• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon X Pokemon Y |OT| Gotta Catch em All...NOW IN 3D!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acid08

Banned
Proposal!

I need a timid/modest Nidoran or Nidorino(pref. Nidorino)

Have a Fennekin and Chespin to trade if anyone is interested.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Huh, could have sworn it was but I don't remember any instances particular. I just remember sweeping the fairy gym with my Charizard. I'm probably wrong then.

You probably just massively overpowered it, like I did. Somehow I managed to get through the entire game, made a balanced team, and nothing got access to a poison move.

slash3584

Is the GTS working? Found some really nice trades and everytime I tried to continue I got the press POWER button to exit game.

It's getting really frustating.

Neiteio

Right but why have both Spike Cannon and Icicle Spear? Spike Cannon does less damage and is a normal type move. If something resist ice attack just use hydro pump.
I'm opting for Shell Smash/Icicle Spear (Skill Link)/Poison Jab/Razor Shell or Hydro Pump.

I'm conflicted between Razor Shell and Hydro Pump on my Jolly Cloyster (+Speed, -Sp. Attk).

Hydro Pump is a Special attack, and my Cloyster is decreased Sp. Attk. Hydro Pump is also less accurate than Razor Shell. However, it's 35 BP stronger (110 - 75).

Razor Shell, on the other hand, is Physical, playing off my Attack EVs and neutral nature for Attack. It's 95% accurate and has a 50% chance of lowering the target's defense. With STAB and Shell Smash, it should still be strong.

The question is, would Shell Smash Hydro Pump on a Jolly Cloyster with no Sp. Attk EVs be better than Shell Smash Razor Shell on a Jolly Cloyster with Attk EVs.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm opting for Shell Smash/Icicle Spear (Skill Link)/Poison Jab/Razor Shell or Hydro Pump.

I'm conflicted between Razor Shell and Hydro Pump on my Jolly Cloyster (+Speed, -Sp. Attk).

Hydro Pump is a Special attack, and my Cloyster is decreased Sp. Attk. Hydro Pump is also less accurate than Razor Shell. However, it's 35 BP stronger (110 - 75).

Razor Shell, on the other hand, is Physical, playing off my Attack EVs and neutral nature for Attack. It's 95% accurate and has a 50% chance of lowering the target's defense. With STAB and Shell Smash, it should still be strong.

The question is, would Shell Smash Hydro Pump on a Jolly Cloyster with no Sp. Attk EVs be better than Shell Smash Razor Shell on a Jolly Cloyster with Attk EVs.

Considering you're going for a physical build you should go with Razor Shell. The EVs and Shell Smash should more than make up for the loss in base power.

Prozel

Is the GTS working? Found some really nice trades and everytime I tried to continue I got the press POWER button to exit game.

It's getting really frustating.

The same happens for me when I search only for Pokemons I have and trade with. Try trading again without any search filters this time.

t26

Hydro Pump would break through physical walls. It would give you more option even though it is doing less damage. So really both moves have their pros and cons.

upandaway

Just started it this game is crazy it's all 3D and there's a hair color thing and you can move diangonally and IT'S YOU CAN MOVE DIAGONALLY AND OH GOD HE'S IN PAJAMAS how can someone sit on a chair in such a cute way this is illegal I need a break you guys

I need some time to process this

edit: the wiimote is white but the wii u is black
I got White first and then Black 2
It's like it's speaking directly to my heart

Neiteio

Hydro Pump would break through physical walls. It would give you more option even though it is doing less damage. So really both moves have their pros and cons.
Hmm, you might have a point about Hydro Pump. Would Hydro Pump, with STAB and Shell Smash boost, still be useful, even though I have no Sp. Attk EV investment, and even though a Jolly nature decreases Sp. Attk growth?

Just started it this game is crazy it's all 3D and there's a hair color thing and you can move diangonally and IT'S YOU CAN MOVE DIAGONALLY AND OH GOD HE'S IN PAJAMAS how can someone sit on a chair in such a cute way this is illegal I need a break you guys

Hahaha, these impressions are adorable XD

Stuart444

So I'm about to go breed an Eevee I just caught (so I can evolve it into Sylveon at it's most earliest point after it learns it's first fairy move) and I think I'm going to 'attempt' to get a good nature (and EV train it via Super training). Will be my first Pokemon where I have tried to get everything perfect with.

So 2 questions:

1. Is a Modest nature (which according to Bulbapedia raises SP atk and lowers atk) good for my eventual Sylveon?

2. What stats should I EV train in Super Training? (going to do this straight away so I don't need to worry about resetting previously gotten EVs)

Shengar

My Yvonne hold a Pikachu 3DS XL when she awake. Yours hardly illegal.

Shoyz

Isn't Super Training easier when your Pokemon is a higher level? My Charizard gets three times as many points as my Pumpkaboo per shot hit. Probably negates the effort of finding a reset (which is none really it seemed like, I found 3 reset bags during one EV training)

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Isn't Super Training easier when your Pokemon is a higher level? My Charizard gets three times as many points as my Pumpkaboo per shot hit. Probably negates the effort of finding a reset (which is none really it seemed like, I found 3 reset bags during one EV training)

only easier because some of hte EV points have already been assigned, they get easier as you earn more super training points

Prozel

With all the Wondertrade I don't use a single mon I've catched myself, plus Exp Share which I cant stop using, I feel like I'm cheating. Oh well, finally I can use Ralts and Bagon from the get go.

Stuart444

I hear reset bags are random enough that you'll either find one quickly or take a while to find one.

(I've not tried Super Training yet btw so I don't even know what's involved yet)

GamerSoul

These Gym Leaders can't handle my Chestnaught right now. I think I'm going to train a few more pokemon to keep things interesting. Carbink, I don't know the hell you are, but I'm gonna raise you for now.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
only easier because some of hte EV points have already been assigned, they get easier as you earn more super training points

Yep. Start off with an easy course for a bit to get some EVs in, after that you'll be able to move up to the harder ones.

I hear reset bags are random enough that you'll either find one quickly or take a while to find one.

(I've not tried Super Training yet btw so I don't even know what's involved yet)

They just sort of show up every now and again on the main screen while you're running around so keep it open. I've got two already, I used one on a Blaziken.

Stuart444

Hmm, did a google and people are saying either Modest for better Sp. Atk or Calm for better Sp. Def for Sylveon

Gotta think now what is better...

Shoyz

Man safaris -have- to have higher odds of shinies.

I got bored of money grinding and decided to pop in my Lampent+Phantump safari for a chance at a shiny of either of them. Within 3 minutes ran into a shiny Dusklops.

Kinda sour it was the one Pokemon I didn't want but hey; second shiny! :)

Gvaz

Banned
I got sick of having to look shit up online that I bought the book with my employee discount

rad. this book is rad.

Tirod

My first two Battle Spot matches went well. The first one wasn't anything to write home about, I think it was just some kid from Texas.

The second battle was against someone from Japan though, and that was a good one! He actually forfeited the match though once his last Pokemon came out. /:

Didn't think I'd get back into competitive, but I think I might.

yami4ct

Just had an Aegislash mirror match online. Some of the most fun I've had playing mind games. It all became about predicting when the other player would King's Shield, when they would Shadow Sneak and when they'd boost. Ultimately, I lost that fight by a narrow margin. We were both red and his Aegislash was faster on a shadow sneak than me.

Of course, my Blsziken then came out and wiped the floor with the last of Aegis' health and his Alakazam, but damn if that Aegislash match wasn't super nerve wracking.

You know, I've said this before, but I really anticipate the competitive scene (though I don't compete). Like, the amount of things this gen added to keep track of... like when your opponent will Mega Evolve, so as to take advantage of an ability -
Mega Tyranitar's
Sand Stream, for example. Everything seems like it'll be interesting.

Oh, while I'm at it - so, this pill at the
Battle Maison
that allows Pokemon with two abilities to switch between them... is it new?

Seik

Banned
Haha, oh my god that was good.

Came back from work at 1AM, start the game, do a couple of fight and progress to the next city (only have 2 badges so far, I need to give it all this week-end!). End up in a Pokecenter to heal everyone up and then I thought the game freezed up because it was stuck in a kind of semi-black screen, as if it freezed up while entering it.

Then boom, confetti and stuff going everywhere and everyone tells me happy birthday. :D

NpM5kSL.jpg

My face when that happened. I thought it was funny that the first thing saying this to me was this game, even before all the facebook happy wishes!

So I have a bit of a preliminary team for random wi-fi battles right now and I have to say, Togekiss is a bit of a monster this generation.

For instance, earlier someone used a Mega Gengar as a lead against my Togekiss lead. They used Thunderbolt and to their horror Togekiss did not faint, it only gave a : ) back and then used Thunder Wave. Sure, next turn it couldn't finish Gengar with an Air Slash or get it to flinch, but after that moment I'm sure that person learned that just because they turned an already powerful Pokemon into something with legendary-level stats they'll never be safe from Togekiss: Destroyer of Hope.

yami4ct

You know, I've said this before, but I really anticipate the competitive scene (though I don't compete). Like, the amount of things this gen added to keep track of... like when your opponent will Mega Evolve, so as to take advantage of an ability -
Mega Tyranitar's
Sand Stream, for example. Everything seems like it'll be interesting.

Oh, while I'm at it - so, this pill at the
Battle Maison
that allows Pokemon with two abilities to switch between them... is it new?

Pretty sure the ability thing is new, though pretty sure it doesn't work on Hidden Abilities, so it's uses are limited.

Yeah, working around your opponents megas is super fun. I love when my opponent has multiple mega-capable pokemon and I have to predict what they're going to do. The most often thing I've seen is Mega Gengar, though. He's not a threat to my team, so he's kind of boring. He comes in and deploys Shadow Tag, but it's useless because I blow him away 1-2 turns later. He seems like he could be amazing in some situations, but he's also pretty worthless when dropped in something disadvantages.

Quick question, is there any online mode that lets you do full 6 v 6 matches? The draft stuff for ranked is fun. It adds a layer of strategy and makes matches quicker, but I love the dynamic of full team on team stuff.

Atlantis

Clefairy is available in the Friend Safari!?
Spr_2c_035.gif

Not planning on doing any trading/online stuff until I complete the story, but if anyone has access to her and wouldn't mind saving one I'd love you forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom