• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon X Pokemon Y |OT| Gotta Catch em All...NOW IN 3D!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mik317

This game ruled my weekend and now I wish I didn;t have work tommorrow lol.

20 hours...only JUST got the 4th badge. Most of my Pokes are around lv 40 so I am probably a bit overleveled...especially since I just spammed Megaevolution on the 4th gym.

It kinda breaks the game, since you basically have a Legendary now.

I think going forward, it needs to be tweaked a bit (like maybe don't allow it to be transform AND a move). It could be that Lucario is just hax tho.

Some generic notes:

Delphox becomes a beast after evolving which is funny since Braxien gets bodied a lot it seems.

Meowstick is gdlk. It learns so many moves so it can cover for other types. Shadow ball, Thunderbolt, Psychic...not even fair yo. So train that creepy kitty guys. It will pay off (so far).

Quick question:

How do you unlock more hairstyles?

Like I said earlier, the customization is a bit weak but it seems like it opens up later...I guess.

I'm having a blast with this game. Like having dreams and not wanting to do anything else type blasts.

GOTY? GOTY.

Yes, unless you find that bag that doubles your gain, in which case you'd get +24 form a L3.

And the EV items do not affect Super or Core Training.

Hmm so can traditional EV training still be more time effective than Super Training?

Not that it matters right now so early game. I'm probably only going to use it to EV train with amazing Abra I found. Mild Nature which isnt the best, and it has Inner Focus, but it has 30-31 for its speed and special attack IVs. Perfect for breeding.

ultron87

Haven't played one of these in awhile, so I remember that they'll typically learn moves earlier if you prevent them from evolving, but does that have any negatives on how their stats grow or anything like that?

Boogiepop

And, after having played WAY too much in the past two days, I've beaten it! A little disappointed to find that
it seems we are AGAIN locked to just a battle tower equivalent in the initial versions. I like the "third versions," but I really, really wish they'd stop purposefully gimping the initial versions to make them appear even more "improved." Bleh. Maybe one day that'll cross over, but apparently not this gen. Oh, and I'm a little concerned at the prospect of post-game, seeing as almost no new areas opened up outside of this small battle tower area. Oh well.

Also, can anyone tell me if the blatant legendary hiding spots peppered around the map contain brand new legendaries (IE for this gen), all old ones, or a mix? Spoiler tag it of course, and I'd prefer no names, just what variety they are. I may hold back a little if they're all Pokemon I already possess.

Zenaku

So, is the Hair Salon in Lumiose the only one in the game, and are those 4 styles the only ones available for the boy? If so, that's pretty lame >_>

With the female character, changing my hairstyle 15 times (used the full change, left it up to the stylist; might want to try doing just the fringe first to save cash) unlocked 2 extra hairstyles; ponytail and twintail.

-Horizon-

~11 hours in, 3 badges
Delphox is still awesome (level 41)
Just beat
successor Korrina and got her Lucario with mega stone, was not expecting that at all o.o

Anyone else think that the animation slows down in battle scenes when the screen splits between your Pokemon and the opponents? Even when 3D is turned off?

Fireblend

Banned
Haven't played one of these in awhile, so I remember that they'll typically learn moves earlier if you prevent them from evolving, but does that have any negatives on how their stats grow or anything like that?

Afaik there's no penalty in stat growth if you evolve at a later level. Each stat's formula depends on the Poke's base stats, IVs, EVs, level and nature, and those have nothing to do with when you evolved or at what level.

So I don't really know where else to ask this but since this is likely the biggest 3DS thread around atm, for anyone that had a regular 3DS and upgraded to an XL - how bad is the aliasing? If I have the screen a normal distance away from my face will it be noticeable?

Requiem173

Neo Member
I've wasted an hour just twirling around doing 360s on the skates ._. All the minute details they added to this game impress me way more than they should.

Regiruler

Modest Sigilyph with Magic Guard. Holy tits mode activated.

Glittering cave being in 3D made me cry for the rest of the overworld. On the bright side, I like Team Flare's varied pokemon distribution.

For some reason I keep expecting two pokemon out of the gym leaders and end up disappointed after I kill the second one. Grant was a pain in the ass a bit though what with
the two fossil pokemon

So I don't really know where else to ask this but since this is likely the biggest 3DS thread around atm, for anyone that had a regular 3DS and upgraded to an XL - how bad is the aliasing? If I have the screen a normal distance away from my face will it be noticeable?

I am playing on 3DS XL and it looks fine to me.

Also @ 2 above: I do believe 3DS charger works for 3DS XL.

Just downloading Y as I type this. I haven't played a ton of Pokemon...I've tried out a few of the games in the past for 10 hours or so each and haven't really delved too hardcore into them.

Any tips for a beginner?

FUCK

I forgot that HM moves can't be unlearned or forgotten by level up and put one on my starter. It's not a problem now, as long as I bench them. How far into the game is the move deleter?

Teknoman

Is there a specific training to take to stock up on reset bags? Also does the game ever introduce the player to Pokemon-amie / Super Training or is that something you would have had to check the manual, mess with on your own?

Same with Game Sync (I havent hit the 2nd gym yet).

After playing the Pokemon ranger games. I find it weird that the rangers in this actually capture them in Pokeballs. Heh.

Maybe they do that now. Must be out of the loop.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Do you need to restore the power to Lumiose before you can do the things you need to do to get in there?
Yeah, pretty sure you can't accomplish the list of tasks floating around before then, but I am still unsure about the list.

Does Super Training account for the 252 limit for EVs in an individual stat? Like if I have 251 EVs and I try to do a super training for +12, will it give me +1? Or will it refuse to let me do it? Or give me +0?

Captain N

So I got a male chespin and female chespin breeding. Ive got about 50 level 1 Chespins. The hunt for Shiny is taking forevrt.

Teknoman

Just downloading Y as I type this. I haven't played a ton of Pokemon...I've tried out a few of the games in the past for 10 hours or so each and haven't really delved too hardcore into them.

Any tips for a beginner?

Catch everything, talk to everyone, explore, and train what you like.

Also try to have a diverse team.

Panzon

Finally managed to pick it up today. Can't wait to start playing. Been reading this thread and felt so left out.

No clue who's gonna be on my team though

Anura

Just got a snorunt from the friend safari but I need a dawn stone to evolve it. Anyone know where I can find some of those?

Fireblend

Banned

Any tips for a beginner?

Don't worry about the "hardcore" part of the game until you've reached the postgame. Play the games at your own pace, with a team composed of those Pokemon you think look the best, talk to everyone and explore as much as you can.

If by the time you finish the main story you like the game, you can start looking into natures and EV training and movesets and type spread. Trying to get all technical before that if you've never played a previous game will get in the way of your enjoyment, IMO.

Korosenai

So if I get one at 252. Breed it I get 252 another 252 from that one?
Youre allowed to put 252 ev's into two stats (conpletely maxing them out) and 4 ev's into a third stat. The game wont let you go over 252 in any stat, so when you stop getting evs in a certain stat, youll know its maxed out. So you wont have to keep track of evs anymore, the game does everything for you. Just pick the two stats you want to max out, and do the games for them.

Teknoman

Don't worry about the "hardcore" part of the game until you've reached the postgame. Play the games at your own pace, with a team composed of those Pokemon you think look the best, talk to everyone and explore as much as you can.

If by the time you finish the main story you like the game, you can start looking into natures and EV training and movesets and type spread. Trying to get all technical before that if you've never played a previous game will get in the way of your enjoyment, IMO.

Definitely. Also dont be afraid to do improptu battles with other GAF on your friends list, or just people on the PSS in general. Win or Lose, you'll learn something new.

Plus you get Pokemiles for free stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom