• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon X Pokemon Y |OT| Gotta Catch em All...NOW IN 3D!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tadale

Is anyone else seeing some serious crash problems? I'm playing Y on a blue XL, and it has crashed on me six or seven times before the first gym. Hard crashes that make me completely reset the system. My wife is playing X on an Animal Crossing XL, and has seen no crashes. We both have retail games, not the eShop version.

So, only 69 pokemon this time around? Gotta say, its noticeable. I seen and have most of these pokemon stacked across previous games. Don't feel like catching the same ones again ESPECIALLY since I plan to transfer them over in Dec.

It's noticeable for me too but I don't mind because it's the first time we're seeing these Pokemon in 3d (not counting stadium etc). It's really cool to see how they animate and whatnot after seeing them as sprites for so long.

Eusis

Timid for Froakie fine? I'm trying to get a female one, but failing that I'll settle for a good nature, and looking online Hasty seemed best.

... Not that I'll seriously play soon given in a few minutes it's Dark Souls time.

Teknoman

It's noticeable for me too but I don't mind because it's the first time we're seeing these Pokemon in 3d (not counting stadium etc). It's really cool to see how they animate and whatnot after seeing them as sprites for so long.

My thoughts exactly. Also thats another reason why I started fresh. Besides, i'm already going to have a TON of Pokemon I want to train, and even the old ones learn new moves / have new typings (some anyway) and so on.

Ugh, facing such a dilemma right now. Just caught a Skrelp and I don't want to box anyone in my current team. :(

Greninja lv.40
Florges lv.40
Tyrunt lv.37
Heliolisk lv. 37
Talonflame lv.39
Doublade lv. 38

6th gen Pokemon are too cool. I can't part with any of them!
Bye Florges

ramyeon

I don't think Chestnaught has high SpA base stat to begin with. I could be wrong though.
Oh okay haha, I'm totally new at this so bear with me. Is there a general rule of thumb to how many EV points for each stat? I hear people saying 252 in any given stat is good? So if I went 252 attack and then the rest in HP and defence that would be good?

Teknoman

JP Audino via wonder trade for Modest Oddish.

Also I like all the battle themes, the overworld themes so far (havent hit the second gym) arent very memorable yet.

Sandfox

Oh okay haha, I'm totally new at this so bear with me. Is there a general rule of thumb to how many EV points for each stat? I hear people saying 252 in any given stat is good? So if I went 252 attack and then the rest in HP and defence that would be good?

It depends on the pokemon because they each have different roles that benefit from EVs in different stats.

Canon

Banned
Not enjoying this game as much as I thought I would. Why is there only 8 directions when you have an analog stick? Also I notice just a general lack of polish in the battle scenes. The camera transitions aren't that smooth and they seem sudden. And the frame rate goes to below 20 FPS sometimes (to my eyes anyway, I don't know the exact numbers). Plus the lack of 3D is lazy.

I don't know, it doesn't feel very polished to me. They fixed some stuff but there's still a ton of obvious things they could've improved upon. I want to like it more. I'll try it again later.

Unbounded

Anyone know of a good water/flying, flying/electric, or water/electric pokemon, preferably from the new gen?

I'm trying to fill out my team, and can't find something to cover a particular weakness.

Jintor

What does the hopping around on the Amie screen while you're moving actually do?

Does Super Training continue even if you're not on the screen?

That does sound good, I don't really use defensive Pokemon though, you might want a second opinion.

pizza dog

Banned
Anyone know of a good water/flying, flying/electric, or water/electric pokemon, preferably from the new gen?

I'm trying to fill out my team, and can't find something to cover a particular weakness.

Flying Electric? Lol. Zapdos. Emolga I suppose.

Flying/Water has at least the duck/swan evolution. You can pick one up near the fossil town.

Squall516

i also have a question that im curious about since i havnt gotten up to it yet. but when your able to get the gen 1 starter..does it come with its item for mega evo? Like i want charizard X but i also have the free torchic so i was thinking of getting bulba or squirtle, but you can get those starters from breeding too

so my main question is that the other ones that you dont initially choose and later on get them from breeding can you also eventually mega evolve those? or only the one that you get from the guy?

Gvaz

Banned
So what's the point of the food minigame thing?

I get the training one is increasing EVs or IVs or someshit in a way that isn't grindy as fuck (a lot of nice things were changed to make it less grindy, like getting xp on capturing THANK FUCKING FINALLY) but it just seems rather weird.

Teknoman

Yeah, I was shocked by this. Granted, the quality's ass but it is available for use during a match with a registered buddy.

Hell, I didn't even know the 3DS had a mic.

Heh I keep saying no since there is something going on no matter where I am, so it would most likely be background noise. Its odd that it completely cuts off the battle if you say no to game chat. I still want to fight damn it.

Just ran into a pack of Mime Jr. in Reflection Cave and one of them was a shiny. I've never ran into a shiny in all my years of playing Pokemon. Had to take them out one by one until I could catch the shiny that was left.

FSLink

Banned
i also have a question that im curious about since i havnt gotten up to it yet. but when your able to get the gen 1 starter..does it come with its item for mega evo? Like i want charizard X but i also have the free torchic so i was thinking of getting bulba or squirtle, but you can get those starters from breeding too

so my main question is that the other ones that you dont initially choose and later on get them from breeding can you also eventually mega evolve those? or only the one that you get from the guy?

You get the mega evo item as soon as you get the starter. The other Kanto starters' mega evo items can be bought later.

Keyouta

Man it chugs sometimes. Game freak said they weren't gonna be patching this game post launch. I really hope they patch some of these issues out. I have noticed serious stuttering in one on one, and obviously horde battles. I was pretty astonished to see it honestly. The 1v1s do NOT look like they would be pushing the hardware at all.

Turn off 3D

Forkball

8 hours in and not even to the second gym. I'm really enjoying this game far more than I expected. I was disappointed by the lack of new Pokemon at first, but they give you such a huge variety from all regions so early on that you don't really feel like you're missing anything. Also EXP All is a huge game changer, it really lets you switch up your team and build it the way you want. My problem is that I have too many great Pokemon I want to train but not enough room.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Oh man, the Pokemon's expressions in Amie when you touch them wrong is just heart-breaking...

Just petting my Fletchling, and I rub its little legs...and it gives me like the saddest expression. It was sort of upsetting how freaked out it got over that, seems each Pokemon has a "bad spot". Chespin's seems to be the top left of its hat.

By the way, how do you mimic faces in Amie? Like when it asks you to do a face, I've yet to see that.

EDIT: Also, guys, here's a fun little thing to do to spice up the game...limit yourself to using the same amount of Pokemon as the Gym Leader, and only using those Pokemon throughout the Gym. Really spices things up and lets you focus on type advantages and such.

Gaf, this is my first venture back into pokemon and I've never heard of EV training, and I'm already an hour in after getting my kanto starter.

Do I gotta start over?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom