• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Shuffle |OT| Every Day I'm Shuffling

llehuty

Reached Mega Glalie.
Will try once I get my 5 moves back and see if it's as hard as people say.

Also, I'm 7 hours in so far with nothing bought / no gem used, and have cleared 120 stages with 105 mons captured.

I feel like the catch rate and catchability are actually pretty reasonable, but it just might be dumb luck.

120 stages? but mega-mawile is stage 90. Also, I guess you are quite good doing extra stages since you must have got all of them with those numbers. I'm impressed.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I just downloaded this and love it, But those 5 hearts are gone WAY too quick. :(

E: Is there any purpose to replaying stages you've already cleared and caught the Pokemon in?

Loptous

120 stages? but mega-mawile is stage 90. Also, I guess you are quite good doing extra stages since you must have got all of them with those numbers. I'm impressed.
I already beat Mega Mawile (with 2 tries)
Ampharos took 3 tries.
Glalie is number 120 I believe.

I haven't played the EX stages much actually (only played and beat the first 4 so far.)

Lol, I think I have a problem. I was staring at my desktop at work and noticed a line of 4 Excel Documents with a Visio doc in the center.

I tried to drag another word doc to replace the VIsio to make a line of 5 match.

WTF?

I swear every streetpass "recent game" at uni is this game now. Wtf.
All according to keikaku (it will be interesting to see what it is like in a month of so time, whenever people are practically complete on it). Also:
"You've passed more than 3 people playing the same game, would you like to go to the eShop?" (No but I would like to turn this prompt off)

Juni_

I just realized that there are no dual type pokemon in this game. I feel like that's a missed opportunity to give the game more depth.

Loptous

I'm going to eat my words back because Mega Glalie is pretty terrifying.
Probably a better idea to start the EX stages, S-rank and catch some previous mons, and see if the extra exp will help later on...

I just realized that there are no dual type pokemon in this game. I feel like that's a missed opportunity to give the game more depth.
Yeah, I would have liked to see that in Trozei too.

Are you spending coins to reduce the difficulty or add more moves? I'm at Stage 84 vs Petalil and I've only tried out two EX stages. Both times I didn't even come close to winning.

zroid

Banned
Are you spending coins to reduce the difficulty or add more moves? I'm at Stage 84 vs Petalil and I've only tried out two EX stages. Both times I didn't even come close to winning.

keep the chain going. that's the trick.

the gameplay of the EX stages bears very little resemblance to the main stages.

I'm not even sure if it's worth using megas, it just slows you down imo

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

I'm only on stage like, 12...I cleared the first EX stage relatively easily with no bonuses. Just lots and lots of matches.

keep the chain going. that's the trick.

the gameplay of the EX stages bears very little resemblance to the main stages.

I'm not even sure if it's worth using megas, it just slows you down imo

What do you mean keep the chain going? Do you hunt and peck at which matches will work the best (like the normal stages) or do you just go crazy with the stylus and hope things match up? I feel like playing the normal stages has made me unable to play the EX stages as efficiently as I need to win!

zroid

Banned
What do you mean keep the chain going? Do you hunt and peck at which matches will work the best (like the normal stages) or do you just go crazy with the stylus and hope things match up? I feel like playing the normal stages has made me unable to play the EX stages as efficiently as I need to win!

You don't have to hope, you just need to keep moving pieces as fast as you can. There's no requirement that every swap has to lead to a match so you can move stuff around as much as you want.

iphys

Can't you just use the home menu and go to the notes section and take your sweet time?

Just tried EX3 vs Lucario wanting to use Lvl 1 Mega Slowbro, Lvl 1 Meowstic, Lvl 1 Meowstic, and Lvl 1 Umbreon. My plan was to have them all pump up the Mega Gauge. Unfortunately, I set the team and then put my 3DS into sleep mode. When my heart meter refilled I opened the 3DS and went straight into the level without checking my team. It had inexplicably switched to Mega Slowbro, Azumaril, Chatot, and Swellow. This has happened to me a few times, where returning from sleep causes my team to be re-ordered. I always hit Optimize when I look at a new level, then customize my team from there. This bug seems to return the team to the optimized version. Has anyone else experienced this?

Also, I lost. There was maybe 5% left on Lucario's bar. I definitely tried to go fast without doing a deep scan of the board. Was still very rough. I hope my Psychic team fares better in half an hour.

Can't you just use the home menu and go to the notes section and take your sweet time?

This seems like cheating.
When I am heartless cheating become an attractive option.

Kouriozan

Soon...

zlCfzTC8vMY5elCmEh

Yeah, that Togekiss stage was a pain, finished with 0 moves left T-T

Draxal

Any tips on leveling? Like, when does it become worth it (if ever) to use that 1.5x EXP boost?

I wouldn't use the 1.5x EXP boost, I'd save gold for some of the later hard stages where the +5 timer seems to help a ton (mega Mawile at stage 90 seems to be the big chopping block).

Ugh, I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. Used my Psychic team to fight Lucario and failed at 5% life again. I stupidly used a jewel to get 15 seconds and finally won. Of course, he has a 1% catch rate...
I didn't catch him.

I just don't know how I'm supposed to bet these levels under the time limits. It doesn't make sense to me unless people have overpowered pokemon that they've grinded out, which doesn't seem to be the case.

Edit:
Just tried Blaziken with a Water team and I barely did 25%. I think I'll just have to give up on the EX stages. I don't see how I can beat them.

aka_bueno

Ugh, I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. Used my Psychic team to fight Lucario and failed at 5% life again. I stupidly used a jewel to get 15 seconds and finally won. Of course, he has a 1% catch rate...
I didn't catch him.

I just don't know how I'm supposed to bet these levels under the time limits. It doesn't make sense to me unless people have overpowered pokemon that they've grinded out, which doesn't seem to be the case.

Edit:
Just tried Blaziken with a Water team and I barely did 25%. I think I'll just have to give up on the EX stages. I don't see how I can beat them.

Just have a few Pokemon at levels 2 or 3+ with type advantages and create your own match combos. And it'll help a lot of the Pokemon your bringing dont have weak base attacks. I usually try to bring only Pokemon with base attacks of 60 or 70 if I have them (the weaker ones have a 50 base attack).

Also, unlike in normal mode, in EX your moves don't have to be a match 3 in order to stick. So this allows you to move units anywhere you want on the grid, use this to your advantage!

Try setting up match 4's and 5's instead of 3's by placing Pokemon in pairs separated by a different Pokemon in the middle, then match the middle Pokemon and boom easy match 5.

So move Pokemon into something like this XXOXX, then replace the O with another X. Also you can match stuff while a previous match is doing damage and getting erased off the board. Just gotta constantly be making combos, don't wait for one combo to finish before making another. If you're thinking or looking around too much, then you'll probably lose. Kinda just gotta go for it!

That said, the EX stages ARE hard. It took me like 2 tries to capture Blastoise and another 5 to capture Charizard. I beat them every time, but the low catch rate was ugh!

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
What the best thing to spend coins on to beat a stage?
I'm willing to spend on Mega Glalie at this point.

Why would you jump to level 12 though? Those later levels are obviously very difficult.

I had a pretty good team and really wanted that Blaziken. Thought I would give it a shot just to see what it would be like. DIdn't expect to only do 25%!

Just have a few Pokemon at levels 2 or 3+ with type advantages and create your own match combos. And it'll help a lot of the Pokemon your bringing dont have weak base attacks. I usually try to bring only Pokemon with base attacks of 60 or 70 if I have them (the weaker ones have a 50 base attack).

Also, unlike in normal mode, in EX your moves don't have to be a match 3 in order to stick. So this allows you to move units anywhere you want on the grid, use this to your advantage!

Try setting up match 4's and 5's instead of 3's by placing Pokemon in pairs separated by a different Pokemon in the middle, then match the middle Pokemon and boom easy match 5.

So move Pokemon into something like this XXOXX, then replace the O with another X. Also you can match stuff while a previous match is doing damage and getting erased off the board. Just gotta constantly be making combos, don't wait for one combo to finish before making another. If you're thinking or looking around too much, then you'll probably lose. Kinda just gotta go for it!

That said, the EX stages ARE hard. It took me like 2 tries to capture Blastoise and another 5 to capture Charizard. I beat them every time, but the low catch rate was ugh!

Wow thanks! Setting up match-5s really helped. I decided to start at the beginning and managed to beat and capture Absol. If I could name him I would name him Bueno.

Dryk

The latter event ends tomorrow which means I probably missed a bunch of exclusives? Hm, it says 'The Daily Pokemon #1' so maybe I can still get them. This timer, though..
Having missable Pokemon show up as blank spaces in the Pokemon list is really frustrating. It's bad enough when they do it in the main Pokemon games.

Chrom

I click on the daily Pokemon and it still says daily number 1??

I noticed that and am wondering if maybe, for future events, there may be more than one daily event Pokémon on a given day. The #1 would make more sense that way, even if it's currently redundant as it is right now.

adroit

So how does the Eject skill work? Corsola (86) and Marshtomp (96) have this skill. Description says "Removes one non-Support Pokémon icon without fail." I assumed this meant that every time you make a match with that Pokémon, one of the "enemy" Pokémon on the board would be removed. Nope. Not even when the match is adjacent to an enemy Pokémon.

I'm guessing now that "without fail" doesn't mean every time you make a match. The Pokémon still has to choose to activate the skill (which never seems to happen) and only then will it remove an enemy without fail.

Essentially worthless? Essentially worthless. Or am I missing something?

Thanks

zroid

Banned
So how does the Eject skill work? Corsola (86) and Marshtomp (96) have this skill. Description says "Removes one non-Support Pokémon icon without fail." I assumed this meant that every time you make a match with that Pokémon, one of the "enemy" Pokémon on the board would be removed. Nope. Not even when the match is adjacent to an enemy Pokémon.

I'm guessing now that "without fail" doesn't mean every time you make a match. The Pokémon still has to choose to activate the skill (which never seems to happen) and only then will it remove an enemy without fail.

Essentially worthless? Essentially worthless. Or am I missing something?

Thanks

I don't know I was using Corsola against Heat Rotom earlier today and it seemed to work

adroit

I don't know I was using Corsola against Heat Rotom earlier today and it seemed to work
OK, thanks. I was using Marshtomp against stage 85, Dedenne (Electric type). I only have two Ground-type 'mon so Marshtomp was filling in the fourth slot in the team. Matching Marshtomp didn't remove any Dedenne from the playfield.

Kouriozan

Aaaaand done!

zlCfzTC-KHs4a83XRG

Now to catch them all, get S rank and repeat that in the EX stages.

My stats so far :

zlCfzTC-L5UwLPZ466

Can anyone give me tips on how to beat Mega Mawile? I've been stuck on that Pokemon for days...

Disrupt delay is incredibly powerful, combining that with moves +5 managed me to pass every hard Mega stages.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So I tried to catch Mew, caught it in the first Pokéball with 22%. :|

Though using Mew to trash Treecko and finally catching the bastard, I ain't complaining.

Hachitora

Should I try to catch every pokemon before I advance, or should I just aim to beat the stages and come back later? I feel like I'm moving a bit too slow compared to what I've read on here =w=

Also, took me forever to catch Ivysaur, finally caught it with a 7% catch rate. This game

adroit

Should I try to catch every pokemon before I advance, or should I just aim to beat the stages and come back later? I feel like I'm moving a bit too slow compared to what I've read on here =w=
Your choice. So far I've caught before moving on (I'm on stage 87). But being flexible is probably the better policy. If you can't catch a Pokémon, you might pick up one later which will give you an advantage when you go back and retry the one you skipped.

like are you supposed to be able to beat mega glalie without spending coins? :|

some of the other megas that stumped me, i at least got a good chunk out of them and just needed a little push to win

but i'm barely making it to the halfway point in mega glalie's HP bar before i run out of turns. 5 more turns does nothing.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Dénouement;153561470 said:

some of the other megas that stumped me, i at least got a good chunk out of them and just needed a little push to win

but i'm barely making it to the halfway point in mega glalie's HP bar before i run out of turns. 5 more turns does nothing.
I haven't beat it yet, but a turning point definitely appears when the board gets refreshed after no moves can be made. So luck?

Slermy

This actually trips me up quite a bit when picking Super Effective Pokémon.

Yes, I realize I can just hit "Optimize"

Elija2

Dénouement;153561470 said:

The game always gives me Mega Mawile to use when I optimize for that level, but I find that Mega Mawile does a shitty job of clearing the ice blocks. Try using Mega Lopunny or Kangaskhan instead.

Boogiepop

What's the solution to the Haxorus stage? Mildly confused as to how to approach it, but there should be a set solution, yeah?

Edit: Never mind, think I got it. Now I just need to wait for a heart to come back.

Top Bottom