• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon X Pokemon Y |OT| Gotta Catch em All...NOW IN 3D!

Status
Not open for further replies.

joelseph

I don't like plot in my Pokemon and so far the pacing has been infuriating. Not even to the 2nd gym yet and have already hit 3 plot walls and have had to actually pay attention once to progress the story. The rest of the game is pitch perfect for me.

Is the distance difference between the first and second gym ridiculously long or is the whole game this long? Seriously, I'm 15 hours in, and 3 towns past the one with the first gym and the second one is nowhere in sight.

Yeah it picks up. It took me 8 hours to get to the second gym, but now I'm almost to the 8th gym at 25 hours.

So I asked this yesterday, but no one seemed to answer. Do we know if Pokemon Amie can be used to evolve Pokemon who evolve based on Friendship? Like Pichu and Riolu? If so, what specific method accomplishes that?

Finally made it to Lumiose City last night and got my Squirtle as I needed a water-type to balance out Chespin, Combusken and Pikachu.

Also got a haircut for my trainer. Feels so much better with the new cut versus the Sasuke haircut my trainer had just before.

Yeah I'm progressing slowly, only because I spend a good amount of time playing Animal Crossing as well.

What are the optimal natures for:

Skrelp
Tyrunt (Adamant?)
Honedge
Flabebe (Modest/Calm?)
Goomy (Calm?)
Froakie
Fletchling
Helioptile
Furfrou

?

Edit: Is all of this on Smogon yet?

I personally keep it on only for trainer battles. Random encounters I like to finish quickly.

Animation off speed feels slightly slower than Gen 3 but much faster than Gen 4.

What I meant was my fully charged shots were doing total EVs worth of damage when I was training (maybe there is a minimum or a few hundred) and in secret ones seem to do 2 highest stars worth (I've not checked with a reset bag but the number seems to be about what that should be).

But certain Pokemon might have an easier time (I've seem some with faster shots).
Perhaps, though I doubt it's hardcoded for each individual Pokemon. I also wonder if IVs may be involved (I had the easiest time with a Pokemon with an apparently very good IV spread.)

I believe it automatically begins using the shortened animation sequence after the first time you mega-evolve each particular Pokemon.

Can I just add how fucking awesome it is that the battle system is the zippiest it's ever been, despite the transition to 3D? I was sure it was going to crawl like crazy, or be overblown with insane camera angles and shit that took forever.

I mean, I've kept animations on. I haven't done that since RBY.

I agree. The first thing I usually did was turn off the battle animations on a Pokemon game I got. Since the battle animations in this game are pretty fast and cool to watch, I actually keep them on for the first time.

Especially the fighting moves. They are probably the best attack animations in the game. Retaliate was the best move I've seen so far. I'm not sure if it was the Sawk I saw do it, or the animation alone but it was awesome.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So I asked this yesterday, but no one seemed to answer. Do we know if Pokemon Amie can be used to evolve Pokemon who evolve based on Friendship? Like Pichu and Riolu? If so, what specific method accomplishes that?

Yes, as Pokémon Amié raises happiness, once you get the affection to reach 3 hearts then they are ready to evolve.

daripad

I agree. The first thing I usually did was turn off the battle animations on a Pokemon game I got. Since the battle animations in this game are pretty fast and cool to watch, I actually keep them on for the first time.

Especially the fighting moves. They are probably the best attack animations in the game. Retaliate was the best move I've seen so far. I'm not sure if it was the Sawk I saw do it, or the animation alone but it was awesome.

Flying Press is amazing too

KHlover

Banned

"Acrobatics" (German name Akrobatik) has a REALLY cool animation as well.

Yes, as Pokémon Amié raises happiness, once you get the affection to reach 3 hearts then they are ready to evolve.

That can't be right, as mine is at 3 hearts right now and won't evolve. Pichu, btw.

It seems that these values drop pretty quickly, are they meant to be pretty temporary? I can't max anything out at all, at least not on Pichu.

pariah164

So... now what? I just beat the Elite Four and such...

I know there is post game, but except for being given that pass and shown the train, I'm not sure what to do. I know I need to fill the dex, catch more mons, hunt legendaries, hunt shinies...

I guess I just feel a little lost. I already want to start a new game, change my starter, change up my strategy, but thinking about dumping my current team breaks my heart.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I just got a Larvesta via Wonder Trade.

I didn't know you could even encounter one in XY at this point, it's not in the Kalos Dex, it's in the National Dex. Guess you find it with PokeRadar/Friend Safari?

Shengar

So the choice is: Skrelp or Honedege
Any suggestion?

I know there is post game, but except for being given that pass and shown the train, I'm not sure what to do. I know I need to fill the dex, catch more mons, hunt legendaries, hunt shinies...

I guess I just feel a little lost. I already want to start a new game, change my starter, change up my strategy, but thinking about dumping my current team breaks my heart.

Wait for Pokemon Bank before you start new game if you don't like dumping your current team.

pariah164

So the choice is: Skrelp or Honedege
Any suggestion?

Wait for Pokemon Bank before you start new game if you don't like dumping your current team.
Honedge.

Yeah, that's a given. Unless I can scrap together enough cash to get myself a copy of X.

Dr. Buni

I am beating the E4 now and after that, I will
trade my current team to someone else and restart the game, then ask for the person to trade them back to me later. You could do the same, if you don't want to lose your current team.

pariah164

trade my current team to someone else and restart the game, then ask for the person to trade them back to me later. You could do the same, if you don't want to lose your current team.

But then I'd be paranoid of them trading my team away by mistake or something, which has happened before. It's okay; I'll just dick around in post game for a couple of months till PokeBank goes up. That's a good idea, though.

I never really cared about the EV stuff before this gen but I've spent quite a bit of time doing the special training and all that.

So how foes that work? Like with my Tyrunt for example I have done a lot of attack stuff and improved his EV by like +30 or +40. But his attack hasn't exactly improved much.

Do I have to level him up a lot to actually see the benefits? Or what? He's only a level 30-31 I think so it won't be a big deal.

Thanks!

Trey

That's dedication.

I'm just gonna breed, EV train, finish all the post game content and fill the Pokedex when the Bank opens up. Then I can put the game down, only coming back for the occasional online battle. I'll finally get on with my life until Z releases.

To amend, it's not blackout related. Just gone back and the snooty bitch still won't let me in.

It's blackout related in the sense that you can't fill the requirements to get into the boutique until the blackout is lifted.

Donuts

So I have a level 28 riolu who I've taken a likeness to, doing the minigame training more than any other Pokemon. O just have a few questions:
1) how has he not evolved yet?
2) his mood is "lax" and characteristic is "somewhat vain.what does that mean?
3) his, I guess , "passive" ability is steadfast, is there a significantly better passive I could have gotten riolu with? I plan on having him be apart of my main team.
4) considering 2 & 3: should I capture another to get better moods n stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom