• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon X Pokemon Y |OT| Gotta Catch em All...NOW IN 3D!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ibuki

Banned
Haha yeah I just was randomly looking through my box and noticed it, dumb luck on my part but happy to share the info.

I bred a ton of eevee and sent them out over wonder trade, this is what I got in return:
*list*

Wonder Trade is for the lulz

I am going to do this with my spare Chespins later. It is actually fun and I am sure makes the recipient really happy.

yami4ct

I've sent out some Eevees, although I start sending out crap once I get 5 or 6 monkeys in one WT session.

I've gotten so many crazy things during WT sessions. I've used it to cull my Eevee population and ditch my male bred starters, but I've felt terrible with some of the trades I've got. Lots of cool things like a Charmeleon or a Lairon. Giving out out second evos seems crazy to me.

So, apparently Milotic is available in FS. Anyone know they have them? Would love to add you for later. Will probably run a Rotom-W as my water coverage until I can get a Milotic.

Fury Sense

In case anyone wasn't sure, I've just confirmed this:

SEKs0Yp.png

Was so -shocked- when stun spore didn't work on an enemy pikachu early on

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So like, this is my first Pokemon game and I have no idea which skills worth remembering and which skills should I avoid. Care to give an overwhelmed newbie some general tips on which and which to pick or toss?

yami4ct

So like, this is my first Pokemon game and I have no idea which skills worth remembering and which skills should I avoid. Care to give an overwhelmed newbie some general tips on which and which to pick or toss?

For in-game teams, whatever you've got will be fine. For competitive pokemon, I've just been looking at Smogon for standard builds. It's a bit cheap, but it at least gives me a direction to go in.

Caladrius

Higher power is generally better as long as the damage category (physical or special) matches up with your pokemon's stats.

Make sure your pokes have at least 2-3 different types of moves. That should carry through the main game and give you some footing.

Korosenai

If this is your first Pokemon game, I wouldn't even worry about natures, super training, anything until you beat the game. Just enjoy the story, don't overthink too much stuff, and then worry about this post game.

Kyle

When comparing moves there are two main factors to consider, Category, and power. The more "Power" a move has the more damage it will do.

There are two "Category" move types. Special attacks, and Physical Attacks. If your pokemon has a higher "Attack" stat physical moves will do more damage, if your pokemon has a higher "Special Attack" special attack category moves will do more damage.

Use that as your measuring stick... Of course there is a lot more to it than just that but hope that helps.

oh and physial = orange box, special = purple box with circles

edit= as others have said, having moves of different types helps, so you can have more bases covered... One thing to consider is STAB attacks, explained here

Trying not to over-explain haha

So much stuff is happening on my game right now that I'm lost. I haven't connected on the internet my whole game so everything happening right now is confusing.

Now I have all these people showing up at the bottom of the screen. The girl that I Wonder Traded with is an acquaintance now, and she's having bubble's pop up all over her. First it was the Wonder Trade symbol, then the battle symbol, and now a smiley face. Is she trying to tell me something or is this randomness?

Lkr

need some help. just beat the grass gym leader(hopefully vague enough to not spoil anything for anyone...), and now i
can access the route with the power plant but can't get into the gate. i can't go further south along the route. what am i supposed to do

Ibuki

Banned
So much stuff is happening on my game right now that I'm lost. I haven't connected on the internet my whole game so everything happening right now is confusing.

Now I have all these people showing up at the bottom of the screen. The girl that I Wonder Traded with is an acquaintance now, and she's having bubble's pop up all over her. First it was the Wonder Trade symbol, then the battle symbol, and now a smiley face. Is she trying to tell me something or is this randomness?

Those symbols just show what they are currently doing. The point is so that you can trade or battle with them again, even though you only wonder traded once.

Kyle

I believe the icons are just telling you what other people are doing... So if you try to send a trade to someone who has a battle icon, don't be surprised if they can't accept/deny your offer because they are preoccupied.

Passersby = Totally Random people
Acquaintances = People you have interacted with in some way
Friends = People on your 3DS friend list

Velcro Fly

Caught a Honedge.

Also have a Butterfree with me that knows Sleep Powder. Really nice putting stuff to sleep.

Ralts is still level 14 or 15.

Main party so far:

Quilladin - Level 22
Combusken - Level 21
Wartortle - Level 20
Ralts - Level 14

Platooning for now:

Pidgeotto - Level 20
Butterfree - Level 13

5 hours played so far. Have not reached the second gym yet.

Yay! Beat the Elite 4 and Champion.
And AZ.
Easily the worst story and plot of any Pokemon game yet, yet easily the most enjoyable in terms of gameplay mechanics and overworld design. Really, really fun ride.

Time to get the competitive team goin'. >=]

I've been thinking...outside of RBY and maybe GSC, are there any uses for Hyper Beam style moves?
My Porygon-Z back in D/P used Hyper Beam to go out on a bang with. It landed me a lot of OHKOs even when resisted.

It's a similar school of thought as to using Explosion (or SD, whichever is the better one).

iiicon

Beat this earlier today. This is my first Pokemon game since Platinum, but I really enjoyed it. Now I'm at the post-game and I'm overwhelmed with things to do, but I just caught a Growlithe so I think I'm going to be okay.

Kyle

Does anyone have any idea how the damage works in the Super Training mini-games? I've noticed over time the mini-games get easier because each soccer shot does increasingly more damage per hit on a zone... Is it based off the EV or something?

Confused as to when I should jump to level 2 then level 3 of a particular super training.

Those symbols just show what they are currently doing. The point is so that you can trade or battle with them again, even though you only wonder traded once.

I believe the icons are just telling you what other people are doing... So if you try to send a trade to someone who has a battle icon, don't be surprised if they can't accept/deny your offer because they are preoccupied.

Passersby = Totally Random people
Acquaintances = People you have interacted with in some way
Friends = People on your 3DS friend list

Thanks, makes a whole lot more sense now. That's actually a pretty cool feature.

Casanova

So pissed that I can't remove this fucking hat. I just spent like 3,000 on a haircut and I'm forced to hide it under a hat.

What gives?

need some help. just beat the grass gym leader(hopefully vague enough to not spoil anything for anyone...), and now i
can access the route with the power plant but can't get into the gate. i can't go further south along the route. what am i supposed to do
You have to use the item finder to find the keycard in the desert/badlands to enter the power plant.

Teknoman

I'm imagining Hyper Beam itself could be used for gimmicks with stuff like Pixellate and Glaciate around. Otherwise I have no idea.

They aren't bad as a latch ditch resort if you know your Pokémon is about to faint that turn, that's about it really.

Never thought about that, the two abilities I mean. Totally forgot stuff like that was floating around.

In other news, I cant believe I just got a Larvesta over Wonder Trade for an Electrike.

yami4ct

Does anyone have any idea how the damage works in the Super Training mini-games? I've noticed over time the mini-games get easier because each soccer shot does increasingly more damage per hit on a zone... Is it based off the EV or something?

Confused as to when I should jump to level 2 then level 3 of a particular super training.

Seems like your pokemon just gets better at the games the more you ST. Haven't found a pattern to it. Both the bags and games seem to increase the power as you go on. I reset my Torchic's EVs and even that seems to not have reset the shot power, so I'm not exactly sure how it works.

One last quick question. Hidden Power got nerfed, right? Is it still worth trying to run a HP Ice on a Jolteon build or should I be looking elsewhere?

Shengar

Well, since this is your very first Pokemon game, then you don't have to worry bout anything. Just played it. One thing that very important is type match up and stat attribute. Just remember where your Pokemon excell at and give them the right move against the right opponent, you'll be safe.

Also, PM me your Friend Code, here's mine :)
3179-7054-4898

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom