• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon X Pokemon Y |OT| Gotta Catch em All...NOW IN 3D!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atram

I have a question about breeding, I've never looked into it before. I want to use Tyrunt but the one I got has the nature I least wanted and I haven't saved for a ages so I couldn't reload, so I am thinking I will breed another. I don't have a ditto and I am not sure what to breed it with. Also how do I control which species the egg will hatch into, or is it just random?

female = breeded species

I have a question about breeding, I've never looked into it before. I want to use Tyrunt but the one I got has the nature I least wanted and I haven't saved for a ages so I couldn't reload, so I am thinking I will breed another. I don't have a ditto and I am not sure what to breed it with. Also how do I control which species the egg will hatch into, or is it just random?

It hatches into the species of the female parent, so if you have a Male Tyrunt, the only way to get another is to either trade for one or to get a Ditto(which comes way later).

AngryMoth

It hatches into the species of the female parent, so if you have a Male Tyrunt, the only way to get another is to either trade for one or to get a Ditto(which comes way later).
Mine is female fortunately. I'm reading about egg groups, I think it might be in the dragon egg group which is perfect because I have a male bagon I can breed with.

Mine is female fortunately. I'm reading about egg groups, I think it might be in the dragon egg group which is perfect because I have a male bagon I can breed with.

That'd be my guess as well. Sadly egg groups are a crapshoot until someone rips them from the game(Scrafty is also in the Dragon egg group for some reason).

kubus

I finally caught a Heliotile, been wanting one forever. Actually, I caught three since I'm trying to learn this whole Pokemon Nature thing (I played all Pokemon games and never did anything with it). I don't play competitively, so I never bothered with it.

I got a Careful, Adamant and a Sassy Helioptile. If I understand this right, I at least don't want the Adamant or Careful ones, because those both have a decreased Special Attack stat, and Helioptile is probably more Special Attack-oriented, right?

So should I go with Sassy then? (Sp. Def up, Speed down)
Or maybe go back and catch another one...

Ughh this stuff is making me so OCD ;_; Should've never looked this up, lol

I finally caught a Heliotile, been wanting one forever. Actually, I caught three since I'm trying to learn this whole Pokemon Nature thing (I played all Pokemon games and never did anything with it). I don't play competitively, so I never bothered with it.

I got a Careful, Adamant and a Sassy Helioptile. If I understand this right, I at least don't want the Adamant or Careful ones, because those both have a decreased Special Attack stat, and Helioptile is probably more Special Attack-oriented, right?

So should I go with Sassy then? (Sp. Def up, Speed down)
Or maybe go back and catch another one...

As a rule of thumb, Speed down is bad in 99% of cases. On your Pokemon you either want Sp atk up or Speed up(as it's an offensively based Pokemon). For in-game purposes though, having speed and Sp.atk neutral is decent enough.

kangaskhan_avatar_by_neoriceisgood-d6qfmrf.png
solrock_avatar_by_neoriceisgood-d6qfmrh.png
tyrunt_avatar_by_neoriceisgood-d6qfmrk.png
hawlucha_avatar_by_neoriceisgood-d6qfmra.png

Catching up to spriting the pokemon I've gotten gets harder as the designs get more complex.

Feel free to use any of these as avatars, first person to call em get em.

kubus

As a rule of thumb, Speed down is bad in 99% of cases. On your Pokemon you either want Sp atk up or Speed up(as it's an offensively based Pokemon). For in-game purposes though, having speed and Sp.atk neutral is decent enough.
So what you're basically saying is, all three Helioptiles I caught have crappy natures :p

Back into the desert I go! Thanks for the advice :) I'll keep it in mind!

Even if you didn't look it up the whole why is this stat blue (down) and this stat pink (up) will be a question you ask or answer sometime. I hope I got those the right way around...I've never been good at this nature stuff.

Personally I run on the assumption that I am unlikely to use story stuff for competitive (breeding is likely to take place and everstone might help here) so am a bit less fussy on that front. I'm using a -def +atk Alakazam (is synchronise rigging nature still a thing, better not use it for random encounters if so and I can't see that ever being good...) and a +atk -spd Gardevour. They're barely acceptable and ultimately that is enough for me.

Even if you didn't look it up the whole why is this stat blue (down) and this stat pink (up) will be a question you ask or answer sometime. I hope I got those the right way around...I've never been good at this nature stuff.

Personally I run on the assumption that I am unlikely to use story stuff for competitive so am a bit less fussy on that front. I'm using a -def +atk Alakazam and a +atk -spd Gardevour. They're acceptable and ultimately thats enough for me.

Pretty much. in-game most things can work since you can overcome most difficulties by leveling more. Competitively you have to min/max to death.

Awesome sprites as always Neorice! :D

Maybe you could sprite people's trainers based on photos from the game in the appropriate outfits? That'd be sweet :D

--

Also to echo something I asked earlier...

To anyone with a shiny Pokemon... does the sprite for that Pokemon in the box/save screen have its shiny colours?

Forkball

So what you're basically saying is, all three Helioptiles I caught have crappy natures :p

Back into the desert I go! Thanks for the advice :) I'll keep it in mind!
Honestly don't worry about it until post game. Then you can find a Ditto with the nature you want, give it an Everstone, and can perfectly EV train it with the best nature from level 1. But to just beat the game you don't need a premium Poke.

Forkball

The main city is absurdly big once you unlock all the parts. Is there another clothing store? I've only seen the one in the beginning part of the town and found a fancy store but they kicked me out.

I also just got kicked out of a sushi restaurant. No wonder the place it's based on had a violent revolution.

Is it possible to competely negate the negative aspect of a Pokemon's nature? I've got a couple dudes with Quiet and the hit to speed is painful. If I go hard on Speed training will it ever balance out? Is so, how long is it gonna take?

Acrylic7

lol, burnt my hand petting Charmeleon's tail.
and why does she get mad when I pet her head, but gets happy when I pet that crotch:s

Do we have any explanation as to why Dragon attacks can't damage fairy pokemons?
One is from a boys fairytale and the other is from a girls fairytale.

Dragons cant beat Fairies because fairies aren't in male aimed fantasy tales.

I'm pulling this out of my ass. In other news I have a SECOND MODEST MIME JR up for grabs.

Is it possible to competely negate the negative aspect of a Pokemon's nature? I've got a couple dudes with Quiet and the hit to speed is painful. If I go hard on Speed training will it ever balance out? Is so, how long is it gonna take?
Depends on how the high the base stat is but in many cases you can cancel it out (if my not quite not recalling the maths calculation is correct, base stat >~130 can not be cancelled). However, it comes at the cost of not being able to train other stats.

(is synchronise rigging nature still a thing, better not use it for random encounters if so and I can't see that ever being good...)
Given how the Alakazam is Lonley and the Miltank and Slowpoke (up on GTS, nickname Slowtaku) that I caught with it in lead are also that...looks likely.

Do we have any explanation as to why Dragon attacks can't damage fairy pokemons?
Video game logic. Submarines can be blocked by planes. Digging Pokemon can't be hit by Earthquake provided they are levitating...or flying type

Acheteedo

I really admire Game Freak for going all out on this game. With so many Pokemon to animate I've been stunned that each and every one of them is animated really well. Historically Game Freak have been seriously lacking in technical ambition, I think they must have tripled their dev team numbers in order to achieve this. Or perhaps they're outsourcing like crazy.

L~A

So, played a loooot this week-end (about 10h in 2 days), and I really love the game so far. I really have nothing negative to say about the game, except 3D. I knew about the lack of 3D in the overworld, but I wasn't expecting the FPS drops in battle to be that noticeable in 3D. I just ended up disabling it entirely, which is something I never did with any 3DS game so far.

And honestly, it's the only negative thing I have to say about this brilliant game. It's a bit like having one wonderful dinner at a restaurant, then they bring you the wrong flavour of ice-cream for dessert. Nothing to complain about, but it's still a bit of a pity. Beucase man, am I in love with this game. It's really bloody fantastic.

Acheteedo

So, played a loooot this week-end (about 10h in 2 days), and I really love the game so far. I really have nothing negative to say about the game, except 3D. I knew about the lack of 3D in the overworld, but I wasn't expecting the FPS drops in battle to be that noticeable in 3D. I just ended up disabling it entirely, which is something I never did with any 3DS game so far.

Yeah that's a big disappointment to me, I'm a huge fan of 3D on the 3DS, even when the game looks slightly worse (usually in the form of harsh aliasing). I guess that's the problem, the game hasn't got anything visually downgraded in 3D mode so the frames per second takes a massive hit. I've turned it off too, but begrudgingly so as it otherwise looks fantastic in that mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom