• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon X Pokemon Y |OT| Gotta Catch em All...NOW IN 3D!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Huh, I thought a review posted the final evos.

When are we gonna get official release on them anyway?

Shengar

Hey Shengar, can you change me to Team Both on the spreadsheet? I'd like to be on Team X actually, for a certain reason I can't talk about here yet, but I don't want my name to be on the end of the list
and I will eventually buy the second version in a few weeks
All done.
Huh, I thought a review posted the final evos.

When are we gonna get official release on them anyway?

Are the final evos usually have official releases at all before?

HT UK

Haven't played Pokemon for a long time, but looking forward to getting X next week.

I'm curious, do we know if it's possible to get both Charmander & Squirtle in the game? Or would you need to do some trading to get both?

All done.

Are the final evos usually have official releases at all before?

I would say, maybe probably yes.

d6ea533612f1d83145e30aab01bb0268cbd98bc3.jpg

vareon

I would say, maybe probably yes.

d6ea533612f1d83145e30aab01bb0268cbd98bc3.jpg

This reminds me, is there any read on the history of Pokemon? All I know is that the idea of Pokemon came from insect collecting and that's it. Having two versions to encourage (or force, depending how you want to look at it) trading sounds like an incredibly risky move at that time.

This reminds me, is there any read on the history of Pokemon? All I know is that the idea of Pokemon came from insect collecting and that's it. Having two versions to encourage (or force, depending how you want to look at it) trading sounds like an incredibly risky move at that time.
It's not a read, but this guy BalrogTheMaster on YouTube made a pretty good video about the history of Pokémon Red and Blue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic0aDbR4zVM
He also has videos about Gen 2 and 3.

Oxx

That's pretty disappointing. I'm surprised they don't let you battle Streetpass teams like in Fire Emblem. There's even precedent for something like this with the Viridian House in GSC/HGSS.
Along with the reports of a minimal postgame, the 2d overworld, and Pokemon Bank not being ready at launch, I'm getting the nagging feeling that Nintendo is rushing this out for the holidays.

Seems like a missed opportunity.

Still, if it means that a lot more people start carrying 3DSs around I'll get a decent number of passes for other stuff.

ramyeon

Seems like a missed opportunity.

Still, if it means that a lot more people start carrying 3DSs around I'll get a decent number of passes for other stuff.
Not quite the same but still pretty cool:
Trading and battling friends has always been a staple of Pokémon, but the 3DS NFC features have made it even easier to do so. During gameplay, the 3DS' bottom screen displays the Player Search System — or PSS. It shows which friends are online (connected via 3DS friend code); acquaintances (the people you've interacted with who aren't on your friends list); and passersby (players picked up on NFC that are nearby to your physical location). Tapping those people for trades or battles is simple, and they'll get a notification and a chance to save their game. I can see this feature being a big hit in places where 3DS consoles regularly convene.
http://mashable.com/2013/10/04/pokemon-x-y-review/

I preordered X yesterday for the superior Charizard. Now I will be on a media blackout so I wont get any spoilers in regards to the new pokemons.
Every time I have played a new generation of pokemon game in the past I have known about all of the pokemons prior. It will be nice to start fresh again (with the exceptions of starter pokemons).

I look forward to finally join a GAF pokemon tournament and adding people to battle/trade with.

Velcro Fly

I'm in a sort of pickle.

I have X and Y both preordered from Newegg for $34 each. This is with free 3 day shipping and despite what people say about Newegg shipping, I always get my game within 2 or 3 days.

But lately I've been thinking about cancelling those and buying X next Saturday so I could have the game on release. With tax where I live it would be pretty close to $43.

I can't decide if I should cancel one or both preorders and get it from a shop day 1, or keep one or both preorders and just wait it out until early in the week. This comes with the choice of getting both versions.

Right now I'm leaning towards waiting the few extra days and keeping at least X preordered to save $9 for a few days of waiting. I've seen all the leaks so that is of no consequence to me.

Trickster

So I haven't really been following the game very closely. Seen a few trailers here and there and been a bit in the leaked thread.

I have a question about how the mega evolutions work. Do the pokemon holding a mega stone go into their mega evolution the moment they get brought into battle? And will this happen everytime they are brought into battle?

Velcro Fly

So I haven't really been following the game very closely. Seen a few trailers here and there and been a bit in the leaked thread.

I have a question about how the mega evolutions work. Do the pokemon holding a mega stone go into their mega evolution the moment they get brought into battle? And will this happen everytime they are brought into battle?

You can choose to mega evolve them during battle. I don't believe it takes up a turn. So you can choose not to do it if you wanted.

Rocky

Banned
You can choose to mega evolve them during battle. I don't believe it takes up a turn. So you can choose not to do it if you wanted.

So have they said if the Mega evos have their own dex entry and number? That would suck if they did, since they aren't permanent.

Coppanuva

So hype for this. I think I'm meeting up with the local 3DS meetup group in Boston and chilling out that morning while we play our new games. Should be good times.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Reviews have really bummed me out with the news that there is no real improvement in AI behavior or any sort of difficulty setting.

I mean I get it, this game has to be accessible for kids and people who don't play much else. Yet for adults into pokemon you aren't given any real challenge if you aren't into the weird intricacies of multiplayer.

Caladrius

No. The evolution has to be triggered by the player. IIRC the activation is the first thing that occurs during the turn, before any attacks (including priority moves like quick attack). You get to attack the same turn it's initiated.

zroid

Banned
Reviews have really bummed me out with the news that there is no real improvement in AI behavior or any sort of difficulty setting.

I mean I get it, this game has to be accessible for kids and people who don't play much else. Yet for adults into pokemon you aren't given any real challenge if you aren't into the weird intricacies of multiplayer.

You really do have to create your own challenge in these games' regular story modes. Luckily, you're given the tools to easily do so. Picking weird strategies, taking battles against typing odds, and/or using severely underleveled or underpowered Pokémon can amp up the difficulty quite a bit.

For a serious challenge, you can even try to tackle Nuzlocke.

Firemind

So how does the online features work? Can you battle randoms?

Apparently, yes. Quite conveniently I might add.

Eurogamer said:
This final player-versus-player aspect of the game is so crucial to Pokémon X & Y that it is ever-present on the 3DS touchscreen. The Player Search System connects to the internet each time you play, showing icons that represent other online players around the world, grouped by 'friend', 'acquaintance' or 'passerby'. You can challenge anyone to a battle, trade Pokémon with them and even offer special gifts without even needing to enter a pause menu. There is almost no barrier between solo and online play; Game Freak's execution of this cumbersome design problem is nothing less than masterly.

PS. Team Y.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
How early in the game do you get charmander/ssquirtle/bulbasaur? And does every mega evolution have a x/y difference?

The rumour I saw said Bagon for Y, Gible for X (Both found in a similar spot). It makes more sense than Bagon/Axew since Bagon and Gible are more comparable.

Growlithe and Heracross for X and Vulpix and Pinsir for Y.

Take it with a grain of salt. There will be differences like this but trading is easier than ever apparently.

If this is true, this cements my Y. If Delphox can't be what I wanted, I'll just literally take Ninetails.

DaBoss

I think new Pokémon are the actual spoilers.

How did a gaffer get a pokemon named after him?

And if cloning is discovered, is that like a cheat?

OP is named after Froakie, not the other way around lol.

Yes it would be, but it would have to be a glitch in the game.

Caladrius

I think new Pokémon are the actual spoilers.

OP is named after Froakie, not the other way around lol.

Yes it would be, but it would have to be a glitch in the game.

I wonder how they're going to make the filter for pokebank. Clones and RNG'd pokemon would most likely be safe, yes? I keep a few for competitive and Battle Tower use.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if Nintendo now regrets simultaneous world release due to the leaks.

I'm sure a lot of people over there are pissed about the leaks, but I doubt they regret it. For the last 9 months they've been able to generate a lot more excitement with each announcement than in previous generations thanks to the global coordination of their reveals.

If anything, I could see them cutting whatever partnership they have with Corocoro when it comes to first time reveals. Having your announcements leaked consistently days in advance by some print media that probably only has a few hundred thousand readers can't be fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom