• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Police fires 20 shots at huge shark after deadly attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
A 14-ft shark, believed to be a great white, has killed a man swimming off a beach near Auckland, New Zealand. Seeing the huge shark attack the man, witnesses called for help and emergency services rushed to the scene. A police officer fired from an inflatable rescue boat at the shark, which had been joined by another, as lifeguards tried to recover the man's body. One witness reported about 20 shots being fired. Inspector Shawn Rutene confirmed a police officer fired at the shark responsible for the man's death: "We don't know whether he hit it, but it rolled off and disappeared."

A police statement said that the man suffered fatal injuries in the attack.

"Police and surf life savers went out in two IRBs (inflatable rescue boats) and fired on the shark. It rolled over and disappeared," Inspector Shawn Rutene said.

Fisherman Pio Mose told Stuff news website: "All of a sudden... we saw the shark fin and next minute, boom, attack him, then blood everywhere on the water."

Mr Mose said the man was still alive when "we saw another attack pull him in the water". Other local reports also said more than one shark may have been involved.

It is still unclear what species of shark attacked the man, but officials say great whites had recently been reported in the area.

Source.

Another Source with video of the shark.

Source.

pestul

You have to give mad props to a species that can survive for hundreds of millions of years virtually unchanged. Perfect ocean predator.

Az

I love sharks, but in one of those "you stay where you are I stay over here in the shallow" way.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
JAWSGARAND1.jpg

"Smile, you son of a bitch!"

Bombadil

Banned
I just have no pity for them. I look at them, and see nothing redeemable about their existence. If they ceased to exist today, the ocean is diverse and adaptive enough to fill their void with something else - not necessarily something more aggressive.

Sharks are hugely misunderstood.
They can fuck you up but people swimming ARE in their territory.

No, cajunator. Every square inch of this planet, land or ocean, is man's territory. And I'm not trying to be biblical when I say that. I'm just pointing out mankind's dominance in the world. This shark fucked with one man. Guess what's going to happen to him and the next 20 sharks they find.

Getting justice on a shark seems weird, heh. It didn't premeditate killing the guy. The guy was swimming where it was, and it's a wild animal and happened to attack.

I feel bad for the guy though for his bad luck.

Log4Girlz

Hai guise, guess what the probability of me getting attacked by a shark is? 0% I don't swim in the fucking ocean. Fuck that shit, there be monsters.

Mordeccai

I just have no pity for them. I look at them, and see nothing redeemable about their existence. If they ceased to exist today, the ocean is diverse and adaptive enough to fill their void with something else - not necessarily something more aggressive.

No, cajunator. Every square inch of this planet, land or ocean, is man's territory. And I'm not trying to be biblical when I say that. I'm just pointing out mankind's dominance in the world. This shark fucked with one man. Guess what's going to happen to him and the next 20 sharks they find.

They are literally pinnacles of evolution and older than most animals on the planet. I don't think you understand what happens to a food chain or ecosystem when an apex predator disappears.

I have no fear of the water. Shark attacks are so damn rare that to avoid the ocean as a whole because of them would be like avoiding eating canned goods because you could get botulism or avoiding going outside because you could get hit by lightning or a car. If you don't like the water thats one thing but if you do and are just afraid of shark attacks, don't be. I can't tell you how many times I've just jumped into the vast expanse of ocean and looked below me in scuba gear to see nothing but vast deep black expanse below and NOTHING has ever come up out of there and swallowed or eaten me, nor have I been fucked with when I got to the bottom. Well, one time I had a lemon shark follow me around for half an hour and bump me with his nose but he was pretty chill.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Deeper, bluer, my hand is like a shark's fin. Deeper, bluer, my hand is like a shark's fin. Deeper, bluer, my hand is like a shark's fin. Deeper, bluer, my hand is like a shark's fin. Deeper, bluer, my hand is like a shark's fin. Deeper, bluer, my hand is like a shark's fin. Deeper, bluer, my hand is like a shark's fin. Deeper, bluer, my hand is like a shark's fin. Deeper, bluer, my hand is like a shark's fin. Deeper, bluer, my hand is like a shark's fin. Deeper, bluer, my hand is like a shark's fin.

FStop7

Banned

Are you off your meds?

Do you feel the same way about lions or tigers?

I have no pity for sharks. If they all went exinct today, I wouldn't be sad at all.

Don't understand this. Sharks can be deadly obviously, but there aren't that many fatailities world wide from shark attacks each year. I think there were only something like 20-25 in 2012. There are other creatures that are far more deadly.

482543_10151331105734053_1711939299_n.jpg

Booties

Banned
I dunno, if you see a shark in the water you should be going in the water for a while. I saw a really small one in the surf on an island just outside Savannah and wouldn't go out past my knees. Had to play in the mud like a baby.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
They are literally pinnacles of evolution and older than most animals on the planet. I don't think you understand what happens to a food chain or ecosystem when an apex predator disappears.
Are sharks truly apex predators if orcas feed on them at times?

Bombadil

Banned

Nothing bad happens. Things change.

Mordeccai, you are also a pinnacle of evolution. The fact that you are here today means that a very long line of ancestors preceded you.

To make a Mordeccai from scratch, first we had to create a universe.

Fuck sharks. To come all this way, and be shot down by the bullets of man. Ha, I scoff. Haha.

Jenga

Banned
cops abusing their rights in this country to shoot sharks

when are all the sharks gonna rise up and do something about it?

smh america

Bombadil

Banned
Lol we are the worst species on earth. We drop nuclear and chemical weapons on each other. Why stop at sharks? What about tigers, lions, bears, etc.

We also help each other. We share our food, our ideas, our medicine, our homes.

As for the lions and tigers and bears, we own them, too. We train them in circuses and cage them in zoos for our children to point at and laugh.

Mordeccai

Nothing bad happens. Things change.

Mordeccai, you are also a pinnacle of evolution. The fact that you are here today means that a very long line of ancestors preceded you.

To make a Mordeccai from scratch, first we had to create a universe.

Fuck sharks. To come all this way, and be shot down by the bullets of man. Ha, I scoff. Haha.

Heres a simple chain of events. Apex predator disappears. What ever they were feeding on (common example for sharks is sting rays) suddenly has a massive boom in population because they aren't being controlled. Now, sting rays gotta eat too. Unfortunately, there aren't enough clams, muscles, scallops for all the sting rays to eat to survive very long.

So the rays will eat the shellfish to extinction, which fucks over everything else that eats shellfish. Then the population of sting rays dies off because oh shit, no food. Congrats, you've just destabilized hundreds of years of an established ecosystem.
Are sharks truly apex predators if orcas feed on them at times?

Well you can define apex as a predator without predators, or in the case of a marine ecosystem they are organisms that sit on a trophic level of at least four. All this means is that as you go up the food chain, it took three organisms to feed the shark in essence. Lets say, coral -> parrotfish -> marlin -> shark.

Protein the gif above is from Far Cry 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom