• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon X Pokemon Y |OT| Gotta Catch em All...NOW IN 3D!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rflagg

For this game, the 3D doesn't make things that much better. It's really nice if you like 3D, but the 3D is so disappointingly uncommon in the game and it sometimes makes the framerate go a bit slower. It really is a shame. I hope Z gets its 3D straight.

The 3D is off in this game anytime you are in the overworld, playing online multiplayer battles, or facing hordes or doing double battles and such, so that's a lot of the game.

Honestly, I've probably turned on the 3D for a total of an hour or two overall since I first bought the system at launch. But some people really like it.
Thanks I should have mentioned I will eventually get other games of course, it is just this is the one that finally pushed to buy it.

Holy crap, I just did the Wonder trade function just for kicks, recently caught a Roselia, since I have a Roserade already that im gonna transfer in december, I said "eh what the hell, ill try it"

1st attempt: got a Pidgey lvl 3 called "Li'l Birdie
Me: Hell naw

2nd attempt by trading said Pidgey: Japanese Weedle
Me: eh....not thanks, I just evolved mines too a Beedrill

3rd attempt: I got a charmander
Me: .....
LOL OKAY ILL TAKE IT! *picked bulbasaur as my second starter*

Never planned on getting a charmander ever, but whatever! Wonder Trade win! XD

Fury Sense

11 Hours in, loving it. Here are my notes:

My pokedex is 50/64. Trying to keep my ratio more than increase my numerator. EXP Share was nice for getting Beedrill and Butterfree at the same time, otherwise I don't like it.

I got my Vivillon as the Polar pattern which surprised me since I've seen it marked as "Canada" in a fanmade legend. I'm in Ohio, but my DS was identified as Massachusetts when I started the game. After getting Polar, I switched my state to Ohio, raised another Scatterbug, and got Polar again. Guess I'm locked in :D

Went on GTS to trade my 2nd Vivillon for another and received a Japanese one that's purple with orange squares and red rectangles. Not bad. The trade was executed within 5 minutes of posting it. These Vivillons are hot commodities it seems.

Wonder trading is... interesting. Surprised that 2/3 of my trades were quite decent.

I traded Yolo the Psyduck (Lvl. 6) for Minun (Lvl. 6)
I traded a Litleo (Lvl. 5) for a Drifloon (Lvl. 16)
I traded a Riolu (Lvl. 7) for a Fletchling (Lvl. 3); I think the guy felt bad because he used the preset message to thank me immediately after :D

I also for some reason decided to trade with a passerby, which gave me weird feelings. Semi-human interactions... Got a Lvl 8 Furfrou for the Minun I had received previously.

My friend and I agreed to 3v3 singles battles after every gym, but seeing how long I've played and haven't reached the second, I think we'll do battles every ~10 levels instead. We don't do the level equalizer (set at 50/100).

Our first battle was really close... He was overleveled by about 5 across the 3 pkmn, and at level 8-13, that matters! However, I had made a trade for the Farfetch'd and my Aerial Ace sent his Butterfree to the bench and Fury Attack (Hit 5 times!) did Froakie in. Rollout would have taken care of his Pidgey, but level difference and quick attack kept him alive. In the end, it was my Spewpa vs his Butterfree, each with super thin red health bars. I used protect to see what he would use: Tackle. The same as my only damage dealing attack at the time. We pitted tackle vs tackle and the match was decided.

AzVal

Chose Bulbasaur as GenI
so I have

Staples:
Froakie as Water(dark)
Combusken as fire-Fighting
Bulbasaur as Grass-Poison

Not set on stone;
Pikachu as Electric.
Vivillon as Bug flying.
Fletching as flying.

are there any good double type three stagers that I can catch out there?, what type pout of the starter trio should I be getting to replace those on the second group? I havent played since Gen II so I may be not taking some things in consideration as I do not fully know all the newer types interactions.

So, since 3D was the obvious next step for the franchise, what's the next big thing? I always thought it'd be huge if Game Freak made a gen that just encompassed all the gens before it. Start in Kanto, end in Kalos. I feel like that'd sell like crazy.

Drago

Woah. The Houndour I got is of a modest nature, and this one learns Flamethrower... but I need my flying type!

What do I do? Houndoom or Talonflame? :(

Current team. Just got Snorlax.

BWbzHjxCUAAD9ZV.jpg

That is a Shiny Frogadier ;)

yami4ct

So, since 3D was the obvious next step for the franchise, what's the next big thing? I always thought it'd be huge if Game Freak made a gen that just encompassed all the gens before it. Start in Kanto, end in Kalos. I feel like that'd sell like crazy.

Would be too hard to fit all those continents on a single card. Multi region games means each of those regions don't get the attention they deserve. I'd much prefer single region per game.

Man, just unlocked O-Powers. What a fun little system. Gifting O-Powers to the random people on my passerby list is super addictive.

The Lamp

Honestly they still have a lot of room for improvement graphically for future games. Some of the environments and textures are laughably bad and they could really improve animation since certain attacks still have the Pokemon just vibrate in place or spin around in place to indicate an otherwise brutal attack.

Also I want my fucking Pokemon following me again. I don't care if my Snorlax needs to wear rollerskates too, I want him by my side!

And as a side note, I don't understand why Goldeen floats in the air but Magikarp flops around.

So guys.

Immediately evolve my duoblade to
aegislash
? (also, do we still have to spoiler stuff like this?

Or wait a few levels for it to learn moves? Can stone evos learn moves this time?

Sorry to respond to your question with a question, but where did you find the stone?

And omg, totally forgot about stone evos not learning moves. I have two of them in my party that I evolved at an early level. :(((

Oh dear God, Mega Charizard Y is godlike. I was fighting
Selena in front of the Gym
and took out every single one of her Pokemon - including her Frogadier - with a single Flame Burst each. Geeeeezzzzzzzuuuuuuusssssss

Would be too hard to fit all those continents on a single card. Multi region games means each of those regions don't get the attention they deserve. I'd much prefer single region per game.

Well I present that idea with the insinuation that it'd be given proper treatment and not just be a fan service. I think it could be done, it would however require a longer dev cycle than the typical 2 years we see now.

yami4ct

Oh dear God, Mega Charizard Y is godlike. I was fighting
Selena in front of the Gym
and took out every single one of her Pokemon - including her Frogadier - with a single Flame Burst each. Geeeeezzzzzzzuuuuuuusssssss

The mega system is really interesting. Basically means you can have one legendary power pokemon per team. Picking what that pokemon will be adds another cool layer to team building.

I really wish you can turn off the roller blades, I like the circle pad for running and walking.

I wish you could have roller blades on while using the d-pad. I hate the circle pad so much. Just got to route 5 and my team so far is:

Quilladin
Squirtle
Bunnelby
Fletching
Pikachu
Dunsparce

yami4ct

Well I present that idea with the insinuation that it'd be given proper treatment and not just be a fan service. I think it could be done, it would however require a longer dev cycle than the typical 2 years we see now.

I feel like by the time you go through all the gyms once, the formula is getting old. I'd much rather spend that time team building and doing post-game challenges like whatever the Battle facility in the game is and catching legendaries. I have no interest in giving the whole thing another run until the next games release. I'd much rather have something new than all the old squeezed into one package.

Morokh

Game is fantastic so far, but it's also the first 3DS game that I play with 3D off completely, the additional slowdowns, and the few instances where it's actually in 3D aren't worth it ....

For all the people asking about EV's don't bother about that for the story it doesn't matter much, plus there seems to be an easy way to reset them with super training for post-game.

I feel like by the time you go through all the gyms once, the formula is getting old. I'd much rather spend that time team building and doing post-game challenges like whatever the Battle facility in the game is and catching legendaries. I have no interest in giving the whole thing another run until the next games release. I'd much rather have something new than all the old squeezed into one package.

How would you feel about the same idea as a Wii U title? (with obvious graphical improvement)

Growlie19

Just beat the second gym. Damn this game is awesome. My team right now is Frogadier, Pikachu, Charmeleon, Skiddo, and Floette. The last slot is still open, with Tyrunt filling it in until I find something cool.

yami4ct

Game is fantastic so far, but it's also the first 3DS game that I play with 3D off completely, the additional slowdowns, and the few instances where it's actually in 3D aren't worth it ....

For all the people asking about EV's don't bother about that for the story it doesn't matter much, plus there seems to be an easy way to reset them with super training for post-game.

I was sort of pissed the way the game assigned EVs with stuff like capture XP and the share item, but the easy reset fixed all that. It was a must given that the other stuff sort of breaks the system.

Man, still can't get over the variety of pokemon in each area of the game. I can spend so much time just clearing out an area of pokemon I haven't caught yet. There's so much there. Way too fun.

How would you feel about the same idea as a Wii U title? (with obvious graphical improvement)

Even less interest. Pokemon is a handheld franchise to me. It works because I can play it anywhere. I don't want to be tied to my couch to play it. In fact, if I'm on my couch there's something else I'd probably rather play that'd fit the format better.

yami4ct

Is anyone using Helioptile and/or Floette? Have I ruined these Pokemon by evolving them too early? (lv. 30-ish).

Is there any way to fix it?

In terms of what? Being competitive? If you're only using them during the campaign, you'll be fine. No really need to worry about specific builds for that.

If you're talking longer term competitive viability, no one knows what the new pokemon will look like in the competitive scene. You'd likely want to breed for specific abilities, IVs and natures anyway. In terms of EVs, you can always reset with a super trainer reset bag.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
In terms of what? Being competitive? If you're only using them during the campaign, you'll be fine. No really need to worry about specific builds for that.

If you're talking longer term competitive viability, no one knows what the new pokemon will look like in the competitive scene. You'd likely want to breed for specific abilities, IVs and natures anyway. In terms of EVs, you can always reset with a super trainer reset bag.

I think he's talking about if using the stones to evolve them would make them stop learning new moves.

Drago

Does anyone know when Houndour or Houndoom learn Flamethrower?

It sucks not having a movelist for these games yet. :/

Ok so I just started and the first Pokemon I encountered as wield was Pidgey, The feelsss

After how long it took to download though my batteries are almost dead so I am calling it quits for now, probably for the best with two Test next week :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom