• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon X Pokemon Y |OT| Gotta Catch em All...NOW IN 3D!

Status
Not open for further replies.

_woLf

I mean, to be fair, this has been known for a reeaaaaally long time.

To those who followed it, sure. I wasn't following it at all -- something that big should be very clearly in the product description.

edit: let me clarify, in no way do I believe it's a bad game. I haven't played it enough to judge it but given that it's the same formula that they've been using for over 15 years I doubt it's bad. But when you advertise that this is the first Pokemon game on Nintendo 3DS, and show that "The world is in 3D now!" you tend to make the connection that, well, since there are actual 3D models and such now, it will support 3D. It's not exactly the most pleasing surprise that fans of the series would like to run in to, especially since it's on a system designed from the ground up to play games in 3D.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Why don't I get to see the stat-ups when a nonactive Pokemon level up? Dumb change is dumb.

And where's my habitat dex?

And why aren't in-battle stat changes color coded anymore =(

ivysaur12

Banned
To those who followed it, sure. I wasn't following it at all -- something that big should be very clearly in the product description.

edit: let me clarify, in no way do I believe it's a bad game. I haven't played it enough to judge it but given that it's the same formula that they've been using for over 15 years I doubt it's bad. But when you advertise that this is the first Pokemon game on Nintendo 3DS, and show that "The world is in 3D now!" you tend to make the connection that, well, since there are actual 3D models and such now, it will support 3D. It's not exactly the most pleasing surprise that fans of the series would like to run in to, especially since it's on a system designed from the ground up to play games in 3D.

?

I mean. It's known that it's not 3D in the overworld. I don't know what you want. Nintendo reps to accost you before you buy the game? I'm pissed the feature is missing, too, but, I mean, it's been known for a while this is what it is. Sort of on you for not knowing, to be honest.

Why doesn't Nintendo say in any of the promotional stuff that there isn't much 3D? I almost want to ask for a refund because of it. I'm sure it's a great game, but I really freaking expect my Nintendo 3DS games to play Nintendo-developed flagship titles in 3D. It's beyond unacceptable and just pretty much an open admission (to me at least) that Nintendo has absolutely no idea what they're doing anymore.
Go get your money back dude, if all your gonna do is cry sorry, we dont have tissues for it.

The lack of 3D is still a real headscratcher to me. I play with it off anyway so it's not a huge deal to me, but the lingering question of why will probably never leave.

Bog

Junior Ace
Why doesn't Nintendo say in any of the promotional stuff that there isn't much 3D? I almost want to ask for a refund because of it. I'm sure it's a great game, but I really freaking expect my Nintendo 3DS games to play Nintendo-developed flagship titles in 3D. It's beyond unacceptable and just pretty much an open admission (to me at least) that Nintendo has absolutely no idea what they're doing anymore.

You realize this launched alongside something called the 2DS, right?

The frame rate is already awful with it on.

I haven't played a lot yet, but so far the battles haven't had a difference. Maybe 3 dips occurred in about an hour and a half of messing around on Route 2.

As I said earlier though, my eyes are pretty shot for lack of sleep, so I may not have been catching it due to that.

The frame rate is already awful with it on.

Not really much of an excuse, considering what the game looks like.

Like I said, it doesn't really have any bearing on the game being great or not, I'm loving it so far. It's just weird. It's not something that's happened with any other 3DS games I don't think, and I haven't been following the launch religiously so I just plumb had no idea they were releasing the game this way.

I mean yeah, at the end of the day, shrugsville. I rarely use 3D except for a few games. It's still strange to me that Pokemon of all things isn't 3D (yes, I know it's launching with the 2DS).

Also, I will say - as bad as the overworld graphics are, hot damn I love some of the battle models. There has never been a weedle with rounder segments.

I mean, no, you just didn't use google.

Has googling "is ____ on 3DS in 3D?" ever been something people have needed to do before buying a 3DS game?

bart64

Banned
That was my first reaction too. Now I'm curious if the graphics, or amount of detail, are noticeably better in the 2d sections. It's nice that the new 2ds crowd can feel they are using the full power of their machine, but I really like 3d.

I wonder what people will think after playing for a week or so.

_woLf

I mean, no, you just didn't use google.

Sorry I didn't use google? What are you even talking about? I should not have to google "Does this Nintendo 3DS game support 3D?" ESPECIALLY if it's by Nintendo.

pokemon_boxart.jpg

The box art says 3DS. That, to me and most normal gamers who haven't been religiously following this game for the past 8 months, means it'll have 3D support. You know -- like every single other 3DS game. I understand this is being launched beside the 2DS. That's fine. All I am saying is that they simply should have said something about it on the eshop about it.

edit: IN FACT, the box says the game is playable in both 2D and 3D. Again, that (to me) means ALL of the game. Not SOME of the game. At very low framerates.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
The lack of 3D is still a real headscratcher to me. I play with it off anyway so it's not a huge deal to me, but the lingering question of why will probably never leave.

It's because Game Freak didn't see it as a priority. There is no reason this game couldn't run in 3D other than their programmers not being bothered. We all remember the outcry when the first screens of Ruby/Sapphire were released, they've never been big on presentation. I'm sure Pokemon Z will be much more polished and be 100% 3D.

We had to wait almost 15 years for the sprites to be animated after all.

Sandfox

Sorry I didn't use google? What are you even talking about? I should not have to google "Does this Nintendo 3DS game support 3D?" ESPECIALLY if it's by Nintendo.

The box art says 3DS. That, to me and most normal gamers who haven't been religiously following this game for the past 8 months, means it'll have 3D support. You know -- like every single other 3DS game. I understand this is being launched beside the 2DS. That's fine. All I am saying is that they simply should have said something about it on the eshop about it.

The final version of the box says "Playable in 2D. Some areas also playable in 3D" on the bottom instead of "Playable in 2D and 3D".

_woLf

The final version of the box says "Playable in 2D. Some areas also playable in 3D" on the bottom instead of "Playable in 2D and 3D".

Cool. I didn't buy the retail version. That is something they should put on the eShop description.

In fact, the "Compatible Features/Accessories" area of the game's eShop description clearly says "Displays 3D visuals." They don't say "Some areas, at a framerate so low it's not even worth it".

mandiller

The overworld actually has a 3D effect when you're inside a cave. That's the only place I've seen it happen so far. As soon as you leave the cave the game goes back to 2D. It looks pretty good and makes me wonder why they've couldn't make the whole game 3D...

Sandfox

The overworld actually has a 3D effect when you're inside a cave. That's the only place I've seen it happen so far. As soon as you leave the cave the game goes back to 2D. It looks pretty good and makes me wonder why they've couldn't make the whole game 3D...

It would probably lag really bad in towns and routes with lots of people.

Shiggie

framerate. It barely playable for me in battles.

Bullza2o

Yeah the 3D sterescopic battles are way too laggy for me. As a fan of the feature I'm disappointed, but I still enjoy the graphics. Very smooth on 2D mode.

Awesome game, 2 hours so far reached the Pokemon Center. I have to sleep cause I have work tomorrow :(

Got tired of soft resetting for Timid Fennekin that I decided to stay with Modest Fennekin.
It has Somewhat Vain, hopefully it gets those 31 IVs in SpD! :)

My buddy is playing through Y right now (he downloaded). I live in a smallish city so I have to wait until 9am before I can pick up X. So I've just been watching him play.

He chose Chespin, I'm choosing Froakie.

Found all three of the monkeys in the forest within like 2 minutes of each other. Good times. There's a good lot of pokemon given to you early on, it seems.

mandiller

Can someone tell me what town the second gym is in? It's been ages since the first gym and my pokemon are almost level 30 which is the obedience cap.

Lynd7

It really is unacceptable in the implementation of the 3D effect in this game. Fine, limit it to battles only, but don't drop it for certain kinds of battles etc! Having the effect come on in certain interiors is also strange and really inconsistant. It's not good presentation in this department.

It really feels as though it wasn't a decision they made, but rather that they could not keep the game running well in full 3D. Their engine must have some problem with it or something, it shouldn't be that hard. Pretty much every other game on 3DS has zero problems with doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom