• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon X Pokemon Y |OT| Gotta Catch em All...NOW IN 3D!

Status
Not open for further replies.

derfybzh

I'm sorry for my question, but I don't understand how to swap in or out Pokemon in my team ?

I'm stuck with my first 6 pokemons.

I'm sorry for my question, but I don't understand how to swap in or out Pokemon in my team ?

I'm stuck with my first 6 pokemons.

Go to a Pokemon Center. There's a PC to the right of the counter. Choose the first option to access your boxes. Then you can choose Organize Boxes to just drag and drop Pokémon from the box to your party or switch them out.

This game is so laggy, not sure why it's not getting more hell for it. I mean it's fantastic otherwise, but man what a disaster with the framerate. I turned 3d off too, still laggy, but no where near as bad as with the slider cranked.

Sadist

The fucking escaping from your pokeball after the 3rd struggle is still, all these years later, so dispiriting
True. That's why I hate Absol with a freaking passion.

Still... Played almost eleven hours, caught 50 + mons and I just beat the second gym. This game... This game...

Loving this game. Like always I don't get many things like super training... will my pokémon be stronger in battles if I play those minigames? I trained my chespin and its stats didn't change

Ferga

The fucking escaping from your pokeball after the 3rd struggle is still, all these years later, so dispiriting

I had a god damn level 12 Smeagle escape an ultra ball with 1hp today (ran outta balls and i'm making an effort to catch everything i see).

It was weird as hell.

In short, there's two aspects to super training: the minigames and the punching bags. The minigames are the main part of super training and come in 3 levels plus a secret level (unlocked after you max out a Pokemon's EVs, those stages give out rare items instead of EVs). I suggest taking some random Pokemon you don't care about and clear ALL the minigames for at least the first two levels so you have them all unlocked (to unlock level 2 you have to clear all level 1 levels, same for level 3 but with 2. Clearing all level 3 games doesn't unlock anything).

When you play a minigame, if you win you get a certain amount of EVs in the appropriate stat (4 for level 1, 8 for 2, 12 for 3) as well as a punching bag, typically of the same stat with better performance in the minigame giving a better bag. EVs also determine how well you perform in the minigames, the ones I know are that special attack and attack increase the damage your hits do while speed increases the speed of the platform you move on. I believe the defenses improve the charge rate of your shots while HP decreases the points penalty from being hit. Don't worry about those though, just focus on whatever EVs you want to train. I do suggest starting at level 1 then moving on to 2 and finally 3 even when you have them all unlocked though: the level 3s without any EVs at all are pretty tough.

Now, the punching bags are pretty much just as important as the minigames though. You can hold up to 12 of them (plus whatever one you're using at the time) and they're single use. While your Pokemon will very slowly punch it on its own (like once per minute) it's a much better idea to tap on the screen yourself to speed it up. The "blank" punching bag gives you a random bag occasionally after enough hits or you can get bags through the minigames as I said above. There's bags that give you EVs (1 for S bags, 4 for M, and I think 12 for L), ones that give you a boost in the next minigame you play, and perhaps most importantly the reset bag. You can get a reset bag by hitting the blank punching bag until the RNG blesses you, and you can use it to reset all EVs to 0.

Yes you can still gain EVs the old way, however Super Training is much faster and arguably more entertaining since you don't have to worry about what Pokemon you fight. It's also much faster and you can do it right from the start, I fully EV trained my Fennekin in about an hour from scratch. It can start off slow but gets really fast as you gain more EVs and the minigames become easier and easier.

Oh, also, EVs max out at 252 this time, no need to keep track of them at all and you can see your EVs in a chart on the super training page as well as how many EVs your Pokemon has total in the green bar.

Thanks for the great in depth description. It is good to hear that you do not have to worry about what Pokemon you fight this time.
My initial skepticism was at how low the reward seemed at first but now that I know that it goes as high as 12 makes me more interested.
I used to EV train quite fast the last generations since I had a combination of Virus and among other things.

And like that I have my japanese ditto. Thanks hawthornekitty. <3

Now, I must go to sleep only one badge and almost 6 hour play time. I love this game. Will begin breeding for shiny charmander later today..Zzzz

Kiraly

Just had a guy telling me he was from a far away region and this:

dsc_020239s3p.jpg

RUBY/SAPPHIRE REMAKE CONFIRMED

ramyeon

So guys I'm sure this game has night time, but I've yet to see it. It's 8PM here but still daylight in the game, when does it change over?

teeny

I love my Malamar with Contrary ability and Topsy Turvy. I think she is my favourite poke on my team at the moment. Design is awesome too.

I dunno if anyone has caught this yet, or that it's been mentioned, but super training takes into account the typical 252 spread for a stat (to avoid useless EV points to reach 510 cap). I just hit cap on two stats butt did not cap EVs (ie didn't hit 510 from doing 255+255). I then checked to see if it was accounting typical meta builds and did a mode for the third stat. Sure enough it gave me 6 EV points.

Very cool.

Artemisia

Banned
I just caught a timid female Eevee. God is real.

Making it a Jolteon for now, I plan on using it to breed an Vaporeon with Wish. I need a Togepi for that, though, and it doesn't seem like they are on the Regional Dex.

Jintor

Ugh man I love my current team in terms of being cute and cool-looking and whatever but I am severely doubled up on psychics and fire pokemans. Ugh.

It's just like the old tv show, I dunno if I want to win more or if I want to keep travelling with my companions

Forkball

Is there like a Fairy TM anywhere before the third gym? I want Sylveon, but don't want to train Eevee to 29 so it can learn Charm.

Morokh

WTF... My Marine Vivillon just beat the fuck out of a Mega Blaziken AND a Mega Lucario. Stun Spore+Infestation+Psybeam =Win

Yes, he is surprisingly good for the usual bug butterfly type.

I'm quite surprised about Diggersby too, he seems to be quite resilient to physical and special damage, but his move-set doesn't seem to be stellar.

Is Helioptile one of those Pokemon that stop learning stuff when it evolves or not? Wondering if I should use the Sun Stone now.

I was wondering the same thing (too late for me though) so I looked it up.

He learns Bulldoze, Volt Switch and Electrify between lv. 30 and 45. You can get Thunder through move relearner. He can learn Surf so make sure you give him that to counter ground types!

PowderedToast

got the 4th badge, gonna chill now and jus go around collecting pokemon. some impressions:

- going polygonal has done wonders for the battles. the animation is excellent and even the oldest, most overused pokemon are fun to look at now.

- so far the adventure is ok, but i'd put B&W over it. the towns/cities had greater diversity and it actually tried to shoot for something different. (only seen 4 cities so far though)

- disappointed in the lack of clothes and customisation. but it's their first go so i can't expect too much.

- the online features are straight up excellent.

- the UI is trash. easily the ugliest of any of the entries, feels like they did a first pass then had to put it out the door. a lot of the game feels rushed, actually - including the lack of 3D and framerate dips in 2D. a big shame. i suspect the third version will be a bigger step up than usual.

overall it's still a very good entry. if it didn't have the polygonal jump and online then i'd class it as middling, but those changes really do make the experience feel substantially different and new.

spiritfox

I was wondering the same thing (too late for me though) so I looked it up.

He learns Bulldoze, Volt Switch and Electrify between lv. 30 and 45. You can get Thunder through move relearner. He can learn Surf so make sure you give him that to counter ground types!

Where did you check the moves? There's nothing both on Serebii and Bulbapedia yet.

BTW this Surfing lizard is incredible.

Jintor

Now if you went with chestnaught you could have dealt tyrantrum with him with grass AND fighting. :p

Also man your PR video is way better than what I can do.

My Cinder is a beautiful psychic princess let down only by the fact that I didn't bother resetting for the right gender :(

Are there any good electric/flyings? I saw a weird flying pikachu thing but I don't know if it can learn fly

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
My Cinder is a beautiful psychic princess let down only by the fact that I didn't bother resetting for the right gender :(

Are there any good electric/flyings? I saw a weird flying pikachu thing but I don't know if it can learn fly

Emolga? Haven't seen one in the wild though.

Also I need to update my PR video with my new outfit.

Will anyone trade a Skrelp for Swirlix? Maybe not such a great deal, however they are both exclusives.(albeit Y exclusive is better)

3DS Name:Boki
F/C:1504-7109-7701

I'm desperate :)

Robin64

Think I found where to make a Glaceon.

In the Frost Cavern, when you've circled round you can surf to a corridor on the left side. Following this leads to some steps and down below is a frozen block of ice you can interact with. Didn't have an Eevee on me to test it, but it makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom