• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon X Pokemon Y |OT| Gotta Catch em All...NOW IN 3D!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm so can traditional EV training still be more time effective than Super Training?

Not that it matters right now so early game. I'm probably only going to use it to EV train with amazing Abra I found. Mild Nature which isnt the best, and it has Inner Focus, but it has 30-31 for its speed and special attack IVs. Perfect for breeding.
I would say it goes like this:
Super Training/Core Training
+: Is available as soon as you get your starter, mere minutes into the game.
+: Can be more fun than battling, if you don't like that.
+: No need to get other items - gains of +12 are a few minigames away.
+: No need for careful EV counting - gains from ST/CT are capped at 252 per stat (instead of 255), so there's no unneeded wasting of EVs.
+: It's easy to tell when something has maxed a stat - the game will tell you that you can't gain more in that stat, when you complete a challenge or try to use a bag for that stat.
+: Reset Bags, which wipe the EVs from a Pokemon, are perfect for when you need to retrain something for whatever reason.
+: ST/CT is the same difficulty no matter what level your Pokemon is at.
-: You have to do external tracking in order to get the exact number of a stat. Either that, or use a Reset Bag and restart after using it and viewing the stat drop. This is for when you need some number below 252 for some specific reason.
-: EV reducing berries are more finely tuned than Reset Bags.
-: Battling can be easier if you set it up right. Downside is the setting up...

Regular EV training:
+: Can be speedy if you know what you're doing - 10 Vitamins and 12 battles with a Power-Item holding, Pokerus-infected Pokemon, could probably take you less skill than carefully shooting targets and hitting bags.
+: EV reducing is more finely tuned with the Berries.
-: To fully exploit the maximum effectiveness of EV training, you need Power items and Pokerus. Pokerus is extremely difficult to get if you don't already have it, and Power items require BP, which can be difficult to get if you aren't good at getting points at a Battle Facility.
-: You have to know which Pokemon give which EVs in which stat ahead of time, as well as where to find said Pokemon at a high enough encounter rate that you can keep battling without wasting time. This may be a bit difficult in XY...
-: It requires a lot of Berries to fully de-EV a Pokemon.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Horde battles are absolutely terrible.

Yeah, I really don't like how they devolve to horde pokemon doing long ass status attacks which just serves to make the battles even longer.

A horde of bellsprout constantly using sleep powder? Aaaaaaaaaaargh.

Haven't played since Gen III. Holy shit, the early as hell, free, passive non-held item all-affecting EXP Share is seriously blowing my mind with how fucking good it is and how much it changed my game plan. I normally wouldn't have evolved one of the Shitty Early Butterflies™ (I'm 90% sure that's a legit archetype) and holy shit, Vivillion is wrecking early game with Struggle Bug, and wrecking just as hard the horde fights. I'm just a little bit disappointed they gave the Crappy Early Pidgey™ an actual interesting subtype now because
holy shit the new stupid sexy Poke-Professor just gave me a Charmander and now the types are going to overlap
but that's like a First Poke-World Problem.

Game kicks every kind of ass so far and I don't even have the second badge.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I gave Chespin my everstone. Too cute to let evolve. Same with Zubat. He flaps his wings so hard! :)

Agreed.

Though one clever bit was a horde with Zangoose and a Seviper. The Zangoose all attacked the Seviper.

Disagreed and here's why!
1378078_700217060006820_1090579233_n.jpg

Horde of Guplin! One was a shiny! Has it been confirmed that shinies are easier to get in this game? This is my first random shiny with out the use of the poke-radar that I've ever gotten.(I rocked the hell out of the pokeradar in dppt, can't wait to transfer all them over)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
It's a shame that horde battles don't let you use your whole party like a dragon quest battle. That'd be too radical.

Is there a specific training to take to stock up on reset bags? Also does the game ever introduce the player to Pokemon-amie / Super Training or is that something you would have had to check the manual, mess with on your own?

Same with Game Sync (I havent hit the 2nd gym yet).
Just hit the default bag, it should pop up eventually.

ivysaur12

Banned
Lumoise is overwhelming, and not in a good way. I feel like I'm getting lost a lot. Castelia felt much more manageable, and less slowdown.

About to head onto Route 10, and since I'm running a Nuzlocke, the first Pokemon I see is what I get.

What are the general Route 10 encounters? Do I see Goomy on that route?

ramyeon

Eh it is shockingly easy when you get used to it. It is as easy as horizontal for the sideways ones, vertical for the oblong ones. Or maybe I have that reversed.
Ehh not enough gain to warrant the extra time it takes. I can finish the Magneton one twice in the same amount of time, and get Sp. Attack L bags almost every time. Only do the Magnezone one when I have double up bags.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom