• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon X Pokemon Y |OT| Gotta Catch em All...NOW IN 3D!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dartastic

Are female starters rare in this game? Have they always been rare? I always thought it was a 50-50 chance.

Also, can someone remind me why having female is important? Does female pass on abilities or species to its offspring? I'm pretty sure it was one of those two.
I'm just wondering if there is a guide to raising Pokemon in general. I haven't really paid much attention to those stats and such, and as I have friends that are going to be playing this time I want to make sure that my Pokemonz are bETTERR.RRRRRR.

I have a friend who is added on my friends list (we both added each other) but isn't showing up on my pokemon friends list thing. Anyone have any idea why?

KHlover

Banned
Are female starters rare in this game? Have they always been rare? I always thought it was a 50-50 chance.

Also, can someone remind me why having female is important? Does female pass on abilities or species to its offspring? I'm pretty sure it was one of those two.
IIRC the chance to encounter female pokemon is 12.5%

Pretty low.

Is there a list of the differences between X and Y? I got both last night at gamestop because of sudden, random madness so now I want to know exactly what is different between them. Started with X so I imagine I'll give Y to my sister or something of that nature. What's the connectivity if any?

Kinokou

Question:

Is it confirmed that you can change both skin and eye colour after you start the game?

you get contacts, don't know about skin since I'm stuck with Platan

You know, I've never bred before, so I don't even know where to start.

bulbapedia has a section on it. it's fairly easy.

females are around 12, and they pass species and dream world abilities.

Berordn

Is there a list of the differences between X and Y? I got both last night at gamestop because of sudden, random madness and what exactly is different between them. Started with X so I imagine I'll give Y to my sister or something of that nature. What's the connectivity if any?

Pokemon availability, mostly. The Pokemon on the covers are one-off and exclusive to their respective games (for now, anyway), but you can trade for the rest.

Sorian

Banned
I'm kind of ignorant when it comes to this nature thing. I've played games where they have been there and I've just kind of ignored them but I actually want to be involved in the whole meta game this time. With that being said, should I be looking at specific natures for my chespin, torchic, and squirtle? I know via trades I'd have options at more than one but I figure I should just try to get them right the first time.

Just showing off what I picked up today from Gamestop (yes of course it's all Pokemon)

BWZPykfCYAALwZo.jpg:large

Haven't gotten around to starting it yet but probably will soon!

Pretty impressed at the line at started to build at Gamestop this morning. There wasn't a midnight opening so people just started showing up after it opened and the line kept getting longer and longer too.

For anyone who has this game already: How are Flebebe and Floette's stats compared to the rest of your team? Do you think its a good pokemon to have for your in-game team?

I'm just wondering if there is a guide to raising Pokemon in general. I haven't really paid much attention to those stats and such, and as I have friends that are going to be playing this time I want to make sure that my Pokemonz are bETTERR.RRRRRR.

I have some advice in this regard. I haven't gotten to touch the new EV training system, but pretty early on you'll notice your pokemon has strengths. Charmander's fast with relatively high sp attack for example(and his attack stat is no slouch either). Moves specify whether they use special attack or attack.

Also, you're going to want to have a solid, VARIED attack line up on your guys, and maybe even a status move. I used to just line my guys with same type attacks, and only attacks. It's not a great plan

yami4ct

Started my Y download last night and just got to starting it earlier today. Haven't spent that much time with the game so far, but here are my early thoughts.

-3D world looks gorgeous. It's weird to be able to run diagonally, though.
-Pokemon Amie is really interesting. Wonder if it'll have any real effect besides being
Sylveon's evo method
. Mini games are cute.
-Super training is a good step forward in that it at least gives you a visual representation of EVs. Would still prefer to have the numbers completely visible.
-Super training is neat for early game, but seems like Pokerus+Power item random battles might still be faster late game. Will need to see more Super Training to be sure
-IVs are still a load of crap.
-Nice distribution of pokemon in the early areas. Just between your start town and the first town with the gym, there's a crap ton of different species to capture.
-New species distribution is quite low, but they all fit right in. I like what I've seen so far in game.

So far, so good. Most of my time has been sadly spent resetting for my female Fenniken (though that only took like a half a dozen times) and my Jolly Torchic (took forever). Probably won't spend too much more time today, but feels like a great step forward for the franchise.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Got the game yesterday played Wind Waker all day today.

That's how I roll!

Of course come Monday it will be back to Pokémon on the journey to and from work.

But yesterday I did beat the first gym. Regarding the first gym (spoiler just in case)

Once you drop down the hole if there really no way out? I did beat it, but found that aspect to be quite cruel for the first challenge in the game. Of course I could have been really dumb.

That's how I roll!

Of course come Monday it will be back to Pokémon on the journey to and from work.

But yesterday I did beat the first gym. Regarding the first gym (spoiler just in case)

Once you drop down the hole if there really no way out? I did beat it, but found that aspect to be quite cruel for the first challenge in the game. Of course I could have been really dumb.

You have to follow a certain path to get out before reaching Viola

Kinokou

I can now answer my own question. All kanto starters are male in battle, so you don't know if you get a girl before you choose nickname.

789shadow

Banned

That's how I roll!

You had to move forward while in the direct center to climb back up the pole.

QP3

Gaf, quick help. On vacation and only have mobile, so usual researching is a pain. Thinking of picking up 3ds xl and x or y.

Could someone give me a quick rundown of the differences? Do I get to pick a gen 1 starter in both? Thanks!

yami4ct

Quick question, do we know if Pokerus will effect Super Training? Just thought of that. Might make Super Training faster than Power Item battles if it does.

inner-G

Banned
Gaf, quick help. On vacation and only have mobile, so usual researching is a pain. Thinking of picking up 3ds xl and x or y.

Could someone give me a quick rundown of the differences? Do I get to pick a gen 1 starter in both? Thanks!

Copy/pasted from IGN: http://www.ign.com/wikis/pokemon-x-y-version/Pokemon_X_and_Y_Version_Differences
X Version Exclusive Pokemon

Mega Charizard X
Staryu
Starmie
Pinsir
Mega Mewtwo X
Houndour
Houndoom
Poochyena
Mightyena
Aron
Lairon
Aggron
Sawk
Swirlix
Slurpuff
Clauncher
Clawitzer
Xerneas

Y Version Exclusive Pokemon

Mega Charizard Y
Shellder
Cloyster
Mega Mewtwo Y
Heracross
Larvitar
Pupitar
Tyranitar
Electrike
Manectric
Purrloin
Liepard
Throh
Spritzee
Aromatisse
Skrelp
Dragalge
Yveltal

Magnus

Across four different generation V and VI game carts, I'm finally in possession of all Gen I-V starters. My Younger self would be very impressed.

Ashodin

I went to the midnight launch in Downtown San Francisco last night and snapped a few pics. I was almost embarassed to be a Pokemon fan. There was a mix of people but holy shit the people at the front scared me the most. They were singing the Pokemon TV show intro in harmony together for a bit. There were roughly 300-400 people in line give or take. Surprise surprise no children spotted. They were also selling 2DS which I must say looked pretty cool. I was tempted to buy one.

If anyone cares, I got Y. Fuck X :)

Sorry for the quality.

Mine was pretty crazy too, I had to drive 30 minutes to get to a store that was doing a midnight.

When I got there, they were watching Pokemon the First Movie on the building! Holy shit! And it was awesome because it's relevant (Mega Mewtwo).

Needless to say it was awesome last night. Real vibe of everyone excited for the game. It's going to outsell GTAV.

Cmagus

Just bought Pokemon Y off e-shop lol had to like wipe my entire SD card just to download it. Although I have tried previous titles I haven't played a Pokemon all the way through since yellow this should be fun.

Just started, got out of bed... movement being locked into 8 directions is going to take a lot of getting used to. I thought this was, like, 2013.

Acheteedo

My suggestion is to first and foremost, get the good natures for the pokemon you want to train. Then level them up and play through the game. Later on, just use a reset bag on the pokemon's EVs and train it then.

I love this game so much because I can actually forget to worry to train my EVs the moment I get a pokemon because now I can just reset them.

Thanks, that's helpful, yeah I just want to play casually thought the story at first!

My god, did this game start out underwhelming. As expected, it's the same shit as usual and technically it feels super cheap and lazy.
But holy shit, the updated EXP divider item is easily the best (and probably only worthwhile) improvement since Red/Blue. Now that the whole team gets EXP, I'm switching between all 6 PKMN in the team for the first time in the series' history, instead of 2 at max because training them individually has always been so tedious.

Zelias

Banned
Quick question, do we know if Pokerus will effect Super Training? Just thought of that. Might make Super Training faster than Power Item battles if it does.
I'll test in a few minutes.

Stuck in a dungeon with no way of escape beyond simply getting through it. I'll test when I'm done with it.

ElRenoRaven

Well drained my battery this morning after letting my 3DSXL charge all night. I have to say I'm totally lost after so many years out of the Pokemon loop but damn the gameplay is still as fun as ever.

My god, did this game start out underwhelming. As expected, it's the same shit as usual and technically it feels super cheap and lazy.
But holy shit, the updated EXP divider item is easily the best (and probably only worthwhile) improvement since Red/Blue. Now that the whole team gets EXP, I'm switching between all 6 PKMN in the team for the first time in the series' history, instead of 2 at max because training them individually has always been so tedious.

Yup I love that. I remember back in the days only having a couple I really used due to that. Now you can actually keep a team and have them all around the same level with that. It's very nice.

QP3

Copy/pasted from IGN: http://www.ign.com/wikis/pokemon-x-y-version/Pokemon_X_and_Y_Version_Differences
X Version Exclusive Pokemon

Mega Charizard X
Staryu
Starmie
Pinsir
Mega Mewtwo X
Houndour
Houndoom
Poochyena
Mightyena
Aron
Lairon