Battle competition. In this Battle Competition, you have to use Pikachu and you have to use Pokémon that can evolve from the Kalos Pokédex. For example, you can't use Charizard, Kangaskhan or Tauros, but you can use Pokémon such as Charmander & Charmeleon

Diamond Storm: September - This Battle Competition requires you to use the Pokémon, Diancie, obtained from the movie, Diancie & The Cocoon of Destruction. It is a Double Battle Competition using the Kalos Pokédex

Fairy Garden: September - Previously announced, we now have details of this Battle Competition. It is a Single Battle competition and only allows Fairy-type Pokémon

Muku

Well.. Sendai is a bit far but fortunately we know someone here is up that way. ;)

On a side note: disappointed it's Tohoku only. Ugh. Why can't one here get anything cool that only it gets? -_-;

Shiny Jirachi is only in Tohoku

====

New Battle Competitions

Pikachu Tournamentchu: August - This Battle Competition is a Triple Battle competition. In this Battle Competition, you have to use Pikachu and you have to use Pokémon that can evolve from the Kalos Pokédex. For example, you can't use Charizard, Kangaskhan or Tauros, but you can use Pokémon such as Charmander & Charmeleon

Diamond Storm: September - This Battle Competition requires you to use the Pokémon, Diancie, obtained from the movie, Diancie & The Cocoon of Destruction. It is a Double Battle Competition using the Kalos Pokédex

Fairy Garden: September - Previously announced, we now have details of this Battle Competition. It is a Single Battle competition and only allows Fairy-type Pokémon
So a tournament about every other week from July through Sept.? Not sure if we'll get Diamond Storm though because I have no idea when we're getting Diancie. Don't see anything stopping us from getting Pikachu Tournamentchu though.

lupinko

Well.. Sendai is a bit far but fortunately we know someone here is up that way. ;)

On a side note: disappointed it's Tohoku only. Ugh. Why can't one here get anything cool that only it gets? -_-;

I'm getting three Shiny Jirachi! Thank you GF you are forgiven for blocking Shiny Wishmaker Jirachi.

Edit: I'm debating getting a US Y cart imported now to get four. Lol

I should also get a save backup thingy.

Muku

I'm getting three Shiny Jirachi! Thank you GF you are forgiven for blocking Shiny Wishmaker Jirachi.

Haha, yeah soon as he said Tohoku, I was thinking "Damn, that's perfect." Guess they blocked it because they wanna release it when they want to. :/ Glad it's finally getting released though.

Haha, if the Y cart is cheap I'd say go for it. Hell, even if it isn't I still probably would. I mean... Shiny Jirachi!!!

lupinko

Haha, yeah soon as he said Tohoku, I was thinking "Damn, that's perfect." Guess they blocked it because they wanna release it when they want to. :/ Glad it's finally getting released though.

Haha, if the Y cart is cheap I'd say go for it. Hell, even if it isn't I still probably would. I mean... Shiny Jirachi!!!

The US Y cart is about $50 from amazon.jp, it's more or less having the game bought and shipped from home. I'll buy it on payday.

Makes me wonder if that event was why Wishmaker/Channel* Jirachi was blocked in the first place.
*-Laugh (or cry) at Europe who had to get Pokemon channel for Jirachi.

I assume by save backup thingny you mean Powersaves. From my understanding those have region based DRM so you'll only be able to back up US or Japanese unless you buy 2 of them.

lupinko

Makes me wonder if that event was why Wishmaker/Channel* Jirachi was blocked in the first place.
*-Laugh (or cry) at Europe who had to get Pokemon channel for Jirachi.

I assume by save backup thingny you mean Powersaves. From my understanding those have region based DRM so you'll only be able to back up US or Japanese unless you buy 2 of them.

I would only farm my Japanese X cart, my two other games are both eshop, NA X and JP Y.

By the way, Tanabata Jirachi is not up for cloning, farming maybe but not cloning.

Lol I'll be Gaf's Wishmaker and Tanabata Jirachi farm it looks like it.

Would be great, but guess it's all in Chinese. So I dunno what question is or how to answer it LOL.

Edit: Okay, used FBs (Bings) horrible translation. I'm assuming the silhouette of the Pokemon is the question we're to be answering...

Yup, that's right.

I would have clarified a bit more, but I was really tired then.

Also, amazing news on all fronts!

Look what Joey has!

That's ace. Can you show a pic of the stat screen too? Interested in the movies, OT, ID, etc.

What would have been wrong with that? :p

Then there'd be no difference between them and the people trying to get the HK Zards are just waiting their time XD

Also, I just noticed: Japan's Poke Ball Vivillon is in a Poke Ball. I'm not sure how to feel (being an owner of the Paris one).

JoeM86

Nice, I just saw it on your site.

Don't let the hardcore event collectors know. They'll probably cry in the corner ;___;

The nickname issue will be hilarious.

So many tweets sent to me today complaining about events being mostly in Japan. One even said this was worse than "pay to win" games

The nickname issue will be hilarious.

So many tweets sent to me today complaining about events being mostly in Japan. One even said this was worse than "pay to win" games

Aww, I hadn't thought of that. Your site's so big, you'll obviously be seeing a lot of that kind of angst XD

I think I understand what Game Freak is doing, but in this age where it's super easy to get international news, they really ought to spread the event love a bit.

I assume it's too much effort for them to keep organising events all over the globe like what they do for Japan, but hey they could do monthly Internet gifts or *something* and not nothing.

Muku

Oh snap, Minato Mirai? Hm. Now that is right up my alley. Curious about how many named Pikachu there will be though. I could do a two-for-one. Hit up the PC for the Vivillon and hit up the park for Pikachu. Damn, now we're talking.

JoeM86

Aww, I hadn't thought of that. Your site's so big, you'll obviously be seeing a lot of that kind of angst XD

I think I understand what Game Freak is doing, but in this age where it's super easy to get international news, they really ought to spread the event love a bit.

I assume it's too much effort for them to keep organising events all over the globe like what they do for Japan, but hey they could do monthly Internet gifts or *something* and not nothing.

It's not Game Freak's fault. The Pokémon Company decides events for Japan, and places are willing to hold them.

It's up to Nintendo of America/Europe and the regional branches of TPCi to do the rest. They always do the major events, but for the smaller ones, context is often lost. Plus, places are less willing to hold events because they don't gain much traction. People don't go, there aren't huge crowds like there are in Japan, and most people just try and download from the car parks.

If more people went to events in the US and Europe, there would be more events. It's as simple as that. In Japan, huge lines occur for just a simple Snivy event, whereas here, nobody would care. They just complain and say "Give us Diancie" "A Charizard event? Pointless." etc.

It's not Game Freak's fault. The Pokémon Company decides events for Japan, and places are willing to hold them.

It's up to Nintendo of America/Europe and the regional branches of TPCi to do the rest. They always do the major events, but for the smaller ones, context is often lost. Plus, places are less willing to hold events because they don't gain much traction. People don't go, there aren't huge crowds like there are in Japan, and most people just try and download from the car parks.

If more people went to events in the US and Europe, there would be more events. It's as simple as that. In Japan, huge lines occur for just a simple Snivy event, whereas here, nobody would care. They just complain and say "Give us Diancie" "A Charizard event? Pointless." etc.

I don't disagree with you there and I actually had considered all of that : P

Hence why I mentioned the possibility of Wi-Fi gifts at the very end. That would solve most of the issues, I believe.

Before people go "Hey, that's not fair! We have to queue up in Japan, while everyone else can just download them at home.", there is precedence (not sure if in Pokemon) for different treatment due to different values (I'm thinking of this game where it was paid online in Japan and free online in the West).

If they can roll out all these unique and interesting Battle Competitions, I'm sure they could organise alternate distributions if they really wanted to. But sadly, there probably isn't enough for them to gain in doing so : (

EDIT

We also have Nintendo of Hong Kong trying their first Facebook event. Presumably few people turned up for their local Pokemon events (what? Nintendo exists in Hong Kong!?), but organising a Facebook event probably costs less and the turnout so far has probably surpassed their expectations (for the wrong reasons, which I hope they'll notice).

JoeM86

I don't disagree with you there and I actually had considered all of that : P

Hence why I mentioned the possibility of Wi-Fi gifts at the very end. That would solve most of the issues, I believe.

Before people go "Hey, that's not fair! We have to queue up in Japan, while everyone else can just download them at home.", there is precedence (not sure if in Pokemon) for different treatment due to different values (I'm thinking of this game where it was paid online in Japan and free online in the West).

If they can roll out all these unique and interesting Battle Competitions, I'm sure they could organise alternate distributions if they really wanted to. But sadly, there probably isn't enough for them to gain in doing so : (

EDIT

We also have Nintendo of Hong Kong trying their first Facebook event. Presumably few people turned up for their local Pokemon events (what? Nintendo exists in Hong Kong!?), but organising a Facebook event probably costs less and the turnout so far has probably surpassed their expectations (for the wrong reasons, which I hope they'll notice).

They can do WiFi distributions, sure, but they lack the feeling of being an event. It's just there, you download, and it's done.

The idea behind the events is for people to get together and play Pokémon.

Muku

I find in States it's difficult to get folks together to play Pokemon for an event. Well, versus here. Yeah, many want to get the event from their car or whatever, but generally the places that have them are far out. And public transportation isn't like it is here. I can't say at events at the PC here I've seen folks really stick around long. Maybe look at the merchandise, but the kids that tend to stick around are playing on their phones or other games.

They can do WiFi distributions, sure, but they lack the feeling of being an event. It's just there, you download, and it's done.

The idea behind the events is for people to get together and play Pokémon.

Aww, that is true. Still, it's an improvement over nothing : P

I think Fancy Vivillon was a good start; the Hong Kong Charizard too. It's not as atmospheric as a local event, sure, but it's more involved than just a download.

But if I really knew how to fix the problem, I wouldn't be still sitting here XD

Well, I guess it's back to farming what events I do have and hoping other players are interested.

So, um, any of you guys want an incredibly awesome GAME Charizard with its MEGA STONE! for your, uh, pretty cool Shiny Jirachi?
What, you've already got it from Corocoro?

Muku

Man, not going to even lie... I wish I could hook my JPN X to my US Pokebank. I like trading Monsoon on my main game, and doing it through Pokebank would save so much time. (Sandstorms on Y make it an easy transfer, but these Monsoon, I swear...)

JoeM86

Man, not going to even lie... I wish I could hook my JPN X to my US Pokebank. I like trading Monsoon on my main game, and doing it through Pokebank would save so much time. (Sandstorms on Y make it an easy transfer, but these Monsoon, I swear...)

You can. I hook my English X up to my Japanese Bank all the time.

Unless it's download...

lupinko

Yeah there's no region lock with Bank, why TPC knows this and Nintendo does is beyond me. Also Dream Radar doesn't have region lock.

Top Bottom