• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon X Pokemon Y |OT| Gotta Catch em All...NOW IN 3D!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnus

My god, did this game start out underwhelming. As expected, it's the same shit as usual and technically it feels super cheap and lazy.
But holy shit, the updated EXP divider item is easily the best (and probably only worthwhile) improvement since Red/Blue. Now that the whole team gets EXP, I'm switching between all 6 PKMN in the team for the first time in the series' history instead of 2 at max because training them individually has always been so tedious.

Exactly. And the leveling up is a tedious chore in this game, and it really does feel the same with all of them. May as well do less of it. Being able to switch out and use different Pokémon frequently and without having to catch them all up is awesome.

Azure J

Just got my game and started it up. Comments:

- God damn this game has a nice visual style.
- Kalos mom is best mom.
- The hometown is rich as fuccck
- I like the big group of friends.
- I have a feeling when I get the hang of it, the internet features are going to be addictive for me.
- #TeamDarkskin / #TeamMaleTrainer
- Maaaaan, making it so that you gain EXP points for catching things is one of the best changes in this series. Now I don't have to worry about picking grinding over catching and vice versa in the early game anymore.
- I really really like the French inspired design a lot.

Edit: Hold up, is EXP All available early in the game?

Sorian

Banned
I'm kind of ignorant when it comes to this nature thing. I've played games where they have been there and I've just kind of ignored them but I actually want to be involved in the whole meta game this time. With that being said, should I be looking at specific natures for my chespin, torchic, and squirtle? I know via trades I'd have options at more than one but I figure I should just try to get them right the first time.

Quoted for the new page.

Ashodin

buddew_avatar_by_neoriceisgood-d6q75ob.png
ralts_avatar_by_neoriceisgood-d6q75oi.png
spewpapa_avatar_by_neoriceisgood-d6q75ok.png

3 more guys I got sprited, feel free to use em.

Ralts is mine!

yami4ct

More EV related questions.

Do captures give EVs to the battling pokemon? Do we have to be careful about capturing if we're EV training?

How does EXP-All distribute EVs? My hope is that just the battling pokemon get them, but want to be sure.

InertiaXr

How do you start a new game? I just learned you get a free Torchic alongside the new starter and gen 1 starter, and want to get the new grass guy alongside Squirtle and Torchic, but on the main menu there is only continue, mystery gift, live competition? Do I need to delete the save data from the 3DS OS itself? I've never done so, where is such a thing found in the OS?

Korosenai

Ok, so I just got the game, and i'm trying out super training with my Chespin, but it's only letting me train my defense which I do not want to do. How do I train other stats?

SeroTyler

First one to talk gets to stay on the aircraft!
So I want both Mega Blaziken and Charizard X, help me decide, I love them both so much, I think having two fire types is worth it.

Espada

My god, did this game start out underwhelming. As expected, it's the same shit as usual and technically it feels super cheap and lazy.
But holy shit, the updated EXP divider item is easily the best (and probably only worthwhile) improvement since Red/Blue. Now that the whole team gets EXP, I'm switching between all 6 PKMN in the team for the first time in the series' history, instead of 2 at max because training them individually has always been so tedious.

I'd say the Auto-Repel function introduced in Black and White 2 matches that in terms of best improvement. It's going to be difficult going back and playing the older games without this nice little key item.

I went to the midnight launch in Downtown San Francisco last night and snapped a few pics. I was almost embarassed to be a Pokemon fan. There was a mix of people but holy shit the people at the front scared me the most. They were singing the Pokemon TV show intro in harmony together for a bit. There were roughly 300-400 people in line give or take. Surprise surprise no children spotted. They were also selling 2DS which I must say looked pretty cool. I was tempted to buy one.

If anyone cares, I got Y. Fuck X :)

Sorry for the quality.

Oh god, that's a crazy line. Man, I feel better that I decided to not bother going downtown and instead just head to the Gamestop close by in the morning.

ffdgh

How do you start a new game? I just learned you get a free Torchic alongside the new starter and gen 1 starter, and want to get the new grass guy alongside Squirtle and Torchic, but on the main menu there is only continue, mystery gift, live competition? Do I need to delete the save data from the 3DS OS itself? I've never done so, where is such a thing found in the OS?

Hold up on the dpad + x and b while on the title screen.

Squall516

what do you guys think the best nature for Torchic is? I was thinking timid (+spd -atk) and making him learn baton pass? you guys think thats a good idea?

so1337

This game is fucking rad. But you probably don't need me to tell you that.

I'm a little bummed that my Chespin evolved. He looks kind of dumb now.

Boogiepop

I'm liking the EXP share thus far. Keeps it from just being my starter and whichever secondary pokemon I choose rapidly overtaking everyone (also, the main game was always crazy easy. They should've upped the difficulty to coincide with the new exp share, but whatever).

Also... the stretch between the first and 2nd gyms feels like it's taking FOREVER. Haha. Told myself I'd take a break when I finished the 2nd gym, but it's just taking too long to get there. And I'm still holding out some sliver of hope that the awesome medal system and habitat list (or whatever it was called, the area checklist feature) from B2/W2 made it in and I just haven't found them yet. It'd be a shame to see them go the same way as stuff like following pokemon.

Can you keep reseting after getting the Torchic so it has the nature you want?

Also would anyone like to help me make my Kadabra into an Alakazam?

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
what do you guys think the best nature for Torchic is? I was thinking timid (+spd -atk) and making him learn baton pass? you guys think thats a good idea?

Terrible idea. If you want to do that, at least lower his special attack. He is more a physical sweeper. Don't take away from its attack. As for myself, I got adamant. I never cared about designating a pokemon as a baton passer. I prefer just a versatile and strong pokemon.

yami4ct

Is it impossible to get a female fennekin for my female char? Might go froakie..

Should be possible. It just takes time. Starters always have pretty stupidly low rates of being female.

Standard builds for Blzaiken tend to be either Jolly or Adamant. You don't want to go -Atk because it's high physical is one of Blaze's main benefits.

Berordn

Don't own the game either, buti had to ask, how's the music? Is it on par with Sapphire/Ruby/Emerald and Black/White?

The battle themes are lackluster, and the two that everyone keeps hyping up (Vs. Gym Leader and Vs. Team Flare) are also a mess. Everything else is decent to good, especially the trainer encounter themes.

Magnus

Amazing. I approve.

Don't own the game either, buti had to ask, how's the music? Is it on par with Sapphire/Ruby/Emerald and Black/White?

It's all amazing. The improved quality and instrumentation causes it all to grate less on the nerves than any previous gen IMO.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I think I just lost a Pokemon when my Wonder Trade partner disconnected.

I played like 5 minutes, but the whole presentation of the game is fucking amazing.

The cutscenes, camera angles when you enter Route 1, Nintendo went all out on this.

Toa TAK

Banned
The battle themes are lackluster, and the two that everyone keeps hyping up (Vs. Gym Leader and Vs. Team Flare) are also a mess. Everything else is decent to good, especially the trainer encounter themes.
Ah that bites. But I figured that might be case, too.

Took me like 6. Seems like some had to go through a lot more. It's all a luck of the draw.

No. The gift Torchic is always male. It does seem males might be able to pass secret abilities via breeding now (not fully confirmed, but maybe true).
Hopefully it is true. I have a Jolly natured one.

yami4ct

Wonder trade is really strange. I like it for early game. Will probably be a wasteland in a month or two. The idea of a fully random trade really only works for picking up common pokemon you don't have yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom