• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon X Pokemon Y |OT| Gotta Catch em All...NOW IN 3D!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nintendo's problem was sending out copies to stores TWO WEEKS before release!

Some of the blame has to fall on them

Uhh, I don't think you realize logistically why copies have to be sent out early...you can't just send them out the day before. It would be a nightmare to organize well. Most games, systems, etc are send out some time in advance

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Also I don't understand how Japan getting it earlier is going to make it better for the international audience except for the japanese. Instead of having english leaks we get translated japanese info weeks/months before the international release.

DaBoss

iirc that retailer closed down. :(

God damn, Nintendo gets shit done it seems.

Nintendo's problem was sending out copies to stores TWO WEEKS before release!

Some of the blame has to fall on them

This is true too, but it is only one store that did it ridiculously early.

Instead of legendaries and the like... It is obviously clear now that Mega Evos are the new carrot that GF holds over are heads moving foraward with the series. As much a sI want to like them, they're are pure novelty since they can't even be gathered and stored aside from keeping a present save active and trading between versions.

That just seems backwards. They would have to be able to provide every mega stone in every new gen again and again.

Uhh, I don't think you realize logistically why copies have to be sent out early...you can't just send them out the day before. It would be a nightmare to organize well. Most games, systems, etc are send out some time in advance

I think the norm is a week early.

Trey

The leaks. The ruining of GameFreak and Nintendo's worldwide release plan. I have very little doubt that the chances of us getting a worldwide launch is diminished. I think the best case scenario now is same-month. Japan at the start, rest of the world at the end.

What would that functionally change? The hardcore will still find out everything about the game before it releases locally.

You guys crying about leaks... I've gone completely dark aside from the starters' final evolutions. Can't wait for Friday night!

I'm pretty close to dark on the whole thing too. Was trying to limit myself to just what Nintendo was posting. There's still so much I have no idea about and it's pretty nice.

Otherwise, I have a zillion other games I can play before Saturday. Not to mention work and just life in general. I have restrained frothing demand. :p

Mr-Joker

Banned
You just made me realize something.
Pokémon Bank will work for every new gen, so getting an old TM or item in a new game wouldn't probably work. I guess that's the reason for "no hold items".

But you can't transfer TM from gen 4 to gen 5 and Pokémon in gen 5 can't hold TM.

The thing that pisses me off is the mega stones. If we can't bring it with Pokemon Bank, how will we get mega stones in the future?

You don't, Mega stone stay in gen 6 and will be a gen 6 gimmick.

Seriously I hate mega evolution and don't want them in gen 7 and onwards, unless Game Freak doesn't make the same mistake they did for Gen 6.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
But you can't transfer TM from gen 4 to gen 5 and Pokémon in gen 5 can't hold TM.

Seriously I hate mega evolution and don't want them in gen 7 and onwards, unless Game Freak doesn't make the same mistake they did for Gen 6.

I wouldn't bet on that.

Teknoman

Its going to have to. Has there ever been a special Pokemon design that never showed up again? Aside from flying Pikachu?

I'm sure flying battles are here to stay as well (are those just a way to restrict certain pokemon from battles?)

Aggrotek

I'm pretty close to dark on the whole thing too. Was trying to limit myself to just what Nintendo was posting. There's still so much I have no idea about and it's pretty nice.

Otherwise, I have a zillion other games I can play before Saturday. Not to mention work and just life in general. I have restrained frothing demand. :p

I am in the same boat. I think I got spoiled on one thing but it wasn't enough to make me super angry. This is as fresh as I could have been, and it's almost as fresh as going into Generation 1.

Dragoshi1

I wish Gamestop was allowed to break street date.

The only time they did that for me was Fire Emblem Awakening. But that was because they told me Nintendo lifted the street date since shipping for the game was messed up.

LOL, gloriously delusional. Megas are here to stay. They're the next big thing for the series. Battle mechanics have never been removed up to this point and there's no reason to think they will be

Dr. Buni

I am pretty sure every post-Gen 6 generation will have mega evolutions. Generation VII will introduce a few Pokémon
(less than 100 again)
and a handful Mega Evolutions, exactly like Generation 6. Also, Game Freak did 0 mistakes in Gen VI, I have no idea what are you talking about. Mega Evolutions are a good thing, they make old Pokémon relevant again and with Mega Evolutions, Game Freak doesn't need to
create 100+ Pokémon every new generation
, regardless of you hating them or not.

That just seems backwards. They would have to be able to provide every mega stone in every new gen again and again.
At the same time it means all stones can potentially carry forward without say 2 gens down the line having the only way to get certain ones being carrying it forward from that gen. Or like formes they allow you to switch through via other means (it does not lock them down to only the stone).

Isn't it some things in Gen 5 can only be obtained from Gen 3 transfers? ExtremeSpeed Zigzagoon for instance. So unless that is now an egg move or something you are still going to have to transfer it forward from games bordering on 10 years old interacting with another ancient game (Box R/S).

I guess you could say that is an event monster and while it does not exclude event exclusive mega for gen 6, at least gen 7 won't be tied to those.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I still dislike the concept of MegaEvolutions deeply and wish they weren't present, but I simply can't see Gamefreak removing them. They're going to become a series staple, easily.

SeZMehK

A couple of days left and the days became longer to me. I have all this work to do and time doesn't want to move... >.>

Generation VII will introduce a few Pokémon
(less than 100 again)
and a handful Mega Evolutions, exactly like Generation 6.

Game Freak doesn't need to

Ew. I pray to Arceus that you're wrong.

Sorry, but I like having more than 100 new Pokemon in a new gen. It's cool that you feel differently, but I would avoid being so matter-of-fact about it.

Ironic, huh?

DaBoss

At the same time it means all stones can potentially carry forward without say 2 gens down the line having the only way to get certain ones being carrying it forward from that gen. Or like formes they allow you to switch through via other means (it does not lock them down to only the stone).

Isn't it some things in Gen 5 can only be obtained from Gen 3 transfers? ExtremeSpeed Zigzagoon for instance. So unless that is now an egg move or something you are still going to have to transfer it forward from games bordering on 10 years old interacting with another ancient game (Box R/S).

I guess you could say that is an event monster and while it does not exclude event exclusive mega for gen 6, at least gen 7 won't be tied to those.

I guess so, but there are lots of mega evolutions with more yet to be revealed and we don't know if they will bring back all stones in future gens. Like the Blazikenite is known to be event exclusive in gen 6.

You can still trade Pokemon holding items... smh.

Pokemon Bank is going to be used in the future too, so hold items not transferring over would be a bad thing.

Keyouta

Someone on 4chan last night posted the entirety of the backstory and narrative. I find that unacceptable :/

And I find it incredibly easy to skip over that information to keep the story fresh for myself. People who want that information will get it before the official launch no matter where the games released first.

Of course it would be nice for the retailers to hold to the release date, but that's not something that I'd expect to ever happen. That said, doesn't Nintendo put on shipping boxes stuff like "Releases October 12, do not open" or saying if it's opened and sold the store can be sued, etc. Is that not possible to do?

However, if I got the game's two weeks before release though, I wouldn't leak the info on the internet, I'd keep the story and new Pokemon to myself to help keep the game fresh for everyone.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So without anyone spoiling, I do have a question about leaks.

Have future legendary been found in the files like in previous games where future Pokemon were known years before they showed up in a movie or an event, or has Nintendo made it true DLC with these guys so the surprise isn't ruined this early?

Trey

I am pretty sure every post-Gen 6 generation will have mega evolutions. Generation VII will introduce a few Pokémon
(less than 100 again)
and a handful Mega Evolutions, exactly like Generation 6. Also, Game Freak did 0 mistakes in Gen VI, I have no idea what are you talking about. Mega Evolutions are a good thing, they make old Pokémon relevant again and with Mega Evolutions, Game Freak doesn't need to

Hardly. I would say only a scant few of the Mega Evos were irrelevant. I can only think of Mawhile and
the divisive Jynx
off the top of my head. The rest are highly popular Pokemon, pseudo legendaries, or OU mainstays.

Keyouta

Have future legendary been found in the files like in previous games where future Pokemon were known years before they showed up in a movie or an event, or has Nintendo made it true DLC with these guys so the surprise isn't ruined this early?

No. 3DS games aren't so easily data mined like the DS titles.

And yes, Game Freak could make a future Pokemon DLC, so that if the title's were data mined, the hidden Pokemon wouldn't even have traces in the game yet.

They might be in the files... We have no way to tell though. AFAIK 3DS ROM encryption is still uncracked.

I guess I'm the third of this legendary trio of replies...
3DS is encrypted so nobody knows. I wouldn't put it past Gamefreak to not even have their data on the card though (spotpass download etc).

DaBoss

I doubt the data is not in the game. It will be an actual surprise for event Pokemon through distributions.

Hardly. I would say only a scant few of the Mega Evos were irrelevant. I can only think of Mawhile and another Pokemon off the top of my head. The rest are highly popular Pokemon, pseudo legendaries, or OU mainstays.

You should remove the spoiler and replace it with that.

There is no warning as to what it is.

Someone on 4chan last night posted the entirety of the backstory and narrative. I find that unacceptable :/

Why does this diminish enjoyment for the games when it happens less than a week before launch, and not six months before launch?

I understand how it's frustrating in terms of your site, but, leaks or no leaks, this is miles better for Western consumers than the previous arrangements.

yukonrye

X will be the first game I've played since Blue and I only played that about halfway through. I'm really just picking this up to get a better understanding of the series. Are these game challenging at all or does everything come down simply to grinding?

Also, any good deals out there? I saw TRU is offering 1/2 off B&W with purchase.

X will be the first game I've played since Blue and I only played that about halfway through. I'm really just picking this up to get a better understanding of the series. Are these game challenging at all or does everything come down simply to grinding?

Also, any good deals out there? I saw TRU is offering 1/2 off B&W with purchase.

They're not challenging, and usually there's not a ton of grinding you'll have to do, unless you're trying to get a low level pokemon caught up to the rest of your team. Although the new EXP. Share will help make leveling multiple pokemon much easier.

DaBoss

Challenge depends on how you play and the person. Since it is pretty much completely new to you, it may be challenging. The games have never been really grindy, but it did exist. However, it has been getting less grindier every game, and now that X/Y brings changes to EXP Share, it makes the game's grinding non-existant.

only leak i'm interested in is mewtwo. I assume you can catch him in this? Will all those promoting, i hope i don't have to transfer him from hg over...

maybe he's an early lvl 40 legendary!

Raven77

I'm getting this Saturday, haven't played a pokemon game since silver. I have also seen nothing but the base starters, haven't even looked at the pokemon in the games I haven't played yet.

350 new pokemons for me I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom