• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon X Pokemon Y |OT| Gotta Catch em All...NOW IN 3D!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart444

My advice would be to try some more with the eggs and get that female.

I would but I ran out of money. Did something a little stupid and left a lvl1 Charmander that jumped to level 12 in a few minutes after I got two eggs from the daycare person.

Cost me most of my money :(

Speaking of the GTS, why is it so many people put up a Ditto and want a Ditto? Just seems pointless.

ffdgh

I would but I ran out of money. Did something a little stupid and left a lvl1 Charmander that jumped to level 12 in a few minutes after I got two eggs to hatch.

Speaking of the GTS, why is it so many people put up a Ditto and want a Ditto? Just seems pointless.

Foreign dittos for shiny egg breeding most likely.

I would but I ran out of money. Did something a little stupid and left a lvl1 Charmander that jumped to level 12 in a few minutes after I got two eggs to hatch.

To take advantage of the Masuda method (breeding Pokemon from different regions results in higher chance of hatching a shiny)

If you use pokémon from different countries to breed, the chances of the offspring being shiny increase IIRC.

Kyzer

Banned

Masuda Method. They want a different region ditto

God damn I hate Lumiose city. It's so confusing to navigate and what is up with all these useless cafés? I don't understand :(

It really is. And the taxi costs add up when you're looking for something specific.

Lost Hotel spoilers:
Trying to get permission to see the boss is why I hate the city. You have to find four skaters in the city, and one of them is in a certain cafe. There's quite a few of those!

entremet

OldManYellingAtClouds.jpg

Why fix what isn't broken is what I'm going by. :)

The old way with Pokérus and Power Items could take around the same time or maybe less with battle animations turned off.

Just keep a bunch of Sticky Notes(tm) to tally 'em up.

But, like I said, I'll give Super Training a chance again.

What kills me is the "THERE'S A BLACK OUT YOU CAN'T GO HERE" hard hat dudes.

I feel stupid after going to them 5x in a row because I don't know where I am going.

Sticky notes? lol. That sounds awful.

Stuart444

Oh, so that's the Masuda method people keep mentioning. I actually got a Korean Ditto earlier... guess I'll see if I can get a Shiny sometime later in the game when my funds have been replenished

clemenx

Banned
Does Pokerus and Power Items affect the amount of points gained in Super Training? Because if not I can see Spindashing's point. The amount of time required to EV train Pokemon the "old way" is greatly exaggerated. You just have to know your spots.

Magnus

Just a heads up guys, starters in hot demand on the gts right now. You can literally get anything you want within a minute of putting it up.

Just from Chespin alone i've gotten Fennekin, Froakie, Charmander, Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Amaura, Tyrunt, Clauncher, Skrelp, and Togepi. Gonna try for a Torchic next.

Awesome. Time to unleash my army of Chespins, Bulbasaurs and Froakies into the wild and spruce up me dex.

Sticky notes? lol. That sounds awful.
It's really not bad as it seems? It's a good way to keep track of where you are. I would imagine that you would need to do a similar thing while Super Training.

Tbh I doubt that, you can complete the super trainings in less than 30 seconds and they give you +12 EV, there's no way you can do it that fast :p
Pokémon that usually give out a base +3 EV's towards a certain field will give out +14
EVs when your Pokémon have Pokérus and a Power Items.

It's +12 if a Pokémon that you battle gives out +2 EVs normally.

These battles are real quick. I never spent more than 40/45 minutes EV training in my life.

Does Pokerus and Power Items affect the amount of points gained in Super Training? Because if not I can see Spindashing's point. The amount of time required to EV train Pokemon the "old way" is greatly exaggerated. You just have to know your spots.
Thank you.

emb

OldManYellingAtClouds.jpg

Why fix what isn't broken is what I'm going by. :)

The old way with Pokérus and Power Items could take around the same time or maybe less with battle animations turned off.

Just keep a bunch of Sticky Notes(tm) to tally 'em up.

But, like I said, I'll give Super Training a chance again.
I'm kinda with you on this. I'll want to have the power items for breeding anyway (if it works like in BW at least) and I'll get Pokerus from transferring. With both of those things, EV training hardly takes time at all anyway.

I'm glad we can see EVs sorta now, but the super training minigames just aren't very fun imo. (Not that killing Pidgeys and Ratatas is).The biggest thing for me though, is that I hate touching the screen excessively. I just got a shiny new XL, and it feels like a shame to mindlessly smash my stylus against the screen, inevitably ruining it (even if I were careful).

Reset bags are amazing though. I just wish they were easier to get. I always hated trying to deal with those berries.

It's really not bad as it seems? It's a good way to keep track of where you are. I would imagine that you would need to do a similar thing while Super Training.

Pokémon that usually give out a base +3 EV's towards a certain field will give out +14

These battles are real quick. I never spent more than 40/45 minutes EV training in my life.
Instead of sticky notes, I just try to always use the same, 100 accuracy move. That way I can just look at the PP and multiply the number missing by the EVs per kill. I also open up a calculator on the computer, add whatever number of EVs to 0, and then hit enter every kill. That way I'll notice if I lose count with one method or the other.

With the EV chart now though, one might not even need to count. Depends on how much you care about that one extra point. Or you could just get that one first. Actually, I heard someone mention limit was 252 now, but it was just one person, probably mistaken. Worth looking at though.

Korosenai

Super training automatically stops putting ev's into a stat once it reaches 252.

And just an example of how easy it is, once you do a level 3 game for 12 ev's, the game gives you a training bag. So if you have a x2 bag, do a level 3 game in attack, then the game gives you an attack large bag, you could possibly get 36 ev's in no longer than a minute.

Should be close to hatching, trade me again when you want it to evolve.

Thanks for the Fennekin :D

Thanks to you too! Will let you know.

Btw, I'd like to know this, if someone knows the answer:

Hey GAF, I screwed up with my event Torchic. I completely forgot to check its stats/nature, and got myself a +SpDef/-Speed mon.

Is there any way to download the Torchic again without deleting the save (I know there isn't, just cheking)?

Is there a way to have it pass down its ability via breeding?

Roto13

Thank you.

That's great if you run into the Pokemon you're looking for 100% of the time and don't count the time you spend keeping track of your EVs manually (which you don't have to do with super training), but you won't, because there are tons of pokemon in every area. I went into a cave called Zubat's Roost and encountered about five different pokemon before I found a zubat.

ffdgh

You don't need notes to check Evs since super training has punching bags called reset bags that remove all Evs and show their value.

Save, use bag, see Evs, soft reset.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Are there any good spots in XY though?

There's no Vs. Seeker to find a great EV Trainer like the Magikarp man, and the increased Dex means you're not going to have an easy time finding that one specific Pokemon.

Or we're too early into the game to determine that sort of stuff?

To be honest, the more and more I hear about Super Training, the more I feel it's better than the old school way.

I'll miss it, though. Obviously if ST takes less time to do, I'll go with that.

So does anyone actually use the mega evolutions?

I have 2 Pokemon in my party that could do it but I find no reason to. They're strong enough as is and the time it takes for them to mega evolve is too long. I'm guessing it's more of a PvP kinda thing.

Watch Da Birdie

Breeding Bergmite's to find a good one to use in-game, I think I'm gonna trade off the rest of them via Wonder Trade.

I got an English one and a Japanese one too breeding, wonder if I'll find a Shiny?

EDIT: Sucks you can't Pokemon-Amie eggs, would be cool if you could tap them to speed them up.

Or we're too early into the game to determine that sort of stuff?

To be honest, the more and more I hear about Super Training, the more I feel it's better than the old school way.

I'll miss it, though. Obviously if ST takes less time to do, I'll go with that.
Sometimes, Double-Up Bags will drop in CT/ST, which makes your next training session give double EVs (+8 Level 1, +16 Level 2, +24 on Level 3). Those are the best, though they can sometimes be hard to come by.

Berordn

I have 2 Pokemon in my party that could do it but I find no reason to. They're strong enough as is and the time it takes for them to mega evolve is too long. I'm guessing it's more of a PvP kinda thing.

Mega Evolutions are significantly stronger for anything you can get in-game. If you use them regularly, it shortens the shonen-esque transformation sequence.

Gsnap

So sorry for not reading through all these pages, but how do I get a dusk stone in this game? The info isn't up on bulbapedia since I last checked, and I don't really want to google it because I want to avoid spoilers. I still don't know what Doublade's evo looks like and I'd rather not until I get it.

Watch Da Birdie

Sometimes, Double-Up Bags will drop in CT/ST, which makes your next training session give double EVs (+8 Level 1, +16 Level 2, +24 on Level 3). Those are the best.

Yep, when hatching Eggs it's great to tap the little icon so you get Extra Punching Bags.

And just an example of how easy it is, once you do a level 3 game for 12 ev's, the game gives you a training bag. So if you have a x2 bag, do a level 3 game in attack, then the game gives you an attack large bag, you could possibly get 36 ev's in no longer than a minute.
You can beat a level 3 game in less than a minute with a Pokemon with 0 EVs? I find it hard to do great damage. My gut feeling is level 2 is the fastest up to a few hundred EV then level 3 becomes slightly faster but I'm not good enough to do it in 30 secs (plus there is the animations).

I don't know if multiple power items can be obtained but if so the real advantage of random battle EV training is putting power items onto a whole team trying to gain one stat (that is another way to cut down EV training, train multiple ones at once, in older games it was a pain getting EXP share).

But it might be irrelevant if there are no good spots.

So sorry for not reading through all these pages, but how do I get a dusk stone in this game? The info isn't up on bulbapedia since I last checked, and I don't really want to google it because I want to avoid spoilers. I still don't know what Doublade's evo looks like and I'd rather not until I get it.
Secret Super training 1-6. To unlock secret super training max a Pokemons EVs (fill the right bar on super training). There is also one as a hidden item somewhere.

Jindrael

Banned
So does anyone actually use the mega evolutions?

I'm using a mega-Absol for my playthrough, got the Absolite from a friend who is already in post-game.

Tbh you really don't need megas at all in story but I really love the Absol design :)

Korosenai

You can beat a level 3 game in less than a minute with a Pokemon with 0 EVs? I find it hard to do great damage. My gut feeling is level 2 is the fastest up to a few hundred EV then level 3 becomes slightly faster but I'm not good enough to do it in 30 secs (plus there is the animations).

I don't know if multiple power items can be obtained but if so the real advantage of random battle EV training is putting power items onto a whole team trying to gain one stat (that is another way to cut down EV training, train multiple ones at once, in older games it was a pain getting EXP share).

But it might be irrelevant if there are no good spots.

Secret Super training 1-6. To unlock secret super training max a Pokemons EVs (fill the right bar on super training). There is also one as a hidden item somewhere.

When I super train a pokemon, I try to get the gold medals in whatever two stats i'm training it. So I start out trying to get gold in level 1, then when I do, I move onto level 2. Same thing for level 2, then move onto level 3. The more you ev train, the stronger your Pokemon gets, so level 3 should be pretty easy after you can gold medal it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom