• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon X Pokemon Y |OT| Gotta Catch em All...NOW IN 3D!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having trouble "getting" into the game. The graphics are really pleasant, but after playing SMT IV and Fire Emblem, something just seems off with the game. I am starting to feel like I have done it all before and maybe it has lost its appeal?

Of course, I am only about two hours in. Does the game do anything different than 8 badges, team of baddies and the elite four?

OceanBlue

Aww darnit. Decided to look at my Pokemon's nature and I got:

- Fennekin (Male) : Bold
- Panpour (Female): Modest
- Pikachu (Male): Rash
- Dunsparce (Female): Calm
- Torchic (Male): Hardy

I have no idea if that's good or not especially for Fennekin.

You can look at your Pokemon's stats to see how natures affect them. A stat in red means that it gets increased and a stat in blue means it gets decreased.

I don't know what stats are good for what Pokemon, but that always helps me since I hate having to pull up a nature list every time I catch a Pokemon.

Here's a more recent list of the colors:

8q3y1My.png

Would be cool if we made an extensive list covering as many regions as possible.

If you want to narrow it (in case another Spaniard with a different coloured Vivillon shows up) I'm on the Mediterranean coast.

Ultimadrago

Aww darnit. Decided to look at my Pokemon's nature and I got:

- Fennekin (Male) : Bold
- Panpour (Female): Modest
- Pikachu (Male): Rash
- Dunsparce (Female): Calm
- Torchic (Male): Hardy

I have no idea if that's good or not especially for Fennekin.

You don't have to worry too much about natures for in-game, it seems easy as is without optimizing natures, if that's your concern. But yeah, a Torchic no extra growth and a Fennekin with extra Defense instead of Sp. Attk/Speed is no bueno.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Nature You can check Natures here.

Busaiku

Dang, I didn't realize that Super Training was available from the get-go.
Is there any way to eliminate my EVs through regular battling in Super Training?

So there is some talk about natures in here, I have no idea what that means. Here's my team so far(after defeating the first gym). Also, some of their abilities are pretty good, right?

Pidgey: Relaxed / Keen Eye
Chespin: Careful / Overgrow
Panpour: Impish / Gluttony
Pansage: Modest / Gluttony
Combusken: Adamant / Speed Boost
Spewpa: Timid / Shed Skin

Are those good? I like the Overgrow/Speed Boost/Shed Skin abilities quite a bit.

Roto13

I really hope my Fennekin didn't miss out on any good moves in the day care. Though it has Flame Charge and PSybeam so that's awesome.

BraXzy

I could do with some Poke friends for trading/battling fun. If you would like, please add me and then PM your code so we can catch em' all together :D

1950-7815-8421

Is there any tips or information on the whole training thing? And the petting thing? I don't want to mess it up.

So there is some talk about natures in here, I have no idea what that means. Here's my team so far(after defeating the first gym). Also, some of their abilities are pretty good, right?

Pidgey: Relaxed / Keen Eye
Chespin: Careful / Overgrow
Panpour: Impish / Gluttony
Pansage: Modest / Gluttony
Combusken: Adamant / Speed Boost
Spewpa: Timid / Shed Skin

Are those good? I like the Overgrow/Speed Boost/Shed Skin abilities quite a bit.

Adamant is good on Combustken. Quite good actually.

Ultimadrago

I don't know what nature would be good for Froakie.. Modest?

From Smogon's calculations Greninja will have good speed and more balanced atttack stats with Special Attk. being more favored. However, his Signature move is physical. You can attempt for Mixed Attacker with Hasty or Naive to capitalize on its good speed. Modest is an option, but its moveset seems to lean heavily physical to lower physical attack power.

UberTag

im seeing a bunch of peopel online saying that jolly is bad for froakie bc you should focus on his sp.atk what do you guys think is the best nature for him? i havnt started playing yet so dont know much about his stats or w.e
I went with a Hasty nature so I could build a versatile mixed attacker moveset with an emphasis on Speed.
Figured it would give me the most versatility until the full extent of his available movepool is known.

A Naive nature would also work well here. But yeah, I would shy away from Jolly or anything that hampers one of your attack stats. Froakie isn't built for defense so the objective for him is to hit hard and quick.

Maxed out my Speed EVs. Split the remaining 256 between Attack and Special Attack evenly.

Loving the game so far..10 hours in and only just got second gym badge!

Team:
Combusken - Lv.33
Charmeleon - Lv 31
Frogadier - Lv 30
Pidgeotto - Lv 30
Raichu - Lv 28
Tyrunt - Lv 24 (spent ages in Super Training with him)

Also, has anyone found out yet how you get the Aggronite/Tyranitite stones?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Guys who has the best customization boy or girl? I like the boy character this time as he doesn't look stupid as hell this time, but if the girl has better options I'll go that way. x.x/

Squall516

From Smogon's calculations Greninja will have good speed and more balanced atttack stats with Special Attk. being more favored. However, his Signature move is physical. You can attempt for Mixed Attacker with Hasty or Naive to capitalize on its good speed. Modest is an option, but its moveset seems to lean heavily physical to lower physical attack power.

so timid and jolly would be bad then? i always feel nervious to pick natures lowering any kind of def. so thats hwy im still not sure what nature to pick for froakie

I just traded a Scatterbug using wonder trade and got a Kakuna that was a few points from level 10. Not bad.

Also the music in the clothing store is amazing.

Fireblend

Banned
So guys, answer me this: is there any reason why I should want to deal with Super Training sooner rather than later? Can I leave the EV training business for later rather than rushing to trying to understand how it all works?

hoserx

I kinda want to start playing a pokemon game. I'm 30 years old, and I've never played one. I figure I should at least figure out what the fuss is all about........ would it be a mistake to start with this most recent entry?

m0t0k1

I was throwing pokeballs away at catching
Snorlax
until somebody send me the capture power and cought it right after. This game!!!!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I kinda want to start playing a pokemon game. I'm 30 years old, and I've never played one. I figure I should at least figure out what the fuss is all about........ would it be a mistake to start with this most recent entry?
Nope it would be a good idea :) This game is great

Chris R

So many minor little things bugging me so far... No way to get something informative in the lower screen while in the world? I'd love to see my current team in the lower screen :| Also, no way to set "Never ask to nickname" when I catch a pokemon?

One thing I do like so far though was the mobile pokemon center coming with you in the forrest, made getting through it much quicker. Also like that there are fire/grass/water type to catch so early, makes a balanced team something to aim for instead of the starter+normal/bug shit from earlier games.

Zelias

Banned
No. The games are always newcomer-friendly.

I'd say it'd only be a mistake if you're planning on playing previous games too after playing X/Y, maybe they'd feel too dated for you. Otherwise, no, I think you'll have plenty of fun with X/Y.

BraXzy

They are all more or less the same in concept. Every story is pretty much separate and its own thing so you don't "miss" anything. I'd say dive in with Pokemon X or Y but it is up to you. The other games are brilliant on their own.

All of the shrub maze things on Route 4 are kind of fun.

I'm liking the route design quite a bit so far.

They were so irritating! I kept getting caught on them, really awkward to walk through imo.

Ultimadrago

so timid and jolly would be bad then? i always feel nervious to pick natures lowering any kind of def. so thats hwy im still not sure what nature to pick for froakie

I see where you're coming from. But Froakie was never meant to last long through harsh walling/defense. It would be more beneficial to make sure it gets to take its action first and for that action to hit as hard as it can (even moreso important for them than others). Holding onto what defense it has to lower its attacking on either side at this point seems like a disfavor to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom