• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon X Pokemon Y |OT| Gotta Catch em All...NOW IN 3D!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeZMehK

Holy crap Eevee is a bitch to catch or what? I just wasted 6 Pokeballs on it. I had him paralyzed and with only 1 HP left and it still wouldn't get caught. Eventually died because of Leech Seed :/.

Even Snorlax was much easier.

I had to use a couple of ultraballs to catch him...and just one of 'em. Lol

been a while but question about pokemon that evolve with stones, are there ones that can still learn new moves or is heart scales the only way to get them?

Zelias

Banned
50+ but has to be raining. And I found rain!!
Just to add to this, you can just use a Rare Candy on Sliggoo provided the other conditions are met (50+, raining where you are), and it will evolve.

Also, Salamence looks awkward in Sky Battles, since it only flaps its wings occasionally it just looks like it's floating most of the time :/

I wouldn't be surprised if the type chart had been tweaked entirely because of Aegislash. It would be astonishingly broken without its Dark and Ghost weaknesses- it's pretty damned beastly as it is.

kubus

I had to use a couple of ultraballs to catch him...and just one of 'em. Lol
I guess I'll try that next time. I actually have a normal Pokeballs-only policy but this is nuts :[

edit: HAH finally caught it with a normal Pokeball. Sleep Powder ftw.

SeZMehK

Just to add to this, you can just use a Rare Candy on Sliggoo provided the other conditions are met (50+, raining where you are), and it will evolve.

Also, Salamence looks awkward in Sky Battles, since it only flaps its wings occasionally it just looks like it's floating most of the time :/

You could say the same for Swellow. It looks like it's just gliding. Lol.

As I'm doing Super Training, it occurs to me that the punching bags are all based on pokemon known for a specific stat.

HP: Azurill line
Attack: Machop line
Defense: Aron line
S. Attack: Litwick line
S. Defense: ???
Speed: Zubat line

Anyone figured out what the special ones are?

Edit: After getting another one, it suddenly clicked for special attack. Still have no clue on special defense.

Anth1888

When's the best time to evolve Doublade - is there any specific moves that I would miss on if I was to evolve him early?

Where do you find the dusk stone anyway?

Hugstable

Banned
Quick question: If I turned off the forced save option, would it be possible then to get all 3 Kanto Starters by obtaining one and then trading it to someone without saving and then hard resetting and doing that for all 3 and then trade them back so I would have all 3 Kanto Starters under my OT?

I really want all 3 old starters even though I only plan to use Charmander and possibly Bulba. Don't know of any other way to really get them cause I'm pretty sure people are already asking for other starters for them. Then again what city is the Daycare in? Probably could start breeding my Froakie.

3d is so random in this game. fireworks were in 3d. glittering cave is in 3d. double battles is 2d. gang bang battles are 2d.

Yet the game clearly looks like it was built for 3D with the angles used.

Betting they ran out of time for optimization. The framerate isn't perfect either and you notice big drops when in battle and the screen is divided with profile shots of both monsters.

Oddly enough no framedrops when camera is panning the field.

Really curious if these framerate issues can be patched in. Framerate is quite shoddy for nintendo.
The lack of 3D is bothering me more than I thought it would, and I wasn't too happy about it when I first found out. If games like Animal Crossing, SMT IV, Fire Emblem, and Super Mario 3D Land can run fairly smoothly with 3D on I see no reason why this game shouldn't be able to other than a lack of time and/or programming talent. It's pretty disappointing, to be honest.

I expect better from Nintendo.

Zelias

Banned
As I'm doing Super Training, it occurs to me that the punching bags are all based on pokemon known for a specific stat.

HP: Azurill line
Attack: Machop line
Defense: Aron line
S. Attack: ???
S. Defense: ???
Speed: Zubat line

Anyone figured out what the special ones are?
S. Atk is the Litwick line I believe.

Berordn

Quick question: If I turned off the forced save option, would it be possible then to get all 3 Kanto Starters by obtaining one and then trading it to someone without saving and then hard resetting and doing that for all 3 and then trade them back so I would have all 3 Kanto Starters under my OT?

I really want all 3 old starters even though I only plan to use Charmander and possibly Bulba. Don't know of any other way to really get them cause I'm pretty sure people are already asking for other starters for them. Then again what city is the Daycare in? Probably could start breeding my Froakie.

Trades will always save the game, regardless of if you save before initiating Wi-Fi.

kewlmyc

Does anybody know a good HM slave pokemon in this game. I don't think anyone will be able to top Tropicus with it learning Cut, Strength, and Fly

Hugstable

Banned
Trades will always save the game, regardless of if you save before initiating Wi-Fi.

Thanks! Good to know haha. So I would guess that probably breeding alot of my Froakie and searching for the exact trades of Froakie for Kanto Starters would probably be my best bet of getting them? Gonna go with Charizard then as my choice since he's the one I really need for my team.

Calcium

Banned
I am loving this game. I spent almost the entire weekend playing. The big surprise for me is Pokemon Amie. I thought it would be a little mini-game that I'd end up ignoring, but it's actually a really nice feature. The benefits from having a high affection are worth the time invested except for that damn "Chesnaught is in a pinch. It looks like it is going to cry." message. I feel bad every time I read that.

I have 6 badges already and I'm well on my way to being the very best - like no one ever was.

I really like Chesnaught, His move pool seems way more interesting than the other two starters. Had a blast using him in story mode. Does the tank idea very well.

Metagame though =/ his typing, meh.

Caladrius

Does anybody know a good HM slave pokemon in this game. I don't think anyone will be able to top Tropius with it learning Cut, Strength, and Fly

Bibarel is the true king of field moves (cut, strength, surf, Dive, Waterfall, rock smash, flash) and is available as early as route 3. I hear Pangoro is also a pretty good HM slave with good attack. Helioptile and its evolution can also run surf, cut and strength.

kewlmyc

charazard! >.>"

(blaziken found more use for me, sorry!)
Using both Charazard and Blaziken as HM Slaves seems like a waste of a good pokemon. My Blaziken is going to be my sweeper since I EV maxed it and I picked Bulbasaur instead of Charmander.

Where do I find this Tropicus?

Tropius, my bad on the spelling. I don't think he's available in X/Y. Which sucks.

Bibarel is the true king of field moves (cut, strength, surf, Dive, Waterfall, rock smash, flash) and is available as early as route 3. I hear Pangoro is also pretty good HM slave with good attack. Helioptile and its evolution can also run surf, cut and strength.
So I still need to find a flying pokemon? Damn. Thanks though.

Dr. Buni

Got one on my fifth. Do you know when to use it on Doublade so I don't miss out on some good moves? Is there a move list maybe?
I evolved mine on level 42, but don't worry about moves. You can get Heart Scales quite easily in this game to use in the Move Relearner. By the way, the first thing you will want to do after evolving Doublade is going there to teach it King's Shield and Sacred Sword.

I evolved mine on level 42, but don't worry about moves. You can get Heart Scales quite easily in this game to use in the Move Relearner. By the way, the first thing you will want to do after evolving Doublade is going there to teach it King's Shield and Sacred Sword.
Where is the Move Relearner?

Alright. Thank you! :)

venusaur_avatar_by_neoriceisgood-d6qftzm.png

Why you so fat venusaur..

TMs are expensive or what? Sanstorm and Hail for 50k each...then again I do have nearly 100k (amulet coin and prize money buff make it easy to rack the cash in).

Beat fifth gym. Is there a fairy TM anywhere? I want to train a Sylveon.
I do not know but a level 19 Eevee has baby doll eyes (fairy move). If you find a female Eevee you could also breed to get lower level Eevee.

I have... 3 miles and they cost 500 haha.
I'm sure I had several hundred when I first reached that point of the game. I'll check tonight but if that is the case then I guess they are based of real life steps

Holy crap Eevee is a bitch to catch or what? I just wasted 6 Pokeballs on it. I had him paralyzed and with only 1 HP left and it still wouldn't get caught. Eventually died because of Leech Seed :/.

Even Snorlax was much easier.
They are deceptively hard, but easier than Snorlax. Let's look the catch rate table (I assume the values are unchanged since gen 5, who knows maybe Snorlax is easier due to story):
Snorlax : 25
Eevee : 45
In equal circumstances (same % health left) Eevee is more likely (higher=easier**) so you can pin that one down to bad luck (but equip yourself with the tools of maths and you'll get less upset at failure). But really both those numbers are low and have some element of luck when you're using great balls or worse. Also sleep is slightly better than paralysis for improving catch chances (or at least it was in previous gens), it is a 2.5x multiplier (if using gen V rules, otherwise 2x) vs a 1.5x one.

*-If you want the full grit then go here (the simplified probability and equation a are something to bear in mind if you' are mathematically minded). If you compare with the catch rate table rarer things like Bagon and Mawile have the catch rate of 45 too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom