• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon X Pokemon Y |OT| Gotta Catch em All...NOW IN 3D!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berordn

It's not like Gen III is unpopular enough to not warrant a remake.

Beside, GB game get a GB advance remake, GBC gets a DS remake, the GBA is two generations away from the 3DS.

If you're going by that logic it's actually three generations removed, since DSi was an incremental bump. I'd also argue that it is pretty unpopular, Gen III tends to be the point where most people bowed out of the series. It's mostly anecdotal evidence admittedly, but I don't know anyone who actually prefers RSE over any previous gen.

Cue GAF gen 3 love in 3, 2...

Where do I get Surf? I can't find it

It's given to you automatically as you progress in the story. Right after the third badge, I think?

Jarekx

I love my Tyrunt. The model looks so good.

0087 - 3702 -9739 is my FC. Trying to get some more people my friends list for later.

Send me a PM if you decide to add me. :p

Meier

I did a wonder trade, offered up a level 15 Roselia and got a level 60 Druddigon in return. Dude wrecks shit.

Wow! I figured there was some sort of parameters that would limit that based on the Pokemon I've been getting (all similarly leveled).

spiritfox

If you're going by that logic it's actually three generations removed, since DSi was an incremental bump. I'd also argue that it is pretty unpopular, Gen III tends to be the point where most people bowed out of the series. It's mostly anecdotal evidence admittedly, but I don't know anyone who actually prefers RSE over any previous gen.

Cue GAF gen 3 love in 3, 2...

It's given to you automatically as you progress in the story. Right after the third badge, I think?

Hoenn is awesome. People who hate it hate life.
It was my first game.

jokkir

Awesome. Got a Chestnaut and a Greninja just now. Time to evolve my Charmeleon as well.

Where the hell is the second gym anyway lol

Blue-kun

Up to the fifth badge now, but noticed last night that my Tyrunt didn't evolve when it should (think it's Lv.39?). Then found out that the little critter only evolves during the day. Does anyone know if I missed any moves by not evolving him at that level? He's up to 42 now...

Anyhow, loving the games. Especially how much variety there is in terms of Pokemon. B/W 2 were already like this, but this one takes it a step further.

KLonso

Evolving my Swirlix by trading shouldn't make it lose any moves, no matter the level, right?

Also, does anyone know if pokerus works with super training?

ahdurian

man...finally got a Heracross. Now to find a place to train it up so it's equal level with my others. (it's Lvl28, all of my team is Lvl36)

Also, where can I get Rock Smash? I feel like I've missed it since I just finished the fourth gym

PowderedToast

can anyone briefly explain IV/EV and super training? as a casual player i'm new to this stuff. through the training could i theoretically just max out every single stat? thanks

can anyone briefly explain IV/EV and super training? as a casual player i'm new to this stuff. through the training could i theoretically just max out every single stat? thanks

IVs: Pokemon will have IV values at birth/capture that can never be changed. These values range from 0 to 31. They add that much to a stat by level 100.

EVs: Effort values are gotten by Super Training or by defeating enemy Pokemon. Every 4 EVs of a specific type (HP for example) adds +1 to that stat. EVs cap at 252 for a single stat. This means you can add +63 (252/4) to a Pokemon's stat using EVs. Pokemon can have 510 EVs maximum. Many people thus choose a 252/252/6 spread and pick two stats they want to max. You can really only max out two stats.

thefil

6 hours in, so far I think it's my favourite game since Gold/Silver (I haven't played B2W2). It's sort of capturing the sense of adventure in those games, and the 3D battles are a 12 year old me's dream.

I doubt it will surpass HGSS for me, but I may actually finish this, unlike Platinum/BW.

Also, feel weird that none of my Pokemon have evolved despite all nearing level 20. I'm using:

Honedge
Pikachu
Espurr
Farfetch'd
Pancham
Goat Goat (I forget it's real name, that's the nickname. Grass goat)

Zalman

It's pretty complicated, but here's a brief explanation: EVs (Effort Values) and IVs (Individual Values) determine your Pokémon's stats. The point of them is to make all Pokémon unique.

As you may know, there are six different stats in Pokémon - HP, Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed. Every stat has a hidden IV between 0 and 31, 31 being the best. There is no way to change these, and they don't even tell you in the game what your Pokémon's IVs are. That's something you have to use online calculators for.

On the other hand, EVs are something you can change. Every Pokémon has 510 EVs to use. For every 4 EVs you give to a specific stat, that stat will get 1 extra point. For instance, if I give my Pokémon 8 EVs in Speed, my Pokémon's Speed stat will increase by 2.

There's also something called Natures. There are 25 different ones, and they all increase a specific stat while decreasing another. Which Nature your Pokémon gets is completely random, but there are ways to manipulate it in the game through breeding, abilities etc. For example, the Adamant Nature increases the Attack stat while making the Pokémon's Special Attack weaker.

man...finally got a Heracross. Now to find a place to train it up so it's equal level with my others. (it's Lvl28, all of my team is Lvl36)

Also, where can I get Rock Smash? I feel like I've missed it since I just finished the fourth gym

its before the 2nd gym. Just some random guy in town lol.

I loved Pokemon Blue and Silver, but the last Pokemon game I played was Diamond and I never bothered to finish it because it got to feel a little tired to me. Is there a decent chance of me enjoying X/Y?

Robin64

Let's name the Gen 3 remakes! I'm going for Radiant Ruby and Sparkling Sapphire.

Going to hatch some Squirtle eggs when I get home and send them out on Wonder Trade. GAFfers are welcome to them too, all I ask in exchange is a Scatterbug caught in your game.

thefil

I loved Pokemon Blue and Silver, but the last Pokemon game I played was Diamond and I never bothered to finish it because it got to feel a little tired to me. Is there a decent chance of me enjoying X/Y?

Take with a huge grain of salt (I'm only 6 hours in) but so far it's the best Pokemon game since Gold/Silver (but not as good as HGSS).

Dragoshi1

My team needs adjusting too.

Currently;

Charizard/BLAZE JR. Lv48 Super Training for Spd and SpAtk
Holding Charizardite X
-Fire Fang
-Shadow Claw
-Flamethrower
-Power-Up Punch

Greninja/Zabuza Lv44 Super Training for Spd and Atk
Holding Quick Claw
-Water Pulse
-Substitute
-Water Shuriken
-Surf

Tyrantrum/Tyrannos Lv43 Super Training for Atk and Def
Holding Rocky Helmet
-Rock Polish
-Rock Tomb
-Crunch
-Dragon Claw

Honedge Lv32 Raising into an Aegislash
-Aerial Ace
-Swords Dance
-Shadow Sneak
-Automize

Klefki/Ringo Lv34 Only decent Fairy Type
-Crafty Shield
-Foul Play
-Torment
-Mirror Shot

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
its before the 2nd gym. Just some random guy in town lol.

hah yeah, in typical pokemon npc fashion you just talk to a random guy for the first time and he gives you an important item because he likes the cut of your gib.

Poke'gaf, Axew or Bagon?

I'd go axew, Salamence looks kind of boring/generic to me, Haxorus looks like a badass murder machine.

Roto13

There's a good chance the reason you got sick of Diamond is because it was so sickeningly slow paced. Like every little thing you did, every attack, every damage animation, took about five times as long as it should. X/Y (and Black/White and even HeartGold/SoulSilver, for that matter) are much faster.

I have a bunch of questions:

Is Aurorus primarily a special attacker or physical attacker?

Can Hawlucha learn fly (I was thinking of making it my flyer)?

Is Pyroar a special attacker or physical attacker? And how good is it? Does it learn any good fire type moves?

I'm gonna go catch like 30 magikarps and wonder trade them all.
Magikarp are a surpisingly common request on GTS. Makes me regret not having more of them. Tonights taks: Restock Chespin, start stocking Charmander (got a female for trading female Bulbasaur) and stock some

Old Rod. I ONLY caught Luvdisc on that thing.
I hate how they know take down so false swipe is not reliable (as it may recoil itself to death).

Got a shiny in wonder trade
Either hacked or someone hates zigzagoon
Some people seemingly hate shinies is all I can assume from how "easy" some of the GTS trades have been (due to lacking stock of the species I missed out, Meditite and Miltank you could have been mine :( ).

Beaten but another perspective helps sometimes.
So pokemon stars are based on 3 things. Base stats of that species. There are then modifiers:
Nature : +10% to one stat -10% to another (may be same stat, this is what the pink and blue stats are about). Some natures suit themselves to different roles. It becomes really important in competitive play but for more casual do not worry so much.
IV : Think of these as genetic variance. You have little control over these.
EV : There are what battling Pokemon and super training contribute to. Beating a Pokemon gives 1-3 points (usually in one stats, sometimes these points are spread in multiple stats) while the super training gives 4-12 (depending on difficulty).

You can not max out every stat as a given stat maxes at 255 (but competitive players only go up to 252 as the other 3 points do not add any stat points) but a Pokemon can only have 510 points in total.

Generally you want to play to a Pokemons strengths or at the very least do not put it into areas which will not benefit (there is no point training alkazam in attack when it has a high special attack stat and uses special moves rather than physical ones).

Man. Iv never leveled up Pokemon so fast before. Only just got to the ice/snow cave and almost everyone is in their fifties.

I was replaying Soul Silver before X & Y can came out. My team was barely hitting the forties when I got to the Elite four.

BWi6RL1CYAA_qkk.jpg

entremet

Poke'gaf, Axew or Bagon?

They're both decent.

Axew stays pure Dragon and may have Mold Breaking ability, which is amazing. His base states don't reach the level of Bagons' final evolution--Salamence.

Salamence is a pure beast, tho. It does have 4x weakness to Ice, though.

Kiraly

They're both decent.

Axew stays pure Dragon and may have Mold Breaking ability, which is amazing. His base states don't reach the level of Bagons' final evolution--Salamence.

Salamence is a pure beast, tho. It does have 4x weakness to Ice, though.

What does Mold Breaker do? Mine has Rivalry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom